English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 34 of 42 | ‹ First  < 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 >  Last ›

greenys - 22/11/2011 02:30 PM

Greeting all,

I've been following this thread for quite some time as silent reader. I gained lots of knowledge and sources about TOEFL test from here. I thank very much to all contributors of this thread. thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:

About 2 months ago I took TOEFL ITP test in Surabaya for scholarship requirements. The score was 567. At first, I intended to use ITP score to apply to one of international graduate school in Japan. Unfortunately, the institution only received either TOEFL iBT or TOEIC score. Thus, I registered to TOEFL iBT test on October 31. I took the test in Japan. The test was challenging and a bit difficult for me, particularly in Speaking section.

On November 9, ETS notified me that my score was available online. I obtained 103. I did double check because the score was much higher than I expected. Now, the only problem is I need the official score before December 8. I haven't received it yet, so I doubt if the score from ETS will arrive on time. bingung:

For all who had taken TOEFL iBT, based on your experience, how long did you receive the official score report from your test date?

Thanks a lot \)
zipperia - 22/11/2011 04:25 PM

Hi,anyone knows how to reduce our nervous when we take the test especially whan we wait for the speaking section?What should we preapare before the test,for example, one day before?Are there some myths to increase our band score???Share your oppinion please...Share your tips in all section in IELTS...i have read this thread and find some tips ,but i need another advices...Wish me luck on December...hahahaha...
I will past this test and ready to study abroad...
blinkawan - 23/11/2011 02:46 PM

maaf gan kalau agak oot
ane mau beli buku Barrons toefl ibt rencananya yg book only jadi tanpa audio cd dan cd rom
kbetulan ane udh dnlot tuh cd rom sama audio cd nya. bajakan gitulah
kira2 konten bukunya pas nggak ya sama audio cd nya
mohon bagi yg udah pernah beli bukunya
Velosef - 23/11/2011 07:17 PM

Hello everyone, i just had my ielts at 5th of november and got the result 5 days ago. So i got an overall score 6,5. [ i was expecting a seven capedes ] 6,5 in listening and speaking [ i was a little bit out of focus during the listening and i was asked about sports in speaking which is absolutely not my field of interest haha ! ], 7,5 in reading and 5,5 in writing. I used to think that listening is my weakest point but it turned out that writing is. What score do you need to get if you're aiming for a diploma program overseas ? Is 6,5 good enough or should i retake the test ? berdukasberdukas

I want to retake but i need to start university as soon as possible considering that i am pretty old to start a bachelor program. So i don't wanna waste my time. What should i do ? :O
Velosef - 23/11/2011 07:27 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By zipperia
Hi,anyone knows how to reduce our nervous when we take the test especially when we wait for the speaking section?What should we prepare before the test,for example, one day before?Are there some myths to increase our band score???Share your opinion please...Share your tips in all section in IELTS...i have read this thread and find some tips ,but i need another advices...Wish me luck on December...hahahaha...

Well it's true that waiting for your turn at speaking test could be pretty thrilling ( my heart was beating like a drum in the battle field when i was about to enter the room ). To reduce the nervousness i think it's really important to be well-prepared and expand your knowledge on common/general knowledge. Try reading many magazines or international newspaper. [ Since we don't know what kind of question would be given by the examiner. ] So having a broad knowledge might help you to reduce the nervousness before doing it.

I know that my speaking score isn't really good but i think preparing some lies to be told may help you in passing the speaking section. [ I have no job at the moment but when the examiner asked me about job i told him that i have been working as a doctor and work in local hospital since the last 3 years haha ]
rahan - 23/11/2011 09:11 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Velosef
Hello everyone, i just had my ielts at 5th of november and got the result 5 days ago. So i got an overall score 6,5. [ i was expecting a seven capedes ] 6,5 in listening and speaking [ i was a little bit out of focus during the listening and i was asked about sports in speaking which is absolutely not my field of interest haha ! ], 7,5 in reading and 5,5 in writing. I used to think that listening is my weakest point but it turned out that writing is. What score do you need to get if you're aiming for a diploma program overseas ? Is 6,5 good enough or should i retake the test ? berdukasberdukas

I want to retake but i need to start university as soon as possible considering that i am pretty old to start a bachelor program. So i don't wanna waste my time. What should i do ? :O

Velosef, A diploma program? I think 6.5 is enough. However, you should check the requirement on the brochure. So, for example you're going to head to La Trobe doing International Business .. then you should check the english requirement .. I believe it can be done online. Curtin Master of International Business will do with just 6.5 ... though, sometimes there's also additional requirement that no band lower than six... What kind of diploma you're talking about here?

just for example you can check out the link

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/international/apply/how-to/english

Quote:
Original Posted By blinkawan
maaf gan kalau agak oot
ane mau beli buku Barrons toefl ibt rencananya yg book only jadi tanpa audio cd dan cd rom
kbetulan ane udh dnlot tuh cd rom sama audio cd nya. bajakan gitulah
kira2 konten bukunya pas nggak ya sama audio cd nya
mohon bagi yg udah pernah beli bukunya

It would be better if you put the link where you download the audio file.. so I can tell you whether its a match or not.. why don't you download the ebook? I bought the ibt very cheap in Blok M lowerground ... or Palasari maybe if you're in Bandung.

Quote:
Hi,anyone knows how to reduce our nervous when we take the test especially whan we wait for the speaking section?What should we preapare before the test,for example, one day before?Are there some myths to increase our band score???Share your oppinion please...Share your tips in all section in IELTS...i have read this thread and find some tips ,but i need another advices...Wish me luck on December...hahahaha...

zipperia .. you're still here? I think you're already abroad man. So, this December, eh? My advice is don't bother those native. Actually, you can tell whether they're going to act 'friendly' or not by the first glance. If you don't feel that they're going to be warm, don't be tense, just focus on the question, and remember that in order to get higher band in speaking, you need to

• speaks at length without noticeable effort or loss of coherence
• may demonstrate language-related hesitation at times, or some repetition and/or self-correction
• uses a range of connectives and discourse markers with some flexibility

• uses vocabulary resource flexibly to discuss a variety of topics
• uses some less common and idiomatic vocabulary and shows some awareness of style and collocation, with some inappropriate choices
• uses paraphrase effectively

uses a range of complex structures with some flexibility
• frequently produces error-free sentences, though some grammatical mistakes persist

Quote:
Original Posted By greenys
Greeting all,

I've been following this thread for quite some time as silent reader. I gained lots of knowledge and sources about TOEFL test from here. I thank very much to all contributors of this thread. thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:

About 2 months ago I took TOEFL ITP test in Surabaya for scholarship requirements. The score was 567. At first, I intended to use ITP score to apply to one of international graduate school in Japan. Unfortunately, the institution only received either TOEFL iBT or TOEIC score. Thus, I registered to TOEFL iBT test on October 31. I took the test in Japan. The test was challenging and a bit difficult for me, particularly in Speaking section.

On November 9, ETS notified me that my score was available online. I obtained 103. I did double check because the score was much higher than I expected. Now, the only problem is I need the official score before December 8. I haven't received it yet, so I doubt if the score from ETS will arrive on time. bingung:

For all who had taken TOEFL iBT, based on your experience, how long did you receive the official score report from your test date?

Thanks a lot \)

Congratulations on getting your higher than expectation, wow 103!
I guess it's about two weeks

Printed score reports are mailed within two weeks after your test date. Allow 7–10 days for delivery in the United States and more time for other locations. Your scores are valid for two years and can be sent to other higher education institutions during that time.

Spoiler for selanjutnya
How and when do I get my scores?

Scores will be posted online within two weeks of the test date. Log in to your online TOEFL iBT account, enter the ETS ID received when you registered and click on the "View Scores" link. Your scores are also mailed to the universities or institutions you selected when you registered. A score report posting schedule for each test administration is available on the TOEFL iBT test site. Allow 7–10 days for mail delivery in the United States and more than four weeks for other areas. We recommend that you take the test two to three months before your earliest application deadline.

How soon do score recipients get my scores?

Score reports are sent electronically or mailed to recipients two weeks after the test date.

How long are scores valid?
ETS reports scores for two years after the test date.
How many score reports are included in my test fee?

Your test fee includes:
* One examinee score report for you
* Up to four official score reports that ETS will send directly to the institutions or agencies you selected

Can I order additional official score reports?
Yes, you can order additional score reports after your scores are available online, approximately two weeks after the test date.
How do I order additional score reports?

You can order additional score reports as soon as your test scores are available (two weeks after test day). You can send your scores to as many institutions as you choose for a fee of US$17 per report. Scores are mailed approximately four to seven days after receipt of your request and payment.

Order Online
* Order by Fax: Fill out the TOEFL iBT® Official Score Report Request Form (PDF). Fax it with your registration number and credit/debit card information to 1-610-290-8972. If you send the same fax more than once, write "DUPLICATE" in large letters on the form to avoid extra charges to your credit/debit card.
* Order by Mail: Print and complete the TOEFL iBT Official Score Report Request Form (PDF). Mail it with your payment as directed on the form.

Acceptable payment methods include credit/debit card or check or money order in U.S. dollars. For online orders, scores are mailed four to seven business days after your request and receipt of payment. For mail or fax orders, scores are mailed usually within two weeks after your request and payment is received.

I believe they won't send you the result, but they'll send it to the institutions you've picked
Good evening everyone. Have a nice day!
restar - 23/11/2011 09:41 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By greenys
Greeting all,

Thanks a lot \)

103? grats!!

(by the way, does anyone know where i can learn JUST to speak japanese (no need to write/read, just for business conversation).. sorry bit out of topic)

for your question, i took the test earlier in this month, and received the printed result from ETS about last week..
geniusdexter - 23/11/2011 10:03 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By shivasyif
oh such a high score agan geniusdexter.. i also want to get high score for ielts.. for next year exam in sha Allah...

thanks a lot shivasyif! \)
I hope you'll get even higher, amin.... \)

anyway, I take it you want to go abroad?

Quote:
Original Posted By tobingnyo
dear all agan

can i take an IELTS or a TOEFL test without having any preparation? or is there any online free test for IELTS or TOEFL? i just want to try my luck,.

yes, you could \)
I took my IELTS test without taking any preparation, and alhamdulillah, I passed the required score to go abroad! \)
But of course you don't go to the battlefield without having any preparation, mate, I myself did some online test so that I could be a bit familiar with the test \)

Anyway, is there anyone planning on going to melbourne on 2012? \)
zipperia - 23/11/2011 10:49 PM

I am still here...i will study abroad next year on September maybe,because i should finish my high school first to fulfill entry requirement in my college...you know,i am so nervous when i think about this test...wish me luck in that test soon...give me some advices and share your experience,maybe your experience will help me...sorry,i ask many questions,but i really confuse and nervous...hahahaha...
w3eee - 24/11/2011 01:40 AM

Quote:
I am still here...i will study abroad next year on September maybe,because i should finish my high school first to fulfill entry requirement in my college...you know,i am so nervous when i think about this test...wish me luck in that test soon...give me some advices and share your experience,maybe your experience will help me...sorry,i ask many questions,but i really confuse and nervous...hahahaha...

Hi zipperia,

imho:
Mind your writing, specifically the punctuation to make correct sentence structure.
imho, Bro Rahan's writing is simply an example of the correct use of punctuation.
IELTS (or TOEFL) is an academic English test; therefor, anyone taking the test is bound to this formal academic writing style.

If you are familiar with the test structure and have built the skills required, i don't see any reason to be confused or nervous.

Other than Grammar & Vocabulary, IELTS requires that the test taker have academic skills such as skimming, scanning, and paraphrasing.

In listening section, making prediction is also a critical skill.
In reading section, you surely need to know how to paraphrase well, by which you can understand the question and know where to get the answer from the passage.

just my 2 cents.

Oh btw, hi everybody!!
All this time, I have been a silent participant in this forum.
It's nice to be here, a very useful forum.
Just call me 'wee'.

Take care.
mnemonix - 24/11/2011 03:09 AM

Quote:

are young to take the iBT?

well if it's possible, then try to take the test 2 or 3 times.
Sometimes you don't get a high score at the 1st attempt. Analyze your weakness, then focus on that part. You'll get a higher score.

Beside, actually you can take the iBT as many times as you want. D
I already took 2 test within the last 2 months, and now is preparing for the 3rd test

hammer:
diasita - 24/11/2011 12:16 PM
consultation
wassap chap and sis,,....
i need your comment or even suggestion about English off course, as i find complicated way to improve ability in mastering the language. could you please give some suggestions, advises, or even comment in this thread. thanks before.
:request
blinkawan - 24/11/2011 12:51 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan

It would be better if you put the link where you download the audio file.. so I can tell you whether its a match or not.. why don't you download the ebook? I bought the ibt very cheap in Blok M lowerground ... or Palasari maybe if you're in Bandung.

i have download an ebook but it is scanned, i feel so lazy to read an ebook moreover it's a scanned version, it will make me dizzy hahaa..
btw i bought Barron's Toefl Ibt that is republished by local publisher so i got a friendly price..
D

i'm planning to take final year program on September, and the registration is on June so i need the toefl result at least early June
is there any suggestion when i have to take the test
thanks
-nopex- - 24/11/2011 03:31 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan
I believe they won't send you the result, but they'll send it to the institutions you've picked
Good evening everyone. Have a nice day!

Are you sure they won't send the result to the test takers? Because if it's true, I'll be in a big problem. I didn't specify any recipient, though I ordered Web-accessible Score Report and a printed copy to be mailed to me.

Here is ETS statement on their website
Quote:
You may send your scores to four score recipients as part of your test fee. DO NOT include yourself as a recipient. You can view your scores online within 2 weeks after the test date. If you choose to receive a printed copy, it will be mailed to you automatically.

Seriously, I need this report before December 20.
Velosef - 24/11/2011 04:44 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan
Velosef, A diploma program? I think 6.5 is enough. However, you should check the requirement on the brochure. So, for example you're going to head to La Trobe doing International Business .. then you should check the english requirement .. I believe it can be done online. Curtin Master of International Business will do with just 6.5 ... though, sometimes there's also additional requirement that no band lower than six... What kind of diploma you're talking about here?

just for example you can check out the link

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/international/apply/how-to/english

Yeah, My friend said that 6,5 is enough for diploma program but usually with no band lower than 6. I am planning to major in something related to humanities or society such as communication, psychology, arts, etc. I think it would be much better for me to consult about this first with the school agent. Thank you for the information ! D:addfriends

Anyway, is there anyone here who knows good education consultant for UK and USA destination ? bingungsbingungs
saraszero2eight - 24/11/2011 05:28 PM

You need a lot of practice, that's all.
And never bored of English, you have to enjoy it.
it will be difficult at first. Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
greenys - 24/11/2011 06:02 PM

For agan rahan and restar, thanks for your responses.

For now, I'm just waiting for the official score report. My supervisor here will tell me if it arrives to his laboratory.

For my TOEFL preparations previously, I practiced using Cambridge TOEFL iBT and Kaplan simulation software. I read The official Guide to the TOEFL Test Third Edition by ETS and Speaking and Writing Strategies for the TOEFL by Bruce Sterling. The last book really assisted me for the Speaking and Writing sections.

Good luck for everyone who will take TOEFL or IELTS test.
zipperia - 25/11/2011 06:24 PM

i have prepared that test,having a course to get a high score.unfortunatelly,i am still nervous,because i know that i am not really good in english.wish me luck guys.this time will be fast before i pass that.hahahaha.
this topic is very useful.
Studying and praying...God bless...
el_stup1do - 25/11/2011 08:29 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Velosef
Yeah, My friend said that 6,5 is enough for diploma program but usually with no band lower than 6. I am planning to major in something related to humanities or society such as communication, psychology, arts, etc. I think it would be much better for me to consult about this first with the school agent. Thank you for the information ! D:addfriends

Anyway, is there anyone here who knows good education consultant for UK and USA destination ? bingungsbingungs

Checkout aminef for US.

Quote:
Original Posted By mnemonix
are young to take the iBT?

well if it's possible, then try to take the test 2 or 3 times.
Sometimes you don't get a high score at the 1st attempt. Analyze your weakness, then focus on that part. You'll get a higher score.

Beside, actually you can take the iBT as many times as you want. D
I already took 2 test within the last 2 months, and now is preparing for the 3rd test

hammer:

Third times a charm. \)
I don't envy being in your situation though, hehehe. Gone are the days of standardized test.
w3eee - 28/11/2011 09:02 PM

Hi everybody,

I find this forum as a great place to help each other and to get valuable information.
I am currently working in different field. I started teaching English as part-time job early this year.
I hope i can share my knowledge and what I've been doing/teaching to my students in this forum. Also, I'm kind of hoping to get many friends and a lot of knowledge through this forum, especially teaching experience from the masters here.

Quote:
Original Posted By diasita
wassap chap and sis,,....
i need your comment or even suggestion about English off course, as i find complicated way to improve ability in mastering the language. could you please give some suggestions, advises, or even comment in this thread. thanks before.
:request

to be fluent fast:
... c o p y t h e c h i l d r e n ...

Listen to understandable and correct English (daily conversations/movie/tv programs).
Don't push ourselves to listen to difficult conversations using advanced vocabularies.
Try conversation which we can understand the majority (80%) of the vocabularies in it.

-emotion secret
never complain, always be happy
learning (listening) with feeling good inside
emotion is 80% of success, the method is only 20%

try to have fun, laugh, and smile!
be positive, never be a negative person

-deep learning
Don't hurry up, don't quit! relax ourselves and repeat
repetition is necessary to get all knowledge (grammar, vocab, expressions, etc) memorized permanently in our brain

hurry up vs repeat: we must not hurry ourselves. Instead, we have to repeat what we've learned consistently.

good emotion - relax ourselves - concentrate - repeat

That's what i know of how to be fluent in English.
If you want to take English test such as TOEFL or IELTS, you must get yourself familiar with the test so you can do all the instructions easily.

-wee-
Page 34 of 42 | ‹ First  < 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]