English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 3 of 42 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›

luckc1ous - 20/07/2010 10:57 PM
(Just wonder) Placement test EF
Hi kaskuser, so today afternoon i just did my placement test in EF
FYI. My age 25 -- and i get level 10 in placement test ?
I just wonder about few things

First.
Level 10 in EF is it still beginner or intermediate or ...

Second.
Is this placement test in one EF branch has the same result of placement level if i did it in another EF branch ?
I will put it on more simple way, if today i did my placement test in EF Pondok Indah and i get level 8 in final evaluation. Can i get even better or worse placement level if i did it in EF Permata Hijau for example ?

Third.
My third question goes for both active student or former student of EF
Which level you are placed in your first placement test in EF ? and what age you was ?

Your answers or posts may useful for me, as input for me to take a course in EF
And sorry for my bad grammar ;p ...If momod by any chances think my thread is not on appropriate area, please move it accordingly
Thanks and best regards from me
p1nk3d_books - 22/07/2010 12:32 PM

1. You'd better ask EF's Customer Service or Front Desk Officer for this question since nobody here works in EF or know that deep about EF's way of levelling.
But IMO it looks quite high (as in intermediate and above)

2. It is possible. IMO, it's just the same like if you take IQ test. Your mood, your physical condition, your environment can affect the test result.
Moreover, if you have known the test questions already then go home, look for the correct answers in Google or grammar books, then you re-do the test somewhere else, then I believe there's a great chance that the result will improve.

3. I took my first Placement Test when I was in 1st grade of Junior High and the test said that I belonged to the 3rd level

Hope this helps. And your English is good btw. I suggest that you enroll to another private course since I got nothing in EF. The situation was fun, the friends were OK, the teachers were fine, but that's all.
ridanrekas - 22/07/2010 05:33 PM

I haven't try yet, but I think you have a good level
LadyElfstone - 22/07/2010 07:49 PM

I think that's an intermediate level or higher. If memory serves me correctly, I got level 5 when I took the test three years ago, and I was a bit better than a beginner even then.
KLanese - 16/08/2010 05:27 PM

-moved-
lovefinder - 19/08/2010 03:48 PM

Thank you very much for the information you share with us. Do you have any suggestions how to make a good preparation before taking the IELTS?

What are the differences between IELTS and TOEFL preparation?

beer: thanks:
KLanese - 19/08/2010 06:35 PM

-moved-
lovefinder - 19/08/2010 07:10 PM

How many years do I need to practice English to get fluent speaking like
you do? I hope I could do the same as you do in this few months. Sounds optimistic but unrealistic huh? You have an excellent English skill. :2thumbup

Anyway, I appreciate what you shared and I hope you keep the good work by giving more knowledge to us.

Thank you very much. If I need to ask somebody about IELTS, I will directly ask you. malus
KLanese - 19/08/2010 07:34 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By lovefinder
How many years do I need to practice English to get fluent speaking like
you do? I hope I could do the same as you do in this few months. Sounds optimistic but unrealistic huh? You have an excellent English skill. :2thumbup

Anyway, I appreciate what you shared and I hope you keep the good work by giving more knowledge to us.

Thank you very much. If I need to ask somebody about IELTS, I will directly ask you. malus

From the way you reply, you deserve to get 7+. Just set a strict studying schedule for 1-2 months before the test and practice a lot. Trust me beer:
iniadil2 - 20/08/2010 05:47 PM

good evening juragan , is toefl important ? because i want to take this course for fill my space time for a long long time , thanks ilovekaskus
Olli3 - 22/08/2010 10:41 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By iniadil2
good evening juragan , is toefl important ? because i want to take this course for fill my space time for a long long time , thanks ilovekaskus

Unless you are required to take TOEFL test sometime soon, there's no need in taking a course. TOEFL course is a short-term course and I can tell you that it's not fun as you'll be facing quite extensive study throughout your course period, which varies from 2 weeks - 6 months. Perhaps a conversation class will suit you better? There's nothing wrong in taking general English course either to kill the time.
KLanese - 23/08/2010 12:20 AM
Free links to iBT TOEFL Software+IELTS Materials
-moved-
KLanese - 27/08/2010 01:22 PM

-moved-
luka82 - 27/08/2010 03:24 PM

Thank you for the share. may i ask something? which one do you suggest to take between IELTS and IBT? I'm currently on hold for my admission process for master program abroad.They told me I need to have either IELTS or IBT score to be qualified rather than ITP that i currently have.

At first glance of course I choose IBT just because it has lower pricemalus
I already ask around in my city (medan) for september 2010 for information and those two tests are available. but with $195 for IELTS, I'm kind of taking one step back. I see that those two test share the same phase there are listening, reading, speaking and writing.what's the difference other than its price?
Olli3 - 28/08/2010 10:54 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By luka82
Thank you for the share. may i ask something? which one do you suggest to take between IELTS and IBT? I'm currently on hold for my admission process for master program abroad.They told me I need to have either IELTS or IBT score to be qualified rather than ITP that i currently have.

At first glance of course I choose IBT just because it has lower pricemalus
I already ask around in my city (medan) for september 2010 for information and those two tests are available. but with $195 for IELTS, I'm kind of taking one step back. I see that those two test share the same phase there are listening, reading, speaking and writing.what's the difference other than its price?

Here's what I got from Yahoo Answer:

Quote:

Please keep in mind that those exams do not provide certificates, but instead they issue a TRF (Test Result Form), which isn't quite the same although it's still widely accepted across the globe.

Although IELTS is a British/Australian exam and TOEFL is an American one, they're both accepted internationally. So, there are loads of colleges and institutions in the States that accept IELTS, and loads of Commonwealth ones accepting TOEFL.

Now, some stuff to think about (for the following comments, I'm only speaking about TOEFL IBT, which is quickly replacing the older PBT virtually everywhere):

* IELTS accepts both Commonwealth and American spelling; TOEFL only accepts the latter. If you write with American orthography (e.g. color, sulfur, edema), you'll be comfortable with either one; if you write with Commonwealth orthography (e.g. colour, sulphur, oedema), then TOEFL will be harder as you're gonna have to 'translate' many words.

* During the listening section, IELTS randomly employs a wide range of accents (English, Welsh, Scottish, American, Australian, Irish, New Zealand), some of which are rather informal. TOEFL uses Standard American almost exclusively. So, again, it's up to you.

* The speaking section of TOEFL IBT consists of talking to a mic (they record what you say and then assess it in New Jersey). IELTS consists of an interview. Moreover, TOEFL asks you to talk about chiefly academic matters (e.g. speak one minute about bee reproduction or a psychological bias), while IELTS (both Academic and General) has more quotidian questions (e.g. 'tell us about what you like to give and get as birthday present'). For many people, talking to a mic's better than face-to-face, for others, it's the other way around; same for the topics: many feel 'at home' when speaking about scientific topics but get confused with a more everyday dialogue, or viceversa... so, again it's up to you.

* TOEFL is cheaper, quicker to take (about 3 hours, a little more or a little less), and results get to you in less time. Moreover, it's graded from 0 to 120, which is much more precise than from 0 to 9 (although it's got half-bands). In spite of that, many people still prefer IELTS and feel the extra money spent is worth it.

Of course, there's also the chance of sitting both... that way you'll be way more competitive - many people have aced the IELTS, many people have aced the TOEFL, relatively few have aced both.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091014234231AAJHv4p
umur - 28/08/2010 02:03 PM

sight.... those two topics makes me dizzy now. i don't know where can I start my lesson to kill both of them, or one of them D
KLanese - 28/08/2010 02:15 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By umur
sight.... those two topics makes me dizzy now. i don't know where can I start my lesson to kill both of them, or one of them D

LOL! which do you find easier for you? multiple choice or fill in blanks (short answers)? If you find the multiple choice format easier just take iBT TOEFL then D

Btw, also have a look at the school requirements. iBT TOEFL or IELTS? don't get the wrong choice shakehand
p1nk3d_books - 28/08/2010 09:56 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By KLanese
There is no trick, just familiarize with each module. They provide study material, one should read the book nicely to get familiar with what it is all about. it is very simple, no great shakes, go calm and one can easily manage 7+. make sure you do not use abbreviations as we do when we are chatting or writing emails. when i had to take the IELTS, I made sure i gave attention to my grammar, no shortcuts when it comes to words etc.

If you don't feel confident, there are options to take IELTS training but trust me that is just a money making gimmick.. a month before taking the test read an English newspaper aloud everyday, that is far better than taking training. But again for me it is easier to say since I studied in English medium all my life, I read a lot, I read novels and anything and everything and have been doing that since forever now. If nothing else I start reading a dictionary D I am not saying my grammar is the best. I made such blunders but I made sure I then corrected myself a month before I took the test and this went on till the date of the test. I used to speak to my friends and everyone else only in English (I am very confident but when u know u r being tested, one can get conscious).

My advice is to practice as much as you can. I downloaded all the Cambridge practice test books (there are 7 of then) from the internet and did at least 10 tests by myself at home. In my opinion, it's the best way to get good band scores in reading and listening because the questions in these sections are formulated in a way you just need to get used to.

For writing, it's more tricky, just have a look at good sample essays you find on the internet and try to write a few by yourself until you feel comfortable with it. Try to time yourself, remember that you've got only one hour for two essays on the day of the test and it's not that easy to finish in time.

For speaking, it's more difficult to practice unless you know a fluent speaker and can talk to him regularly. I found the 2nd part of speaking the most difficult, talking for 2 minutes on a given subject. You need to think fast and make up a story that can keep you going for two minutes. Don't worry if you have occasional slips, if you're not a native speaker, it's not that bad, the most important is to keep talking and to reply with good arguments to the questions asked.

Please tell me where to DL them.
Suddenly got an offer to teach privately a brother-in-law-to-be who will undergo IELTS Test soon nohope:
umur - 29/08/2010 11:47 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By KLanese
LOL! which do you find easier for you? multiple choice or fill in blanks (short answers)? If you find the multiple choice format easier just take iBT TOEFL then D

Btw, also have a look at the school requirements. iBT TOEFL or IELTS? don't get the wrong choice shakehand

both is available at the school requirement. think multiple choise format is eaesier for me. yipppy!! thanks iloveindonesia iloveindonesia iloveindonesia iloveindonesia
luka82 - 29/08/2010 01:02 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Olli3
Here's what I got from Yahoo Answer:

thank you for this. frankly i think i have both advantages and disadvantages among both tests. My Opinion :
1. I'm more comfortable with American spelling. rather than 'programme', i prefer 'program'. its more shorter :P
2. For the accents, it's all fine by me. I've been accustom with many audio visual products from different countries. for example I do not exclusively just watch American movies, but i also enjoy British or Australian movies. Although i never watch Welsh, Scottish, Irish, or New Zealand movies. they say Welsh or Scottish is more harder than British.is it true?
3. Now this is one for IELTS. I mean I think I won't be comfortable talking to small object rather than human being.
Also I prefer talking about everyday dialogue rather than talking science that I'm not familiar with.
4. $165 vs $ 195. Of course i prefer the cheaper one.
But i think the answer got it wrong.From official guide, if maximum time is reached, then IBT will take 250 minutes. Comparing with IELTS which only take 164 minutes, I think I prefer the quicker onePeace:

I'm confused now after reading "c.racking IBT..." by princeton. In first chapter it says that there'll be penalty for wrong answer.
(page 5 : You will get a point for each correct answer and a penalty for each incorrect answer).
Is it true? If it is, then I think IBT is much more harder than IELTS hammers
Page 3 of 42 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]