English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 14 of 42 | ‹ First  < 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >  Last ›

adindra2 - 31/03/2011 07:36 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan
First, you set a date to take the pre-test by yourself.
Let's say, 1st April ... use the IBT Software from any publisher u like/have,
the result of your pre-test then will serve as starting point.

Go study intensively (either with a book or join a prep course) for several months maybe three to six months?

retake the test using the software mention earlier ... the purpose is clear which is to see whether you can apply strategies/tricks that u've got from the book/prep course ...

if you're satisfy with the score ... you can jump in to the real test...
otherwise ... take another two or three tests ... so you can compare your performance after several tests

good luck ilovekaskus iloveindonesia

I've heard you can find one in PASCAL (PatraJasa Building 9th floor) Gatot Subroto

and you can also check EEC sites
http://www.eec.co.id/gre.html

kalo pake software ga bisa dinilai kn sesi speaking & writingnya gan?
thx bro penjelasannya:2thumbup
ivandjaw - 02/04/2011 02:35 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By winzer
Hi ALL, wanna ask a good GRE Preparation course in Jakarta.. you know some good institutions that have that kind of programs?

Thank you so much!

GRE? Good luck mate!

I suggest you to prepare it hard. Try some good and reputable GRE preparation books such as Kaplan or Princeton review.

Furthermore, GRE is much harder (when i say much harder, it is really much much harder) than TOEFL.

Study hard!!
ivandjaw - 02/04/2011 02:39 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By adindra2
kalo pake software ga bisa dinilai kn sesi speaking & writingnya gan?
thx bro penjelasannya:2thumbup

yes, you are right.

for speaking, try to speak in front of a mirror, and try to listen what you are saying while speaking. Trust me this method works! After you are ready, try to ask one of your friends (who has a good in English skill) to listen. Nevertheless, the basic things in TOEFL speaking section is to speak clearly and cohesively. Speaking fast without any direction won't help.

for writing, just make sure than you don't make any basic grammar errors. You must understand the basic principal of constructing a paragraph. Learn how to connect each of the idea in the paragraph using the appropriate words. Fancy words may work but it won't really help if your basic grammar or sentence structure is poor.

Good luck ilovekaskus
mrnobody2011 - 02/04/2011 09:28 PM
do not study at EF pondok indah!!!
I want to warn all possible students about EF pondok indah.
DO NOT STUDY THERE!!!!
Most of the teachers are not even qualified to teach. Most of the time all they do is play games or watch movies with their students. Of course, the student love this because they do not have to work - but think about all the money you are paying for an EF course.
I know this because I worked there for 3 years!

PLEASE, find a better school, like TBI (the british institute) - do some research. There are other schools out there. Do not go to PI just because ada banyak bule disana!
Thank u
mrnobody2011 - 02/04/2011 09:56 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By luckc1ous
Hi kaskuser, so today afternoon i just did my placement test in EF
FYI. My age 25 -- and i get level 10 in placement test ?
I just wonder about few things

First.
Level 10 in EF is it still beginner or intermediate or ...

Hi, actually level 10 is upper intermediate - at that level you should have knowledge of, and be able to use most of the english verb forms from present simple to continuous and perfect forms. You should also be aware of word order and how to form questions correctly.
While your english is very good, I did notice some very basic errors. Sales staff at EF will tell u anything just to get u to sign up - after all, what they want is your money.
I would advise checking out some of the other schools in the area - Direct English, TBI, Wall Street - see how their courses compare to EF.
I was an EF teacher for 3 years and I saw firsthand that most students do not progress in their english language learning there.
Kuntarini - 03/04/2011 07:26 PM

Hi there,

I have to take IBT TOEFL test next week and I haven't done any practice yet \( I've got to get 100 at the least, while I got only 97 after a month of practice 2 years ago, and now I don't do any practice yet \(

Could any body here share free download Listening and Speaking from expired ETS tests? I guess it won't break the copy right as they have been expired.

I really appreciate your help \)
Kuntarini - 03/04/2011 07:47 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By ivandjaw
yes, you are right.

for speaking, try to speak in front of a mirror, and try to listen what you are saying while speaking. Trust me this method works! After you are ready, try to ask one of your friends (who has a good in English skill) to listen. Nevertheless, the basic things in TOEFL speaking section is to speak clearly and cohesively. Speaking fast without any direction won't help.

for writing, just make sure than you don't make any basic grammar errors. You must understand the basic principal of constructing a paragraph. Learn how to connect each of the idea in the paragraph using the appropriate words. Fancy words may work but it won't really help if your basic grammar or sentence structure is poor.

Good luck ilovekaskus

I notice that accent plays quite dominant role in the scoring. My pronounciation is comprehensible and my answers were quite good - I followed the tips & guidelines from ETS book on how to give answers in IBT TOEFL speaking test - yet my score wasn't good as my accent is quite thick and I notice it affected the scoring.

Not intent to discourage, but those who are planning to take IBT TOEFL had better prepare to brush up their accent.
ivandjaw - 03/04/2011 10:30 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Kuntarini
I notice that accent plays quite dominant role in the scoring. My pronounciation is comprehensible and my answers were quite good - I followed the tips & guidelines from ETS book on how to give answers in IBT TOEFL speaking test - yet my score wasn't good as my accent is quite thick and I notice it affected the scoring.

Not intent to discourage, but those who are planning to take IBT TOEFL had better prepare to brush up their accent.

Well, accent may have some effect but I don't think it will be the major factor. I think it's more on pronunciation, I mean make sure you are speaking the right way. This is true though because I believe that I have an Indonesian accent (well, if your mother tongue is not english and you hardly use it during your daily life until you graduate from your senior high school, i'm quite sure that you can't really help to change your accent), however I manage to score >25 more my speaking which personally surprised me as well.

Just like what I have mentioned, make sure you speak clearly and cohesively. Don't try to use some fancy words unless you are sure how to pronounce it correctly.

Last but not least, just be confident and since you need to get at least 100, try to work on your reading, listening and writing as these sections are somewhat easier to be handled and you can have some feeling whether you are doing well whereas this is not the case for speaking since it will be heavily depends on the person that mark your speaking later.

Good luck iloveindonesia
ivandjaw - 03/04/2011 10:35 PM

Quote:
Hi there,

I have to take IBT TOEFL test next week and I haven't done any practice yet \( I've got to get 100 at the least, while I got only 97 after a month of practice 2 years ago, and now I don't do any practice yet \(

Could any body here share free download Listening and Speaking from expired ETS tests? I guess it won't break the copy right as they have been expired.

I really appreciate your help \)

there are a few publishers who offer these set of speaking and listening questions. one of them is longm*n. you can buy their toefl ibt preparation book to get that atau "lu bisa cari di dunia maya untuk versi pak taninya". i believe there are a lot of resources regarding this matter out there in the internet, try to locate it yourself \)
Kuntarini - 04/04/2011 12:41 AM

Quote:
Well, accent may have some effect but I don't think it will be the major factor. I think it's more on pronunciation, I mean make sure you are speaking the right way. This is true though because I believe that I have an Indonesian accent (well, if your mother tongue is not english and you hardly use it during your daily life until you graduate from your senior high school, i'm quite sure that you can't really help to change your accent), however I manage to score >25 more my speaking which personally surprised me as well.

Just like what I have mentioned, make sure you speak clearly and cohesively. Don't try to use some fancy words unless you are sure how to pronounce it correctly.

Last but not least, just be confident and since you need to get at least 100, try to work on your reading, listening and writing as these sections are somewhat easier to be handled and you can have some feeling whether you are doing well whereas this is not the case for speaking since it will be heavily depends on the person that mark your speaking later.

Good luck iloveindonesia

I used to think that way, but what had happened is a surprising fact.
I am using English in daily conversation so pronounciation is not an issue, but somehow I found out apparently accent affects at least 1/4 of the scoring. And I am positive that I didnt blabber in speaking. I did table scoring in speaking IBT TOEFL practice, so I had ingrained the idea and the skill of speaking systhematically required before the test.

My intention to post my finding here is not to discourage members, but for members to brush up their pronounciation all the way up - nearly to the brink of accent - before taking IBT

I bring up this issue particularly that's surprising discovery, thing that bites. There's subjectivity somehow taking place in scoring the speaking, and it is understandable and unavoidable. As in any other institutions, Speaking part is scored by 1-3 assessors indepedently, and the score we got is the average from their scoring results. Well, subjectivity takes place and that's humane.
Kuntarini - 04/04/2011 12:48 AM

Quote:
there are a few publishers who offer these set of speaking and listening questions. one of them is longm*n. you can buy their toefl ibt preparation book to get that atau "lu bisa cari di dunia maya untuk versi pak taninya". i believe there are a lot of resources regarding this matter out there in the internet, try to locate it yourself \)

I dont have time to buy and that's why I prefer downloaded one. ETS downloaded materials are crazily expensive, and I have browsed through hours for the Pak tani versions. Had I found the URL, I wouldn't ask for help here. Thanks for the 'nice' help of "try to locate it yourself". It's the exclamation of 'reinventing the wheel'.
Evangeline - 04/04/2011 01:16 AM

well, I hate to ruin all the fun here but is it proper to talk shit about some institutions like this? IDTS!

English schools aren't exactly a magic school which can put jinxes so that the students can master English instantly in like, 24 hours... so wherever and whatever the institution is, you can always improve as long as you have the desire to study.

and TS: think you can always ask the EF PR cuz I saw the person (don't know if the person is a he or a she) has got a kaskus id... nohope:
ivandjaw - 04/04/2011 01:46 AM

Quote:
I dont have time to buy and that's why I prefer downloaded one. ETS downloaded materials are crazily expensive, and I have browsed through hours for the Pak tani versions. Had I found the URL, I wouldn't ask for help here. Thanks for the 'nice' help of "try to locate it yourself". It's the exclamation of 'reinventing the wheel'.

lol, send me your email to my private message, i'll send you my "pak tani" software.
adindra2 - 04/04/2011 12:02 PM

nice information from agan Kuntarini & ivandjaw!
thx so much.
I bet your english skill is really expert!
ilovekaskus
rahan - 05/04/2011 09:07 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By mrnobody2011
DO NOT STUDY THERE!!!!
Most of the teachers are not even qualified to teach. Most of the time all they do is play games or watch movies with their students. Of course, the student love this because they do not have to work - but think about all the money you are paying for an EF course.

PLEASE, find a better school, like TBI (the british institute) - do some research. There are other schools out there. Do not go to PI just because ada banyak bule disana!
Thank u

@mr.nobody = i hope this doesn't sound as disagreement or critics. please don't compare something like that. Even if the slightest bit of your statement is true, it is just not the purpose of this thread. You aren't supposed to mention the name of specific institution, publicly criticizing it in a rather harsh way in public area. Maybe the case is different if there's one of your friend asking for your recommendation of an English course. Still you can share it maybe using another perspective for example using question like: What do you think the best way to teach English to kids? etc ... However, please share more about teaching and testing standards. You must have a load of good things to share with us ...

Quote:
Original Posted By Evangeline
well, I hate to ruin all the fun here but is it proper to talk shit about some institutions like this? IDTS!

English schools aren't exactly a magic school which can put jinxes so that the students can master English instantly in like, 24 hours... so wherever and whatever the institution is, you can always improve as long as you have the desire to study.

and TS: think you can always ask the EF PR cuz I saw the person (don't know if the person is a he or a she) has got a kaskus id... nohope:

English schools aren't exactly a magic school which can put jinxes so that ..

agreed beer:
we are not here to talk shit about institutions, but if you are referring to mrnobody's post, i think what he/she criticized is the way of teaching (playing games and watching movie) which he/she thinks as 'useless or ineffective'.

Quote:
lol, send me your email to my private message, i'll send you my "pak tani" software.

Quote:
Original Posted By adindra2
nice information from agan Kuntarini & ivandjaw!
thx so much.
I bet your english skill is really expert!
ilovekaskus

so agree with bro adindra2
kuntarini and ivandjaw .. nice share! olala.. keep it coming.

Quote:

Good luck iloveindonesia

ilovekaskus iloveindonesia
aSAPlover - 06/04/2011 01:11 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By KLanese

Quote:
Original Posted By aSAPlover
hi everyone,

When I signed up an IBT TOEFL Test via ETS website, they explained that
I may designate up to four institutions to receive my score reports.

question:
In case I haven't had any universities to apply for, then is it possible
for me to receive all of those additional score reports?

Thanks

Yes, gan aSAPlover. Just select the "Add Unlisted Recipient Score" and then use your father/mother/siblings' name as the recipient. The address is your original address. Repeat the step for four times if you wish to have four of them sent to your address.

Have u ever tried that?

I've tried ur suggestion 2 times... but I could only add two recipients whose the same address as mine.

It means I will only get three reports instead of 5 rpts

Have a look the following error message I got:
The Unlisted Score Recipient you have entered is invalid. To add this recipient to your order, please contact a Customer Service Representative. If you are calling from the U.S., a U.S. Territory, or Canada, the number is: 1-877-863-3546. For all other locations, call: 1-609-771-7100.
KLanese - 06/04/2011 02:31 PM

Quote:
Have u ever tried that?

I've tried ur suggestion 2 times... but I could only add two recipients whose the same address as mine.

The Unlisted Score Recipient you have entered is invalid. To add this recipient to your order, please contact a Customer Service Representative. If you are calling from the U.S., a U.S. Territory, or Canada, the number is: 1-877-863-3546. For all other locations, call: 1-609-771-7100.

The server at that time was a bit busy and the free printed original scores are just 4 gan, not 5.
KLanese - 06/04/2011 02:45 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By mrnobody2011
DO NOT STUDY THERE!!!!

Thank u

Quote:
Original Posted By Evangeline

well I guess mr nobody has got a negative sentiment or sturdy disappointment for he has ever been a teacher there. It should have been an OTT discussion put on here. Just ignore it, I'll work on setting up the rules of posting anyway later on. Thanks Evangeline shakehand
aSAPlover - 07/04/2011 06:36 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By KLanese

Quote:
Have u ever tried that?

The server at that time was a bit busy and the free printed original scores are just 4 gan, not 5.

The system was indeed fine. No disturbances whatsoever...

There are 5 free reports in total:
1 for the examinee
4 for additional recipients

fyi,
In the first place, I called IIEF office asking about how to add additional recipients whose address/city are the same as mine. They just explained that I couldnt do it. full stop.

Then I asked this matter in this thread in case someone like you has similar experiences... and fortunately u did explain the trick.

----

btw, I just knew the reason why the system refused my request.
I found the reason by trial and error.

Their system will refuse any additional recipients whenever the recipient's
first name is the same as the examinee's first name.

The next question is why they (ETS) do not mention anything regarding this rule??

anyway, ...now I can add 4 additional recipients eventually \)

KLanese, Thanks... ;)
KLanese - 08/04/2011 10:45 AM

Quote:
The system was indeed fine. No disturbances whatsoever...

There are 5 free reports in total:
1 for the examinee
4 for additional recipients

fyi,
In the first place, I called IIEF office asking about how to add additional recipients whose address/city are the same as mine. They just explained that I couldnt do it. full stop.

Then I asked this matter in this thread in case someone like you has similar experiences... and fortunately u did explain the trick.

----

btw, I just knew the reason why the system refused my request.
I found the reason by trial and error.

Their system will refuse any additional recipients whenever the recipient's
first name is the same as the examinee's first name.

The next question is why they (ETS) do not mention anything regarding this rule??

anyway, ...now I can add 4 additional recipients eventually \)

KLanese, Thanks... ;)

my pleasure, glad to hear it worked at last beer:
Page 14 of 42 | ‹ First  < 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]