English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > E-BOOKS Best Novel at your fingertip
Total Views: 1835 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 2 of 2 |  < 1 2

nautilus_001 - 12/08/2010 10:23 AM

there, there...no need to argue...:Peace

@feli: tq for reminding us, but not all of us has the money to buy such novels...(*me included..DD)

@pinked: have you read vampire academy sis? I heard it's nice...beer:
Olli3 - 12/08/2010 01:36 PM

Oh, I never thought there would be an argument about the e-book sharing over here. Well, that's a first. D

Hmm I think the ones I've shared so far go to download pages and not the files themselves, so the last time I checked everywhere, including this forum and IDWS, that was okay (cmiiw).

Yes, I've been downloading e-books but I also buy hard copies. No matter what, having an actual book in your hand is so much better than reading an electronic one. Sure thing I ain't going to spend Rp. 300-400rb for a 10 dollar book though. But if they are on sale, sure I'll grab them right away. That's problem numero uno, problem number two, there's not much of a selection in English novels over here, hence downloading the e-book versions. Besides, if you notice, more and more free e-books deliberately make typos, which I think an effort to dodge all the legal stuff perhaps? *shrugs*

Anyway, I do not want to prolong the argument and therefore, I will not share links any longer. I may still post synopses and recommendations if this thread is still open for that. Should you want to look for the e-books I've recommended, i.e. Mediafire links, try typing this magic spell on Google. "site: mediafire the-name-of-the-book"

I may post a link if the book is in public domain though.

Tootles....\)
Fela Kuti - 12/08/2010 02:00 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Olli3
Besides, if you notice, more and more free e-books deliberately make typos, which I think an effort to dodge all the legal stuff perhaps? *shrugs*

IMO it's because of software errors in the conversion process D

well, my main problem with sharing links to pirated works is that it might prevent people from buying the works. for example, for every link posted on a webpage, there's 5 people who cancels their plan to buy that particular work. if the book's price is rp50,000, that means rp250,000 loss of revenue for the publisher. and that is from one webpage alone. god knows how many local webpages that share pirated works. so yeah, try putting yourself in the publishers' and authors' shoes D

Olli3, I'm glad you took that decision.
p1nk3d_books - 15/08/2010 08:27 PM

The Hunger Games was good! thumbup: thumbup: thumbup:
Very recommended.
Even though reading it will make you kinda gloomy E-BOOKS Best Novel at your fingertip
Olli3 - 15/08/2010 10:35 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
The Hunger Games was good! thumbup: thumbup: thumbup:
Very recommended.
Even though reading it will make you kinda gloomy E-BOOKS Best Novel at your fingertip

I know right....cool: Catching Fire is awesome too! Can't wait for the third one to come out in two weeks! Looks like I'm gonna buy the whole collection later.

Peeta...so sweet. oE-BOOKS Best Novel at your fingertip
Olli3 - 16/08/2010 12:14 PM

It's classic, yes but it's one of my favorites and one of world's best-selling books of all times.

THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY (Oscar Wilde)

E-BOOKS Best Novel at your fingertip

Spoiler for Synopsis

Spellbound before his own portrait, Dorian Gray utters a fateful wish. In exchange for eternal youth he gives his soul, to be corrupted by the malign influence of his mentor, the aesthete and hedonist Lord Henry Wotton. Encouraged by Lord Henry to substitute pleasure for goodness and art for reality, Dorian tries to watch impassively as he brings misery and death to those who love him.

[code]
To read online:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray

*Public Domain*
[/code]

*Notes:
-There are two versions and all available to public in the link I've provided
-May require dictionary in hand
-Recommended for: Young-Adult to Adult
Olli3 - 17/08/2010 01:21 PM

PERCY JACKSON & THE OLYMPIANS SERIES (Rick Riordan)

E-BOOKS Best Novel at your fingertip

BOOK #1 - THE LIGHTNING THIEF

Spoiler for Synopsis

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief.

BOOK #2 - THE SEA OF MONSTERS

Spoiler for Synopsis

After a summer spent trying to prevent a catastrophic war among the Greek gods, Percy Jackson is finding his seventh-grade school year unnervingly quiet. His biggest problem is dealing with his new friend, Tyson, a six-foot-three, mentally challenged homeless kid who follows Percy everywhere, making it hard for Percy to have any normal friends. But things don't stay quiet for long.

Percy soon discovers there is trouble at Camp Half-Blood: the magical borders that protect Half-Blood Hill have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and the only safe haven for demigods is on the verge of being overrun by mythological monsters.

BOOK #3 - THE TITAN'S CURSE

Spoiler for Synopsis

When the goddess Artemis goes missing, she is believed to have been kidnapped. And now it's up to Percy and his friends to find out what happened. Who is powerful enough to kidnap a goddess?

They must find Artemis before the winter solstice, when her influence on the Olympian Council could swing an important vote on the war with the Titans. Not only that, but first Percy will have to solve the mystery of a rare monster that Artemis was hunting when she disappeared -- a monster rumored to be so powerful it could destroy Olympus forever.

BOOK #4 - THE BATTLE OF THE LABYRINTH

Spoiler for Synopsis

Percy, Annabeth and the satyr Grover furiously working to prevent former camp counselor Luke from resurrecting the Titan lord Kronos, whose goal is to overthrow the gods. When the heroes learn that Luke can breach Camp Half-Blood's security through an exit from Daedalus's Labyrinth, they enter the maze in search of the inventor and a way to stop the invasion.

In addition to trying to keep the existence of Western Civilization, Percy, who is nearly 15, finds himself having girl trouble. Fully unaware at first, he now has become something of a chick magnet.

BOOK #5 - THE LAST OLYMPIAN

Spoiler for Synopsis

All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of a victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows.

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.

*Notes:
- Sorry, can't provide the links but they shouldn't be that difficult to find.
- Definitely a bit different from the movie.
- Recommended for: 10+, those who like Greek Mythology
doblehksp - 25/08/2010 02:51 AM

@TS
why dont you just write the summaries here..
as for the download links... someone who want it for free should work a little hard to get it.. though, im recommending the same as what agan bhre_Z posted:

Quote:
Original Posted By bhre_Z
Check this thread: [share] koleksi novel digital by bro Mudzy.
There are A LOT of novel e-books there!!
rifkiarissandi - 31/08/2010 06:12 PM
pliss help me
I need a novel "Call me by your Name by Andre Aciman" plis inform when you all hev this book and I am going to buy it.. I need for my thesis.
Olli3 - 02/09/2010 10:37 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By rifkiarissandi
I need a novel "Call me by your Name by Andre Aciman" plis inform when you all hev this book and I am going to buy it.. I need for my thesis.

Have you tried Periplus, TGA, or Gramedia?

If you can't find it there then Amazon.com is your best bet.
QCreation - 19/09/2010 09:30 PM

we're quite similar p!NK3D books. I do love reading chicklit so much. I read all Shophie's series and others author, but Sophie is always my favorite!! \)

for TS, thanks for sharing :thumbup
Xynder - 22/09/2010 01:39 AM

well well, what do I find here D

I'm currently one of the "Donator" in Mudzy English Ebook thread. since I think sharing English book is a bit more...appropriate...in an English literature forum. so here I am \)

Indeed, Fela argument does have its own merit. but then again, sharing has been a gray area for so many years, its the same case as fans sub japanese animation. it is not entirely legal, but since the developer have no reach outside of japan, the only people that can enforce the copyright is the distributor/copyright holder, which I think would never really gonna open their office in Indonesia.

I'm not here to place blame, just want to suggest that when the book is available in Indonesia (whether they are translated or written by Indonesian), do buy them if you like the book \)

as you ladies seems to love chicklit, I'm afraid I cannot provide any suggestion p

for Olli3, if your phone can only read epub. do check the freeware conversion software called calibre. they are quite handy and can help you quite handily D
Olli3 - 25/09/2010 10:41 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Xynder

for Olli3, if your phone can only read epub. do check the freeware conversion software called calibre. they are quite handy and can help you quite handily D

Downloaded it a month ago. D

Yup! Love that software!
eakits - 18/11/2010 12:10 PM

i cant speak english well \(
Page 2 of 2 |  < 1 2
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > E-BOOKS Best Novel at your fingertip