English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Thank's God, Thanks God, OR Thank God?
Total Views: 926 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 1 of 2 |  1 2 > 

grammarian - 19/05/2012 11:14 PM
Thank's God, Thanks God, OR Thank God?
Call me "grammar nazi", but yes, it hurts every single time I read or hear "Thank's God" or "Thanks God". Ok, let me tell you why we CAN say "Thank God" but not the other two.

WHY "THANK'S GOD" IS WRONG
The punctuation mark (looking like comma) is called apostrophe ( ’ ). It is used to indicate either possession (e.g., Harry's book; boys' coats) or the omission of letters or numbers (e.g., can't; he's; class of ’99).

In this case, the apostrophe is added with NO clear reason. It does not indicate possession ("Thank" doesn't belong to anyone or anything here. Besides, it's a verb. You can have a noun, but not a verb). And there is nothing to omit (=drop, leave out) here, as in "She has got to >>go"== "She's got to go", "She is a mother of three" >>=== "She's a mother of three".

WHY "THANKS GOD" IS WRONG, TOO
In order to be true, one should clarify why the 's' comes after the word "thank". Here, "thank" is a verb, with "God" as the object. In English grammar, only third person singular subjects (s/he, it) take verbs with suffix -s/-es.

So here is my argument. "Thank you" is analogous to "thank God". You can say "thank you" but not "thanks you". Why so? Simply because there is actually "I" as a subject there!

True
I thank you.
I thank God.

Wrong
I thanks you.
I thanks God.

So why is "I" omitted here? Because the subject is already understood by the context. Even without mentioning "I", people around you (your interlocutor- lawan bicara) can identify quite easily who performs the activity of thanking to God. cendolb

CONCLUSION?
THANK'S GOD >== wrong!
THANKS >GOD== wrong!
THANK >GOD== true!

Hope it helps, agans!
wasega - 20/05/2012 11:30 AM

For making me stronger, thanks, God!
lifas - 21/05/2012 04:18 PM

So Thank God means I thank God?
hmm really nice information
However, according to some sites that I have searched. We say thank God when we talk to the others. It is mean that we show the others our thankfull to God. Then we say thanks God when we talk to the God as if He were in front of us and talking to us.
CMIIW
ferdiantoo - 21/05/2012 07:36 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By grammarian
Call me "grammar nazi", but yes, it hurts every single time I read or hear "Thank's God" or "Thanks God". Ok, let me tell you why we CAN say "Thank God" but not the other two.

WHY "THANK'S GOD" IS WRONG
The punctuation mark (looking like comma) is called apostrophe ( ’ ). It is used to indicate either possession (e.g., Harry's book; boys' coats) or the omission of letters or numbers (e.g., can't; he's; class of ’99).

In this case, the apostrophe is added with NO clear reason. It does not indicate possession ("Thank" doesn't belong to anyone or anything here. Besides, it's a verb. You can have a noun, but not a verb). And there is nothing to omit (=drop, leave out) here, as in "She has got to >>go"== "She's got to go", "She is a mother of three" >>=== "She's a mother of three".

WHY "THANKS GOD" IS WRONG, TOO
In order to be true, one should clarify why the 's' comes after the word "thank". Here, "thank" is a verb, with "God" as the object. In English grammar, only third person singular subjects (s/he, it) take verbs with suffix -s/-es.

So here is my argument. "Thank you" is analogous to "thank God". You can say "thank you" but not "thanks you". Why so? Simply because there is actually "I" as a subject there!

True
I thank you.
I thank God.

Wrong
I thanks you.
I thanks God.

So why is "I" omitted here? Because the subject is already understood by the context. Even without mentioning "I", people around you (your interlocutor- lawan bicara) can identify quite easily who performs the activity of thanking to God. cendolb

CONCLUSION?
THANK'S GOD >== wrong!
THANKS >GOD== wrong!
THANK >GOD== true!

Hope it helps, agans!

Thank God, Thank to information.
redsterize - 21/05/2012 08:15 PM

oh i see
thanks to you kisss
Theist - 23/05/2012 01:13 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By redsterize
oh i see
thanks to you kisss

You said that you'd got it, but you keep making the same mistake.

You should say, "Thank you."
willyavatar - 24/05/2012 06:33 PM

thanks. but i know about it before from my teacher. (CMIIW) i just want to trying learn english better than usual.
bishop21 - 25/05/2012 12:04 AM

wow that was helpful, thank you!
LiquidSteel - 25/05/2012 12:18 AM

the right one is thank god
i think i don't have to explain it why because someone above me are already explained it \)b\)b
yummygummy - 25/05/2012 07:23 AM

TGIF ....Thank God I'm Forgiven....
id.samaran.nih - 25/05/2012 11:47 AM

Thank You for ur help.
Thank God for the help.
Thanks Bro for ur help.

Correct?

What is the difference between thank and thanks?
topx666 - 25/05/2012 08:26 PM

well, different in one or two letter resulting in different meaning, although it sound like same :matabelo
CartoonChan - 26/05/2012 12:29 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By id.samaran.nih
Thank You for ur help.
Thank God for the help.
Thanks Bro for ur help.

Correct?

in my opinion, thank is a verb, while thanks is a noun which usually used as expression.
gorky001 - 28/05/2012 05:46 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By id.samaran.nih
Thank You for ur help.
Thank God for the help.
Thanks Bro for ur help.

Correct?

Thanks for your help, I thinks it's an ommission of "many" at front.
The complete sentence would be: many thanks for your help.

cmiiw
Laxmuz - 28/05/2012 09:51 AM

depending on my mood
loc - 29/05/2012 10:36 PM

again, there's a thread for something like this. don't start a new thread without looking around first.

btw, i'm probably a worse grammar nazi than you, so i'm going to help you spot your own mistake (there's probably others, but i'm not going to bother):
Quote:
Original Posted By grammarian

and yes, there's probably others (above) is grammatically wrong, but it's natural english.
kudungga16 - 30/05/2012 09:53 PM

Hmm.. When someone help us, we usually say, "Thanks, dude."
esiaceria - 02/06/2012 08:40 PM

i dont know that the other 2 is wrong D
thanks for sharing, share more about something like this

:thumbup
kenkakashi - 06/06/2012 01:50 PM

In my opinion:

Thank you : I thank you
Thank you, God : I thank you God
When you pray alone straight to God said Thanks God : (Thank you God)

When you said to your friend that you are thankful to God:
"Thank God because he give me a way out to my problem."
(I thank God)

iloveindonesias
RZQworld - 08/06/2012 11:20 PM

Really nice shareing shakehand2
but i'm confused.
If "Thank God" is the only one is right based on that (omitting "I"), so whn we must use thanks. Because in daily life, I usually listen people prefer to say "thanks".
Is that mean everyone says "I thanks you".
May be thanks God is just a simple form ....@kenkakashi... I agree with your opinion
Page 1 of 2 |  1 2 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Thank's God, Thanks God, OR Thank God?