English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 21 of 42 | ‹ First  < 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 >  Last ›

RylzZz - 09/06/2011 01:22 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By wiedstone
@loc : this is the questioner:

BTW, I'll be taking iBT this Saturday. Wish me luck. I'm so busy that I don't have any time for practice. \(

woww.. same here!!!.. i will also taking ibt this saturday at eec. how about you? where are you going to take your ibt test? wish us luck.. lol
wiedstone - 09/06/2011 09:57 AM

^
Me? At Alfalink, in Semarang. The test is registered officially from ETS. takuts:
Surely it makes me a lil' bit nervous
hikari_8287 - 09/06/2011 12:24 PM
Ask ielts
hello guys, anybody take ielts exam? where? thankssss
kiss
aSAPlover - 10/06/2011 07:34 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By hikari_8287
hello guys, anybody take ielts exam? where? thankssss
kiss

yes IALF Jakarta

http://www.ialf.edu/
tolongsaya - 11/06/2011 04:42 PM

So you must pay quite a lot to take toefl exam huh
And all this time i thought it was free hammer
wiedstone - 11/06/2011 08:29 PM

I've just taken iBT. Being unprepared, I needed four hours to complete the whole test. I'm looking forward to receiving the result in two weeks to come. Hopefully, I'll get the score more than 61.
If it is so, United States here I come ..
ivandjaw - 12/06/2011 12:15 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By tolongsaya
So you must pay quite a lot to take toefl exam huh
And all this time i thought it was free hammer

TOEFL test is prepared and administered by a non-profit organization. The preparation, and the test itself is prepared by experts where they are paid. Furthermore, the people at ETS need some money for their operational and test development cost. Thus the test is definitely not free. Furthermore if it's free, it will not become standardized test anymore.

Quote:
I've just taken iBT. Being unprepared, I needed four hours to complete the whole test. I'm looking forward to receiving the result in two weeks to come. Hopefully, I'll get the score more than 61.

why are you not prepared? But don't worry, 61 is not hard to get. All the best cendols
aSAPlover - 12/06/2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Are you sure that the requirement score is only 61? This score is actually equivalent to around 5.0 IELTS Score. Dont you think the requirement score is too low?

For the comparison, In Australia:

To demonstrate the "proficient" level of English, applicants for Australia's Independent Migrant visa (permanent residence) must have score at least 7 on each of the modules of IELTS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
{pls help : "Someone please yell at me in case you find any mistakes on my comment in any threads in terms of grammar, diction, spelling, etc..."}
rahan - 12/06/2011 10:23 AM

IELTS fun facts (ngacir2 source:ielts.org)

2010 mean band score for female candidates (academic)
Lis: 6.1 Rea: 6.1 Wri:5.6 Spe: 5.9 Overall: 6 malus

2010 mean band score for male candidates (academic)
Lis: 5.9 Rea: 5.9 Wri: 5.4 Spe: 5.8 Overall: 5.8 bingungs

2010 mean band score for countries (Indonesia - academic)
Lis: 6.3 Rea: 6.4 Wri: 5.6 Spe: 6 Overall: 6.2 iloveindonesias

Qatar Overall 4.9 tabrakan:
Germany Overall: 7.2 :travel
wiedstone - 12/06/2011 11:19 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By aSAPlover
Are you sure that the requirement score is only 61? This score is actually equivalent to around 5.0 IELTS Score. Dont you think the requirement score is too low?

For the comparison, In Australia:

To demonstrate the "proficient" level of English, applicants for Australia's Independent Migrant visa (permanent residence) must have score at least 7 on each of the modules of IELTS

{pls help : "Someone please yell at me in case you find any mistakes on my comment in any threads in terms of grammar, diction, spelling, etc..."}

I have no idea. The official from the program told me so. In my opinion, score 61 is not the minimum limit to study in US, it is the minimum requirement for me to be an eligible candidate for my program. Anyway, does anyone know how to convert iBT to PBT or IELTS? FYI, I haven't read this thread thoroughfully.
ivandjaw - 12/06/2011 02:58 PM

Quote:
I have no idea. The official from the program told me so. In my opinion, score 61 is not the minimum limit to study in US, it is the minimum requirement for me to be an eligible candidate for my program. Anyway, does anyone know how to convert iBT to PBT or IELTS? FYI, I haven't read this thread thoroughfully.

there is a table provided by ETS to convert iBT to PBT equivalent. However I'm not sure about IELTS.
rahan - 12/06/2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Joker: 'Why So Serious?' .... me: 'because this is IELTS!'capedes

Spoiler for TOEFL & IELTS equivalency table from Vancouver
Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
loc - 13/06/2011 01:58 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan
Joker: 'Why So Serious?' .... me: 'because this is IELTS!'capedes

Spoiler for TOEFL & IELTS equivalency table from Vancouver
Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

gee.. i'm not sure you can pass the FCE with IELTS at band 5.0. i doubt that very much.. D the jump is quite big between the PET and the FCE.
aSAPlover - 13/06/2011 07:56 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan

If the above table is the official conversion (which is widely used by universities or other institutions) between IELTS and TOEFL iBT scores, and then I would be very happy. Unfortunately it is not.. berdukas

As a matter of fact, many universities (for example in OZ) DO NOT follow the above chart. They think that ETS is trying to show the superiority of TOEFL iBT over IELTS on the basis of so called research conducted by them on more than 1,100 individuals who tool both tests.

The above table shows 79 in TOEFL iBT is equivalent to 6.5 in IELTS which unfortunately contradicts with minimum requirements of most of the universities in Australia:

1.University of Melbourne : 6.5 (IELTS) = 90 (iBT)
2.Monash University : 6.5 (IELTS) = 91 (iBT) berdukas
3.UNSW : 6.5 (IELTS) = 90 (iBT)
4.Victoria University : 6.5 (IELTS) = 93 (iBT)

ETS actually published the comparison at http://www.ets.org/s/toefl/pdf/supplementary_comparison_tables.pdf
IELTS.org: http://www.ielts.org/pdf/Vol11_Full_report.pdf

To sum up:
If we want to apply a postgraduate program at a university in Australia, then take IELTS because universities in OZ tend to underrate iBT TOEFL over IELTS score.

{pls help : "Someone please yell at me in case you find any mistakes/ambiguities on my comment in any threads in terms of grammar, diction, spelling, etc..."}
wiedstone - 13/06/2011 10:50 AM

O I c.

Thanks for whom provided the conversion table.
I once got score 800 in TOEIC (officially from ETS), and 590 (predictive PBT). Anyway, I'm not sure what score I will get from this IBT. I remember there were some mistakes I made during the IBT test, and I found them when I opened up my dictionary. Well, surely it made me disappointed coz I answered the right options, before I corrected them and made it worse. \(.

*Cross my fingers*
rahan - 13/06/2011 07:09 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By aSAPlover
If the above table is the official conversion (which is widely used by universities or other institutions) between IELTS and TOEFL iBT scores, and then I would be very happy. Unfortunately it is not.. berdukas

To sum up:
If we want to apply a postgraduate program at a university in Australia, then take IELTS because universities in OZ tend to underrate iBT TOEFL over IELTS score.

I 200% totally agree ... somehow I like IELTS better. Maybe academic writing task I is my favourite part of the test. I don't know why ... it's so academic, perhaps? dunno for sure ...YbYbiloveindonesias
BuleArab - 14/06/2011 06:07 PM

thx for ts to make this tread which one very useful

i want to ask,is there toefl pbt test? because about 6 months a go i took course on ilp,we studied for pbt ,thx for answer,,

and do you know where place to take ielts prediction test ?
ivandjaw - 14/06/2011 06:48 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan
I 200% totally agree ... somehow I like IELTS better. Maybe academic writing task I is my favourite part of the test. I don't know why ... it's so academic, perhaps? dunno for sure ...YbYbiloveindonesias

it depends on where you intend to study at. If you are thinking to study in a commonwealth country (UK / OZ), then IELTS will be a better choice then TOEFL although both are accepted. However if you are going to USA, then TOEFL will be the better option.

Quote:
Original Posted By BuleArab
thx for ts to make this tread which one very useful

i want to ask,is there toefl pbt test? because about 6 months a go i took course on ilp,we studied for pbt ,thx for answer,,

and do you know where place to take ielts prediction test ?

ETS no longer conduct TOEFL pbt in Indonesia. Now only iBT is offered in Indonesia. If you are offered to take a pbt test, then it is not an official test from ETS.

I'm not sure about IELTS though..
sethlestath - 15/06/2011 02:37 PM

Does anyone know what is "Actual toefl test"? Coz i;m no process applying work & holiday visa for australian. But they refused my toefl because the score was prediction not actual. Meanwhile I've checked several english institution about this, but they came up with nothing. They just never heard such thing as Actual toefl test. So anyone?
ivandjaw - 15/06/2011 05:29 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By sethlestath
Does anyone know what is "Actual toefl test"? Coz i;m no process applying work & holiday visa for australian. But they refused my toefl because the score was prediction not actual. Meanwhile I've checked several english institution about this, but they came up with nothing. They just never heard such thing as Actual toefl test. So anyone?

Actual TOEFL test is the official TOEFL test administered by ETS. You can check www.ets.org for more information. You can only register from ets' website directly to take the test and they have several authorized test centers in Indonesia for you to choose.

Official TOEFL test is different from prediction as prediction is self-made by institution offering English courses and it's not recognized worldwide.

Hope it helps.
Page 21 of 42 | ‹ First  < 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]