ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > All about Grammar & Tenses - The correct way to say/use .... ask it here !!
Total Views: 143505 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 100 of 284 | ‹ First  < 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 >  Last ›

jakal52 - 01/04/2011 04:58 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Lovlev
we all learnt from our mistakes so dont you worry about that, even native speakers still can make a mistake. therefore keep it going and dont ever let mistake make you down.

thanks dude for your comment D
I agree with you, "dont ever let mistake make us down" thumbup:
without mistake we cannot be better, right!?
ganteng3005 - 01/04/2011 07:45 AM

Quote:
please accept me apoligize in advace, but i have a little concern here and i dont mind to be corrected

isnt it suppose " i wish i had English skill like you"
english skill is adjective hence we dont use "yours"

I think it would be great if you can write like this
"this is going to be a bit personal"
"this is going a little personal"
what do you think?

*My apologise. Use possessive for this one.
In that case, I suppose we may say "I wish I have an English skill like you do".
Using 'have' is required because we want to have it at this time, not at the past.
I think adding 'do' at the end will complete the sentence, although I will still prefer on using the possessive "yours".

Quote:
Original Posted By emyouel
Thank's pal' , and sorry for that Peace:
And one thing about Adjective and Noun , i still don't understand what this thing using for ? hammers
sorry for error grammar capedes

Noun is an object, a person, an animal, and basically anything out there.
The dog, the keyboard, John, the marker, are all nouns. (CMIIW)
Adjective describes the noun.
The lazy dog.
The black keyboard.
Quote:
Original Posted By jakal52
haha.. thanks for your correct D
grammar drives me crazy, but grammar really makes me curious very much to learn it deeply. for your information, I like english after studying in pare for about 2 months. I often forget a little thing like that "friends". I dont know when I can write english perfectly without any mistakes and typos p

*Thanks for your correction - noun required, not adjective.
That's okay, I also made those mistakes in the past. It will fix itself as time passes, knowing that you are very dedicated in learning English D

Quote:
we all learnt from our mistakes so dont you worry about that, even native speakers still can make a mistake. therefore keep it going and dont ever let mistake make you down.

That is true.
Quote:
hmm... it just sounds wrong in me ears but i will ask around, hope im wrong D

*My ears. Requires possessive.
Sometimes English has two (or more) possible ways to say something, so no matter... We'll tell you if it is incorrect.
Quote:
Original Posted By gedebok
excuse me..
I am still confused in the use of "Another, The Other, The Others, Others" ..amazed:

Another is used for more than two things compared.
The Other is used for the last thing compared (in two or more things compared)
'The Others' refers to a specific group.
'Others' refers to a less-known or less specific group.

Another + The other: The first way is to jump. Another way is to go around. Another way is to crouch under. The other way is not to do it.

The other: One way is to jump. The other way is to go around.

The others: Ten of our classmates are boys, while the others are girls.

Others: Some of us really like it. Others do not even care.
Lovlev - 01/04/2011 10:01 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By ganteng3005
In that case, I suppose we may say "I wish I have an English skill like you do".
Using 'have' is required because we want to have it at this time, not at the past.
I think adding 'do' at the end will complete the sentence, although I will still prefer on using the possessive "yours".

as far as i know everytime you use "wish" it always followed by verb 2
'
you want to use "have" you should use "hope" because you want something to happen in the future.

Quote:

*My ears. Requires possessive.
Sometimes English has two (or more) possible ways to say something, so no matter... We'll tell you if it is incorrect.

yeah sorry for my bad habit, Me = My D D
jeben - 01/04/2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:
as far as i know everytime you use "wish" it always followed by verb 2
'
you want to use "have" you should use "hope" because you want something to happen in the future.

yeah sorry for my bad habit, Me = My D D

i'd have to agree with bro ganteng on this one. saying i wish i had means that you hoped of having done something in the past. it's some kind expression of regret.
i wish i had travelled round the world when my body was still up for it. it means that you're not young anymore, and your body is as fragile as it could be. so somehow you can't travel around the world anymore D

while i wish i have, prolly means that you're hoping to have it at this present time. for example when you see a friend with such amazing english skill, i bet my arse you'd go i wish i have english skills like that dude. it means that your skills are nowhere near that dude, yet you're hoping to be as good as that dude. i'd say it is in present form, not in future. cause yeah, you want it know... D

but i'd go with.
i wish my english skills are like yours
p1nk3d_books - 01/04/2011 01:10 PM

Quote:
I think adding 'do' at the end will complete the sentence, although I will still prefer on using the possessive "yours"

I think the one I enlarge is incorrect. It's either 'my apology' or 'I apology' idk but definitely not my apologise.
jakal52 - 01/04/2011 01:14 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By jeben
i'd have to agree with bro ganteng on this one. saying i wish i had means that you hoped of having done something in the past. it's some kind expression of regret.
i wish i had travelled round the world when my body was still up for it. it means that you're not young anymore, and your body is as fragile as it could be. so somehow you can't travel around the world anymore D

while i wish i have, prolly means that you're hoping to have it at this present time. for example when you see a friend with such amazing english skill, i bet my arse you'd go i wish i have english skills like that dude. it means that your skills are nowhere near that dude, yet you're hoping to be as good as that dude. i'd say it is in present form, not in future. cause yeah, you want it know... D

but i'd go with.

one person again agree with ' I wish I had ' thumbup:
your explanation is clear dude, if I'm not wrong that pattern is included conditional sentence. D
Lovlev - 01/04/2011 01:53 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By jeben

but i'd go with.

thanks for clearing that up for me and yes you are correct, wish + had its for something that already happened in the past

However, in writing you cant say "i wish i have", instead it supposed to be " i hope i have"
jeben - 01/04/2011 02:05 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
I think the one I enlarge is incorrect. It's either 'my apology' or 'I apology' idk but definitely not my apologise.

yeah, i didn't notice this one either. it definitely has got to be my apologies, not apologise.
Quote:
thanks for clearing that up for me and yes you are correct, wish + had its for something that already happened in the past

However, in writing you cant say "i wish i have", instead it supposed to be " i hope i have"

imo,
i hope i have means that it is nowhere near possible to have. nonetheless still possible.

e.g., i hope i have a lamborghini someday. it means that in your current condition, there's no way on earth for you to have/afford a lambo. but who knows right? maybe you'll get lucky.

i would say i wish i have in conversations. but if it comes to writings, i'm clueless... D
jakal52 - 02/04/2011 12:56 AM

hey guys..
I'm confused with gerund confused:
It has many rules (I mean there are some words that can be gerund and to infinitive, on the other hand, the others only can be used for gerund/to infinitive)..
do you have any idea to memorize them? D
p1nk3d_books - 02/04/2011 01:00 AM

Quote:
hey guys..
It has many rules (I mean there are some words that can be gerund and to infinitive, on the other hand, the others only can be used for gerund/to infinitive)..

Gerund yg mana? Gerund Phrase atau verbs yg harus diikuti dengan gerund?
loc - 02/04/2011 02:07 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By jeben
yeah, i didn't notice this one either. it definitely has got to be my apologies, not apologise.

imo,
i hope i have means that it is nowhere near possible to have. nonetheless still possible.

e.g., i hope i have a lamborghini someday. it means that in your current condition, there's no way on earth for you to have/afford a lambo. but who knows right? maybe you'll get lucky.

i would say i wish i have in conversations. but if it comes to writings, i'm clueless... D

in that costruction, we need to use past simple for present/future wishes (wishing for a different situation now or later, e.g. I wish this thread were more organized) and past perfect for past wishes (wishing for a different past, e.g. I wish I'd never joined kaskus :Peace\).

mind you, the following constructions are also possible (with different meanings than the ones above, of course):

[*]I hope my answers are easy to understand.
[*]I wish to see the manager, please.
[*]I wish people would stop posting junk.

Quote:
hey guys..

any verb can be turned into its infinitive or gerund form when needed, depending what word it follows. the question should be: what words are followed by infinitives and what words are followed by gerunds? is that what you mean?
ganteng3005 - 02/04/2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

I'm so sorry for that one.
I was going to say "My apologies" but I forgot to change that while typing.
Thanks pink. I appreciate that.
It is definitely not "my apologise". Noticing that makes me feel silly p
jakal52 - 02/04/2011 11:50 PM

Quote:
Gerund yg mana? Gerund Phrase atau verbs yg harus diikuti dengan gerund?

both of them, wekekek p

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
in that costruction, we need to use past simple for present/future wishes (wishing for a different situation now or later, e.g. I wish this thread were more organized) and past perfect for past wishes (wishing for a different past, e.g. I wish I'd never joined kaskus :Peace\).

mind you, the following constructions are also possible (with different meanings than the ones above, of course):

[*]I hope my answers are easy to understand.
[*]I wish to see the manager, please.
[*]I wish people would stop posting junk.

any verb can be turned into its infinitive or gerund form when needed, depending what word it follows. the question should be: what words are followed by infinitives and what words are followed by gerunds? is that what you mean?

yup, that's what I mean D
sorry, I'm still learning english. sometimes, so difficult for me to make good sentence or question.
CaiCaipOO - 03/04/2011 03:16 PM
hmm, help me please.. ?
hey , i got wierd statements....

1. When Tom and Jack saw the robbery they called the police , but then they got arrested.

2. When Tom and Jack saw the robbery they called the police , but got themselves arrested

3. When Tom and Jack saw the robbery they called the police , but they got arrested themselves

what's the meaning on each statement ?
jeben - 03/04/2011 07:20 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By CaiCaipOO
hey , i got wierd statements....

1. When Tom and Jack saw the robbery they called the police , but then they got arrested.

2. When Tom and Jack saw the robbery they called the police , but got themselves arrested

3. When Tom and Jack saw the robbery they called the police , but they got arrested themselves

what's the meaning on each statement ?

they're all supposed to have the same meaning. but the second one is the correct one.
PresidentKaskus - 03/04/2011 08:53 PM
[ask]which is true??
which is true between "I am not understand" with "I don't understand"? please correct..
bingung:
and give me the reason,,please
PresidentKaskus - 03/04/2011 09:48 PM

please, help me.. \( \( \(
T-Time3 - 03/04/2011 10:44 PM

simple, i DON'T understand..
cool:
Klum - 03/04/2011 10:45 PM

Is it correct >---- "Is this the perfect day to die?"
ganteng3005 - 03/04/2011 10:57 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Klum
Is it correct >---- "Is this the perfect day to die?"

Usually it is correct, but IMO it is unclear.
"Is this the perfect day to die?"
This may refer to (most common to least common):
1. -Today - is this (day) the perfect day to die?
2. -A specific date - is this (pointing to a date on a calendar) the perfect day to die?
3. (Thesaurus) - daylight / sunshine - is this (looking at the sun) the perfect day to die? (meaning that it is too hot and you are going to die grilled)

So I would say...
"Is today the perfect day to die?"
So that it will not be ambiguous.
Page 100 of 284 | ‹ First  < 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > All about Grammar & Tenses - The correct way to say/use .... ask it here !!