English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 32 of 42 | ‹ First  < 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 >  Last ›

Magnesyum - 01/11/2011 06:09 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By KLanese
the last section should be Reading Comprehension (50 numbers/5 passages)

I guess it's a modification on the model. No prob then. so, there were 60 questions (vocab+reading) and you made 46 numbers correct means 77% accuracy. If it is converted in PBT score, it'll be around 54

Your raw score is: 51+52+54/3 x 10 = 523 (IMO)

thank you so much shakehand:

by the way, what book do you suggest, the best book to practice and learn TOEFL?. I have to got the score certificate before the middle of this November.
KLanese - 01/11/2011 07:45 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Magnesyum
thank you so much shakehand:

by the way, what book do you suggest, the best book to practice and learn TOEFL?. I have to got the score certificate before the middle of this November.

Certificate for overseas studies or local studies? if overseas, you must register for iBT TOEFL. for local, you can apply for institutional PBT TOEFL in some English courses
restar - 05/11/2011 12:00 AM

gans, why, up until now, i haven't received my certificate by mail yet? can i phone ETS imperium? how to check it? thank uuuu...

Quote:
Original Posted By kraitong
Guys,

Thanks for all information in page one. I have some few questions regarding IBT or Toefl test , hope all experienced test takers would kindly answer it.

1. Which test place would be a good place for taking IBT test? Like the capacity , facility, noise, space between test taker, or pro cons . I live nearby roxy mas.

2. The test is quite expensive so any of you know about IBT prediction test not the ITP? Better to know little about your english skills before taking the test. Do you have any suggestions where i can take it or any information about it. I already scored 553 in ITP test.

Thanks .

i took the test in gunadarma because imperium was full.. gunadarma is okay, but the room is quite small, so for the speaking part, you must concentrate more, because your fellow toefl test takers are more likely on the same section, and it might distract you.. i dunno about the room in impeirum or any other places in jabotabek..

Quote:
Original Posted By P4BL0
Folks, I just had my TOEFL iBT yesterday at UPI, Bandung

The Reading and Listening were quite well.
I had three reading passages (no additional experimental passages).

The Speaking Section did not go very well.
I just realized that a formal and spontaneous question would really make me nervous.
It was the most terrible section out of the four.
I should have practiced more.

The Writing went okay.
I think my first is better than the second.
It turned out that 30 minutes was not enough for me to develop a 500-word passage. I did not even do spell check before the time ran out.

Well, que sera sera.
I admit that I did not prepare very well.
I just learned the pattern of the iBT from YouTube.
We'll see the result in the next two weeks.

can't wait to hear more stories.. beer:
que sera sera, indeed..

Quote:

about your writing (having said that you composed about 500 words, I assume that was more than enough)
iBT TOEFL essay writing (task2) is highly concerned more on the grammar, vocab enhancement, and paragraph developing. No need to extent to abundant words which seemed a bit overlapping.

More words = more mistakes D

Quote:
Original Posted By ivandjaw
halo gan! yeah, actually i'm still around but i was quite busy recently that I hardly have some free time to read all the forums that I usually read..

anyway, i agree with agan Klanese, for writing section make sure you write a good, understandable, and concise essay. Don't ever try to go for long essay or even using fancy words if you are not sure what they really mean, because these kind of things may turn out to kill yourself rather than to make the grader impressed cendolb

i doooooo agree... more words = more mistakes..

for me, write up to the required words.. 500 if i'm not mistaken..
but i dunno, i mean, if i write 450 words, eventhough it's in okay level, but it won't go to next writing topic, right? (cmiiw, it has 2 topics in writing section)

Quote:
Certificate for overseas studies or local studies? if overseas, you must register for iBT TOEFL. for local, you can apply for institutional PBT TOEFL in some English courses

if you only need it for applying jobs, i think 450-500 is the range.. 550 in some
multinational companies..
ivandjaw - 05/11/2011 03:14 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By restar
gans, why, up until now, i haven't received my certificate by mail yet? can i phone ETS imperium? how to check it? thank uuuu...

i took the test in gunadarma because imperium was full.. gunadarma is okay, but the room is quite small, so for the speaking part, you must concentrate more, because your fellow toefl test takers are more likely on the same section, and it might distract you.. i dunno about the room in impeirum or any other places in jabotabek..

can't wait to hear more stories.. beer:
que sera sera, indeed..

i doooooo agree... more words = more mistakes..

for me, write up to the required words.. 500 if i'm not mistaken..
but i dunno, i mean, if i write 450 words, eventhough it's in okay level, but it won't go to next writing topic, right? (cmiiw, it has 2 topics in writing section)

if you only need it for applying jobs, i think 450-500 is the range.. 550 in some
multinational companies..

well, you can always try to call them to inquire why you haven't receive your hardcopy result, but from experience, it take longer time to send the certificate to Indonesia as it must go through a lot of places from ETS' headquarter in NJ before you can receive it.

well, i would assure you that most of the places for TOEFL test is about the same, even when you take the test overseas (I took my TOEFL test overseas) it really doesn't help that much capedes
the most important thing is really to prepare yourself because if you are well-prepared, not even a storm can halt you to get the perfect score you deserve Yb

More words doesn't mean more mistakes, it just increase the risk of making unnecessary mistakes, however if your english is awesome, you can always smoke more in order to impress the grader. remember, the most important thing in TOEFL's writing is to impress the grader and most of the time, the grader will be graduate students who are either working full-time or part-time at ETS cendolb

TOEFL is important in the sense that it really show how proficient are you in communicating (communicating = speaking + writing + listening + reading) in English, if you are planning to work for a multi national company or studying in overseas universities whose mother's tongue language is English, then it become even more crucial since you can't live / work without communicating with each other cendols
restar - 05/11/2011 09:44 AM

Quote:
well, you can always try to call them to inquire why you haven't receive your hardcopy result, but from experience, it take longer time to send the certificate to Indonesia as it must go through a lot of places from ETS' headquarter in NJ before you can receive it.

well, i would assure you that most of the places for TOEFL test is about the same, even when you take the test overseas (I took my TOEFL test overseas) it really doesn't help that much capedes
the most important thing is really to prepare yourself because if you are well-prepared, not even a storm can halt you to get the perfect score you deserve Yb

More words doesn't mean more mistakes, it just increase the risk of making unnecessary mistakes, however if your english is awesome, you can always smoke more in order to impress the grader. remember, the most important thing in TOEFL's writing is to impress the grader and most of the time, the grader will be graduate students who are either working full-time or part-time at ETS cendolb

TOEFL is important in the sense that it really show how proficient are you in communicating (communicating = speaking + writing + listening + reading) in English, if you are planning to work for a multi national company or studying in overseas universities whose mother's tongue language is English, then it become even more crucial since you can't live / work without communicating with each other cendols

it's been 3 weeks, that's why i'm asking about the certificate via mail.. do they send it from US? why don't they just inform ETS indo about the toefl test takers' data, then print it here? anyway, how long does this process take place?

to other agans, based on agan ivandjaw info, there's no difference in term of toefl test place.. so, just pick which one that you want..

related to writing, may i know, which english learning institution would be the best way to help me to improve my english? is it EF/LIA/ILP/others? i had my toefl prep at EF but it took months to cover all materials in toefl.. i just wanna
help in the writing section..

i agree about the importance of english in communicating, esp if you're working in a company which use english as daily language..
ivandjaw - 05/11/2011 11:27 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By restar
it's been 3 weeks, that's why i'm asking about the certificate via mail.. do they send it from US? why don't they just inform ETS indo about the toefl test takers' data, then print it here? anyway, how long does this process take place?

to other agans, based on agan ivandjaw info, there's no difference in term of toefl test place.. so, just pick which one that you want..

related to writing, may i know, which english learning institution would be the best way to help me to improve my english? is it EF/LIA/ILP/others? i had my toefl prep at EF but it took months to cover all materials in toefl.. i just wanna
help in the writing section..

i agree about the importance of english in communicating, esp if you're working in a company which use english as daily language..

well, the only difference if you take your test overseas is the test takers. In my case, there are a lot of test takers coming from many different countries, thus during the speaking section you will hear a lot of different english accent according to where they come from (it can be annoying for some people capedes, luckily i'm already somewhat used to that Yb). In this sense, i think it's better to take it in indonesia as you will hear your peers speaking somewhat in the same accent cendolb

anyway, yea they send the certificate from US (ETS' headquarter is in New Jersey, USA), and since it is a formal and recognized certificate, they can't really joking around with that, they really have a strict rule and regulation in conferring a certificate. Moreover, ETS in Indonesia (which is located at Menara Imperium to be exact) is just an agent representative, they are not really ETS, but they are given the right by ETS to conduct and administrate all TOEFL and other tests (GRE, GMAT, etc.) from ETS in Indonesia. You can always contact them and inquire / complaint about your problem, especially if you register for TOEFL test directly from them (you pay for it, thus it is always your right to ask them). They should have some way to help you or worst case, they will ask you to contact ETS by yourself iloveindonesias

for writing, i dont have any idea which institution is better since i have never attended any of those, but i think the best way is to learn it from a native speaker (well, it may cost a little bit expensive in Indonesia though), they really help a lot especially to know the right way to construct a correct paragraph. Otherwise, you can always check from the internet about the correct norm of writing, try to search the term "Purdue OWL" in google, it is a massive library that will help you to improve your writing iloveindonesias

hope this helps cendols

edited: anyway i just realized, 3 weeks? i think 3 weeks is still considered acceptable. ETS don't use courier service such as FedEx or DHL to send the certificate, they just use a normal registered airmail and as what I have stated before that it's a little bit complicated to send a registered airmail to Indonesia from USA, especially our local postal company is not as professional as theirs capedes
geniusdexter - 05/11/2011 03:15 PM

Got my ielts score yesterday, it was quite satisfying genit: although it actually could be higher.

Listening: 7.5
Reading: 7.5
Writing: 7.0
speaking: 6.0 hammer: (I was too tense during the interview \()
Overall band score: 7.0

And thank god, provided i pass UAN, I can continue my study abroad! yay! genit:
p3n4kluk - 06/11/2011 01:48 AM

I had my IELTS test years ago, and the score is acceptable, overall 7 (Listening 8, reading 7, writing 7, speaking 6.5). I'm a bit disappointed with the speaking part, you see previously I don't have any problem with speaking. But as an Indonesian, I rarely get any chance to really communicate in English. So after so many years, I must admit that my tongue was a bis rusty (as if the things that I wanted to speak out didn't sound as fluent as it used to be / I was a bit too optimistic). Another thing is the topic, it was about my favorite novels and since I don't read any novel it did caught me off guard. So my advice: practice speaking few hours before the test and try to be prepared with the usual interview topics (I didn't, just went in without any preparation what so ever). It's OK to lie, so be prepared with a bunch of lies. I found it a bit difficult to make up things when you're actually being interviewed. Just want to share my experience guys.
KLanese - 07/11/2011 09:31 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By geniusdexter
Got my ielts score yesterday, it was quite satisfying genit: although it actually could be higher.

Listening: 7.5
Reading: 7.5
Writing: 7.0
speaking: 6.0 hammer: (I was too tense during the interview \()
Overall band score: 7.0

And thank god, provided i pass UAN, I can continue my study abroad! yay! genit:

nice job! no share of the ways you prepared for the IELTS? D

Quote:
Original Posted By p3n4kluk
I had my IELTS test years ago, and the score is acceptable, overall 7 (Listening 8, reading 7, writing 7, speaking 6.5). I'm a bit disappointed with the speaking part, you see previously I don't have any problem with speaking. But as an Indonesian, I rarely get any chance to really communicate in English. So after so many years, I must admit that my tongue was a bis rusty (as if the things that I wanted to speak out didn't sound as fluent as it used to be / I was a bit too optimistic). Another thing is the topic, it was about my favorite novels and since I don't read any novel it did caught me off guard. So my advice: practice speaking few hours before the test and try to be prepared with the usual interview topics (I didn't, just went in without any preparation what so ever). It's OK to lie, so be prepared with a bunch of lies. I found it a bit difficult to make up things when you're actually being interviewed. Just want to share my experience guys.

practice speaking few hours before the test and try to be prepared with the usual interview topics (I didn't, just went in without any preparation what so ever). It's OK to lie, so be prepared with a bunch of lies. I found it a bit difficult to make up things when you're actually being interviewed.

A white lie works well in some situations D
thanks for the tips beer:
deVilos - 07/11/2011 11:00 AM

wow.. everyone talked about IELTS
i dont know anything about it. someone know what is the different between IELTS and TOEFL.
and which one is more difficult?
azetalfa - 07/11/2011 01:00 PM

I will have my first IBT TOEFL in this week ? I've never take the test like this before. I heard that it is more difficult than PBT one...is that right?
could you give me some advices (any kind of tricks and trips) to me so that I can pass the test in order to get a good score...Thanks :beer

p.s : I just take a briefly course for the exam...(only one week berdukas)
azetalfa - 07/11/2011 01:01 PM

I'm sorry it's dopost D
ivandjaw - 07/11/2011 01:10 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By deVilos
wow.. everyone talked about IELTS
i dont know anything about it. someone know what is the different between IELTS and TOEFL.
and which one is more difficult?

i think it has been extensively discussed before, try to scroll to the previous page and read about it, i'm quite sure u will have some idea of the differences and which one suit you most depending on your situation.

Quote:
Original Posted By azetalfa
I will have my first IBT TOEFL in this week ? I've never take the test like this before. I heard that it is more difficult than PBT one...is that right?
could you give me some advices (any kind of tricks and trips) to me so that I can pass the test in order to get a good score...Thanks :beer

p.s : I just take a briefly course for the exam...(only one week berdukas)

well, 1 week into the test and you are still unprepared? unless you are used to communicate in english, then i wish u all the best cendolb

for tips and tricks, there are a lot of them and it has been discussed in the previous posts (try to scroll back a few pages and read all of them), there are a lot of tips and tricks given by fellow kaskusers here cendolb
azetalfa - 07/11/2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

well, 1 week into the test and you are still unprepared? unless you are used to communicate in english, then i wish u all the best cendolb

for tips and tricks, there are a lot of them and it has been discussed in the previous posts (try to scroll back a few pages and read all of them), there are a lot of tips and tricks given by fellow kaskusers here cendolb

okay, thanks for the suggest, I'll try it..hopefully I'll get a good results...
KLanese - 08/11/2011 01:33 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By azetalfa
okay, thanks for the suggest, I'll try it..hopefully I'll get a good results...

good luck anyway beer:
ivandjaw - 09/11/2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

A white lie works well in some situations D
thanks for the tips beer:

well yeah, it is considered a white lie, but essentially it is not necessarily a lie because in IELTS test, the main purpose of the interview is to analyze how proficient and fluent you are in listening and responding to a question in a correct and understandable way. I bet that the interviewer doesn't really care & even want to know if you are actually answering the question honestly, as long as you are answering the question logically and in a right way from linguistic point of view, you should be able to get a high score. this kind of interview is totally different from a job interview / scholarship interview where the interviewer really want to know your personality and other stuff. iloveindonesias
P4BL0 - 09/11/2011 03:11 PM

I woke up at 2am this morning just to unplug my cellphone from the charger.
I was surprised that I got email from ETS saying that the result is already available online. But I was too sleepy to feel the "excitement" (or should I say "worry"?).
It means it took 10 days from the test day to the online result, not two weeks as mentioned in the website.

This morning, finally I dared myself to go to ets.org/toefl
Thank God, I got 89. (just one bit higher than the Erasmus Mundus Scholarship requirements). It could be higher with better preparations, though.

In fact, the Speaking and the Reading sections were the worst among others. I was a bit surprised with the result for the Reading Section since I felt a bit confident on this.
Writing section is the best one (another surprise, I thought that the Listening would be the best one).

Now I'm finalizing all the required documents. I postponed doing it to wait for the result of my iBT.

I hereby thank agan-agan here for the inputs and insights.
iloveindonesiascendolbYb Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
restar - 09/11/2011 09:40 PM

Quote:
well, the only difference if you take your test overseas is the test takers. In my case, there are a lot of test takers coming from many different countries, thus during the speaking section you will hear a lot of different english accent according to where they come from (it can be annoying for some people capedes, luckily i'm already somewhat used to that Yb). In this sense, i think it's better to take it in indonesia as you will hear your peers speaking somewhat in the same accent cendolb

anyway, yea they send the certificate from US (ETS' headquarter is in New Jersey, USA), and since it is a formal and recognized certificate, they can't really joking around with that, they really have a strict rule and regulation in conferring a certificate. Moreover, ETS in Indonesia (which is located at Menara Imperium to be exact) is just an agent representative, they are not really ETS, but they are given the right by ETS to conduct and administrate all TOEFL and other tests (GRE, GMAT, etc.) from ETS in Indonesia. You can always contact them and inquire / complaint about your problem, especially if you register for TOEFL test directly from them (you pay for it, thus it is always your right to ask them). They should have some way to help you or worst case, they will ask you to contact ETS by yourself iloveindonesias

for writing, i dont have any idea which institution is better since i have never attended any of those, but i think the best way is to learn it from a native speaker (well, it may cost a little bit expensive in Indonesia though), they really help a lot especially to know the right way to construct a correct paragraph. Otherwise, you can always check from the internet about the correct norm of writing, try to search the term "Purdue OWL" in google, it is a massive library that will help you to improve your writing iloveindonesias

hope this helps cendols

edited: anyway i just realized, 3 weeks? i think 3 weeks is still considered acceptable. ETS don't use courier service such as FedEx or DHL to send the certificate, they just use a normal registered airmail and as what I have stated before that it's a little bit complicated to send a registered airmail to Indonesia from USA, especially our local postal company is not as professional as theirs capedes

okay, thanks for the response..

well, based on my last experience, i didn't find talking among other test takers as the main difficulty.. please keep in mind (for the upcoming test takers) that the place (imperium, gundar, etc) wont be fully booked by indonesians only.. there are some expats who also want to take the test, so yeah, you get the idea.. get used to think and talk in english while others do the same.. the point is, there will be some expats (possible), vary from lots of different ages if you're planning to take the test here.. just pray that one of them is as hot as megan fox malu:

my problem in speaking is on how to optimize the talking itself..

so, it's still acceptable? i'll call em this weekend..

still, i find it very very inefficient to do what u just mentioned.. i think there's no hole in cheating the score.. if you submit it to certain uni/company, i'm sure the HRD will check and re-check the score to the HQ of ETS.. it's only the printed version of the certificate.. iit's their way to do the business so my opinion doesn't really matter anyway.. p

Quote:
Original Posted By P4BL0
I woke up at 2am this morning just to unplug my cellphone from the charger.
I was surprised that I got email from ETS saying that the result is already available online. But I was too sleepy to feel the "excitement" (or should I say "worry"?).
It means it took 10 days from the test day to the online result, not two weeks as mentioned in the website.

This morning, finally I dared myself to go to ets.org/toefl
Thank God, I got 89. (just one bit higher than the Erasmus Mundus Scholarship requirements). It could be higher with better preparations, though.

In fact, the Speaking and the Reading sections were the worst among others. I was a bit surprised with the result for the Reading Section since I felt a bit confident on this.
Writing section is the best one (another surprise, I thought that the Listening would be the best one).

Now I'm finalizing all the required documents. I postponed doing it to wait for the result of my iBT.

I hereby thank agan-agan here for the inputs and insights.
iloveindonesiascendolbYb Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

we would appreciate if the test takers like agan can voluntary tell what you think can benefiting to other fellow kaskusers.. perhaps you have tips/tricks on how to kill certain section(s), ehm, writing.. i think we are very open for diverse opinions, perspectives, point of views, especially towards a toefl/ielts test...

\)

89, congrats!!
azetalfa - 10/11/2011 05:41 AM

guys, yesterday I have a simulation test about iBT. the most difficult section to me is in speaking section.

when I got a question "youth children should be given a lot of homework, what about yout opinion?"

It was just 15 seconds to prepare the answer, and 45 seconds to answered the question..

honestly, to me It was difficult to answer the question....
I just answered "I disagree with the statement that youth children should be given a lot of homework, because children has limited ability to receive the lessons. They need a lot of time to play...because it can help them to refreshing their brain so thay they can easly to receive the lessons...and next...I have no idea speak again...hammer

how can I do the problem smoothly of the question like this or the similar ones? don't you have any tips..?
geniusdexter - 10/11/2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Truth to be told, I didn't study anything nor did I enroll on ielts preparation hammer:
Page 32 of 42 | ‹ First  < 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]