ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > :: Tips To Improve Your English ::
Total Views: 44620 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 1 of 48 |  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 11:59 AM
:: Tips To Improve Your English ::
Since so many kaskusers are asking how to improve English skills (by making new threads over and over hammer\), here's some tips I compile from some resources. Hope this helps! \)

How To Improve Your English Skills

My most important piece of advice is: "Do something (anything). If you don't do anything, you won't get anywhere. Make it your hobby, not a chore, but above all have fun!"

Don't be in too much of a hurry. You're setting off on a long journey and there'll be delays and frustrations along the way. Sometimes you'll be in the fast lane and other times you'll be stuck in traffic, but there will also be lots of interesting things and interesting people along the way. Take your time to really enjoy the experience.

There are many ways to improve your level of English, but only you can find the right way for you. Here are a few tips that might help:

Improve Your Learning Skills

Learning is a skill and it can be improved.
Your path to learning effectively is through knowing:
* yourself
* your capacity to learn
* processes you have successfully used in the past
* your interest, and knowledge of what you wish to learn

Motivate yourself

If you are not motivated to learn English you will become frustrated and give up. Ask yourself the following questions, and be honest:
* Why do you need to learn/improve English?
* Where will you need to use English?
* What skills do you need to learn/improve? (Reading/Writing/Listening/Speaking)
* How soon do you need to see results?
* How much time can you afford to devote to learning English.
* How much money can you afford to devote to learning English.
* Do you have a plan or learning strategy?

Set yourself achievable goals

You know how much time you can dedicate to learning English, but a short time each day will produce better, longer-term results than a full day on the weekend and then nothing for two weeks.

Joining a short intensive course could produce better results than joining a course that takes place once a week for six months.

Here are some goals you could set yourself:
* Join an English course (and attend regularly).
* Do your homework.
* Read a book a month.
* Learn a new word every day.
* Visit an English speaking forum every day.
* Read a news article on the net every day.
* Do 10 minutes listening practice every day.
* Watch an English film at least once a month.
* Follow a soap, comedy or radio or TV drama.

A good way to meet your goals is to establish a system of rewards and punishments.

Decide on a reward you will give yourself for fulfilling your goals for a month.
* A bottle of your favourite drink
* A meal out / or a nice meal at home
* A new outfit
* A manicure or massage

Understanding how you learn best may also help you.

There are different ways to learn. Find out what kind of learner you are in order to better understand how to learn more effectively.

Other English Learning Tips

Travel to an English speaking country and take an English speaking tour or activity holiday.

Spend your time on things that interest you. If you like cooking then buy an English-language cookbook or find recipes on the net and practise following the recipes. You'll soon know if you have made a mistake!

Keep something English on you (book, newspaper or magazine, CD or cassette, set of flashcards) all day and every day, you never know when you might have 5 spare minutes.

If you are too tired to actively practice just relax and listen to an English pop song or talk radio station.
p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 12:00 PM
What Kind of Learners Are You?
The Visual Learner

Do you need to see your teacher during lessons in order to fully understand the content of a lesson?

Do you prefer to sit at the front of the classroom to avoid visual obstructions (e.g. people's heads)?

Do you think in pictures and learn best from visual displays including: diagrams, illustrated text books, overhead transparencies, videos, flipcharts and hand-outs?

During a lecture or classroom discussion, do you prefer to take detailed notes to absorb the information?

Quote:
Learning Tip - you may benefit from taking part in traditional English lessons, but maybe private lessons would be better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --

The Auditory Learner

6E_RhFHfeJdQM" border="0" alt=":: Tips To Improve Your English ::" >/

Do you learn best through verbal lectures, discussions, talking things through and listening to what others have to say?

Do you interpret the underlying meanings of speech through listening to tone of voice, pitch, speed and other nuances?

Does written information have little meaning until you hear it?

Quote:
Learning Tip - you may benefit from listening to the radio or listening to text as you read it. You could try reading text aloud and using a tape recorder to play it back to yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --

The Tactile / Kinesthetic Learner

Do you learn best through a hands-on approach, actively exploring the physical world around you?

Do you find it hard to sit still for long periods?

Do you become distracted easily?

Quote:
Learning Tip - you may benefit from taking an active part in role plays or drama activities.
p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 12:00 PM
English Tips #1
Start

If you don't start, you'll never finish.

The longer you put it off, the more likely you are to give up. So start. Now.

Find an English class.

Find some English learning software or books.

Join an English learning forum.

Begin learning the English alphabet (ABC) and numbers (123).

Learn the vocabulary for your hobbies or interests.

Do something. Do anything.

Once you've started - don't stop.
p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 12:01 PM
English Tips #2
Practice Makes Perfect

OK - so you've started. Now what?

Now you have to practise - a lot.

Have you ever worked out how many years it took you to gain your current level in your native language?

Don't forget you had exposure to that language 24 hours a day seven days a week. Now work out how many hours that was.

So, if you think you can learn all the English you need in an hour and a half a week - think again. Don't get me wrong, it's fine if you only want to learn certain phrases for travelling or fun: "Two beers please", or "Hello my name is ...", but if you want to become truly proficient, you've got a long way to go.

You can do a lot by yourself, you can rehearse conversations and explanations you might need to use in real life, but then you have to get out into that real life. Luckily with the internet you can do a lot online. Find a friendly native speaker who would like to learn your language, or learn about your culture, if you can't do that you can do a lot by finding a language buddy, someone who is learning English and is on a similar level to you. Finding someone who is better than you certainly helps, and once you are more proficient find someone who needs your help too.

Just remember, English is a living language, you need to live it.
p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 12:03 PM
English Tips #3
Take Responsibility

It's easy to expect your teacher to teach you English, but that's not how language acquisition works. The teacher is there to present English to you, but you have to learn it.

After all, you wouldn't expect a waiter to eat your dinner for you, or a barman to drink your beer for you.

I was always very clear with my students. In the first lesson I would tell them I wasn't there to teach them English, I was there to help them learn it. There is a difference. So, once you've been presented with new English words or vocabulary, it's up to you to use it, review it, even play with it. It's the only way you'll get it to stick in your brain and start to make sense.
p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 12:03 PM
English Tips #4
The Most Commonly Used Words in Written English

(Source: American Heritage Word Frequency Book)

1. The
2. Of
3. And
4. A
5. To
6. In
7. Is
8. You
9. That
10. It
11. He
12. For

These might be the most common words, but they're also the ones that will probably give you the most trouble, knowing them is one thing, knowing how to use them quite another. Size can be deceptive. Tongue out
h0lyface - 09/02/2010 12:04 PM

nice and useful info

if i am allowed and would add something:
start by listening as often as you can
p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 12:06 PM
English Tips #5
Talk to Yourself

Talking to yourself is no longer the first sign of madness - it's the first sign of excellence.

"Self-talk" can help you to become more fluent. And the great thing is - you can do it anywhere: in the bath, in the car, while you're taking the dog for a walk.

Try to put a regular time aside every day when you can talk to yourself in English. Talk about what you did yesterday, what you are doing, about interesting things which have happened to you and the things you're planning to do in the future.
p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 12:12 PM
English Tips #6
Reflect on What You Are Learning

Try to recall what you have learnt as you are taking a class as well as afterwards. Try different ways of studying the material. Think about applying these new concepts to your work situation. From time to time, review the classes you have completed as a refresher. Do some of the exercises you did a few months ago, and see if you've improved your score.
p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 12:14 PM
English Tips #7
Learn Words in Context

Research shows that the vast majority of words are learned from context. To improve your vocabulary pay close attention to how words are used. Doing a search on a word using Google or DejaNews (for searching newsgroups) will give you many examples of how that word is used in context.

Useful Search Tips Using Google

1. Choose your keywords wisely.
For example instead of typing adjectives, type in:
english grammar adjectives

2. To get a more accurate result search for phrases by using quotation marks.
For example instead of typing learn english free, type in:
"learn english free "

3. To find out the meaning of a word type "define:" + the word or phrase.
For example type in:
define: fix up

Results = find (something or someone) for; "I'll fix you up with a nice girl" or arrange: make arrangements for; "Can you arrange a meeting with the President?"

Check your English Grammar

You can use this tip to check simple sentence structure:-If you are in doubt about a sentence try typing it into Google.

Quote:
For example: "I have never to America been." reveals no hits - that indicates it's wrong.

Rewrite the sentence: "I have never been to America." reveals 301 hits - a strong indication that it's correct.

Don't forget to put the (") symbol at the beginning and end of the sentence.
If your sentence is too long, try shortening it.

Check your English Spelling

You can use this tip to check the spelling of a word:-If you are in doubt about how to spell a word try typing it into Google. Google will offer an alternative spelling if it thinks you've spelt it incorrectly.

Quote:
For example: "appartment" reveals 6,950,000 hits! But Google asks "Did you mean: apartment" with a link that reveals 122,000,000 hits. Apartment is the correct spelling - over 6 million people have got it wrong, but not you!

If it's the kind of word that can be spelt two different ways with two different meanings, check the web sites that come up as a result of the search. Are they what you mean when you use this word?

Quote:
For example: "heir and hair" Heir reveals 12,800,000 hits and the results are about inheritance. Hair reveals 255,000,000 hits and the results are about style and hair care - oh and the musical.

Improve your English Vocabulary

You can use this tip to improve your vocabulary.

To be on the safe side enable "Safe Search" in your preferences.

When you use Google you can search for specific images. Just click on "Images" on the menu above the search box. Type in the word you want to find an image for.

For example:- "railway" = 671,000 hits

You can also search for phrases.

For example:- "raining cats and dogs " = 885 hits

Extra Useful Google Tips

1. Use Google to translate words into your language.
http://www.google.co.id/language_tools?hl=en

2. Download the Google Toolbar to instantly translate words on English web pages into your language.
http://toolbar.google.com/index_xp.html

Using the WordTranslator option choose the language you wish to translate into. Then just hover your cursor over an English word and Toolbar's WordTranslator will tell you what it means in your own language. WordTranslator currently supports translation from English into Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), Japanese, Korean, French, Italian, German and Spanish.
p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 12:15 PM
English Tips #8
Learn From Your Mistakes

We all make mistakes, so we need to learn to accept them as a fact of life. Making a genuine mistake does not make you any less of a person.

If anyone gives you an unnecessarily stressful time about making a mistake, remember they will have made just as many mistakes as you, if not more. The question 'May I congratulate you on never having made a mistake in your life?' is a useful answer here (just not to your teacher)!

Never making a mistake means never living life to the full.

More useful lessons are learnt from mistakes than from successes.

Children learn to walk because they get up when they fall, not because they stay down.

Repeat each morning that to risk failure is to court success.
p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 12:16 PM
English Tips #9
Learn to Learn

You never finish learning, nor do you ever finish learning how to learn.

* Think and work independently don't depend solely on your teacher or trainer.
* Develop a love of learning.
* Have a vision that motivates you.
* Participate in any related activities.
* Help others to learn.
* Learn from your mistakes and failures.
* Keep a sense of humour.
* Don't give up!

You can learn what kind of learner you are here!
p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 12:17 PM
English Tips #10
Being Understood

If you're struggling to get someone to understand you, try the tips below:

* Speak more slowly (not louder!)
* Keep it simple. Use words that are most common. For example, if you want to say cat, don't use the word feline.
* Keep it simple. Use basic sentence structures (subject/verb/object).
* Don't worry about pronouns, instead use the names of people you are talking about.
* Use a lot of hand gestures. "Do you mean up?" Raise up your hands to help the person understand the word.
* Use sound effects. You may feel silly, but if you are trying to tell someone that something exploded, using the sound "Ka Boom!" will get your point across!
p1nk3d_books - 09/02/2010 12:20 PM
English Tips #11
Learning Vocabulary 2

Learning a word won't help very much if you promptly forget it. Research shows that it takes from 10 to 20 repetitions to really make a word part of your vocabulary.

It helps to write the word - both the definition and a sentence you make up using the word - perhaps on an index card that can later be reviewed.

As soon as you learn a new word, start using it. Review your index cards periodically to see if you have forgotten any of your new words.

Quote:
Continued to Page 2!!
Sigit Purnama - 09/02/2010 01:31 PM

Hello...

Let me join...
jejaka_mude - 09/02/2010 02:18 PM

Thank u
i wanna try ur tips:: Tips To Improve Your English ::
veri8891 - 09/02/2010 03:03 PM

hello nice thread gan...
I''ll try to practice your tips...but I think EF Kaskus also is one of medium to learn english ilovekaskus

Quote:
Travel to an English speaking country and take an English speaking tour or activity holiday.

yeah...it seems effective tips..but, We need a lot of money & effort to realize that tips...\( \(
TheHaunting - 09/02/2010 04:09 PM

wew! nice tips to follow beer:
ucihaanwari - 09/02/2010 04:18 PM

just one reason why i love english= i want to married to europe /america woman!mahomahomaho
FrozenFlame - 09/02/2010 05:15 PM

Let me join.

The only things in my mind to improve my English..

Because I love English !! kisskisskiss

It's one of the richest language in the world, one of the easier language I learned, beside Chinese and Japanese.

==============
Page 1 of 48 |  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > :: Tips To Improve Your English ::