English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 14034 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 4 of 9 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > 

HQ.Kaskus - 07/04/2012 08:09 AM

Katanya TOEFL cuma kepake di Indonesia ya gan ?
Kalo di Luar Negeri ga kepake .....
mymaroon - 07/04/2012 08:38 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By HQ.Kaskus

toefl is abbreviation for "Test Of English as a Foreign Language"

ergo, most of the country which is not using English for their language should take a toefl test.

imo
mymaroon - 07/04/2012 08:40 AM

ohh ya,

please somebody tell me the english course which focus to the TOEFL Preparation.... in jakarta....
and how much it is...??

thank you
ziriaf - 08/04/2012 12:34 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan
Two words and number
Tidak lebih dari dua kata dan/atau angka
Dua kata dan angka

48 NORTH AVENUE
NORTH AVENUE = 2 words
and
48 is the number.
Don't worry too much about that, let the examiner do their job checking your answer ..
(selama ga 3 kata masih oke, for this case)

General Tips:
do you know that Cambridge once released an academic wordlist for IELTS, find that and spend an hour a day minimum, then evaluate each word in OXFORD Thesaurus (download links can be found in Rumah Belajar Ambrosiana). This activity will help you in terms of your vocabulary.

okay i understand.....
thanks a lot for give me an advice....
ziriaf - 08/04/2012 02:05 AM

what should we write for the introduce paragraph in discussion essay ?

thanks again...hohoho

iloveindonesia
loc - 08/04/2012 04:16 AM

awwww.. what a shame! Klanese's hard work was all wiped out during the move to Livebeta? bloody hell! that was a real treasure trove!

Quote:
Original Posted By ziriaf

thanks again...hohoho

iloveindonesia

basically you need to write three things in the following order:

[*]introduce the topic of the question generally/broadly;
[*]restate/paraphrase (do not copy!) the question rubric;
[*]introduce the body and the conclusion paragraphs (tell the reader what they will find if they decide to read the bodies and the conclusion); this is your thesis statement, so make sure you tell the reader about the paragraphs in one comprehensive yet concise sentence.

good luck! cendols
rahan - 08/04/2012 10:38 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By HQ.Kaskus

Use English please... TOEFL iBT (175$) will be accepted as an international certification. TOEFL-like / mock toefl (200,000 rupiahs) is only acceptable in Indonesia.

Quote:
Original Posted By mymaroon
ohh ya,

please somebody tell me the english course which focus to the TOEFL Preparation.... in jakarta....
and how much it is...??
thank you

I really can't help with this question .... anyone?

Quote:

thanks again...hohoho

iloveindonesia

answered by loc

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
awwww.. what a shame! Klanese's hard work was all wiped out during the move to Livebeta? bloody hell! that was a real treasure trove!

[*]introduce the body and the conclusion paragraphs (tell the reader what they will find if they decide to read the bodies and the conclusion); this is your thesis statement, so make sure you tell the reader about the paragraphs in one comprehensive yet concise sentence.

good luck! cendols

no, it isn't. The old thread is still there but it was locked by our mod in http://livebeta.kaskus.us/thread/000000000000000005021642/qualifications-ibt-pbt-toefl-amp-ieltsall-r elated-english-courses-in-indonesia-tips
loc - 08/04/2012 10:11 PM

ah, i see. i was wondering why we had two threads with almost identical titles.. thanks, professor! i noticed that you PM-ed me a long time ago. sorry.. i was away for quite a while and haven't had the chance to even look at it, but will do tonite.

btw, not sure if i like Livebeta..
ziriaf - 09/04/2012 12:35 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc

good luck! cendols

i understand point 1 and 2, could u explain more for point 3 ?
if u can i need example...

thanks as always
rahan - 09/04/2012 09:37 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
ah, i see. i was wondering why we had two threads with almost identical titles.. thanks, professor! i noticed that you PM-ed me a long time ago. sorry.. i was away for quite a while and haven't had the chance to even look at it, but will do tonite.

btw, not sure if i like Livebeta..

Oh yeah, I thought you must be so busy, you rarely show up in Kaskus, the last time I saw you was when you said that you were staying in some haunted hotel in Surabaya... takuts

Yeah, I really can use some advice on the matter of writing international journal, economics journal to be specific, but it doesn't matter, any advice will do. cendols

Welcome to Kaskus Betty... ngacir:

loc - 09/04/2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

i understand point 1 and 2, could u explain more for point 3 ?
if u can i need example...

thanks as always

here's a sample introductory paragraph from a book called Answers to All TOEFL Essay Questions (you should get it; it's in the electronic format and is really easy to find on the internet), the very first sample essay in the book:
     Topic:
Why go to university? (yes, you should know how to get the core question first; this is the initial crucial step)

Introductory Paragraph:
I strongly believe that everyone should attend university. Entering university is at the same time a so much promising step into a world of opportunities as long as it is accompanied by a strong will and desire for distinction. (1) The quality and diversity of opportunities and the spread spectrum of choices higher education can provide us is the core motive for everyone intending to attend university. (2) I will try to examine below the specific reasons for entering university according to which I think are the most common viewpoints nowadays. (3)
by the way, the essay that follows the paragraph above got a score of 6.0 (the highest score on TWE/TOEFL writing), of course D

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan

Oh yeah, I thought you must be so busy, you rarely show up in Kaskus, the last time I saw you was when you said that you were staying in some haunted hotel in Surabaya... takuts

Yeah, I really can use some advice on the matter of writing international journal, economics journal to be specific, but it doesn't matter, any advice will do. cendols

Welcome to Kaskus Betty... ngacir:

i remember reading something about journal writing in one of the books i have, but i can't remember which one hammers still looking.. ngacir:
ziriaf - 10/04/2012 04:28 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
here's a sample introductory paragraph from a book called Answers to All TOEFL Essay Questions (you should get it; it's in the electronic format and is really easy to find on the internet), the very first sample essay in the book:
     Topic:
Why go to university? (yes, you should know how to get the core question first; this is the initial crucial step)

Introductory Paragraph:
I strongly believe that everyone should attend university. Entering university is at the same time a so much promising step into a world of opportunities as long as it is accompanied by a strong will and desire for distinction. (1) The quality and diversity of opportunities and the spread spectrum of choices higher education can provide us is the core motive for everyone intending to attend university. (2) I will try to examine below the specific reasons for entering university according to which I think are the most common viewpoints nowadays. (3)
by the way, the essay that follows the paragraph above got a score of 6.0 (the highest score on TWE/TOEFL writing), of course D

Thanks you,actually i am going to take IELTS test this week....
Now to another question...sorry i'm a bit nerveous for the test
Does anyone know the tips to do IELST reading test if the question "Which THREE statements blow are true based on the text? "
Should i read whole paragraph or other way ?
Also if the question is "To what extent do you agrree or disagree? " this is discussion essay or argument essay ?
Thanks
iloveindonesia
loc - 10/04/2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks you,actually i am going to take IELTS test this week....
Now to another question...sorry i'm a bit nerveous for the test

ini nanya kok diketeng ya? mbok ya sekalian yang banyak pertanyaannya.. bingungs

Quote:
Does anyone know the tips to do IELST reading test if the question "Which THREE statements blow are true based on the text? "
Should i read whole paragraph or other way ?

you understand the concept of keywords and how to scan a reading text, yes? first, underline the keywords in all of the statements. second, match the keywords, one statement at a time, by scanning the text. you'll find that only three ideas/statements agree with the reading text.

Quote:
Also if the question is "To what extent do you agrree or disagree? " this is discussion essay or argument essay ?
Thanks
iloveindonesia

i assume you know the differences between the two kinds of essays. (otherwise, what i'm about to explain below would be meaningless.) questions such as to what extent do you agree or disagree, do you agree, and do you agree or disagree all call for an argument essay. discussion essays are marked with questions such as discuss, discuss both points of view and give your opinion or what is your opinion.

having said that, it is not wrong to use the discussion structure to answer an argument question, especially if you only partially agree or partially disagree, as long as you're not contradicting yourself as a result (e.g. saying I agree.. in one body paragraph and then I disagree.. in the next hammers).

when answering an essay question, remember the most important fact about essay writing in a standardized test: what your opinion is doesn't matter; it's always about how your present your opinion or argument logically and support it.
ziriaf - 11/04/2012 01:13 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
ini nanya kok diketeng ya? mbok ya sekalian yang banyak pertanyaannya.. bingungs

you understand the concept of keywords and how to scan a reading text, yes? first, underline the keywords in all of the statements. second, match the keywords, one statement at a time, by scanning the text. you'll find that only three ideas/statements agree with the reading text.

i assume you know the differences between the two kinds of essays. (otherwise, what i'm about to explain below would be meaningless.) questions such as to what extent do you agree or disagree, do you agree, and do you agree or disagree all call for an argument essay. discussion essays are marked with questions such as discuss, discuss both points of view and give your opinion or what is your opinion.

having said that, it is not wrong to use the discussion structure to answer an argument question, especially if you only partially agree or partially disagree, as long as you're not contradicting yourself as a result (e.g. saying I agree.. in one body paragraph and then I disagree.. in the next hammers).

when answering an essay question, remember the most important fact about essay writing in a standardized test: what your opinion is doesn't matter; it's always about how your present your opinion or argument logically and support it.

aaahhh sorry for "ketengan" question...
i did that 'cause i always find new question each time i do the practice test,so there will be new "confusion" in my head...
really sorry for the trouble that i make...

and thanks for you guys for always helping me...
loc - 11/04/2012 02:10 AM

Quote:

aaahhh sorry for "ketengan" question...
i did that 'cause i always find new question each time i do the practice test,so there will be new "confusion" in my head...
really sorry for the trouble that i make...

and thanks for you guys for always helping me...

bwahahaha! no trouble at all! ask some more if you need to. \)
loc - 13/04/2012 12:14 AM

wew.. looks like this thread is prone to being drowned by a barrage of new threads in this subforum. shouldn't this be stickied like the old one? momods? otang? stu? ID?
milkmatcha - 15/04/2012 11:45 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By mymaroon
ohh ya,

and how much it is...??

thank you

Maybe you can try LBI (Lembaga Bahasa Internasional Universitas Indonesia). Actually I saw the banner when I was still a student in UI and they opened a class in Depok, but my friend told me that they also have another class in Salemba (Jakarta). About the cost, maybe around $100? Maybe you can google it and browse their website. Sorry if this is not helping D
KLanese - 17/04/2012 01:08 PM

Weeww...I am now able to switch to old kaskus. Yeeeaaaa!!!

Big thanks to Raihan and loc for handling this thread with care when I was away....Hi People!! Get better @TOEFL iBT or IELTS?? come on...share your experience, tips, tricks, valuable lessons, and everything here!! beer:
hartz2z - 23/04/2012 08:01 PM

hi, i need some suggestion about english course in Jakarta barat (tomang)??
My parent give me money about 700k each months for doing that (so wall street out from my range hehe)
nb: my english skill become worse especially for writing and speaking and i did't learn and practice english for 3 years hammers.
o y... i'm 21 years old... so please dont suggest english course for teen :sorry

thanks for your help cendols
Eazygoing - 24/04/2012 10:06 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By milkmatcha
Maybe you can try LBI (Lembaga Bahasa Internasional Universitas Indonesia). Actually I saw the banner when I was still a student in UI and they opened a class in Depok, but my friend told me that they also have another class in Salemba (Jakarta). About the cost, maybe around $100? Maybe you can google it and browse their website. Sorry if this is not helping D

Hi, LBI will cost you 1,4 M IDR for 54 hours ibt preparation class both for salemba or depok, i just check the website...
another recommended place is AIM Jakarta, located in manggarai. it will cost you 2,75 M IDR for 50 hours IELTS preparation class. the teachers are 50% native and 50% local, check the website for more detail... hope this help...
Page 4 of 9 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]