English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 23 of 42 | ‹ First  < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 >  Last ›

bangedi - 05/07/2011 06:21 PM
Let's Learn the skill and strategis of TOEFL Test
Listening Comprehension

Below is the general strategy for Listening Comprehension Section for part A, part B and part C.

[*]Be familiar with the directions. The directions on every TOEFL test are the same, so it is not necessary to listen carefully to them each time. You should be completely familiar with the directions before the day of the test.
[*] Listen carefully to the conversations and talks. You should concentrate fully on what the speakers are saying on the recording because you will hear the recording one time only.
[*] Know where the easier and more difficult questions are generally found. Within each part of the Listening Comprehension section, the questions generally progress from easy to difficult.
[*] Never leave any questions blank on your answer sheet. Even if you are unsure of the correct response, you should answer the question. There is no penalty for guessing.
[*] Use any remaining time to look ahead at the answers to the questions that follow. When you finish with one question, you may have time to look ahead at the answers to the next question.

http://www.toeflskill.com/2011/01/general-strategy-of-listening.html

Strategy for structure questions

1. First study the sentence.

Your purpose is to determine what is needed to complete the sentence correctly.

2. Then study each answer based on how well it completes the sentence.

Eliminate answers that do not complete the sentence correctly.

3. Do not try to eliminate incorrect answers by looking only at the answers.

The incorrect answers are generally correct by themselves. The incorrect answers are generally incorrect
only when used to complete the sentence.

4. Never leave any answers blank.

Be sure to answer each question even if you are unsure of the correct response.

5. Do not spend too much time on the Structure questions.

Be sure to leave adequate time for the Written Expression questions.

Reading Comprehension

STRATEGIES FOR THE READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS

1. Skim the reading passage to determine the main idea and the overall organization of ideas in the passage.

You do not need to understand every detail in a passage to answer the questions correctly. It is therefore a waste of time to read the passage with the intent of understanding every single detail before you try to answer the questions.

2. Look ahead at the questions to determine what types of questions you must answer.

Each type of question is answered in a different way.

3. Find the section of the passage that deals with each question.

The question type tells you exactly where to look in the passage to find correct answers.

For main idea questions, look at the first line of each paragraph.
For directly and indirectly answered detail questions, choose a key word in the question, and skim for that key word (or a related idea) in order in the passage.
For vocabulary questions, the question will tell you where the word is located in the passage.
For where questions, the answers are found anywhere in the passage.

4. Read the part of the passage that contains the answer carefully.

The answer will probably be in the same sentence (or one sentence before or after) the key word or idea.

5. Choose the best answer to each question from the four answer choices listed in your test book.

You can choose the best answer according to what is given in the appropriate section of the passage, eliminate definitely wrong answers, and mark your best guess on the answer sheet.

http://www.toeflskill.com/2011/05/reading-comprehension-questions.html
Gami3 - 05/07/2011 06:57 PM

I have never had a test for my English proficiency in TOEFL
Guess, this information could be a help if I decide to have a test later
but, I think it's gonna be more easy to understand if you can attache an example in every passage. Thanks
asya1263 - 08/07/2011 03:28 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'm positive these tips would be helpful. Hopefully the TS would add more insights as what Gami3 suggested, i.e. examples.

I happened to wrote one similar tips by myself: http://asyafrudin.blogspot.com/2011/07/tips-mengikuti-toefl-itp.html
Pardon the shameless self-promotion. \)
zina123456 - 10/07/2011 08:53 PM
Toefl pbt
I need help " How to obtain the highest score for TOEFL PBT at least 600" would you mind helping me? YbYbYb
kawaii.koushi - 11/07/2011 02:00 PM

wow.. this thread so helpful..

shakehand for senior.. let newbie to join please... o

i intend to take toefl test at the end of year.. to fulfill master degree requirement.. need 600 score... :'(

lost all my confident T.T since now maybe my score just around 450 or lower.. T.T

still confused what to do.. and where should i take the course.. T.T
rahan - 11/07/2011 02:57 PM
Toefl 600 everyone?
Quote:
Original Posted By zina123456
I need help " How to obtain the highest score for TOEFL PBT at least 600" would you mind helping me? YbYbYb

Quote:
Original Posted By kawaii.koushi
wow.. this thread so helpful..
shakehand for senior.. let newbie to join please... o
i intend to take toefl test at the end of year.. to fulfill master degree requirement.. need 600 score... :'(
lost all my confident T.T since now maybe my score just around 450 or lower.. T.T
still confused what to do.. and where should i take the course.. T.T

Are you serious that you want to put your best effort and gain 600 on PBT toefl? Ok. I will help you with several initial steps you can easily do to get that score.
1.) There is no need to join expensive courses for this. You don't need to waste your money. But it's your choice, really. However, I'm suggesting u don't need to bother about it as we can do this money-free.

2.) You need several resources. So, I'll give you the best material possibly available out there. (download links)
Spoiler for Ebook 1 + Audio
Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

Spoiler for links

Spoiler for Ebook 2 + Audio
Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

Spoiler for links

Spoiler for Simulation Software All Sections

Spoiler for links

Spoiler for Simulation Software Section 2

Spoiler for links

Ebook 1 is to get a general knowledge of TOEFL PBT. Yes, it is an old book and it doesn't look so awesome. Nevertheless, it's my first choice.
Ebook 2 is additional book specialized to help you prepare the listening section efficiently
'Red' Software function is to help you simulate with the test situation. Time and everything.
'3000' Software is to make sure that you don't make any mistake in Structure and Written Expression.

3.) Now that you already have downloaded all those resources, you can do your part of the job. Study those (e)books seriously. If there are some parts of it you don't understand, you can always ask in this thread. Don't forget, create a flexible schedule and try to do your best.

4.) Need a hand for further questions? feel free to send me a PM.
shakehand2
electronicluke - 12/07/2011 01:26 AM
Writing IELTS
Excuse me, i already took IELTS test twice, and i got 5.5 for both of my writing test, i don't know what is wrong with my writing test, actually what is the prerequisite for geting 7.0 for writing in Ielts test ? is it true that our band in IELTS especially writing and speaking depends on the examiners mood ?? Thanx
loc - 12/07/2011 01:46 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By electronicluke
Excuse me, i already took IELTS test twice, and i got 5.5 for both of my writing test, i don't know what is wrong with my writing test, actually what is the prerequisite for geting 7.0 for writing in Ielts test ? is it true that our band in IELTS especially writing and speaking depends on the examiners mood ?? Thanx

if you still remember what you wrote and how you wrote them, why don't you post them here (for both tasks, please also post the question if possible). and no, your score doesn't have anything to do with the examiner's mood.
rahan - 12/07/2011 03:53 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By electronicluke

mood? nope. These are four criterion.
1. Task achievement & task response
2. coherence & cohesion
3. lexical resource
4. grammatical range and accuracy

you can self score your practice task in writing section with this guide. see if u are doing well enough to be granted with seven. otherwise, you can post it here and ask for positive feedback just as mr. loc have said. coffee:

writing task 1 band descriptors (5,6,7)

writing task 2 band descriptors

if you felt that these images i posted a bit tiny .. feel free to click..
http://www.ielts.org/researchers/score_processing_and_reporting.aspx
http://www.ielts.org/PDF/UOBDs_WritingT1.pdf
http://www.ielts.org/PDF/UOBDs_WritingT2.pdf

and last but not least, 'a beautiful teacher' might also help you in these links.
http://australianetwork.com/studyenglish/s2803917.htm
http://australianetwork.com/studyenglish/s2809462.htm
electronicluke - 12/07/2011 01:22 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
if you still remember what you wrote and how you wrote them, why don't you post them here (for both tasks, please also post the question if possible). and no, your score doesn't have anything to do with the examiner's mood.

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan
mood? nope. These are four criterion.
1. Task achievement & task response
2. coherence & cohesion
3. lexical resource
4. grammatical range and accuracy

you can self score your practice task in writing section with this guide. see if u are doing well enough to be granted with seven. otherwise, you can post it here and ask for positive feedback just as mr. loc have said. coffee:

writing task 1 band descriptors (5,6,7)

writing task 2 band descriptors

if you felt that these images i posted a bit tiny .. feel free to click..
http://www.ielts.org/researchers/score_processing_and_reporting.aspx
http://www.ielts.org/PDF/UOBDs_WritingT1.pdf
http://www.ielts.org/PDF/UOBDs_WritingT2.pdf

and last but not least, 'a beautiful teacher' might also help you in these links.
http://australianetwork.com/studyenglish/s2803917.htm
http://australianetwork.com/studyenglish/s2809462.htm

unfortunately i forgot what i wrote at that test, because the last test I took was 5 month ago \) , but i'm sure your tips will help me to pass my next test on August, thanx alot for your helping information Yb
metalchar - 12/07/2011 04:36 PM

may I request some download links for TOEFL IBT prep?\)b
the links on page one are all dead
rahan - 12/07/2011 05:11 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By metalchar
may I request some download links for TOEFL IBT prep?\)b
the links on page one are all dead

http://www.filesonic.com/file/1015601364/sharebookfree.com_1901307687.rar
http://www.filesonic.com/file/1030891464
http://www.filesonic.com/file/940496681/ETS_TOEFL_iBT_Tips.zip
http://www.filefactory.com/file/cb3dc90/n/BsTOEFLiBT12Ed.pdf

I believe mr metalchar had read the link i posted here two days ago ... ngacir2
afromonkey - 13/07/2011 01:58 PM

Hello all,

Few days ago, I was invited by friend to join TOEFL prep course (including test) in one university in YK, the cost is 550k.

I wanna ask is that a true TOEFL test? PBT?

coz I read in page 1 PBT costs US$160, and I am confused, tomorrow I decide to go to that university to ask for details. I hope you all here can help me for the right info \) Is it true that toefl certificate has a kind of expire date?

I have taken TOEFL prediction last year in November, I got 527. But I don't pay for certificates cos I think that's not much useful, just prediction.

I am going to look for job now, and I think I need to take TOEFL test.

Thank you.\)
rahan - 13/07/2011 02:33 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By afromonkey
Hello all,

Few days ago, I was invited by friend to join TOEFL prep course (including test) in one university in YK, the cost is 550k.

coz I read in page 1 PBT costs US$160, and I am confused, tomorrow I decide to go to that university to ask for details. I hope you all here can help me for the right info \) Is it true that toefl certificate has a kind of expire date?

I have taken TOEFL prediction last year in November, I got 527. But I don't pay for certificates cos I think that's not much useful, just prediction.

Thank you.\)

True Toefl Test = Toefl IBT - expensive, challenging, interesting, need some serious preparation, and you can use this one for international purpose

PBT Toefl Test = Paper Based Test = which is no longer offered in a country already capable for IBT

ITP = Toefl in a university like the one you mentioned above ... yes it's useful only in Indonesia, CMIIW..

read posts in page 16 of this thread to be clear about this ...

as far as I know in language centre ITB and UPI .. the test only will cost you Rp. 300.000 but that was a year ago

expire date? some purposes (scholarships, enrollment) ask candidate to supply them with recent results and by recent, i believe what they' really meant is no more than two years ..
afromonkey - 13/07/2011 02:50 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan
True Toefl Test = Toefl IBT - expensive, challenging, interesting, need some serious preparation, and you can use this one for international purpose

PBT Toefl Test = Paper Based Test = which is no longer offered in a country already capable for IBT

ITP = Toefl in a university like the one you mentioned above ... yes it's useful only in Indonesia, CMIIW..

read posts in page 16 of this thread to be clear about this ...

as far as I know in language centre ITB and UPI .. the test only will cost you Rp. 300.000 but that was a year ago

expire date? some purposes (scholarships, enrollment) ask candidate to supply them with recent results and by recent, i believe what they' really meant is no more than two years ..

thanks for your helpful explanation \)

I'll go to page 16 to learn more,

I just don't wanna spent money uselessly...

Hope everybody can explain more about the usage of ITP, is it useful in Indonesia only?
ivandjaw - 13/07/2011 09:00 PM

Quote:
thanks for your helpful explanation \)

I'll go to page 16 to learn more,

I just don't wanna spent money uselessly...

Hope everybody can explain more about the usage of ITP, is it useful in Indonesia only?

I'm not sure about ITP, however I would like to add some comments on TOEFL IBT

TOEFL IBT is the official TOEFL test administered by ETS U.S.A and it is recognized world-wide by universities and MNC all around the world (including Indonesia), however it may not be necessary if you want to pursue your further study in country like Indonesia. Moreover, your TOEFL IBT result only officially valid for 2 years, thus you need to re-take the test should your result has already expired.

Last but not least, if you are thinking to explore scholarship opportunities in overseas, then TOEFL IBT is compulsory. However, always try to score as high as possible for your English Proficiency test (both official TOEFL IBT test, PBT, or even TOEFL prediction test) as it may impress your employer, the admission committee of your target university, and it may further enhance your confident to improve yourself.
afromonkey - 13/07/2011 09:24 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By ivandjaw
I'm not sure about ITP, however I would like to add some comments on TOEFL IBT

TOEFL IBT is the official TOEFL test administered by ETS U.S.A and it is recognized world-wide by universities and MNC all around the world (including Indonesia), however it may not be necessary if you want to pursue your further study in country like Indonesia. Moreover, your TOEFL IBT result only officially valid for 2 years, thus you need to re-take the test should your result has already expired.

Last but not least, if you are thinking to explore scholarship opportunities in overseas, then TOEFL IBT is compulsory. However, always try to score as high as possible for your English Proficiency test (both official TOEFL IBT test, PBT, or even TOEFL prediction test) as it may impress your employer, the admission committee of your target university, and it may further enhance your confident to improve yourself.

thanks for the info..

I guess I'll take the ITP because for now I am not planning to have a job overseas... \)
Maybe in the future I'll try iBT so I can have a job overseas.
fadly354 - 15/07/2011 02:49 AM

Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you.\)

AFAIK, maybe your 550k such a simulation, at 2008, i was preparing for IELTS, it's about 180$, n now just 160$? nohope:
afromonkey - 15/07/2011 10:08 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By fadly354
[RIGHT]
AFAIK, maybe your 550k such a simulation, at 2008, i was preparing for IELTS, it's about 180$, n now just 160$? nohope:

yea.. I've checked... and that's just ITP, no speaking test...
I cancel to join there.
zipperia - 17/07/2011 04:22 PM

Hi,can i ask some questions about ielts test that i will take soon???
1. Anyone has already taken that test before?
2. The reading has 3 passages,so it has different difficulty level between text 1 and others?
3. How was about the listening?did you hear it clearly?
4. How was the writing?Will difficult words help me to get high score?
5. How was about your speaking?How was the interviewer?male or woman?

I have been practicing.
I will take it soon and please help me.
Maybe some advices can help me.
My target is 5.5 until 6 to study abroad.
Sorry there are a lot of questions.
God bless you.
Page 23 of 42 | ‹ First  < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]