English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 33 of 42 | ‹ First  < 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 >  Last ›

P4BL0 - 10/11/2011 09:59 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By restar

we would appreciate if the test takers like agan can voluntary tell what you think can benefiting to other fellow kaskusers.. perhaps you have tips/tricks on how to kill certain section(s), ehm, writing.. i think we are very open for diverse opinions, perspectives, point of views, especially towards a toefl/ielts test...

I learned everything about iBT through free lessons available in YouTube.
Even, I first knew about how the test is conducted (the parts and sections) from this video. hammer:

[youtube]BhrmGH-Zsjw[/youtube]

The account NoteFulldotcom provides many useful videos especially for the Speaking and Writing Sections.
Joseph, the guy who owns NoteFull, gives certain template sentences for every questions in Speaking and Writing Section.

I was so focused on the template sentences that I ignored the practice part.
That's why I was tongue-tied during the speaking section.
Joseph always reminds everyone to do practice at the very end of every videos.
So guys, the saying is right, practice makes perfect!

Oh, I also read the TOEFL Test Prep Planner I got when I bought Voucher from ITC Plaza Sentral. But it did not really help.
The YouTube videos are very useful.

Quote:
Original Posted By geniusdexter
Truth to be told, I didn't study anything nor did I enroll on ielts preparation hammer:

Your Kaskus ID tells it. D
yogdogz - 10/11/2011 09:29 PM

hey guys, what's the differences between TOEFL & IELTS? which one better? how much the cost? i'm thinking about taking one of the qualifications for my preparation to studying abroad... thanks \)
geniusdexter - 10/11/2011 10:57 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By P4BL0
Your Kaskus ID tells it. D

Hahaha, thanks mate! D

Quote:
Original Posted By yogdogz
hey guys, what's the differences between TOEFL & IELTS? which one better? how much the cost? i'm thinking about taking one of the qualifications for my preparation to studying abroad... thanks \)

TOEFL - Test of English as Foreign Language
An english test/assessment designed to assess your english skills. It is made by american, and is widely used there.

IELTS - International English Language Testing System
Also an english assessment as well. But the brits made it. It's usually used in commonwealth countries like england, australia, etc.

Which one is better? Depends on what country do you want to go. If it is north america, then pick TOEFL, since it's widely used there. But if it's a commonwealth country, then IELTS will be more suitable.
But actually, the two are interchangeable nowadays. D

Anyway, one difference between TOEFL and IELTS is in the speaking section. In IELTS, the candidates are interviewed by an interviewer. While TOEFL uses computer to 'interview' and record your answer.
ivandjaw - 11/11/2011 03:58 AM

Quote:
TOEFL - Test of English as Foreign Language
An english test/assessment designed to assess your english skills. It is made by american, and is widely used there.

IELTS - International English Language Testing System
Also an english assessment as well. But the brits made it. It's usually used in commonwealth countries like england, australia, etc.

Which one is better? Depends on what country do you want to go. If it is north america, then pick TOEFL, since it's widely used there. But if it's a commonwealth country, then IELTS will be more suitable.
But actually, the two are interchangeable nowadays. D

Anyway, one difference between TOEFL and IELTS is in the speaking section. In IELTS, the candidates are interviewed by an interviewer. While TOEFL uses computer to 'interview' and record your answer.

yeah, I agree with agan dexter.

it's about the same, the only difference is only how are you going to use this certification for? if it's for an institution / organization in the US / other countries affiliated to US, you better take TOEFL, otherwise if you are going to use it for something in the UK / commonwealth countries, then you should take IELTS. Nevertheless, most of the institution / organization right now recognized both of them (unlike about 5-10 years ago when they strictly want a particular english proficiency test).

for difficulty level, it really depends as some people that I know that have taken both the test have no preference, there are some parts which are easier in one test and vice versa.
yugimarshall - 12/11/2011 01:44 AM

that makes sense I guess. it depends on what things u're gonna focuss on. :2thumbup
laura.jelek - 15/11/2011 09:08 AM

have anyone taken TOIEC test?
TOIEC is for business purposes
TOEFL is for academic purposes

am i right?
tobingnyo - 16/11/2011 04:45 PM
dear all agan

can i take an IELTS or a TOEFL test without having any preparation? or is there any online free test for IELTS or TOEFL? i just want to try my luck,.
rusakpasaran - 17/11/2011 06:20 AM
[ASK] What is The Best English Course for TOEFL/IELTS?
In Jakarta... right now I'm considering TBI, is there any other course better than TBI (in terms of price and/or quality)? Thanks
ivandjaw - 17/11/2011 08:04 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By tobingnyo
dear all agan

can i take an IELTS or a TOEFL test without having any preparation? or is there any online free test for IELTS or TOEFL? i just want to try my luck,.

of course you can, no one will have any right not to let you take the test

there are a lot of free online test, just search it in google

good luck Yb
loc - 17/11/2011 08:08 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By laura.jelek
have anyone taken TOIEC test?
TOIEC is for business purposes
TOEFL is for academic purposes

am i right?

yes, although some schools also seem to rely on it to measure their students' english ability.

Quote:
dear all agan

if your english is good enough, why not? \) the most important thing about these kind of tests is, i think, knowing the format. that way you'll be prepared in the sense that you'll know how to handle the questions and won't get a shock when actually taking it.

as for online free tests for IELTS or TOEFL, so far i haven't found one.

edit: looks like ivandjaw has found some online tests. can you post some here please? i'd like to try them too. hehehe
yugimarshall - 17/11/2011 01:53 PM

Just wanna share this info http://id-id.facebook.com/testenglishschool?sk=info, perhaps it helps....

thanks

(yugi)
tobingnyo - 18/11/2011 03:00 PM
??
nothing found there brah,. anyway, its located in kediri,. capedes

Quote:
Original Posted By yugimarshall
Just wanna share this info http://id-id.facebook.com/testenglishschool?sk=info, perhaps it helps....

thanks

(yugi)
jayguum - 18/11/2011 07:26 PM

hi gan \)

i just got my score for toefl that i do for get an scholarship on my fine arts institution, but i just got score 493 (my target is up to 500) \(

is the score too low for a freshman ?
ivandjaw - 19/11/2011 12:17 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By jayguum
hi gan \)

i just got my score for toefl that i do for get an scholarship on my fine arts institution, but i just got score 493 (my target is up to 500) \(

low / high really depends on your institution request

@loc: yea i did, i remember that i downloaded 2 *pak tani* softwares for TOEFL practice, nevertheless it was long time ago before I took my TOEFL test. You can always search for it online
m3mys3lf - 19/11/2011 12:35 AM
The place to learn english, in Medan
Halo friends.. I want to ask the best place to learn English in my town now, Medan..
I want to take an english course, because I want to improve my TOEFL IBT &/ IELTS skill.

Do you have any recommendation?
I've once take TBI English course, I think it's a good place to learn english.. but the price are so expensive to me approx 600 thousand ++/month..

thx you, I'm appreciate any of your recommendation..

iloveindonesiasiloveindonesias
rahan - 19/11/2011 06:35 AM

Quote:
dear all agan

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
yes, although some schools also seem to rely on it to measure their students' english ability.

if your english is good enough, why not? \) the most important thing about these kind of tests is, i think, knowing the format. that way you'll be prepared in the sense that you'll know how to handle the questions and won't get a shock when actually taking it.

as for online free tests for IELTS or TOEFL, so far i haven't found one.

edit: looks like ivandjaw has found some online tests. can you post some here please? i'd like to try them too. hehehe

Quote:
Original Posted By jayguum
hi gan \)

Quote:
Original Posted By ivandjaw
low / high really depends on your institution request

@loc: yea i did, i remember that i downloaded 2 *pak tani* softwares for TOEFL practice, nevertheless it was long time ago before I took my TOEFL test. You can always search for it online

@all: (tobingnyo, loc, ivandjaw, jayguum)

I really think the term 'free online test/ online free test' can be a bit ambiguous. Of course, there are so many useful books (with mp3 as the audio for listening) that can help us predicting a test. The book and the mp3, yes it's available online, even in this very thread (for toefl PBT). However, if you're using the book + the mp3, you'll have to be in a simulation mode, prepare the timing and so on, and after that, you need to check what scores you get by counting how many correct answers you've got. Can this be called 'online'? Well perhaps. If you're looking for these stuff you should check ebookee.org.

Another option is by using a certain simulation software (iBT and PBT TOEFL). For example, those provided by KAPLAN, LONGMAN, CAMBRIDGE, or BARRONS. You need to download and then install the software. After that, take the test, and voila by the end of the test, you'll get your score.

Last but not least, there are blogs which provide useful information about these stuff, and sometimes they give away links to certain / slice of test which can be useful. To find these blogs, just type the keyword (google) BLOG IELTS, BLOG TOEFL, BLOG GRE, BLOG GMAT ... yeah and do the magic ...

For sample of real online test, I think we can use (Although maybe it is not very useful since basically this is just some 'fun' stuff) http://www.cambridgeesol.org/test-your-english/index.php

Sample of blog / site : at that site, click those links on the right hand side.
http://www.examenglish.com/IELTS/index.php
http://www.examenglish.com/TOEFL/index.php
http://www.testmagic.com/knowledge_base/toefl/structure/index.htm

Sample of tons of stuff to download:
http://ebookee.org/search.php?q=toefl&sa=Search
http://ebookee.org/search.php?q=ielts&sa=Search

@jayguum: 493 on PBT? I believe if you put an extra effort for about 3 weeks studying seriously those PBT stuff I've shared on page ..23? you'll get useful insight that hopefully will boost your score in time.:addfriends

@loc: I bet you knew all this stuff, I'm talking about. How's life Mr. Loc? It is quite rare to see you these days on EF thread.. Have a nice weekend. Yb

OK, see you all in a better time ... Ciao.
shivasyif - 20/11/2011 04:02 PM

Quote:
Got my ielts score yesterday, it was quite satisfying genit: although it actually could be higher.

Listening: 7.5
Reading: 7.5
Writing: 7.0
speaking: 6.0 hammer: (I was too tense during the interview \()
Overall band score: 7.0

And thank god, provided i pass UAN, I can continue my study abroad! yay! genit:

oh such a high score agan geniusdexter.. i also want to get high score for ielts.. for next year exam in sha Allah...
azetalfa - 20/11/2011 07:46 PM

Does anyone of you know where can I take a simulation iBT test exam in jakarta? Is in UI available? how much the price?
restar - 20/11/2011 08:18 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By azetalfa
Does anyone of you know where can I take a simulation iBT test exam in jakarta? Is in UI available? how much the price?

u better look at few pages behind.. many ask the same question.. and the answers are more detailed..

what institution? ETS
where? imperium.. any other places can be picked after u registering through the site.. googling "ETS" and you can look around..
price? starts from IDR 1,7 mill
azetalfa - 20/11/2011 09:23 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By restar
u better look at few pages behind.. many ask the same question.. and the answers are more detailed..

what institution? ETS
where? imperium.. any other places can be picked after u registering through the site.. googling "ETS" and you can look around..
price? starts from IDR 1,7 mill

thanks for ur response...

I already registered for iBT, and it takes place in Imperium Tower, I will be face the exam in next month..
but my intent is to find a kind of simulation iBT test before I take the real test, so that I can measure my ability of face the exam in next month...
Page 33 of 42 | ‹ First  < 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]