English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 31 of 42 | ‹ First  < 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 >  Last ›

1stlph - 26/10/2011 05:12 PM

hey guys, i just want to ask about the speaking section of the current iBT,,,

do you have any difficulties regarding this one?

well, the truth is i'm a little bit scared of the idea scoring the test with speaking ability,

i've tried several unofficial paper based tests before, usually my scores are around 570, but then i think that comparing pBT and iBT is not enough because of the speaking,

thanks
restar - 26/10/2011 07:00 PM

huaaa... i just received my toefl score.. i only got 82, which is equal to 553 according to page one.. drop 51 points from 604 in pbt..

oh well, i'll kill the test next year.. my target is 100 mad: army:

what i can tell from what i've experienced are:
1. don't drink expired milk before entering the test hammer: (true story, i accidentally drank expired ready-to-drink milk while waiting and it gave my annoying stomachache.. it's like in naruto episode.. stupid hammer: )
2. sleep enough.. it's quite exhausting (for me).. don't stay late even though your football team played one day before the test malu:
3. do the test or you won't get the score D
4. for reading, well, skim the passage, understand what it tells you about.. don't mind about the time, i mean, it's useless if you do it fast but you have no idea what you answered.. well, just balance it.. i got the 2nd highest score in this section..
5. listening is the easiest part. just listen and answer.
6. speaking..my 1st Achilles heel.. my hands were cold, my brain went dead, but the show must go on.. i got "fair" in this section, so i've no capacity in giving tips.. in my defense, it would be difficult for non-native speaker who don't use english as everyday language..
7. writing is my next weakness.. i thought i gave my best effort, but it has the lowest score in all sections.. so, i also need more practices in this section..

hmm.. well, that's all.. not too shabby i guess, but i still not happy enough with the result.. darn..

the participants aside me were men, so, there's no mood booster.. it's like sausagefest in there.. i wonder if there were girls, maybe i can be more energetic in doing the test ngakak
(joke.. Peace: )

ok, may the force be with u, kaskusers..
please share your story about the test here, so agan Klanese can merge them and (hopefully) can help other fellow kaskusers.. D
1stlph - 26/10/2011 08:06 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By restar

what i can tell from what i've experienced are:

3. do the test or you won't get the score D

6. speaking..my 1st Achilles heel.. my hands were cold, my brain went dead, but the show must go on.. i got "fair" in this section, so i've no capacity in giving tips.. in my defense, it would be difficult for non-native speaker who don't use english as everyday language..

7. writing is my next weakness.. i thought i gave my best effort, but it has the lowest score in all sections.. so, i also need more practices in this section..

hi restar,

3. so do you think that i have to answer all the questions whether it's right or wrong (indonesian: jawab ngawur)

6. can you describe it a little bit specific in here? i mean what were the difficulties, suddenly forgot the words? couldn't answer right to the point?
i'd be glad if you share to us about what held you back there, so we can prepare according to that.

7. almost the same question as above. i mean, did they tell you the mistakes or what went wrong?

well i just think that your score is quite good and i'm not bother trying to cheer you up because i'm not good in it. thanks for your share anyway
restar - 26/10/2011 09:01 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By 1stlph
hi restar,

3. so do you think that i have to answer all the questions whether it's right or wrong (indonesian: jawab ngawur)

6. can you describe it a little bit specific in here? i mean what were the difficulties, suddenly forgot the words? couldn't answer right to the point?
i'd be glad if you share to us about what held you back there, so we can prepare according to that.

7. almost the same question as above. i mean, did they tell you the mistakes or what went wrong?

well i just think that your score is quite good and i'm not bother trying to cheer you up because i'm not good in it. thanks for your share anyway

3. hmm.. i don't know exactly whether there is minus point for answering wrong, but yeah, i answered them all.. even though i am not sure 100% if those answers're right/wrong.. maybe "sesepuh" of this thread can help in explaining about minus point..

6. i think the problem is i'm not accustomed to speak in such short preparation.. speaking section is a combination of listening and well, speaking.. after listening for some time, you have to re-tell it in your words.. quite challenging..

7. i think they want us to write (perhaps) in more academic way, i mean, like those report in journals (u know, when you search for references for your skripsi/thesis), or wall street journal.. i bet if you can write like that, you'll get high or even perfect score.. D

thank u, your comment has cheered me up D but still, i shall bring my revenge next year..

just do it gan.. can't wait to hear your story..
1stlph - 27/10/2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

thank u, your comment has cheered me up D but still, i shall bring my revenge next year..

just do it gan.. can't wait to hear your story..

wow i think you're sepuh already, your id # tells me, even my prime id is less sepuh than yours \)

and with your current score and experiences, plus a year worth preparation, i'm sure you'll score more than 120 beer:

back to ibt, you made the listening section sound like a piece of cake, any tips about this? what about the longer conversation? or the super ultra boring lectures in class? (i DID fell asleep when i was cramming for these ones)

yeah i have to take the test ASAP anyway, maybe next month takuts
restar - 27/10/2011 10:24 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By 1stlph
wow i think you're sepuh already, your id # tells me, even my prime id is less sepuh than yours \)

and with your current score and experiences, plus a year worth preparation, i'm sure you'll score more than 120 beer:

back to ibt, you made the listening section sound like a piece of cake, any tips about this? what about the longer conversation? or the super ultra boring lectures in class? (i DID fell asleep when i was cramming for these ones)

yeah i have to take the test ASAP anyway, maybe next month takuts

nay, i'm just common kaskuser here.. D amiin gan, thanks for the support, my goal is only for 100, i'll be doing salto if i get 120 D

for listening, hmm.. well, if you have cable tv in your home, practice using it.. don't just watch star world or hbo.. watch the boring ones, such as cnn, bloomberg, bbc.. usually the length of a news is pretty much the same with a passage/conversation in listening section.. or practice by not sleeping when your lecturer is blabbering about something D (are you international undergraduate student? like binus int'l?)

it's true that none of the conversations in ibt can be considered as exciting.. those conversations were sooooooooo lame and boring, just like cnn's news.. i even already forget.. D

if you register online, you can book your time up to 3 months from now (cmiiw), because when i registered 2 weeks a go, i booked for 9 of oct (if im not mistaken) until december.. for precaution maybe if i must travel somewhere, my payment wouldn't be gone/burnt.. just try it, you can use fake id and email if you wanna check it..
KLanese - 28/10/2011 02:54 PM

Quote:
nay, i'm just common kaskuser here.. D amiin gan, thanks for the support, my goal is only for 100, i'll be doing salto if i get 120 D

for listening, hmm.. well, if you have cable tv in your home, practice using it.. don't just watch star world or hbo.. watch the boring ones, such as cnn, bloomberg, bbc.. usually the length of a news is pretty much the same with a passage/conversation in listening section.. or practice by not sleeping when your lecturer is blabbering about something D (are you international undergraduate student? like binus int'l?)

it's true that none of the conversations in ibt can be considered as exciting.. those conversations were sooooooooo lame and boring, just like cnn's news.. i even already forget.. D

if you register online, you can book your time up to 3 months from now (cmiiw), because when i registered 2 weeks a go, i booked for 9 of oct (if im not mistaken) until december.. for precaution maybe if i must travel somewhere, my payment wouldn't be gone/burnt.. just try it, you can use fake id and email if you wanna check it..

So, the score was 82? Can we please know the breakdown D
genzoeri - 28/10/2011 04:08 PM

anyone here wanna take course of toefl preparation ?
restar - 28/10/2011 04:16 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By KLanese
So, the score was 82? Can we please know the breakdown D

i'm sorry.. i don't think i can give it.. \) i only can say that my speaking n writing need to be improved..

maybe next year, gan.. \)

there are 4 sections.. so, if you can get 25 for each section, you'll get 100.. the perfect score is 120..
KLanese - 30/10/2011 12:09 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By genzoeri
anyone here wanna take course of toefl preparation ?

how about you? D
kraitong - 30/10/2011 10:57 PM

Guys,

Thanks for all information in page one. I have some few questions regarding IBT or Toefl test , hope all experienced test takers would kindly answer it.

1. Which test place would be a good place for taking IBT test? Like the capacity , facility, noise, space between test taker, or pro cons . I live nearby roxy mas.

2. The test is quite expensive so any of you know about IBT prediction test not the ITP? Better to know little about your english skills before taking the test. Do you have any suggestions where i can take it or any information about it. I already scored 553 in ITP test.

Thanks .
ivandjaw - 31/10/2011 05:19 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By kraitong
Guys,

Thanks for all information in page one. I have some few questions regarding IBT or Toefl test , hope all experienced test takers would kindly answer it.

1. Which test place would be a good place for taking IBT test? Like the capacity , facility, noise, space between test taker, or pro cons . I live nearby roxy mas.

2. The test is quite expensive so any of you know about IBT prediction test not the ITP? Better to know little about your english skills before taking the test. Do you have any suggestions where i can take it or any information about it. I already scored 553 in ITP test.

Thanks .

1. Each place has its own pros & cons. The most important thing is to make sure that you yourself are well prepared and ready to take the test, then the venue won't really matter.

2. Yes, the test is quite expensive because it is recognized by university and also MNC worldwide. I'm not sure about the prediction test, but i have heard that some university do have this kind of test for their student (and sometimes open for public) so that they can avoid the expensive cost of taking TOEFL test.
P4BL0 - 31/10/2011 08:26 AM

Folks, I just had my TOEFL iBT yesterday at UPI, Bandung

The Reading and Listening were quite well.
I had three reading passages (no additional experimental passages).

The Speaking Section did not go very well.
I just realized that a formal and spontaneous question would really make me nervous.
It was the most terrible section out of the four.
I should have practiced more.

The Writing went okay.
I think my first is better than the second.
It turned out that 30 minutes was not enough for me to develop a 500-word passage. I did not even do spell check before the time ran out.

Well, que sera sera.
I admit that I did not prepare very well.
I just learned the pattern of the iBT from YouTube.
We'll see the result in the next two weeks.
KLanese - 31/10/2011 09:44 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By ivandjaw
1. Each place has its own pros & cons. The most important thing is to make sure that you yourself are well prepared and ready to take the test, then the venue won't really matter.

2. Yes, the test is quite expensive because it is recognized by university and also MNC worldwide. I'm not sure about the prediction test, but i have heard that some university do have this kind of test for their student (and sometimes open for public) so that they can avoid the expensive cost of taking TOEFL test.

agreed to gan ivan shakehand:
long time no see gan D

Quote:
Original Posted By P4BL0
Folks, I just had my TOEFL iBT yesterday at UPI, Bandung

The Reading and Listening were quite well.
I had three reading passages (no additional experimental passages).

The Speaking Section did not go very well.
I just realized that a formal and spontaneous question would really make me nervous.
It was the most terrible section out of the four.
I should have practiced more.

The Writing went okay.
I think my first is better than the second.
It turned out that 30 minutes was not enough for me to develop a 500-word passage. I did not even do spell check before the time ran out.

Well, que sera sera.
I admit that I did not prepare very well.
I just learned the pattern of the iBT from YouTube.
We'll see the result in the next two weeks.

well, did you use your time effectively by jotting down the keywords on the listening discussions and lectures?
If not, just hope that you really have a powerful memory to answer the quetions D
Don't forget to take note. It's essential beer:

about your writing (having said that you composed about 500 words, I assume that was more than enough)
iBT TOEFL essay writing (task2) is highly concerned more on the grammar, vocab enhancement, and paragraph developing. No need to extent to abundant words which seemed a bit overlapping.

More words = more mistakes D
ivandjaw - 31/10/2011 11:32 AM

Quote:
agreed to gan ivan shakehand:
long time no see gan D

well, did you use your time effectively by jotting down the keywords on the listening discussions and lectures?
If not, just hope that you really have a powerful memory to answer the quetions D
Don't forget to take note. It's essential beer:

about your writing (having said that you composed about 500 words, I assume that was more than enough)
iBT TOEFL essay writing (task2) is highly concerned more on the grammar, vocab enhancement, and paragraph developing. No need to extent to abundant words which seemed a bit overlapping.

halo gan! yeah, actually i'm still around but i was quite busy recently that I hardly have some free time to read all the forums that I usually read..

anyway, i agree with agan Klanese, for writing section make sure you write a good, understandable, and concise essay. Don't ever try to go for long essay or even using fancy words if you are not sure what they really mean, because these kind of things may turn out to kill yourself rather than to make the grader impressed cendolb
9Dayz - 01/11/2011 02:01 PM

More words = more mistakes D[/QUOTE]

DOWN to that! Too much bragging means either cocky or suicidal! hahahahahaha!

BTW gan, i'm looking for test site in Batam city area, on the 1st page u mention UIB, but how do u get that info anyway??! i can't find it anywhere on the net and been roaming clueless on that weird looking campus!
\)b\)b\)b\)b

Penting ga penting neh gan capedes, as myjapanese overtaking the english part of my brain, i felt myenglish pronunciation going WEIRD! hahahahahha and so my Indonesian accent hahahahahah... But if any of you guys wanna ask more about Noryoku Shiken or JLPT and kanji, i'm glad to answer! hahahahaha...........
Magnesyum - 01/11/2011 03:54 PM

excuse me.
Now I do some TOEFL practice in "99,99% sukses TOEFL", and I get some problem here, I've checked that I get 52 in Section 1 or listening, 51 in structure or written expression, and the last is section 3 - writing, but in writing section, have 60 question, but in toefl score conversion table, there isn't 60 there, so how do I count it? .
please correct me, if my word is wrong

permisis
sekarang ane lagi ngerjain soal latian toefl di buku 99,99% sukses toefl, dan ane dapet masalah disini, ane telah ngecek ane dapet score 52 di listening,51 di structure,tapi yang terakhir ane bingung, soalnya kan soal ada 60 terus di table conversion nya gak ada jumlah bener diatas 50, terus gimana dong gan?
KLanese - 01/11/2011 04:47 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By 9Dayz

DOWN to that! Too much bragging means either cocky or suicidal! hahahahahaha!

BTW gan, i'm looking for test site in Batam city area, on the 1st page u mention UIB, but how do u get that info anyway??! i can't find it anywhere on the net and been roaming clueless on that weird looking campus!
\)b\)b\)b\)b

Penting ga penting neh gan capedes, as myjapanese overtaking the english part of my brain, i felt myenglish pronunciation going WEIRD! hahahahahha and so my Indonesian accent hahahahahah... But if any of you guys wanna ask more about Noryoku Shiken or JLPT and kanji, i'm glad to answer! hahahahaha...........

Just give UIB a call for booking seat. Anyway, some institutions aren't scheduled on the mentioned complete test dates as stated on page1.

So, you are good at Japenese huh?
good to you to be a multilingual speaker, not easy I know D

Quote:
Original Posted By Magnesyum
excuse me.
Now I do some TOEFL practice in "99,99% sukses TOEFL", and I get some problem here, I've checked that I get 52 in Section 1 or listening, 51 in structure or written expression, and the last is section 3 - writing, but in writing section, have 60 question, but in toefl score conversion table, there isn't 60 there, so how do I count it? .
please correct me, if my word is wrong

permisis
sekarang ane lagi ngerjain soal latian toefl di buku 99,99% sukses toefl, dan ane dapet masalah disini, ane telah ngecek ane dapet score 52 di listening,51 di structure,tapi yang terakhir ane bingung, soalnya kan soal ada 60 terus di table conversion nya gak ada jumlah bener diatas 50, terus gimana dong gan?

Mmm...lemme repeat it to clarify

Converted Score:

1. Listening = 52
2. Structure= 51
3. Reading = .......??
4. Writing (TWE) you got 60 numbers?? sure about that??

Pls check for the 2nd time shakehand
Magnesyum - 01/11/2011 05:43 PM

Quote:
Just give UIB a call for booking seat. Anyway, some institutions aren't scheduled on the mentioned complete test dates as stated on page1.

So, you are good at Japenese huh?
good to you to be a multilingual speaker, not easy I know D

Mmm...lemme repeat it to clarify

Converted Score:

1. Listening = 52
2. Structure= 51
3. Reading = .......??
4. Writing (TWE) you got 60 numbers?? sure about that??

Pls check for the 2nd time shakehand

I'm not get it, because there are 60 question about reading comprehension, so how do I count? the first 30 question is about vocabulary, and last 30 is about reading.

ex. for vocabulary

both boats and trains are used for transporting the material
a. planes
b. ships
c. cars
d. railroads

and the correct answer is b, because it have the same meaning with the underlined word.

and the last 30 is like generally, there are some paragraph and we have to answer some question about the paragraph.

but in 60 question , i just got 46 right answer.
KLanese - 01/11/2011 05:55 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Magnesyum
I'm not get it, because there are 60 question about reading comprehension, so how do I count? the first 30 question is about vocabulary, and last 30 is about reading.

ex. for vocabulary

both boats and trains are used for transporting the material
a. planes
b. ships
c. cars
d. railroads

and the correct answer is b, because it have the same meaning with the underlined word.

and the last 30 is like generally, there are some paragraph and we have to answer some question about the paragraph.

but in 60 question , i just got 46 right answer.

the last section should be Reading Comprehension (50 numbers/5 passages)

I guess it's a modification on the model. No prob then. so, there were 60 questions (vocab+reading) and you made 46 numbers correct means 77% accuracy. If it is converted in PBT score, it'll be around 54

Your raw score is: 51+52+54/3 x 10 = 523 (IMO)
Page 31 of 42 | ‹ First  < 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]