English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 20 of 42 | ‹ First  < 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 >  Last ›

Lhyycious - 30/05/2011 10:35 AM

this thread is so useful !
:thumbup

but I want to ask 'bout something.
is it possible I will get >5 in IELTS if I only take preparation class in a month ?
and it's only about 24-30 hours.
i'm not really sure i can get that kind of score...
\(

and, which one is better do you think ? :
a native speaker teacher, or an indonesian teacher ?
take a private or a normal course in EEC (for example) ?

I really need a suggestion, please...
\(
edo072 - 30/05/2011 10:49 AM

hai guys, I have another question pertaining IbT Toefl
I've taken the IbT toefl test on April 23rd, and the online results has been displayed on the ETS website since May 7th, but I havent got the printed results yet by now
does anyone here knows how long it takes for the printed results to be mailed to our home?
thx b4.
loc - 30/05/2011 01:28 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Lhyycious
this thread is so useful !
:thumbup

but I want to ask 'bout something.
is it possible I will get >5 in IELTS if I only take preparation class in a month ?
and it's only about 24-30 hours.
i'm not really sure i can get that kind of score...
\(

and, which one is better do you think ? :
a native speaker teacher, or an indonesian teacher ?
take a private or a normal course in EEC (for example) ?

I really need a suggestion, please...
\(

to answer that, first you'll need to take an IELTS practice test and find out what your individual bands are. from there, identify (1) your weaknesses and (2) what it takes to get you a 5+ band. only then can you decide whether the gap between the two can be realistically closed in 30 hours or not.

it also depends on whether you're taking the academic or the general training module (the academic module is tougher).

Quote:
Original Posted By edo072
I've taken the IbT toefl test on April 23rd, and the online results has been displayed on the ETS website since May 7th, but I havent got the printed results yet by now
does anyone here knows how long it takes for the printed results to be mailed to our home?
thx b4.

have you tried contacting ITC Indonesia about this? their numbers are (021) 571-1943 (plaza sentral) and (021) 6231-8464 (gunung sahari).
NilNilNil - 30/05/2011 11:29 PM

where can i register for toefl ibt test for 9th July?
and how bout the procedure,can i register only by phone or i have to go to the test center?
if i have to register at the test center, what should i bring?money ofc,but how bout other things ,should i bring id card/photo?

ty gan ilovekaskusiloveindonesia
ivandjaw - 31/05/2011 12:42 AM

Quote:
thx b4.

For Indonesia, usually it takes longer than expected as documents mailing especially with normal mail service (without dedicated courier service i.e: DHL/Fedex/TNT). As what I can remember, it takes about 2-3 weeks after you are able to view the score online.

Quote:
Original Posted By NilNilNil
where can i register for toefl ibt test for 9th July?
and how bout the procedure,can i register only by phone or i have to go to the test center?
if i have to register at the test center, what should i bring?money ofc,but how bout other things ,should i bring id card/photo?

ty gan ilovekaskusiloveindonesia

open www.ets.org

you can find all the information there including how to register, where can you register, what do you need for registration, etc.
edo072 - 01/06/2011 05:32 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By ivandjaw
For Indonesia, usually it takes longer than expected as documents mailing especially with normal mail service (without dedicated courier service i.e: DHL/Fedex/TNT). As what I can remember, it takes about 2-3 weeks after you are able to view the score online.

Quote:
Original Posted By loc

have you tried contacting ITC Indonesia about this? their numbers are (021) 571-1943 (plaza sentral) and (021) 6231-8464 (gunung sahari).

thx guys, I've received the printed results today by normal postal mail, I guess thats explains the delay hammer:
loc - 02/06/2011 05:43 PM

Quote:
thx guys, I've received the printed results today by normal postal mail, I guess thats explains the delay hammer:

go on then, share them with us here if you don't mind \)b
GreatParadox - 05/06/2011 10:17 AM

I got 109 on my TOEFL and 8 on my IELTS.
It was quite harsh in the first time but not so hard after learned it.
TOEFL is more difficult than IELTS, esp on speaking.
The key is only keep practicing.
loc - 06/06/2011 12:02 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By GreatParadox

whoa! good job! congrats! thumbup:
bananaspit - 06/06/2011 03:08 PM

In last February I took TOEFL prediction test provided by my work place. I wasnt well prepared due to some unfortunate events prior the test. The registration announcement was very sudden, only one day before the test. To make thing worse, I came 15 minutes late at the test room.
This was the first time I took TOEFL test. There were questions form sheet and the answers must done by making round marks on the answer sheet with 2B pencil (just like SPMB or try out test). The first session was listening. I cant concentrate and hear the audio well. Most of the questions I answered by guessing, because I have no idea what the speakers talk about. The second session is structure and I think I manage to answer most of the question right. The third session was reading. I found reading was rather difficult because I had to read the pharagraphs twice to get the main point. It was time consumed, before I read the last two stories, the session was over, and once again I answered the rest of the questions by guessing.
Here are the test result:
Listening; correct=33 converted score= 52
Structure; correct=32 converted score=56
Reading; correct=34 converted score=51
Total converted score=159 PBT score=530

Do you guys think, base on mystory above, would my result be good enough had I much prepared before the test? I plan to take a real TOEFL next year and my target is to get a minimum score 570 because that is the minimum score required to apply for scholarship. The past test I didnt have to pay because my work place already paid it, but the real TOEFL will be really expensive for me. I hope I would only need one test to get the minimum score. Should I take TOEFL preparation course? Or can I improve my score by reading newspapers and doing exercise from TOEFL software without taking the preparation course?

Oh, I also try to improve my listening skill by listening some conversation material I found from internet. The site name is www.elllo.org for daily conversation and www.speakeasytokyo.net/downtobusinessenglish/wordpress/ for conversation about economy in general.
I think they provide good listening material and it's free to download.
Ronta - 06/06/2011 08:13 PM
INSTITUTIONAL TOEFL
HELLO GANS!!!!
So, I'm going to take itp toefl tes at LI* on wednesday, and so, I'm just curious on what will they tested?
I mean, have any of you bro or sis take this itp toefl test? (Esp at Li*, yeah). Can you please tell me how the rundown would be?

THANKS FOR ANSWERING YO Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
aSAPlover - 06/06/2011 08:50 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By bananaspit

Do you guys think, base on mystory above, would my result be good enough had I much prepared before the test? I plan to take a real TOEFL next year and my target is to get a minimum score 570 because that is the minimum score required to apply for scholarship.

1. Which scholarship will you apply?
2. There is no so-called "a real TOEFL" but International TOEFL
3. Since there is no PBT in Indonesia, it means your target score should be in this interval = 1..120 (iBT interval Score).
4. Prediction TOEFL is very much different from iBT TOEFL. There are no speaking test and writing test on the prediction TOEFL. Furthermore, The listening section is also different...
5. For me, iBT TOEFL is easier than Prediction/Institutional TOEFL, but other people may think the other way around.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
{pls help : "Someone please yell at me in case you find any mistakes on my comment in terms of grammar, diction, spelling, etc..."}
aSAPlover - 06/06/2011 08:59 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By GreatParadox

cool!!! It means you can apply any scholarships, any universities in any countries...

Remember that > "Practice Makes Perfect" but "no ones Perfect" so Why Practice...?

Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

However, we have to make our skills better, but not perfect.
It is the closest thing we can achieve to perfect...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
{pls help : "Someone please yell at me in case you find any mistakes on my comment in terms of grammar, diction, spelling, etc..."}
wiedstone - 06/06/2011 09:04 PM

Of course there gonna be Listening, Reading, and grammar.
I do not claim any expertise of this, but in my opinion, all TOEFL goes the same way.
robert123456789 - 06/06/2011 10:06 PM

ane ijin nyimak dolo gan...
loc - 07/06/2011 12:25 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By bananaspit
In last February I took TOEFL prediction test provided by my work place. I wasnt well prepared due to some unfortunate events prior the test. The registration announcement was very sudden, only one day before the test. To make thing worse, I came 15 minutes late at the test room.
This was the first time I took TOEFL test. There were questions form sheet and the answers must done by making round marks on the answer sheet with 2B pencil (just like SPMB or try out test). The first session was listening. I cant concentrate and hear the audio well. Most of the questions I answered by guessing, because I have no idea what the speakers talk about. The second session is structure and I think I manage to answer most of the question right. The third session was reading. I found reading was rather difficult because I had to read the pharagraphs twice to get the main point. It was time consumed, before I read the last two stories, the session was over, and once again I answered the rest of the questions by guessing.

Do you guys think, base on mystory above, would my result be good enough had I much prepared before the test? I plan to take a real TOEFL next year and my target is to get a minimum score 570 because that is the minimum score required to apply for scholarship. The past test I didnt have to pay because my work place already paid it, but the real TOEFL will be really expensive for me. I hope I would only need one test to get the minimum score. Should I take TOEFL preparation course? Or can I improve my score by reading newspapers and doing exercise from TOEFL software without taking the preparation course?

Oh, I also try to improve my listening skill by listening some conversation material I found from internet. The site name is www.elllo.org for daily conversation and www.speakeasytokyo.net/downtobusinessenglish/wordpress/ for conversation about economy in general.
I think they provide good listening material and it's free to download.

if you work really hard at it, why not? you probably won't have the opportunity to take the PBT TOEFL in indonesia though, so my suggestion is to "convert" that required score into an iBT TOEFL score, which is probably around 90.

another thing is, like aSAPlover said, the TOEFL prediction you took didn't have the Speaking or Writing module (there was no TWE lookalike, was there?), so you probably need to work eve harder at those. remember: a Speaking or Writing test is ALWAYS a subjective test, meaning a live examiner will mark your test, be it with strict guidelines. the Listening or Reading test, on the other hand, is an objective test; a computer is (or can be) used to mark it based on the answer key provided because there's only ONE correct answer (or, in the case of the IELTS, a VERY LIMITED SET of correct answers) to each question.

so, your roadmap to success might look something like this:

[*]master ALL iBT TOEFL test-taking skills (including the format and the timing),
[*]practice (with iBT past exams or clone software),
[*]..
[*]..

Quote:
Original Posted By wiedstone
Of course there gonna be Listening, Reading, and grammar.
I do not claim any expertise of this, but in my opinion, all TOEFL goes the same way.

not sure what you mean by this, but did you know that the TOEFL had undergone TWO major overhauls over the years, from PBT (Listening, Structure and Written Expression, Reading + TWE) to CBT (Listening, Structure, Reading and Writing) to its current form, iBT (Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing), which, by the way, has exactly the same papers as the IELTS has always had (can you say 'copycat'?), only with different test formats and sequence (and not to mention the weird way of delivering the Speaking test: how often in your lifetime do you expect to speak to a recorder instead of to a live person? not very often, i must say).

so, no, not all TOEFLs go the same way. they're not even marked the same way. oh, and you won't get Grammar on the iBT. it's integrated in the Speaking and Writing papers. which, again, reminds me of IELTS..
wiedstone - 07/06/2011 03:02 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc

not sure what you mean by this, but did you know that the TOEFL had undergone TWO major overhauls over the years, from PBT (Listening, Structure and Written Expression, Reading + TWE) to CBT (Listening, Structure, Reading and Writing) to its current form, iBT (Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing), which, by the way, has exactly the same papers as the IELTS has always had (can you say 'copycat'?), only with different test formats and sequence (and not to mention the weird way of delivering the Speaking test: how often in your lifetime do you expect to speak to a recorder instead of to a live person? not very often, i must say).

so, no, not all TOEFLs go the same way. they're not even marked the same way. oh, and you won't get Grammar on the iBT. it's integrated in the Speaking and Writing papers. which, again, reminds me of IELTS..

First of all, I'd like to say 'thank you' for your more complete explaining. shakehand
What I meant by grammar is the writing part itself. I wrote my reply for a thread (before it was merged here), and as I said, I didn't claim any expertise in this kind of thing.
I think loc answered the questioner's question.
loc - 08/06/2011 05:10 AM

Quote:
First of all, I'd like to say 'thank you' for your more complete explaining. shakehand
What I meant by grammar is the writing part itself. I wrote my reply for a thread (before it was merged here), and as I said, I didn't claim any expertise in this kind of thing.
I think loc answered the questioner's question.

aaahh, i see. that's why i thought your answer was a bit unrelated to the discussion. (i never read that thread you replied to.) so it's mod's fault then for merging them..

marah

ngakaks Peace: ngacir:
wiedstone - 08/06/2011 11:51 AM

@loc : this is the questioner:

Quote:
Original Posted By Ronta
HELLO GANS!!!!
So, I'm going to take itp toefl tes at LI* on wednesday, and so, I'm just curious on what will they tested?
I mean, have any of you bro or sis take this itp toefl test? (Esp at Li*, yeah). Can you please tell me how the rundown would be?

THANKS FOR ANSWERING YO Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

BTW, I'll be taking iBT this Saturday. Wish me luck. I'm so busy that I don't have any time for practice. \(
loc - 09/06/2011 12:07 AM

Quote:
@loc : this is the questioner:

BTW, I'll be taking iBT this Saturday. Wish me luck. I'm so busy that I don't have any time for practice. \(

right, got it. well, the best of luck with your iBT! i'm sure you'll do just fine thumbup: (and post here again later with your scores if you don't mind D)
Page 20 of 42 | ‹ First  < 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]