English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 24 of 42 | ‹ First  < 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >  Last ›

rahan - 17/07/2011 07:43 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By zipperia
Hi,can i ask some questions about ielts test that i will take soon???
1. Anyone has already taken that test before?
2. The reading has 3 passages,so it has different difficulty level between text 1 and others?
3. How was about the listening?did you hear it clearly?
4. How was the writing?Will difficult words help me to get high score?
5. How was about your speaking?How was the interviewer?male or woman?

I have been practicing.
I will take it soon and please help me.
Maybe some advices can help me.
My target is 5.5 until 6 to study abroad.
Sorry there are a lot of questions.
God bless you.

1. Yes, of course.
2. don't bother about the difficulty level. You should focus preparing and read lots of topics, and make yourself familiar to good range of vocab, such as Art, Communication, Technology, Geology, Space Travel, Health, Tourism, Science, and Engineering. Make sure you do at least 15 simulation of IELTS practice test before taking the real test. You can do more but no less than fifteen.
3. It is very clear output, as they use the best sound system. We shouldn't be worried of the audio system. It's International and expensive test. They know how to held a test and they've done it many times. \)
4. Good writing needs good balance. Good Introduction, proper use of conjunction, suitable vocabulary, wide range of grammar, sample and statement. Cohesion and coherence. Definitive conclusion, and many other stuff. You can use difficult words, as long as you put it in the correct way.
5. I was interviewed by a man, he asked me about the city where I lived in, compare the city by its essential features, what do I look in the city that I choose to be a retirement place, compare Indonesian cities now and in the past. Yeah, I think it's fun.

GBU my friend..
loc - 18/07/2011 01:19 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By fadly354
Spoiler for PALING HOT SE-KASKUS

we appreciate your contribution, but we don't appreciate your adverstisement. READ THE RULES!

Quote:
Hi,can i ask some questions about ielts test that i will take soon???
1. Anyone has already taken that test before?
2. The reading has 3 passages,so it has different difficulty level between text 1 and others?
3. How was about the listening?did you hear it clearly?
4. How was the writing?Will difficult words help me to get high score?
5. How was about your speaking?How was the interviewer?male or woman?

I have been practicing.
I will take it soon and please help me.
Maybe some advices can help me.
My target is 5.5 until 6 to study abroad.
Sorry there are a lot of questions.
God bless you.

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan
1. Yes, of course.
2. don't bother about the difficulty level. You should focus preparing and read lots of topics, and make yourself familiar to good range of vocab, such as Art, Communication, Technology, Geology, Space Travel, Health, Tourism, Science, and Engineering. Make sure you do at least 15 simulation of IELTS practice test before taking the real test. You can do more but no less than fifteen.
3. It is very clear output, as they use the best sound system. We shouldn't be worried of the audio system. It's International and expensive test. They know how to held a test and they've done it many times. \)
4. Good writing needs good balance. Good Introduction, proper use of conjunction, suitable vocabulary, wide range of grammar, sample and statement. Cohesion and coherence. Definitive conclusion, and many other stuff. You can use difficult words, as long as you put it in the correct way.
5. I was interviewed by a man, he asked me about the city where I lived in, compare the city by its essential features, what do I look in the city that I choose to be a retirement place, compare Indonesian cities now and in the past. Yeah, I think it's fun.

GBU my friend..

[*]yes
[*]yes: reading passage 1 is the easiest and 3 the most difficult. therefore, try to time yourself like so: 15 mins for text 1, 20 mins for text 2 and 25 mins for text 3 = 60 mins.
[*]agree with rahan above
[*]"difficult" is a bit vague, but you should try to use "unusual" words correctly. i agree with rahan that if you don't really understand those "special" words, you should just stick to the words you're really familiar with and use them correctly. plus, pay attention to the following:

[*]answer the questions! it may sound obvious, but if you don't understand what the questions are asking, then you can't answer them, period.
[*]never copy the words in the questions exactly! those copied words will simply be crossed out and not included in the word count (see below why word count is important.) rephrase them and use them in your writing.
[*]don't write less than 150 words for Task 1 and 250 words in Task 2, or you won't get more than Band 5.
[*]spend 20 mins for Task 1 (no more!) and 40 mins for Task 2.
[*]your writing band = (2*(Task 2) + (Task 1))/3, so give priority to Task 2.
[*]use paragraphs! you don't need to indent your paragraphs; just leave a blank line in between them.
[*]read neatly and legibly. if the examiner can't read your handwriting, he/she will just cross them out and not include them in the word count.
[*]make sure your paragraphs are coherent (flowing smoothly from intro to conclusion) and cohesive (linked to one another using connectors: However.., Moreover.., Overall.., etc)
[*]make sure you have only one topic to discuss in one paragraph and support it thoroughly.
[*]aim to have an Introduction, Body paragraphs and a Conclusion (for some question types, the Conclusion may not be needed for Task 1.)
[*]contractions ("can't", "wouldn't", etc.) should be avoided in Task 1 and must be avoided completely in Task 2.

[*]the interviewer may be a man or a woman, and you can't choose. focus instead on how you'll deal with all 3 parts in the Speaking module.

zipperia - 18/07/2011 08:39 PM

Thank you for you advices... I hope I can pass that test and I must pass with good score as well...
loc - 18/07/2011 11:49 PM

Quote:
Thank you for you advices... I hope I can pass that test and I must pass with good score as well...

good luck! post back here with your score later if you don't mind thumbup:
rahan - 18/07/2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

please be kind to share your IELTS test experience here after you feel comfortable enough, we wish you all the best ... you will take it at IALF Rasuna Said, right? Good luck ...

for all... intermezzo. I saw this 'ABOUT IELTS' thread by PissLUR, our mod. IELTS AND CORRUPTION quite interesting ...

where's Klanese by the way ... \)
zipperia - 19/07/2011 04:48 PM

Yes, of course. I will share my result... No,I take it in IALF Surabaya,My hometown is Surabaya... Hahahaha...
loc - 19/07/2011 11:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, of course. I will share my result... No,I take it in IALF Surabaya,My hometown is Surabaya... Hahahaha...

and don't forget you now have to get your fingerprints and photograph taken for the registration \)
akubocahnakal - 20/07/2011 05:09 PM
TOEFL test
i am going to ask a question..is toefl score to be standarized of people or somebody ability to speak english well?
my toefl score is bad,but if i read or listen conversation its more easy to me to understand.i admit that my grammar and vocab its less..

(for admin,if my post previosly existing ,nevermind if delete it.)

i am sorry for my bad english...(tlong dikoreksi ya,pasti banyak yg salah, \) )
KLanese - 21/07/2011 01:37 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By akubocahnakal
i am going to ask a question..is toefl score to be standarized of people or somebody ability to speak english well?
my toefl score is bad,but if i read or listen conversation its more easy to me to understand.i admit that my grammar and vocab its less..

I got confused with your question bro, will you please simplify it to make it more clear? D
Cooolermaster - 21/07/2011 05:29 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By KLanese
I got confused with your question bro, will you please simplify it to make it more clear? D

maybe he asked about TOEFL score was a standardization for somebody could speaking in english very well?

CMIIW
restar - 22/07/2011 12:07 PM

hi gans.. anyone knows how to join toastmaster club in jakarta? where? how much? i had this as a class subject back then in college..

for conversation class, i'm thinking to take it at wallstreet ratu plaza.. is it good? anyone else already joined wallstreet for conversation class?

i need to speak more feeling my english is gettin rustier..

any info related to my questions will be appreciated..
electronicluke - 22/07/2011 02:19 PM

gan i'm planning to take a scholarsip, and one of requierment there is certificate of TOEFL or IELTS score (original copy) directly sent from ETS/IELTS , my question is how can i request ETS/IELTS to send the original copy of my IELTS test result to the scholarship institution ? and can I choose to send my previous IELTS test result instead of the latest one ? FYI I already took the IELTS test twice , thanx gan\)b
ivandjaw - 22/07/2011 09:49 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By electronicluke
gan i'm planning to take a scholarsip, and one of requierment there is certificate of TOEFL or IELTS score (original copy) directly sent from ETS/IELTS , my question is how can i request ETS/IELTS to send the original copy of my IELTS test result to the scholarship institution ? and can I choose to send my previous IELTS test result instead of the latest one ? FYI I already took the IELTS test twice , thanx gan\)b

I'm not sure for IELTS, but if you're taking TOEFL, there will be an option during your test registration and *I'm not sure about this* after you finish your test.

If you had registered your test before, then you can always log in to your ETS TOEFL account and ask them to send the certificate to your desired institution. And don't forget that ETS will charge you some money for the administration and shipment cost.
fomal - 22/07/2011 09:55 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan
mood? nope. These are four criterion.
1. Task achievement & task response
2. coherence & cohesion
3. lexical resource
4. grammatical range and accuracy

you can self score your practice task in writing section with this guide. see if u are doing well enough to be granted with seven. otherwise, you can post it here and ask for positive feedback just as mr. loc have said. coffee:

writing task 1 band descriptors (5,6,7)
Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

writing task 2 band descriptors
Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

if you felt that these images i posted a bit tiny .. feel free to click..
http://www.ielts.org/researchers/score_processing_and_reporting.aspx
http://www.ielts.org/PDF/UOBDs_WritingT1.pdf
http://www.ielts.org/PDF/UOBDs_WritingT2.pdf

and last but not least, 'a beautiful teacher' might also help you in these links.
http://australianetwork.com/studyenglish/s2803917.htm
http://australianetwork.com/studyenglish/s2809462.htm

awesome information malu:

thanks for the criterion

I have a plan to attempt another ielts

wish me luck malu:
electronicluke - 23/07/2011 12:46 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By ivandjaw
I'm not sure for IELTS, but if you're taking TOEFL, there will be an option during your test registration and *I'm not sure about this* after you finish your test.

If you had registered your test before, then you can always log in to your ETS TOEFL account and ask them to send the certificate to your desired institution. And don't forget that ETS will charge you some money for the administration and shipment cost.

thanx for your help gan, i appreciate it \)
ivandjaw - 23/07/2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Mastering a language is not only about listening and reading, but you must be able to speak and write in a comprehensive way, that's why TOEFL is testing all reading, listening, speaking and writing where each of them contribute 25% of the total score.

TOEFL is a standardized test for those whose mother tongue is not English who want to study / work in a English speaking country. As times goes by, the test is also used to show how competent someone in English.

From how you write, I can conclude that you still need to learn a lot about English, if you claim that you are able to read and listen in English, try to read newspaper such as New York Times, or read websites like Bloomberg, or try to have a debate / conversation with somebody from UK / US.

Let me correct your sentences:
i am going to ask a question : is TOEFL a standardized test to measure someone's ability in speaking English?
Although my toefl score is bad, I am able to read or listen to a conversation. Nevertheless, I admit that my grammar and vocabulary is poor.

fomal - 23/07/2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

I think he wanted to say that If his previous post was unacceptable/out of topic, he will not have hard feeling if his post was deleted

maybe cmiiw
rahan - 24/07/2011 06:24 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By restar
hi gans.. anyone knows how to join toastmaster club in jakarta? where? how much? i had this as a class subject back then in college..

for conversation class, i'm thinking to take it at wallstreet ratu plaza.. is it good? anyone else already joined wallstreet for conversation class?

i need to speak more feeling my english is gettin rustier..

any info related to my questions will be appreciated..

you should check these links then:
http://reports.toastmasters.org/findaclub/searchresults.cfm?Country=Indonesia&State=&City=Jakarta

http://sites.google.com/site/toastmasterslunchrappersclub/Resources

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/toastmasters-faq/part2/

I don't know anything about toastmaster though, so if it's not up-to-date enough just contact one of the club \)

Quote:
Original Posted By fomal
awesome information malu:

thanks for the criterion

I have a plan to attempt another ielts

wish me luck malu:

shakehand2 another IELTS? what's wrong with the first attempt? hmm .. please share your experience here after you take it, hehehe \) good luck bro
nisaa - 24/07/2011 02:00 PM

Hi all,
Just wanna share about my experience..

I applied for one of universities in overseas, and the English requirement is overall 6.5 with each band 6. Well, I have took the test 5 TIMES. Yes, 5 times! I took the test at IDP Pond.Indah, IDP Kelapa Gading, and Specta Kelapa Gading. From the first until the last test, my score still 6. I tried to improve my English with joined the IELTS prep at IDP PI two times (total 20 hours), and hoped I could increase 0.5. Unfortunately, my score still 6 \(

I'm pretty know my weakness is in reading section. I don't know why but It's really hard. I practiced many times but well, maybe I should spend more efforts. Now I want to try to take ITP at Aminef next week. But what I'm afraid of is my grammar is soooooo weak! haha actually I'm not such a master of English so I have many weaknesses in English nohope:

I bought Longman prep book (the red one) at Gramedia but I just realized there is no answer key! Oh man, how can I check whether my answer is right or false.

Thank God I found this thread so I could learn about many experiences from all of you \)

Wish you all the best and have an awesome Sunday!
nisaa - 24/07/2011 02:50 PM

I forget to mention in my last post, is there any download-link to practice PBT like Barron or something like that? I can't find it in the first page in this thread.

Thanks in advance.
Page 24 of 42 | ‹ First  < 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]