English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 16 of 42 | ‹ First  < 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >  Last ›

sasamakan - 25/04/2011 06:41 PM

I just apply for an IELTS prep course on IALF
I need the IELTS score because switzerland embassy need it. They want me to get at least 6 on the test.
The problem is, I have lots of problem on my grammar \(. And grammar is very important in Writing. I hope I can improve my writing for 3 weeks from now.
But when I take an IELTS try out on Le Meridien, I get a high score from Listening. I hope it can help a lot
ivandjaw - 25/04/2011 09:05 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By sasamakan
I just apply for an IELTS prep course on IALF
I need the IELTS score because switzerland embassy need it. They want me to get at least 6 on the test.
The problem is, I have lots of problem on my grammar \(. And grammar is very important in Writing. I hope I can improve my writing for 3 weeks from now.
But when I take an IELTS try out on Le Meridien, I get a high score from Listening. I hope it can help a lot

Indeed from what you wrote here, one can tell that you have some problems in grammar. The key is to drill you grammar and 3 weeks will be just nice to have enough intensive exercises for grammar. Although you score well in your listening, people will usually tend to look the overall score and if one the score stands out very much more than the other (both positively and negatively), that may mean something is extremely right / wrong with your English.

I'll try to correct your sentence, my grammar may not be 100% correct:
"I just applied for an IELTS prep course at IALF.
I need to take IELTS in order to study in Switzerland(I assume the embassy need it because it is a requirement set by the school?). The minimum required score is 6.
My main concern is grammar as I have a lot of problem dealing with it, whereas it is very important in writing. I hope I can improve my writing in the next 3 weeks.
When I took the IELTS test try out at Le Meridien Hotel (I assume you took it in the past, didn't you?), I manage to get high listening score. I hope it can help me."

You made some basic grammar errors, my advise for you is to review your grammar extensively as these basic grammar errors may cause you some serious problems. The general english speakers will accept some grammar errors for complex sentences, but they hardly tolerate basic grammar errors especially as much as what you have done.

Nevertheless, french language is used a lot in Switzerland. Vous parlez francais? Si vous ne parlez pas francais, vous devez etude francais aussi.

All the best!! ilovekaskus
ivandjaw - 25/04/2011 09:09 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By torres_oyoy
hey, im nubie here o
i wanna ask some questions regarding toefl..
ive read the 1st page,
assuming toefl international is the real toefl, and im planning to take a scholarship, so CMIIW i must take the toefl international instead of prediction/institutional..

since i live in jakarta, where can i get that test? if i need to apply for scholarship, which one would be proper, PBT, CBT, or IBT or would it be worth IELTS? if both TOEFL/IELTS are allowed

thanks in advance

Hi! Welcome! The international TOEFL is the "real" TOEFL and the only TOEFL score accepted by higher institution worldwide is provided by ETS. You can register for the test directly from the website where you can select Jakarta as your test center, otherwise you can come to Menara Imperium (CMIIW) to register for the test. You can find ETS' Indonesia representative office/partner from their website. AFAIK, PBT and CBT are not offered in Indonesia anymore since IBT is launched.

IELTS or TOEFL will depends on which institution you are applying to and their requirements. Please make sure you read through their requirements carefully, if both are allowed, it really depends on you. I have taken TOEFL test before but I have never taken IELTS test. In my opinion TOEFL is manageable and you can definitely score if you prepare yourself well.

All the best for your scholarship! ilovekaskus
sasamakan - 25/04/2011 09:20 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By ivandjaw
Indeed from what you wrote here, one can tell that you have some problems in grammar. The key is to drill you grammar and 3 weeks will be just nice to have enough intensive exercises for grammar. Although you score well in your listening, people will usually tend to look the overall score and if one the score stands out very much more than the other (both positively and negatively), that may mean something is extremely right / wrong with your English.

I'll try to correct your sentence, my grammar may not be 100% correct:
"I just applied for an IELTS prep course at IALF.
I need to take IELTS in order to study in Switzerland(I assume the embassy need it because it is a requirement set by the school?). The minimum required score is 6.
My main concern is grammar as I have a lot of problem dealing with it, whereas it is very important in writing. I hope I can improve my writing in the next 3 weeks.
When I took the IELTS test try out at Le Meridien Hotel (I assume you took it in the past, didn't you?), I manage to get high listening score. I hope it can help me."

You made some basic grammar errors, my advise for you is to review your grammar extensively as these basic grammar errors may cause you some serious problems. The general english speakers will accept some grammar errors for complex sentences, but they hardly tolerate basic grammar errors especially as much as what you have done.

Nevertheless, french language is used a lot in Switzerland. Vous parlez francais? Vous devez etude francais aussi.

All the best!! ilovekaskus

I don't know how to put the "grammar" into the sentence hammer:\(
I hope I can improve my grammar, I hope so malu:.

(Since I learn German, I have problem with my english, specially in Grammar and Writing \()
ivandjaw - 25/04/2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

(Since I learn German, I have problem with my english, specially in Grammar and Writing \()

That's why you must do a lot of exercises to improve your grammar. You can do that if you try & study hard, that's the key point.

I never learn Deutsch thus I don't know how does it work, however this excuse won't be acceptable at all if I were your examiner.
prince.kaskus - 26/04/2011 02:26 AM

Quote:
That's why you must do a lot of exercises to improve your grammar. You can do that if you try & study hard, that's the key point.

I never learn Deutsch thus I don't know how does it work, however this excuse won't be acceptable at all if I were your examiner.

hallo ivan
it is bit surprising moment to meet you here ;)

i want to learn and practise english here,ts, ivan n all please:feel free to help me malu:
Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
ivandjaw - 26/04/2011 06:28 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By prince.kaskus
hallo ivan
it is bit surprising moment to meet you here ;)

i want to learn and practise english here,ts, ivan n all please:feel free to help me malu:

Hi there prince! Do I know you? Sure, but this area is deemed for TOEFL discussion, you can learn and practice your English in the other area of the sub-forum.
prince.kaskus - 26/04/2011 08:47 AM

Quote:
Hi there prince! Do I know you? Sure, but this area is deemed for TOEFL discussion, you can learn and practice your English in the other area of the sub-forum.

not at real lol hammers

you ever give me cendol when i was selling airplane ticketing, anyway i want to improve my toefl, toeic and ielts too D
ivandjaw - 26/04/2011 11:17 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By prince.kaskus
not at real lol hammers

you ever give me cendol when i was selling airplane ticketing, anyway i want to improve my toefl, toeic and ielts too D

I see, now I can recall after you mentioned about me giving you "cendol".

That's great, you can ask anything in order to improve your TOEFL, or IELTS score here. Feel free to ask and I am sure there are others who are willing to help as well.
KLanese - 26/04/2011 04:48 PM

Thank you guys for being so active on helping each other through this thread. You guys are indeed marvelous! beer:
kamprettboys22 - 26/04/2011 10:06 PM

I want to ask you about TOEFL iBT certificate.
I have taken the test on 9 April 2011, and I have got my scores and I can see it in my toefl ibt account, and soon I must send the toefl certificate to a foreign university, but I don't know which one is my certificate, when and how I get the certificate and my certificate will be sent by E-mail or standard mail?

thanks, i hope you can help me
vamos - 26/04/2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Learning two languages at the same time is not very recommended, gan. Deutsch and English are two languages that completely different in structure. You may easily get confused when you are trying either to speak or write in both.

The best suggestion is to put one as your priority beside another. For instance, if you need to do the IELTS test soon, then you should put a bit more attention practicing your English.

Peace: Peace:
ivandjaw - 27/04/2011 02:25 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By kamprettboys22
I want to ask you about TOEFL iBT certificate.
I have taken the test on 9 April 2011, and I have got my scores and I can see it in my toefl ibt account, and soon I must send the toefl certificate to a foreign university, but I don't know which one is my certificate, when and how I get the certificate and my certificate will be sent by E-mail or standard mail?

thanks, i hope you can help me

You can order ETS to send it directly to the university because AFAIK university want the score directly from the test provider (ETS) and not the test taker (you). Of course you will need to pay for ETS to send the score to the university you are applying to. Nonetheless ETS will send you a printed certificate of your TOEFL test result directly to your postal address. You can always ask your university if they accept this certificate, and if they do, just scan this certificate, and send it to them through email as the cost of sending TOEFL result to a university is not cheap.

Hope it helps.
loan2127 - 28/04/2011 12:43 PM

This question may sound cliche, but I am desperate enough to find out the best way to improve my TOEFL score.
Last time i took TOEFL was an ITP TOEFL on June 2010 and I only got 577. Due to university's requirement, I was suggested to take iBT TOEFL and I realize that it is much more difficult than ITP ones.

Any suggestions, what should I do so I can get score 90 or higher? Which book suites best to my level? I won't take any courses anyway because they are way too expensive \(
Thanks in advance.
ivandjaw - 28/04/2011 05:19 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By loan2127
This question may sound cliche, but I am desperate enough to find out the best way to improve my TOEFL score.
Last time i took TOEFL was an ITP TOEFL on June 2010 and I only got 577. Due to university's requirement, I was suggested to take iBT TOEFL and I realize that it is much more difficult than ITP ones.

Any suggestions, what should I do so I can get score 90 or higher? Which book suites best to my level? I won't take any courses anyway because they are way too expensive \(
Thanks in advance.

You do not need to burden yourself by assuming that iBT TOEFL is more difficult than the others. TOEFL is a standardized test created by human and there will always be a pattern of cracking it, so you do not need to worry.

Most books from well known publisher such as Longm*n, Kap*an, Bar*on, Princet*n Review, etc will be good enough for you to prepare yourself for the test. The only thing that I think will make the difference is about your focus and preparation. If you are well-prepared and you are focus, I'm sure that you will have the confidence when you enter the test room (it's a test cubicle with a computer actually), and you will be able to do well. Focus on those things that are more manageable for you (IMHO, Indonesians tend to have some difficulty with speaking), don't just learn how to do the test, but learn how to krack the test.

Hope this will help you ilovekaskus
KLanese - 02/05/2011 07:08 PM

To all:
I know that it seems difficult to score over 90 on iBT TOEFL, however it is easier than you think.
If you keep making efforts over a period of time, you will easily get high score. It sure takes a while but you can do it easily if you have been studying English hard.
At first, I thought TOEFL would be so difficult that I shouldn't even take that test. But, once I took the test, I realized it wasn't that difficult.
Anyway, I think there is no easy way to improve your English. Basically learning another language is difficult for all international students. They all struggle to get their English better.
You need to put more efforts into studying and keep going. Then, after that, it will just naturally pay off.
You seem to have been studying hard so you should be all right.
You will sure get the sufficient TOEFL score in the future.

Relax and Stay Focus! beer:
torres_oyoy - 03/05/2011 11:26 AM

Hi, I wanna ask a question.. I'm planning to take ibt test,, how long the certificate is valid?
Thank u \)Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
aSAPlover - 03/05/2011 12:36 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By torres_oyoy
Hi, I wanna ask a question.. I'm planning to take ibt test,, how long the certificate is valid?
Thank u \)Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

for two years after the test date.
sasamakan - 03/05/2011 08:04 PM

anyone here have been taken IELTS prep in IALF before?
Can I ask you some question??
NilNilNil - 03/05/2011 09:29 PM

tes toefl tuh diadain di mana ya gan?ane cek webnya di ets cuma ada keterangan kota doang ,abis tu gambar di page one ga kluar inet lemot hammer
klo mo daftar ke mana ya gan?
Page 16 of 42 | ‹ First  < 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]