Fun with English
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > Fun with English > Let's chit-chat in a Fun Way (English YM Club)
Total Views: 29616 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 18 of 54 | ‹ First  < 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 >  Last ›

AngelicRayment - 01/12/2010 02:52 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By spacemanspliff
Dearest friends,

I see this thread is slowly turning into an ugly debating forum [my apology for the little exaggeration], hehe. I had a little chit chat with TS, motivated to place a challenge towards his claiming to speak the "Jude Law" English; but, instead of finding a complete twat, I found a friendly fella who aimed to just improve his English by getting a community together.

He might have foolishly posted, and delivered such potentially wrong impression about his effort to improve his English [yes, I could not agree more]; however, I believe the existence of our forum here would have a great impact on learners like TS to develop his personal linguistic skill, and it would be a defined moral task for your [or others'] fluency to provide good guidance within the good intention to be a part of the forum.

I hope this post carries a valuable understanding for all.

Cheers!

Spaceman

Pardon my language.

That is my intention first place, my point is simple:

Don't worry about accent for the time being, get your basic rights. And don't get intimidated if we're speaking in asian accent because that is natural since we're after all asian. There is no good accent, you're just born with it, but there is good, precise and clear English.

That is all, sorry I should have written my expression a little more formal to avoid misunderstanding ;) iloveindonesia
spacemanspliff - 01/12/2010 03:31 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By AngelicRayment
Pardon my language.

Don't worry about accent for the time being, get your basic rights. And don't get intimidated if we're speaking in asian accent because that is natural since we're after all asian. There is no good accent, you're just born with it, but there is good, precise and clear English.

That is all, sorry I should have written my expression a little more formal to avoid misunderstanding ;) iloveindonesia

No worries mate, for I actually agree with you.

Furthermore, to be quite frankly, I think your opinion about the use of another accent other than our own is more than just solid, it definitely counts! The emphasize of an accent would actually come automatically as you improve your speaking, as it occurred to a few of my students who developed such heavy accent through American movies, hehe.

Dear TS, we suggest you to concentrate more on the basic ever before Jude Law, because as I have heard, your English is actually quite good, the type that others could learn from.

Are we good mate?

Cheers!

Spaceman [lovineftobits] D
spacemanspliff - 01/12/2010 03:35 PM

Quote:
Pardon my language.

Furthermore, to be quite frankly, I think your opinion about the use of another accent other than our own is more than just solid, it definitely counts! The emphasize of an accent would actually come automatically as you improve your speaking, as it occurred to a few of my students who developed such heavy accent through American movies, hehe.

Dear TS, we suggest you to concentrate more on the basic ever before Jude Law, because as I have heard, your English is actually quite good, the type that others could learn from.

Are we good mate?

Cheers!

AngelicRayment - 01/12/2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Are we good mate?

Cheers!

Dont' ask me are we good or not.

It's a forum, bantering is what it's for :P

I need a worthy opponent :P

/cheers
spacemanspliff - 01/12/2010 03:48 PM

Quote:
Dont' ask me are we good or not.

It's a forum, bantering is what it's for :P

I need a worthy opponent :P

/cheers

Did you mean to say "don't ask me whether we are good or not"?

D

Peace!

Spaceman
F. Luccava - 01/12/2010 04:59 PM

This thread is going on the right place, I think. Can you propose a narrower topic?

About accent, yes I do believe that it is not important. Look at Indians, they speak English fluently yet still be distinguishable from British and American people.Let's chit-chat in a Fun Way (English YM Club)
spacemanspliff - 01/12/2010 06:20 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By F. Luccava
This thread is going on the right place, I think. Can you propose a narrower topic?

About accent, yes I do believe that it is not important. Look at Indians, they speak English fluently yet still be distinguishable from British and American people.Let's chit-chat in a Fun Way (English YM Club)

I second your statement on the accent.
RadicaL dReameR - 01/12/2010 07:58 PM

Quote:
And the way you talk seems like you immortalise british people.

I never said that Indonesian people should not learn English or their culture, infact I do encourage Indonesians to see the world and broaden up their mindset and value other people's culture without belittling our own culture.

There is one thing to like / learning new culture, but you simply do not go around claiming to have British Accent while you have no direct linkage with British in the first place.

And please don't use that racist card, you don't even know what Racist or discriminate means. You're suggesting I'm racist because I told you you're not British so don't expect to talk like a Brits? Yeah... right...

Well... In the first place I'm not the one who claim, but my English teacher does... From my point of view, you look down on me who speak british but looks like Indonesian... Like people look down alay (kite child) who played classical music... Claiming they are not worthy enough to play classical music... Yeah... Lets debate on it!
AngelicRayment - 01/12/2010 08:53 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By RadicaL dReameR
Well... In the first place I'm not the one who claim, but my English teacher does... From my point of view, you look down on me who speak british but looks like Indonesian... Like people look down alay (kite child) who played classical music... Claiming they are not worthy enough to play classical music... Yeah... Lets debate on it!

I am not.

You speak English, and I must say not bad, quite good.

I do not look down on you because you speak English but looks like Indonesian, I am Indonesian who speaks English, what different does it make between you and me?

All I am saying is.... since you want to improve your English, you should listen to people's advice. And my advice to you is, don't worry about accent, and don't proclaim to have British accent, becasue honestly I bet you don't have them. Even with my English I never dare to claim to have a british accent.

You're still taking it that if you do not speak British accent means bad, actually (for the 100th times I tell you) it is not bad. We are asian, we are born with Asian accent, unless you were raised in Britiain for years which means you have been influenced by British accent for longer than you can remember, than you speak in British Accent.

I never look down on anyone, if that alay kid can play classical than fair play. But if that alay kid doesn't even know what classical music means , and claiming that he plays classical, that is a different thing altogether.

Sorry if you're offended.

You probably would jsut pass it if you're conversing with Indonesian claiming that you have British accent, but if you really go speak with a foreigner and says that you have British accent, they will laugh at you. I'm serious.

Imagine this :

A bule... yang belajar bahasa Indonesia. Masih dalam tahap belajar, belum benar2 sempura. Dan dia berkata : Saya bicara bahasa Indonesia pake logat jakarta. Ngakak gak lo?

Bule, seberapa fasihpun dia berbahasa Indonesia, tetap kedengeran logat negara asalnya sana. Semisal Ari Wibowo yang masih kedengeran sedikit logat luarnya, dan itu bukan dosa, emang udah dari sononya.

Jadi... kalau kamu tersinggung saya bilang logatmu adalah logat asia... ya wuis, apa boleh buat, toh gak ada hubungannya ma saya.
JeunkJuenk - 01/12/2010 08:57 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By danielsihotang
hello..
My name is daniel
My kaskus id is danielsihotang
i have 2 account that i oftenly used
Dafitforever and [email]sihotang.daniel@ymail.com[/email]
Btw,i used gyache,so if i add u guys,i cant write a message,coz theres no way to send message in gyache.or anybody used gyache here,so can give me a help.thxLet's chit-chat in a Fun Way (English YM Club)

I wonder whether you are the Sihotang blogger?
F. Luccava - 02/12/2010 10:32 AM

Quote:
I second your statement on the accent.

Hmm... so what do you think about it?

I don't mean I'm neglecting accent. I think an accent is an identity. So, it is not so important to learn a specific accent. Just stick with yourself, mind a fluent English.
mimimanis - 02/12/2010 03:16 PM
Add me too..
Hello everybody,,
My name is mimi...
I really want to improve my english skill..
Lately, I'm taking english courses but I think that I still need somebody to talk in english directly because I have no friends in my office who have the same interest in english..
so please add me as your chitchat buddy,,
YM: [email]goelali@yahoo.com[/email]

*and please correct me if my english is wrong*
RadicaL dReameR - 02/12/2010 04:06 PM

Quote:
I am not.

You speak English, and I must say not bad, quite good.

I do not look down on you because you speak English but looks like Indonesian, I am Indonesian who speaks English, what different does it make between you and me?

All I am saying is.... since you want to improve your English, you should listen to people's advice. And my advice to you is, don't worry about accent, and don't proclaim to have British accent, becasue honestly I bet you don't have them. Even with my English I never dare to claim to have a british accent.

You're still taking it that if you do not speak British accent means bad, actually (for the 100th times I tell you) it is not bad. We are asian, we are born with Asian accent, unless you were raised in Britiain for years which means you have been influenced by British accent for longer than you can remember, than you speak in British Accent.

I never look down on anyone, if that alay kid can play classical than fair play. But if that alay kid doesn't even know what classical music means , and claiming that he plays classical, that is a different thing altogether.

Sorry if you're offended.

You probably would jsut pass it if you're conversing with Indonesian claiming that you have British accent, but if you really go speak with a foreigner and says that you have British accent, they will laugh at you. I'm serious.

Imagine this :

A bule... yang belajar bahasa Indonesia. Masih dalam tahap belajar, belum benar2 sempura. Dan dia berkata : Saya bicara bahasa Indonesia pake logat jakarta. Ngakak gak lo?

Bule, seberapa fasihpun dia berbahasa Indonesia, tetap kedengeran logat negara asalnya sana. Semisal Ari Wibowo yang masih kedengeran sedikit logat luarnya, dan itu bukan dosa, emang udah dari sononya.

Jadi... kalau kamu tersinggung saya bilang logatmu adalah logat asia... ya wuis, apa boleh buat, toh gak ada hubungannya ma saya.

Have you ever thought why accent exist? Accent is like a spice to conversation... sometimes just hearing batak accent you could get laugh right? That's why I keep speaking in Brit accent so my teacher and my classmate won't get bored!
And again I'm not that kind of person who get humiliated just because other people opinion... I do what I wanna do... I wear dresses which I like... I like white hair so maybe later I would dye my hair white... I don't care if people get laugh about it, as long I like it... It doesn't matter.... :cheers:
AngelicRayment - 02/12/2010 04:40 PM

Quote:
Have you ever thought why accent exist? Accent is like a spice to conversation... sometimes just hearing batak accent you could get laugh right? That's why I keep speaking in Brit accent so my teacher and my classmate won't get bored!
And again I'm not that kind of person who get humiliated just because other people opinion... I do what I wanna do... I wear dresses which I like... I like white hair so maybe later I would dye my hair white... I don't care if people get laugh about it, as long I like it... It doesn't matter.... :cheers:

I'm lost....

well.. i don't get paid for offering advice.

So... whatever rocks your boat mate.

/cheers
pedoe - 02/12/2010 05:56 PM

im not interest 'bout british accent p
spacemanspliff - 02/12/2010 06:33 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By F. Luccava
Hmm... so what do you think about it?

I don't mean I'm neglecting accent. I think an accent is an identity. So, it is not so important to learn a specific accent. Just stick with yourself, mind a fluent English.

Well, I don't think accent should be more prioritized than the properness of the language itself, though I would not claim accent to be much less important. Please read on below for further comment on the use of accent.

Quote:

I actually understand what TS is trying to say; learning to speak with a certain accent could motivate you to learn the language. Make learning more interesting is the key idea - hehe.

Good go TS!

Quote:
I'm lost....

well.. i don't get paid for offering advice.

So... whatever rocks your boat mate.

/cheers

More intensive you are, ehehehehe.

Cheers to you all!

Spaceman
kido123 - 02/12/2010 10:26 PM

Nice to see this forum. Feel free to add my YM ID :frezzaholic97@yahoo.co.id
lotusloops - 03/12/2010 10:23 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By KellyMayonaka
Try omegle gan.

And hope you'll find your chatmate soon.Let's chit-chat in a Fun Way (English YM Club)

Quote:
Hello there,

There is, I believe, a thread that requests your seemingly potential guidance to speak the British tongue; just maybe, you could deliver good tips for the thread starter to, at least, sound like Jude Law, Hugh Grant, or Harry Potter - hehe.

Grande sir!

Quote:
What's with this "British Accent" people keeps on spouting about, correction you don't have British Accent, you have ASIAN Accent like most asian does.

You're under influenced of British English because you tend to spell Can't with an A instead of americanised Can't that spells like Kent.

And another thing is, while it sounds classy and cool to sounds like a British, British accent is not something you can learn if you're born and bred a Brit. It's not like a "bule" can come up and say I have Indonesian accent of English, it's just... plainly speaking wrong.

Besides, asian speaks asian accent, there's nothing wrong and there's nothing to be ashamed off, Good English is a Good English regardless of your accent.

Claiming you have an accent of other people while it is clear that you're not even British will only.... means that you don't grasp the very definition of "Accent"

Quote:
Wondering mate, in need of guidance, please show me the light, and so on; would it be possible for Asian to speak in an accent other than the Asian one? An example would be a dear friend of mine, a Chinese kid who speaks proper English tongue, or a Japanese who sounds very English; the two sound like Englishmen when they speak. Should I categorize their accent to be Asian?

Your explanation would be most appreciated mate.

Sankyuuu!

Quote:
There is British Accent, but those are for the non British who lives abroad or stayed abroad for a very long time.

The thing with British accent is that it is not something you can learn by imitating, trust me when I say try speaking in British accent when you look asian and doesn't even remotely sounds like british will just humiliate you.

We called it Brits wannabe.

So, my advice is just practise clear and precise English, and whatever accent comes along is your identity.

There are many forms of English Accent, notably American, British, but we also have swedish, spanish, german, afrikan, chinese, Singaporean, Japanese accent.

It is the identity of certain race when they speak English.

I believe that 99% of Indonesian thinks that British is the only good accent and it is "OMGWTFSUPERKEWL" to be able to speak in pure British Accent, but let me tell you that unless you're born British or raised there, you will never be able to master the British accent.

So before you bother about accent, please just pay attention on getting your English correct first and foremost, your accent will come naturally as you go along.

There's no point worrying about "BRITISH ACCENT" when one can not even form a simple grammatically correct sentences.

Just like BULE will never be able to speak Javanese in a real Javanese accent, don't expect ourself to be British, because we're not. Unless that Bule was born / raised in Java then perhaps he can have that javenese accent.

Quote:
well then... how could you explain about the actor whom not raised nor born in england, but to fulfill the role he/she was given then imitates the englishman... their way of speaking could manipulate people mind and suggesting they are from england!

Cheers! beer:

Quote:
Oh... wait, you forget one thing... that most of the actor you mentioned does have English as their first language. Doh! It is possible for example Indonesian to speak and sounds like Malaysian, with a proper adding of vocabulary and training, just like in the movies where you can pretend to be someone you're not for a short amount of time where the scene is being taken.

Look, if you don't believe me. go watch British actors you mentioned above, and after that, go talk to the man in the mirror and tell me that the man in the mirror is speaking in British accent.

British Accent is overrated, stop getting obsessed with it. Trying to sounds British will only make your English sounds weird.

Quote:
Original Posted By The2ndHeir
Also, they're ACTOR in movie. It means that they can retake their scenes/dialog over and over again until they sound like a proper Englishman

Quote:
The way you talk implies that Indonesian people should stick singing dangdut because its their root music. Indonesian people who admired brit pop or jazz should not even consider about make ends meet through those music... Thats is simply sounded... racist/discriminate...

Quote:
And the way you talk seems like you immortalise british people.

I never said that Indonesian people should not learn English or their culture, infact I do encourage Indonesians to see the world and broaden up their mindset and value other people's culture without belittling our own culture.

There is one thing to like / learning new culture, but you simply do not go around claiming to have British Accent while you have no direct linkage with British in the first place.

And please don't use that racist card, you don't even know what Racist or discriminate means. You're suggesting I'm racist because I told you you're not British so don't expect to talk like a Brits? Yeah... right...

Quote:
Dearest friends,

I see this thread is slowly turning into an ugly debating forum [my apology for the little exaggeration], hehe. I had a little chit chat with TS, motivated to place a challenge towards his claiming to speak the "Jude Law" English; but, instead of finding a complete twat, I found a friendly fella who aimed to just improve his English by getting a community together.

He might have foolishly posted, and delivered such potentially wrong impression about his effort to improve his English [yes, I could not agree more]; however, I believe the existence of our forum here would have a great impact on learners like TS to develop his personal linguistic skill, and it would be a defined moral task for your [or others'] fluency to provide good guidance within the good intention to be a part of the forum.

I hope this post carries a valuable understanding for all.

Cheers!

Spaceman

First of all... Please stop chit chat in my thread p hahahahahha... PLEASEEEEEE...! with all the respects... chat in YM please... I only chat with hydana and dewiq_betrayal where are the others??? bingungs

Quote:
TS, in my opinion after 15 minutes or so of direct conversation experience, is a friendly fella who tries to start an English club in his campus. Please contact him should any of you live around Bintaro, TS is studying at STP Trisakti. TS aims to improve his English skill, together with others who share the same good interest.

Grande!

ehm... em... err.... uh.... emm...
I really really... SPEECHLESS seeing this comment...
first,
i Don't have any IDEA who are you talking about... SERIOUSLY dude!!!
I live at Bintaro. BUT first of all, I'm a WOMAN (Pauline... does this name ring a bell for you???)
now i really need some confirmation, with whom did you speak?? ngakak
AFAIK, I was a girl, and now I am a woman, and I'm planning to be a granny in the next 30 years from now ngakak

Quote:
Original Posted By el_stup1do
You can check the existing chat club over here:
https://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?t=4647278

this also pretty funny stu... hammer: well what a surprise... it goes back to the first page of this thread hammer:
ngakak
seriously, I'm pretty enjoyed with the English Hall of Shame ngakak
RadicaL dReameR - 05/12/2010 06:09 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By lotusloops

First of all... Please stop chit chat in my thread p hahahahahha... PLEASEEEEEE...! with all the respects... chat in YM please... I only chat with hydana and dewiq_betrayal where are the others??? bingungs

ehm... em... err.... uh.... emm...
I really really... SPEECHLESS seeing this comment...
first,
i Don't have any IDEA who are you talking about... SERIOUSLY dude!!!
I live at Bintaro. BUT first of all, I'm a WOMAN (Pauline... does this name ring a bell for you???)
now i really need some confirmation, with whom did you speak?? ngakak
AFAIK, I was a girl, and now I am a woman, and I'm planning to be a granny in the next 30 years from now ngakak

this also pretty funny stu... hammer: well what a surprise... it goes back to the first page of this thread hammer:
ngakak
seriously, I'm pretty enjoyed with the English Hall of Shame ngakak

well Pauline... its my turn to laugh at you... if you give a bother to try to think about it... its obvious those posts is another thread that had been cut and paste into yours... and spaceman is not referring you... but me...

hehehehe... thanks to you pauline, I have a good laugh today...

hiahahahahaha....
DENNYKNOXX - 06/12/2010 03:11 PM

hi all kaskuser,

I'm Denny. I am very like speak englsh. Please contact me if you want to chatt in english at denny_knoxx99
Page 18 of 54 | ‹ First  < 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > Fun with English > Let's chit-chat in a Fun Way (English YM Club)