ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > All about Grammar & Tenses - The correct way to say/use .... ask it here !!
Total Views: 143505
Page 6 of 284 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›

vidavacia - 21/06/2010 02:54 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Orthanc
Thanks for the enlightenment .

If I'm finally wrong, I must admit that it's because I used to study PPC using sentences with reference of period only, and consider that its usage without such reference is due to customary use, or simply that I may need to learn again.

same here, bro. in a way, it's also enlightened me. i believe discussions can re-enforce our knowledge. well, you made me open the book i've kept for years

yaaayyy, this is my 500th post.
cendol please.. *p1nk3d_books mode: on: wkwkwkwk....
Orthanc - 21/06/2010 03:01 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By vidavacia
same here, bro. in a way, it's also enlightened me. i believe discussions can re-enforce our knowledge. well, you made me open the book i've kept for years

yaaayyy, this is my 500th post.
cendol please.. *p1nk3d_books mode: on: wkwkwkwk....

I've just remembered that I may have the same book inside one of my cabinets .

anyway, I've given my last cendol to someone else today. Maybe I can deliver one to your fridge tomorrow :toast
vidavacia - 21/06/2010 03:27 PM

Quote:
I've just remembered that I may have the same book inside one of my cabinets .

anyway, I've given my last cendol to someone else today. Maybe I can deliver one to your fridge tomorrow :toast

hehe.. i was just kidding, but it'll be super nice. thanks
honestshop - 21/06/2010 10:55 PM

Hi all exactly I can't find the right thread for people to help me solve my problem.
Can anyone help me provide good sentences for my email reply below, i just fell this is not the good one.

"Dear Google

Thanks for your fast response.
I'm sorry not give you clear contact information in contact us page, actually we provide clear contact information in about us page, let me know if you haven't check them. Also let me know if we should move them to contact us page so you can accept us in google news

Our organization really interested provide unique articles for google news, we cross our finger so google can accept our application

Thanks for your consideration

Regards
"
unitedforone07 - 22/06/2010 12:10 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By honestshop
Hi all exactly I can't find the right thread for people to help me solve my problem.
Can anyone help me provide good sentences for my email reply below, i just fell this is not the good one.

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your prompt response.
I'm sorry not to give you clear contact information in "contact us" page. Actually we provide clear contact information in "about us" page, please let me know if you haven't looked through it. Also let me know if we should move them to "contact us" page so you can put us in google news.

Our organization is interested to provide unique articles for google news, we hope google will accept our application.

Regards[/I]
"

I thought the revision would look like above .....
Orthanc - 22/06/2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

"Dear Google

I'm sorry not give you clear contact information in contact us page, actually we provide clear contact information in about us page, let me know if you haven't check them. Also let me know if we should move them to contact us page so you can accept us in google news

Our organization really interested provide unique articles for google news, we cross our finger so google can accept our application

Regards
"

Spoiler for my version
Dear Google

Thank you for your quick response.
We apologize for not giving clear contact information in the "contact us" page. Actually, we do have such information yet we provide it in our "about us" page. Please let us know if we should move it to the "contact us" page so you may accept us on Google news.

Our organization is really interested to provide unique articles for Google news, and therefore we really hope that Google can accept our application

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards

CMIIW

Okay, first of all, you would know your own purpose better than me, so if I missed anything in the context, please remind me.

I'm not so sure on using the term "We cross our fingers so that...." I'd simply say "We hope". But as it seems that you are using the term to express deep expectation, I decided to use "We really hope", and join the two sentences.

Furthermore, I think that you're mixing up styles. Nothing wrong in that, but for the sake of aestheticism (am I spelling this right? ), you ought to stick to either formal or casual style. In a formal style of request, you should be more humble IMO. The use of "please" may be necessary prior to a request sentence. but maybe it's just me who's being too rigid, dunno .

I omitted the part on "let me know if you haven't checked them", because I think you'd want them to go straight to the about us page once you've told them that the information is there. .

Finally, although we may find mixed usage of pronouns in a writing (and it's fine, really, in most situations because a group can be represented by one person who may speak on both his and his group's behalf), it's better if we unify them under the use of "we" (and therefore followed by "us" and "our" in the sentences) in this writing's context to refer to both yourself and your group, because I believe that this apology is on behalf of the latter. This is why I changed the first part from "I'm sorry" to "We apologize". The "apologize" part is only cosmetic of course , but it may be necessary for the sake of formality

I think my corrections above lack efficiency as I believe that some of the sentences can still be shortened. I would appreciate if the others can offer a better alternative.
handsofgod - 22/06/2010 02:38 AM

^^
cross finger itu bukanya ngacungin jari tengah ya?

lumayan trit bagus buat belajar inggris
ijin bookmark

sorry guys, mau nanya dkit pake indo tentang at/by

gw tau kalimat ini benar :
"she left me rosses by the stair"
"he sells fish by sea shore"

tapi kenapa harus pake "by", dan bukanya pake "at'?

trus perbedaan penggunaan "have to" dgn "had to" dimana ya gan?
mohon penjelasanya
Lord.Aizen - 22/06/2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

"Dear Google

Regards
"

Spoiler for my version

Dear Google

Thank you for your prompt response.

We apologize for not giving clear contact information in the "contact us" page. We have, instead, opted to provide such information in our "about us" page. We would be much obliged for your recommendation on the appropriateness of our chosen course, and would readily transfer it to the "contact us" page, should that be the accepted approach at Google News.

We are really excited at the opportunity to provide unique articles for Google news, thus we hope to see our organisation be found suitable for the task.
{(We are really interested in providing unique articles for Google News, thus we hope to see our organisation be chosen for the task.)]

Regards

Notes:

1) What Orthanc said concerning your style is basically correct. However, it is not so much mixed as it is informal. That said, since this is a formal setting, the "crossing-of-fingers" (along with several others in your post ) would be considered inappropriate here.

2) This point made by Orthanc is worth noting. ...

Quote:
Finally, although we may find mixed usage of pronouns in a writing (and it's fine, really, in most situations because a group can be represented by one person who may speak on both his and his group's behalf), it's better if we unify them under the use of "we" (and therefore followed by "us" and "our" in the sentences) in this writing's context to refer to both yourself and your group, because I believe that this apology is on behalf of the latter. This is why I changed the first part from "I'm sorry" to "We apologize". The "apologize" part is only cosmetic of course , but it may be necessary for the sake of formality

So, keep this in mind next time you write in a formal setting. ;)

3) The last paragraph, the reason for my choosing "excited" over "interested", other than for aesthetics, is to consolidate your enthusiasm and job-expectations and to convey it in a more defined way. It would be in your best interest to make them look at you in this light. However, should your original frame of mind be more suited, in your view, to fulfilling the task at hand, then I have provided the alternative right below it, in brackets. Also, your usage of the phrase..... "so google can accept our application".... is not to be preferred in an application letter, regardless of whether it is an original application or a mere follow-up. On that note, I have opted for a change, but, again, if you feel the original conveys your feelings better, then by all means, don't let me stop you.

Anyway, hope that helps.

And,CMIIW.

And to Orthanc......

Quote:

I think my corrections above lack efficiency as I believe that some of the sentences can still be shortened. I would appreciate if the others can offer a better alternative.

I understand the need to be brief in writing emails, but is it really necessary to abandon clarity and/or appropriacy for the sake of brevity?

I, of course, haven't been involved in email correspondence in my lifetime enough to criticise this point in a formal argumentative discourse, but since I consider you a friend, this is the perfect chance to ask for such enlightenment without the heavy burden of having to engage in one of those annoying...............whatchamacallit.........................debates
unitedforone07 - 22/06/2010 12:50 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By handsofgod
^^
cross finger itu bukanya ngacungin jari tengah ya?

No ..... It means : wishing good luck to someone ..

Mengacungkan jari tengah : flip off / flip someone a bird ...

Ex :

-The guy overthere has been warned by referee since he flipped me off ..
-The guy overthere has been warned by referee since he flipped me a bird ..

arti dalam Konteks tsb by adalah "dekat"
sedangkan at adalah "di" .....

jadi tergantung mau nya gimana ..... We sat all evening near by the sea ...

Quote:

mohon penjelasanya

Present dan Past tense bro ....
Orthanc - 22/06/2010 01:34 PM
I'll cater to Aizen's responses in a different post
Quote:
Original Posted By vidavacia
hehe.. i was just kidding, but it'll be super nice. thanks

check your fridge

btw are you bro or sis? I assume it's the latter yah.

Quote:

whokay... lagi2 soal preposition.

by itu sebenarnya berbeda sekali dengan at, tapi sering dipakai interchangeable (bisa ini bisa itu). pada dasarnya "by" itu artinya bisa "dekat" (she's standing by the window, dia berdiri dekat jendela), bisa juga "disamping" (misalnya di kalimat "stand by me", berdiri disamping gw), bisa juga "melewati dekat sesuatu" (when I passed by the store, ketika gw ngelewatin tuh toko). tapi mungkin karena saking dekatnya jadi seringkali di(salah)pahami sama dengan "at"

jadi untuk dua kalimat lu:

"she left me roses by the stairs" - dia ninggalin mawar di dekat tangga (btw gan, bukan rosses yah, tapi roses... ini kok ceweknya yang ninggalin mawar, bukan cowoknya? )

"he sells fish by the seashore" - dia berjualan ikat dekat tepi laut/pantai (ya pastinya ga jualan di (at) tepi lautnya yah, kena ombaknya bisa berabe dagangan/mampus nanti )

CMIIW.

salah satu sumber di internet tentang apa itu "by"

http://tillyer.net/GLOW/fsi128.htm

Quote:
mohon penjelasanya

have to = harus

dalam hal ini penggunaan have terikat dengan aturan has dan have, yaitu kalau misalnya orang ketiga tunggal, ya lu bilangnya has to:

[*]He has to go to the office = dia harus ke kantor
[*]She has to change her bra = dia harus ganti BH
[*]David has to teach his younger brother = David harus ngajarin adeknya

Kalau orang pertama tunggal dan orang pertama/ketiga jamak, maka lu baru pake have to:

[*]I have to go to the toilet = Gw harus ke wc gan
[*]We have to obey the rules = kita harus menaati peraturan
[*]They have to finish their assigments = mereka harus menyelesaikan tugas-tugas mereka.

nah, had to adalah bentuk past tense dari has/have to, karena pada dasarnya had sendiri adalah bentuk past baik untuk has maupun have

[*]I had to go to Jessie's place yesterday: Kemarin gw harus ke tempatnya Jessie
[*]van Persie had to shut his ears when the vuvuzelas were blown: van Persie harus menutup telinganya waktu terompet-terompet vuvuzela dibunyikan
[*]He had to do the job before he could get home at that time: waktu itu dia harus melakukan pekerjaan tersebut sebelum dia bisa pulang.

kadang2... penggunaan has/have/had to bisa untuk menekankan bahwa seseorang "terpaksa" melakukan sesuatu. terpaksa di sini sama dengan harus, tapi konteksnya lebih emosional. Biasanya ini terjadi di kasus had to, yang mana menceritakan situasi di masa lampau (jadinya si pengguna sudah mengkaji apakah tindakan yang harus dilakukannya waktu itu memang terpaksa atau tidak)

[*]I'm sorry sir, I had to kill him because he was trying to escape: Maaf pak, saya terpaksa membunuh dia karena dia mencoba lari.

CMIIW.
Orthanc - 22/06/2010 01:54 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Lord.Aizen
Spoiler for my version

Dear Google

Thank you for your prompt response.

We apologize for not giving clear contact information in the "contact us" page. We have, instead, opted to provide such information in our "about us" page. We would be much obliged for your recommendation on the appropriateness of our chosen course, and would readily transfer it to the "contact us" page, should that be the accepted approach at Google News.

We are really excited at the opportunity to provide unique articles for Google news, thus we hope to see our organisation be found suitable for the task.
{(We are really interested in providing unique articles for Google News, thus we hope to see our organisation be chosen for the task.)]

Regards

Hail the lord

way too aesthetic for me, but I suppose it's "more correct" (reflecting back on my using the term when discussing with Vida lately )

Quote:

1) What Orthanc said concerning your style is basically correct. However, it is not so much mixed as it is informal. That said, since this is a formal setting, the "crossing-of-fingers" (along with several others in your post ) would be considered inappropriate here.

I got the feeling that he was trying to be casual but was entrapped in the use of certain formal phrases. perhaps because these phrases were the only versions he had ever heard before when it comes to implying the idea conveyed in a letter. either way, yeah, the "crossing of fingers" was the only bump objectively visible

Quote:

And to Orthanc......

I understand the need to be brief in writing emails, but is it really necessary to abandon clarity and/or appropriacy for the sake of brevity?

I, of course, haven't been involved in email correspondence in my lifetime enough to criticise this point in a formal argumentative discourse, but since I consider you a friend, this is the perfect chance to ask for such enlightenment without the heavy burden of having to engage in one of those annoying...............whatchamacallit.........................debates

whoa, debating shouldn't be associated with anything opposed to friendship , friends may debate especially if it's part of a constructive discussion . But truth be told, I never find solace in debating, even if I eventually win.

returning to the topic, no, I'm not really an advocate of brevity. In fact, I'm "(in)famous" in certain parts of kaskus (especially in the UI thread) and real life for elaborating things too-lengthly. In the UI thread, I'm even associated with the term "walls of text" by a friend of mine who happens to be an editor in Gramedia .... which renders my justification a bit useless .

my preference to shorten some things here (or at least I aspire to have my corrections corrected that way) is simply based on efficiency. Maybe I'm merely haunted by the "walls of text" thingy ... thus I may consider not to consider the shortenings at all
missfunnyucul - 22/06/2010 03:06 PM

bermanfaat banget nih gan.. tapi ane puyeng juga bacanya,,,
ijin nyimak ya gan
handsofgod - 22/06/2010 05:56 PM

thx gan for the explanation
i might ask something again next time
akupemimpi - 23/06/2010 12:55 PM

hello eveybody,can you share how th way you study english? i want to be a profesional in english..
wither - 23/06/2010 01:49 PM

what's the difference between:
- all my life and all of my life?
- all the time and all of the time?

are both pairs correct with different meaning?
unitedforone07 - 24/06/2010 12:41 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By wither
what's the difference between:
- all my life and all of my life?
- all the time and all of the time?

are both pairs correct with different meaning?

Arti sih sama .... mungkin cuma masalah emphasize dan dalam hal spoken , rasanya lebih cepat dan ringkas dng mengatakan all the time . CMIIW
rennitoy - 24/06/2010 01:39 AM

Ask permission for bookmark..
Orthanc - 24/06/2010 11:13 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By rennitoy
Ask permission for bookmark..

permission granted
wither - 24/06/2010 11:29 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By unitedforone07
Arti sih sama .... mungkin cuma masalah emphasize dan dalam hal spoken , rasanya lebih cepat dan ringkas dng mengatakan all the time . CMIIW

thanks, gan. cuma inget ada lagunya phil collins yg judulnya All of My Life. kenapa pake of ya, sedangkan lagunya K-CI and Jojo cuma All My Life
sifireman - 25/06/2010 12:48 AM
answer...
Quote:
Original Posted By kadal_jantan
which one is correct??

Now i know what will she do
or
Now i know what she will do
????

for this case...
the correct sentence will be

Now, I know what she will do.

You only can put "will" before subject in a question sentence.
Page 6 of 284 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > All about Grammar & Tenses - The correct way to say/use .... ask it here !!