ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > [IMPORTANT]English Forum Rules & FAQ - Read it first! <Report infractions here or VM>
Total Views: 13355 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 1 of 10 |  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

ID* - 09/01/2009 02:50 AM
[IMPORTANT]English Forum Rules & FAQ - Read it first! <Report infractions here or VM>
I've been deleting many useless posts and I thought I might as well emphasize the Rules again. The rules have been refined for clarity.

English Forum Rules:
1. NO INDONESIAN WHATSOEVER UNLESS STATED OR APPROVED BY THE MOD
The key importance is to try to do it in English first doesn't matter how bad it is, when that is no longer sufficient then you can utilize Bahasa Indonesia to clarify it but keep in mind that that we're not here to do homework or assignments, assistance will be given but only after initial work have been done. Last but not least, always strive to use proper English. Do not use corny spelling/words (baidewai, gan, etc) , it is not funny nor is it useful.

2. PLEASE READ THE EXISTING THREADS FIRST BEFORE CREATING A NEW ONE. AN FAQ IS POSTED BELOW FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE.
Please remember to search in the forum first if that question have been asked and answered or check for the appropriate thread to post it, both in the main and sub forum. Most of the stickied threads are there to ask questions and assistance.

3. PLEASE DO NOT SPAM AND/OR MAKE USELESS THREADS/POST/COMMENT SUCH AS "PERTAMAXXX" OR FULL OF SMILEYS.
- EF is not the place to increase your posts. Junk posts will be deleted, persistent survivors will be banned.
- Posting insignificant replies in multiple threads are considered spamming.
- If you really appreciate the poster then the least you can do is write a couple of sentences to show your appreciation.
- If you can't help then it's better not to post. A post for the purpose of bumping isn't helping.
- General talk should only be done in the EF Lounge Thread, no need to make other threads.

4. IF YOU SEE SOMEONE POSTING IN INDONESIAN PLEASE LET THE USER KNOW THIS FORUM IS STRICTLY ENGLISH

5. IF YOU WANT TO ADVERTISE A PRODUCT/SERVICE OR TO MAKE MONEY, EF ISN'T THE PLACE TO BE.
This includes but not limited to:
- Tutoring Service (Private,Public,Business, etc)
- Website and/or Blog that promotes/offers English Lesson with anytype of compensation (monetary and other kind).
- Selling English materials (books, audio books, e-books, apps, etc).
- Self Advertisement for Traffic / Adsense.
- Promoting a thread that sells english materials
Such post can be made in the "Forum Jual Beli"

6. PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST
Extending from #2, this includes but not limited to:
- Posts (new thread and replies) that insults another person's religion, race, views, or English ability will be deleted immediately.
- Any posts that are intended to disturb peace, inflict anger/pain or annoy to others.
- Any materials with mature content.
- There's no need to be rude and use profanity.
- Making posts and replies with ulterior motive and or additional materials that are off topic such as promoting your own thread, requesting/trading grg and things of such nature will not be tolerated.
- Bumping a thread requires a minimal of 24 hours interval and you must post something significant that is valuable to the thread.
- Informative thread yes but be sure to give credit where credit is due.
- Try to avoid making one hit wonders, especially if thread is not sustainable. Continuously making such thread may be considered as spamming.

7. NO CYBER-BULLYING
This includes but not limited to:
The use of alternate accounts, bad reputation (BRP) spam and other Kaskus' feature to support deliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior by an individual or group, that is intended to harass and/or harm a particular individual.

8. DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK FIRST !
This forum and its contributors are NOT here to do your homework, assignment, quiz, project, thesis, dissertation, etc. You are more than welcome to ask for assistance or second opinion but you must do your part first before any assistance will be given (to the very least try to Google it). Laziness have no place in EF.

Any violation will result in any combination of the following response(s) in no particular order:

[*]Post deletion.
[*]Bad Reputation to the offender.
[*]Closing/deletion of the thread.
[*]Permanent/temporary ban.

It is every Kaskuser responsibility to obey the rules, no prior warning or notice will be given. Ignorance of the rules excuses no one.

Regarding English Forum Enthusiast:
An English Forum Enthusiast tag is a recognition to any individuals that have significant contribution to the English Forum. It is also a sign that the Mods is in support of them and have every confidence that they are working for good of the forum.

Each person was under the scrutiny of the Mods for a long time and have no knowledge until the decision has been made. It was a long and tedious process to analyze and find a discerning pattern in their personality and behavior just from looking at their posts. We looked at how they respond to others, how they explain their answer, how they accommodate a question, their choice of words, their follow up, etc. At the end of the process, no stone was left unturned. Once it is decided, we will enter the request for the tag and the notify the person.

Needless to say, people with the tag are hold to a higher standard than a regular user. Although it is a long process to ensure that the tag holders are the cream of the crop, it can also be revoked. The tag does not bestow any other privilege other than "bragging rights" but I am willing to go out on a limb to say that people with EF tags are not doing it to brag they just want to help others.

This may sound corny but I'm going to use a famous quote as a golden rule for EF tag:

iloveindonesia "Ask not what EF can do for you - ask what you can do for EF." iloveindonesia

Simply put:

You don't ask for a tag, you earn it !!!

These are simple and straightforward rules, if you have any questions please post it here. Report all infractions through this thread, vm or PM us.

Sincerely,

iD* & Stu
(as of 9/30/10)
p1nk3d_books - 10/02/2010 05:27 PM
[IMPORTANT] English Forum Rules and FAQ - Read here first before posting
Please read here first before making a new thread!

First of all, you should readThe Rulesand read all the Sticky ones to make sure that your thread doesn't break any rules.

Second, always try to Google first your question before making a new thread!

If you really can't find it, try to change your keyword. If you still can't find it, read all the FAQs below, and if your question(s) aren't there, then you can make a new thread!

[IMPORTANT]English Forum Rules & FAQ - Read it first! <Report infractions here or VM>

Frequently Asked Questions in English Forum

1. - I want to speak English with others or
- I want to improve my Speaking skills or
- I want to talk to English with foreigners.

Answer:
- Chat with EF lovers in the EF Lounge
- Share your Yahoo! Messenger ID and talk with each other in YM Club
- Chit-chat with kaskusers through Y!M in Let's Chit-Chat in a Fun Way
- Chat with foreigners in Omegle.com (should be careful, though! There are so many perverts! p)

2. - How to improve my English skill? or
- How to improve my English generally? or
- How are the easiest ways to learn English?

Answer:
- Read 'Tips to Improve Your English'
Read 'Tips to Improve Your English - Part II'
- Read 'Funny Tips to Learn English'
- Read 'Study Vocabulary'
- Read 'How to Improve One's English'
- Read 'The New Method to Improve Your English'.
- Read '[HOT] How to Improve English Grammar'
- Go to sources given in the '[ENGLISH LEARNING] Sources to Learn English'

3. I want to ask others' opinion on my writing.

Answer:
- Go to '[WRITING] Improve Your Writing, Get It Revised By Others'
- Go to 'Share Your Writing for Academic Purposes and Discuss It With Others'

4. - I want to ask something/some word/some sentence I don't understand in English or
- I want to check whether something that I wrote is correct or
- I want to ask about Grammar or
- I want to ask about how is the correct way to say/use bla bla bla...

Answer:
- Go to 'Permintaan Bantuan Terjemahan English Indonesia'
- Go to All about Grammar & Tenses - The correct way to say/use .... ask it here !!

5. - I want to ask for a specific e-book or
- Where can I find e-books of English learning material? or
- Anyone have e-books of grammar? or
- I am a teacher, where can I find sources for teaching English?

Answer:
- Go to E-Books: English Study Materials
- Go to 'Cool Sites for English Teacher'.

5. I want to know Quotes, Idioms, and Aphorisms in English.

Answer:
- Go to 'Quotes, Idioms, and Phrases'
- Go to 'English Aphorism and Such'

6. I want to know the nearest TOEFL Course in my city

Answer:
Go to 'Everything About: TOEFL Courses All Over Indonesia'

7. Why are my post counts not increased when I post something in 'Fun With English' subforum?

Answer:
'Fun With English' Subforum has disabled post counts function.

That's all for now... Will add some more if there's anything that's not here but felt important... Peace:

Quote:
Don't Ask What English Forum Can Do For You, but Instead...
Ask Yourself, What Can You Do For English Forum!
(p1nk KasKus - 198x - now)

Best Regards,
p1nk kiss
p1nk3d_books - 26/02/2010 02:37 PM

The most common questions people asked to me are:

[*]I want to learn English.

[*]Can I have your YM/FB to learn online?

[*]Do I have to learn grammar?

[*]How long will it take me to learn English?

[*]Is learning English difficult?

[*]Is English Grammar difficult?

[*]What is the most difficult thing about learning English?

[*]How can I improve my English?

[*]Is there a difference between American and British English?

[*]Which is better US English or British English?

[*]What do I need to start learning English?

[*]What is the best way to practice my English?

[*]What is the best way to use a DVD player to help my English?

[*]Are you really a female?

I want to learn English.
Actually this is often phrased as "I want learn English," and I am always tempted to say "Well you've found it!" As it is I have a few points to make:

1. This isn't a question, it's a statement.
2. It's boring.
3. You need to be more specific.

Can I have your YM/FB to learn online?
Even though I'm so happy to let you all know my face (and to prove that I'm really a female! hammer\), I'm sorry to say no. The Facebook contains too private data and the YM are for friends only. However, I do give out my YM to people that I feel I already know them better. So, be nice to me! \)

Do I have to learn grammar?
Of course you do. Sorry! Think of English vocabulary as the bricks of the language and grammar as the mortar that hold those bricks together, without the mortar the bricks can come tumbling down! A lack of grammatical skills can cause embarrassing misunderstandings.

When you begin to learn English, speaking and building up your vocabulary is more important than worrying about correct grammar. However, as you progress you need to incorporate more grammar into your learning programme. At an advanced level you should be thinking much more about the correct use of the English language. And eventually you should be able to forget about it all together and start doing what comes naturally.

There is a common impression that learning English grammar is painful, but it is a lot easier than many other languages. Of course, English is more than just memorizing grammar rules, the grammar must be incorporated into the everyday use of the language, theory and practice should go hand in hand. For more information on grammar check out my little grammar page.

How long will it take me to learn English?
How long is a piece of string? Actually, if I had Rp.1,00 for every time I have heard that question I could travel round the world. The answer is, "It varies", it depends on a variety of factors. For instance; your motivation (if you have a gun held to your head I bet you'll learn very quickly), the level of English you wish to acquire, not everyone needs or wants to be fluent in a second language, someone who wants to use English on holiday does not need the same level of English as someone who needs it for business purposes. As a result some people are happy after 1 to 3 years, whilst others might take 4 years, 10 years, or a lifetime! You can't give accurate time frames for learning.

There has been a lot of research done into this area by people a lot cleverer than I, it shows that effective learning is influenced by many factors, some of which are:

* Access to effective teaching and educational materials influence the length of time it takes to learn English.
* People vary in abilities, motivation and readiness to learn.
* Classes should be tailored to the linguistic, cultural, and academic learning needs of the learner.

Is learning English difficult?
No, English is an easy language to start learning because:
* it has no genders. Apart from people, all objects are 'neuter', not 'masculine' or 'feminine'. So you say 'it' for such things, and do not need to learn any genders.
* it usually has easy verb endings. Apart from a few 'irregular' verbs, verb endings are easy, and hardly change.
* adjectives remain the same for all words - there are no different endings to learn.
* the singular and plural pronoun 'you' is the same. There is no need to decide whether to use a polite form, or an intimate form.

Is English Grammar difficult?
No, English grammar is not half as difficult as some other languages, such as German. We have the French to thank for that. In 1066 William the Conqueror brought to England the French language as well as the ability to build impressive castles . French was the official language in England for nearly 300 years and so the English language was kept alive by the common people (rather than the academics who do like to keep the status quo). As a result nearly all the difficult word-endings, inflexions and marks of gender and case were gaily dispensed with.

What is the most difficult thing about learning English?
The most difficult things about learning English are:
* Spelling and pronunciation - the spelling of a word may not show what the pronunciation is. This is because English words came from many different sources, learn the phonetic spelling sounds and make and use a good dictionary.
* False friends - because English came from two main sources - old French, and old Anglo-Saxon, there is a very large vocabulary of words. Watch out for words that seem similar, they may have come from your language and mean the same, these are called cognitives, or they may have different meanings these are false cognitives (false friends).
* Idioms - native English speakers use a lot of idioms, that is - words used in a way which is not their obvious meaning. Learn them, but try not to use them in important meetings etc., they can be quite open to misinterpretation. If the people you are talking to suddenly look very shocked you've probably just misused one.

How can I improve my English?
This is a huge question. So, i've written a whole section on How to improve your English. See the links provided above.

Is there a difference between American and British English?
Unfortunately the answer to this question is yes. There are many differences between British and American English, pronunciation, spelling and grammar are just a few. In fact English is the first language in many countries and there are differences between them all, these include; Australia, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, South Africa and the USA. This site is devoted to British English.

As one of my favourite writers said "We have everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language." (Oscar Wilde, 1887, The Canterville Ghost).

Which is better American or British English?
It depends upon which English you will be most exposed to. If you are moving to the US then learn American English, if you're going to work for a British company then learn British English. And don't forget there are many different kinds of English and the rising star of International English.

What do I need to start learning English?
1. Time - practise your English every day, listening, speaking or reading.
2. Patience - do not give up, learning a language can be a long process, but don't panic.
3. A sense of humour - learning English should be fun, so have fun!
4. Having a good English teacher or an English speaking friend is always going to help, you can learn English through books and tapes but books and tapes can't answer questions or help when you are stuck.
5. People to practice with - get together with other people who are interested in learning English, it increases the fun and reduces the frustration. Join or start an English club or join a book reading club, if you can't find one in your area set one up or join the BBCs on-line book group.
6. A vocabulary notebook - write down new words in a notebook. Don't translate them, but write the new word into context in a meaningful sentence.
7. A good English dictionary - not an Indonesian-English dictionary, but a real English dictionary. Look up the meaning of new words here first, this will help you build your vocabulary.

What is the best way to practise my English?
I have included a whole section on this here.

What is the best way to use a DVD player to help my English?
Using a DVD player is a great way to help you improve your English. It is best if you have some knowledge of English. Make sure the DVD has the film or programme in English with your native language, both as the spoken word (dubbed) and with sub-titles. Always check on the back of the DVD.

I recommend my intermediate to advanced students to watch DVDs in the following way.

1. Watch the DVD all the way through in English only (no sub-titles).
2. Watch it again (scene by scene) in English with your language as sub-titles. Repeat scenes as necessary.
3. Watch it again in (scene by scene) in English with English sub-titles. Repeat scenes as necessary.
4. Watch it again in your language all the way through with English sub-titles.
5. If you aren't sick to death of it yet watch it again in English all the way through with no sub-titles.

As you watch the film scene by scene make a note of the main new vocabulary, especially new phrases.

Are you really a female?
Duh. Do I really need to open up my shirt and flash you my boobs? ;)
Orthanc - 23/04/2010 01:14 AM

just a suggestion mod, although all kinds of English services advertising should be placed in FJB, I still think it is necessary to connect them with EF somehow, since people visiting here would also be looking for such services.

How about putting a locked - but editable by you - thread containing the links to the FJB threads offering such services? you don't collect the links by yourself, but interested parties must contact you to get their links posted there. The links themselves can be those which lead to FJB, or external sites (better separate the indexing for each). You will also get to pick which thread is educationally worthy.

this would be better than having that "English learning sources" thread, of which contents would be similar to this one I'm suggesting IMO.

just my 2 cents.
el_stup1do - 03/05/2010 01:39 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Orthanc
just a suggestion mod, although all kinds of English services advertising should be placed in FJB, I still think it is necessary to connect them with EF somehow, since people visiting here would also be looking for such services.

How about putting a locked - but editable by you - thread containing the links to the FJB threads offering such services? you don't collect the links by yourself, but interested parties must contact you to get their links posted there. The links themselves can be those which lead to FJB, or external sites (better separate the indexing for each). You will also get to pick which thread is educationally worthy.

this would be better than having that "English learning sources" thread, of which contents would be similar to this one I'm suggesting IMO.

just my 2 cents.

Well I've thought about that but it keeps coming to a couple of things:
1. We cannot verify any of the services offered. Yes we can put a disclaimer up front but honestly how many people will actually read it. Even with all the security measures and precautions set in FJB , they are still having problems with scams.

2. By allowing it posted in here where there is already a venue for such activities will give a false sense of validity where in reality we do not sponsor any of it. Even if it is from a "known" name such EF or LIA, there is really no way to say that their course(s) is any good. Add to it, the complexity on how much it varies from one person to another in learning English then there is really no way to say which approach is superior to the other.

3. Last but not least, everyone here is helping for free. It just doesn't feel right to see someone trying to gain monetary gain from it. Bear in mind if someone is really interested in asking one of the Kaskuser as their tutor for example, there's really nothing stopping them to pm the person directly.

Having someone "unproven" advertising to be a tutor just doesn't feel right to me. For now we will leave it as it is, although we might consider having a thread to advertise for jobs or positions that requires English proficiency in the premise that they are soliciting for service instead of advertising for service. We will have to investigate this idea further before proceeding.
Orthanc - 04/05/2010 12:15 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By el_stup1do
Well I've thought about that but it keeps coming to a couple of things:
1. We cannot verify any of the services offered. Yes we can put a disclaimer up front but honestly how many people will actually read it. Even with all the security measures and precautions set in FJB , they are still having problems with scams.

2. By allowing it posted in here where there is already a venue for such activities will give a false sense of validity where in reality we do not sponsor any of it. Even if it is from a "known" name such EF or LIA, there is really no way to say that their course(s) is any good. Add to it, the complexity on how much it varies from one person to another in learning English then there is really no way to say which approach is superior to the other.

3. Last but not least, everyone here is helping for free. It just doesn't feel right to see someone trying to gain monetary gain from it. Bear in mind if someone is really interested in asking one of the Kaskuser as their tutor for example, there's really nothing stopping them to pm the person directly.

Having someone "unproven" advertising to be a tutor just doesn't feel right to me. For now we will leave it as it is, although we might consider having a thread to advertise for jobs or positions that requires English proficiency in the premise that they are soliciting for service instead of advertising for service. We will have to investigate this idea further before proceeding.

I'm not just saying that the "services" are all about selling things and allowing them to advertise here. This is just a matter of organizing and facilitating those who would like to sell their services, by informing them that:

1. If they'd like to sell their services they should go to FJB, not here
2. However, we give them a space to promote the links to their FJB threads, just in case somebody here is interested in purchasing/using what they sell.
3. By giving them a special spot to promote their links (localization), we help prevent similar threads from proliferating elsewhere in EF in the future, while also giving an alternative to those seeking English learning sources other than the freebies.

I don't think localizing them would instantly imply that we sponsor those threads. Maybe the "selection" process I said had the tendency of making such impression, and therefore I take back that idea of mine.

If we are worried that most of the services cannot be verified easily, then at least the thread can be a "marketplace" of which goods can be limited to several categories only:

1. Private tutor. Although of course, like you say, anyone can ask someone else here to teach them English for free, there are those who probably need money and therefore decided to make a small business out of it. Providing them with such opportunity would not instantly threaten the culture of free education we are developing here in EF, especially since most people would prefer to have the free ones. besides, private tutorial is different than voluntary - non routine sharings we have here.

2. Sworn translator. Alright, we have a thread for translations, but sometimes people are looking for the formal stuff.

We can, reject proposals to advertise ebooks provision for the sake of renouncing piracy DDD. As for how the advertisers can be guaranteed of their quality, well... by not giving any guarantee to them in the first place, we are indirectly saying to the folks here to warn them of "use at own risk".

The advertisement posts inside this "marketplace" thread must only be in the form of a brief summary of their goods/services, and a link to their FJB thread. If we are to use a business - organizational mindset, the threads these links refer to must be located inside Kaskus FJB. Therefore we are also supporting Kaskus. \)

Moreover, if we fear of risking the quality of "english learning sources" provided by this "marketplace", then the thread must not bear any impression of it replacing the "Sources for Learning English" thread. On the other hand, the latter must also be reorganized again since I saw some "advertisements" inside it which may render people thinking whether these have been "selected" to be the only valid ones because the thread's locked already.

Just an idea of mine, perhaps it (or only half of it, or less) would not work at this time around, and we may need to discuss it in real life.

But as for now, I reckon that maintaining stickies like we have here would require great effort, and we should consider to avoid having to many of them like marpple said.

I think by the time you and ID will be able to join the Gath (July, right?), we can discuss about the EF rules as well. \)
illuminaire - 12/06/2010 12:53 PM
can we open a gossip forum in english?
Here is my idea, Im not sure whether we allowed to have a gossip forum in English or not, however I think it would increase our ability to speak good English, my idea based on my opinion about Indonesian who does like to gossip.

so what do you guys think?

PS: to moderators in English Forum, I must beg your forgiveness if this matter has been discussed earlier OR written in the forum rules, I am not a typical readers you see \)
el_stup1do - 12/06/2010 07:04 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By illuminaire
Here is my idea, Im not sure whether we allowed to have a gossip forum in English or not, however I think it would increase our ability to speak good English, my idea based on my opinion about Indonesian who does like to gossip.

so what do you guys think?

PS: to moderators in English Forum, I must beg your forgiveness if this matter has been discussed earlier OR written in the forum rules, I am not a typical readers you see \)

Well I think you're referring to a gossip thread instead of a subforum? A gossip subforum is not a good idea since there is already one under the Lounge and observing from the posts there it is nothing but junkers, that is something we definitely don't want.

Thread wise I think there's already a thread to have casual English discussion, which is the EF Lounge. For all intents and purposes there are no set topics there so people can jump in anytime and start participating, let it be gossip, daily activities, news, sports, etc. Having an entirely separate gossip thread will be infringing on the EF Lounge territory. If there is an overwhelming request for such thread and/or if the EF lounge is no longer capable to facilitate such need then we can reconsider it, however at this time we don't see a pressing need to do so.

In closing, join the fun and wild English Forum Lounge !!!

Stu
illuminaire - 13/06/2010 01:04 AM

Quote:
Well I think you're referring to a gossip thread instead of a subforum? A gossip subforum is not a good idea since there is already one under the Lounge and observing from the posts there it is nothing but junkers, that is something we definitely don't want.

Thread wise I think there's already a thread to have casual English discussion, which is the EF Lounge. For all intents and purposes there are no set topics there so people can jump in anytime and start participating, let it be gossip, daily activities, news, sports, etc. Having an entirely separate gossip thread will be infringing on the EF Lounge territory. If there is an overwhelming request for such thread and/or if the EF lounge is no longer capable to facilitate such need then we can reconsider it, however at this time we don't see a pressing need to do so.

In closing, join the fun and wild English Forum Lounge !!!

Stu

gotcha mod! thanx
aldyshekoski - 06/07/2010 07:38 PM

Mod, I wanna post a report, but where can I find the thread? I'm looking for the thread but no result. Soo I post here.. If you're done, you can delete this post \)

Please delete this thread
https://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?t=4148565

thankyou \)
el_stup1do - 06/07/2010 10:25 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By aldyshekoski
Mod, I wanna post a report, but where can I find the thread? I'm looking for the thread but no result. Soo I post here.. If you're done, you can delete this post \)

Please delete this thread
https://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?t=4148565

thankyou \)

Feel free to PM me to report something, I will investigate it and take proper action.

If it is a request to delete or close a thread, you can post it here.

All done btw.
am3LL - 20/07/2010 12:58 PM

excuse me, as a newbie I know nothing about english forum and it's stuff . So may I ask about any spesific forum such as kaskus english forum for the jogjanese or something like that? D . it would be fun I guess . thank you so much malu:
p1nk3d_books - 20/07/2010 03:24 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By am3LL
excuse me, as a newbie I know nothing about english forum and it's stuff . So may I ask about any spesific forum such as kaskus english forum for the jogjanese or something like that? D . it would be fun I guess . thank you so much malu:

Nah, there's no such a thing. We don't make threads for chit-chatting for each specific region. Just go to English Lounge and say hi to everyone... \)
am3LL - 21/07/2010 01:36 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
Nah, there's no such a thing. We don't make threads for chit-chatting for each specific region. Just go to English Lounge and say hi to everyone... \)

aww okay , thank you kiss see yah there (I hope) \)
bluepunk - 02/09/2010 02:53 AM

Quote:
Feel free to PM me to report something, I will investigate it and take proper action.

If it is a request to delete or close a thread, you can post it here.

All done btw.

okay mister!
nabrakkaktus - 10/09/2010 10:25 PM

hello, im new here

its been a very helpful tutorial you've written above
i'm glad that you provide such a wide information,including tips n tricks about learning English, telling me that motivation determines the result of our study.
maho
remembering me that my motivation is in a very low degree
berduka

really sorry for my awkward language, i need more and more exercise.
i hope helps are provided here
maho

best regards
ck
gbgue - 01/10/2010 03:54 PM

"Ask not what EF can do for you - ask what you can do for EF."

IMO "Don't Ask what EF can do for you - ask what you can do for EF."

CMIIW malu:
el_stup1do - 01/10/2010 06:03 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By gbgue
"Ask not what EF can do for you - ask what you can do for EF."

IMO "Don't Ask what EF can do for you - ask what you can do for EF."

CMIIW malu:

Errr both sentence are correct but the one in the rules is a modified form of a one of the most famous quote (if not the most) made by JFK.
gbgue - 01/10/2010 11:06 PM

Quote:
Errr both sentence are correct but the one in the rules is a modified form of a one of the most famous quote (if not the most) made by JFK.

oh yea
i just come back from google translate linux2: same meaning
but what's JFK?
el_stup1do - 02/10/2010 09:54 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By gbgue
oh yea
i just come back from google translate linux2: same meaning
but what's JFK?

JFK >-- John F. Kennedy, he was America 35th president.

Here's the quote:
John F. Kennedy was sworn in as the 35th President at noon on January 20, 1961. In his inaugural address he spoke of the need for all Americans to be active citizens, famously saying, "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

[CODE]http://www.famousquotes.me.uk/speeches/John_F_Kennedy/5.htm[/CODE]

I'm sure this quote is up there in the most memorable quotes in US History (if such list exist) along with MLK "I have a dream" and Neil Armstrong "One small step".
Page 1 of 10 |  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > [IMPORTANT]English Forum Rules & FAQ - Read it first! <Report infractions here or VM>