English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Since When Did You Learn English? Share Your Story Here!
Total Views: 1373 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 2 of 5 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 > 

gorky001 - 31/05/2012 09:02 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By loverizta
when i have a dream to going abroad D
amin..

i hope it's not too late for me to learning think:

i believe there's no such a thing as too late to learn
while we still breath

remember the saying: when there's a will there's a way
keep up your spirit Yb
LiquidSteel - 31/05/2012 10:22 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By kudungga16
Firs time I learn English when I was in the kindergarten. My parents thought me.

that tells almost nothing :nohope
phaditama - 31/05/2012 10:28 AM

since time immemorial capedes
LiquidSteel - 31/05/2012 10:53 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By phaditama
since time immemorial capedes

time might passes away but experiences not \)b
as you can see, everyone posts above you tells about their english experience since the first time they heard of it beer:
kudungga16 - 31/05/2012 01:22 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By LiquidSteel
that tells almost nothing :nohope

What should I tell? bingungs
LiquidSteel - 31/05/2012 03:33 PM

Quote:
What should I tell? bingungs

tell your story in details
just like all kaskusers does in posts above beer:
ferdiantoo - 31/05/2012 04:22 PM

Quote:
hello guys
i'd really like to know about your stories in learning english since the first time you heard of it, what problems you did face, how much effort you put, and everything that have anything to do with your english education. and don't forget to rate the thread.

so, let's get started then ! shakehand2shakehand2shakehand2

I feel the need learning english since it needed in the workplace.
Now i am still learning and improve vocabulary.
come on don't give up.
LiquidSteel - 31/05/2012 07:48 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By ferdiantoo
I feel the need learning english since it needed in the workplace.
Now i am still learning and improve vocabulary.
come on don't give up.

good luck on your effort beer:
english is worth learning :thumbup
kudungga16 - 31/05/2012 08:59 PM
PHOTOS, estryz
Quote:
tell your story in details
just like all kaskusers does in posts above beer:

Let see.....
So... let's continue then, when I was on elementary school I study English by my self. Just use English songs and dictionaries.
LiquidSteel - 01/06/2012 01:23 AM

Quote:
Let see.....
So... let's continue then, when I was on elementary school I study English by my self. Just use English songs and dictionaries.

hey :nohope
we ain't writing some series here
please tell full story, do not cut out just like that :nohope
LiquidSteel - 01/06/2012 10:11 AM

sup2:
LiquidSteel - 01/06/2012 10:12 AM

sup2:
LiquidSteel - 01/06/2012 10:14 AM

sup2:
Vikutorika - 01/06/2012 12:04 PM

I meet this "english things" when i was in 5th grade of elementary shool ... honestly, i dont even know it was called "english language" back then hammer:

in 6th grade, i join basic course of english lesson for kids

and finally, i'm starting serious to learn english in middle school since i was always playing RPG game in PSX, i want to understand the story for every game i played D
fzxcv - 01/06/2012 12:49 PM

found myself at one of english language course when i elementary,
LiquidSteel - 01/06/2012 04:40 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Vikutorika
i'm starting serious to learn english in middle school since i was always playing RPG game in PSX, i want to understand the story for every game i played D

it happens to me too ngakak
moneytontana83 - 01/06/2012 09:41 PM

Ah, English, truly a strong essence in my life. Since the requested part of my life might be too short and bland, might as well to extend it.

While my first encounter with English happened by my first console games (Probably Nintendo 64, '90s classic), I began to learn it few years later, still in my early childhood, when I was told by my parents that I have to be excellent at English. Being an absentminded 6-year old, I gave them sort of sign of approval, then I received two picture books as a gift. They were covered in blue and red, and a bit hard to read. Since I was (and still) an autodidact, I breeze through the lesson while letting my parents doing their chores.

By a random period of time, I discovered more English-related books from the big bookshelves that was left idling in the living room. Also by that moment I keep wondering why would we keep a lot of foreign books and keep them untouched. I left the curiosity (As it killed the cat) feeling away and just flip through the books rapidly, trying to find and comprehend any sentences that was easy to understand in those books. And I failed, why? Soon I discovered that they were expert geology books (My father is a geologist, by the way)

I grew bored, caused by the lack of studying materials, and then back into playing games. I remember borrowing a lot of random PS1 games, and I make sure they are all English games, so that I can learn from them. I was lucky then, most of them are riddle-based games that were easy to understand. Warping a few years later, I'm in an elementary school, and I suddenly being pushed to enter an English course. I don't know what purposes I was serving there but I make sure I get out from each of the classes only with perfect scores, and I did. Made my triumph at the course to a reason to buy another game console, I soon became an expert (or maniac) gamer. While I showed them that the "waste of time" was worth the skill I learned from them, apparently they disapproved my lack of concentration in other subjects. Resisted of what I see as their useless preachings, I kept on playing games.

A lot of time has passed, I entered junior high school. For no reason, I became overly aggressive at that time, badmouthed everyone at the school, made random riots, small time gangs, etc. After repaying few debts to the society, I can't deny the fact that I was strongly affected by violent games (GTA series). But then, my ignorant attitude has never changed, and I didn't stop into playing games (And not for the reason to learn English anymore). And since my grades weren't dropping as much as predicted, I had no reason to stop (Haha). I entered few English competition just to shut my parents up, and I won some. In the graduation time, I left the school, also left the reputation as "The Coke Slingin' Speaker".

That was how I rolled to the senior high school, until I realize that formal attitude plays a bigger role than I thought. So I left out the less appropriate games and orientating myself towards community based communication.

And here I am, still in attempt to improve my English, although most said that it is more than enough.

tl;dr repetitive reading, gaming, and swearing brought me here.

My experiences with English is full of repetition, as we all know that repetition is the only way to learn a language.
But it was definitely worth it.
Meteorite` - 02/06/2012 04:23 AM

1st time i learned and 'speak' english:
i was 3-4 y.o. parents taught me to speak "kemon" "letsgo" "ailafyu" and some western songs that i sang just-as-heard.. if u know what i mean malus

1st formal intro to english language:
8y.o. in a, you know, simple english class at a very normal classic private school with the teacher speaking with idk-wth-accent but was super kind (which was perhaps my only motivation in joining the class). ngakaks
parents tried to get me a private tutor as well -- fruitless attempt malus

anyway, *uhuk*

1st REAL encounter with english language:
12 y.o., in a so called int'l standard junior high school.
Given the very limited amount of time, I can't afford to learn english AND THEN understand whatever there was on the textbooks.
Therefore I was forced to memorize eeeverryyythiiingg~~ word by word.. and hopefully come up with some sensible sentences in the exam. ngakak

And so, like every other children books, morale of the story quoted, lesson learned. survived 6 years of junior-senior high school. best achievement in english language. Peace:

but..
1st REAL encounter with EL grammar:
21 y.o. teaching part time at an english language institute. trying to teach the kids about grammar. ngakak
LiquidSteel - 02/06/2012 09:42 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By moneytontana83
Ah, English, truly a strong essence in my life. Since the requested part of my life might be too short and bland, might as well to extend it.

While my first encounter with English happened by my first console games (Probably Nintendo 64, '90s classic), I began to learn it few years later, still in my early childhood, when I was told by my parents that I have to be excellent at English. Being an absentminded 6-year old, I gave them sort of sign of approval, then I received two picture books as a gift. They were covered in blue and red, and a bit hard to read. Since I was (and still) an autodidact, I breeze through the lesson while letting my parents doing their chores.

By a random period of time, I discovered more English-related books from the big bookshelves that was left idling in the living room. Also by that moment I keep wondering why would we keep a lot of foreign books and keep them untouched. I left the curiosity (As it killed the cat) feeling away and just flip through the books rapidly, trying to find and comprehend any sentences that was easy to understand in those books. And I failed, why? Soon I discovered that they were expert geology books (My father is a geologist, by the way)

I grew bored, caused by the lack of studying materials, and then back into playing games. I remember borrowing a lot of random PS1 games, and I make sure they are all English games, so that I can learn from them. I was lucky then, most of them are riddle-based games that were easy to understand. Warping a few years later, I'm in an elementary school, and I suddenly being pushed to enter an English course. I don't know what purposes I was serving there but I make sure I get out from each of the classes only with perfect scores, and I did. Made my triumph at the course to a reason to buy another game console, I soon became an expert (or maniac) gamer. While I showed them that the "waste of time" was worth the skill I learned from them, apparently they disapproved my lack of concentration in other subjects. Resisted of what I see as their useless preachings, I kept on playing games.

A lot of time has passed, I entered junior high school. For no reason, I became overly aggressive at that time, badmouthed everyone at the school, made random riots, small time gangs, etc. After repaying few debts to the society, I can't deny the fact that I was strongly affected by violent games (GTA series). But then, my ignorant attitude has never changed, and I didn't stop into playing games (And not for the reason to learn English anymore). And since my grades weren't dropping as much as predicted, I had no reason to stop (Haha). I entered few English competition just to shut my parents up, and I won some. In the graduation time, I left the school, also left the reputation as "The Coke Slingin' Speaker".

That was how I rolled to the senior high school, until I realize that formal attitude plays a bigger role than I thought. So I left out the less appropriate games and orientating myself towards community based communication.

And here I am, still in attempt to improve my English, although most said that it is more than enough.

tl;dr repetitive reading, gaming, and swearing brought me here.

My experiences with English is full of repetition, as we all know that repetition is the only way to learn a language.
But it was definitely worth it.

what an amazing story :thumbup
i think we have something in common
videogame-based-learning you know beer: it happens to me too ngakak except for the violent act and being jackass part
i'm kind of a good boy

honestly, i'm a little bit stunned by your writing manner,
i rarely see someone who's better in english other than my teacher, and i admit you are better than me :thumbup
esiaceria - 02/06/2012 08:51 PM

maybe when i learnt to say "sori" < i know this is not indonesian when i'm in 3rd grade D
and i think a learn a lot from hollywood movies, the subtitle is really helpful hehe. and still learning ever since, in the classroom and outside the classroom, now the internet is my main english techer.

CMIIW pls malus
Page 2 of 5 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Since When Did You Learn English? Share Your Story Here!