English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 35 of 42 | ‹ First  < 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 >  Last ›

phimonster - 30/11/2011 10:50 PM

yeah, this test is always haunting me.
always crossing over my mind.
and im in progress to search a suit ielts preparation especially in medan.
i need the ielts result for an university in canada.

just hope the best for people who wants to the ielts test.
God Bless Us.
CAYOO!!!!
phimonster - 30/11/2011 10:56 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Velosef
Hello everyone, i just had my ielts at 5th of november and got the result 5 days ago. So i got an overall score 6,5. [ i was expecting a seven capedes ] 6,5 in listening and speaking [ i was a little bit out of focus during the listening and i was asked about sports in speaking which is absolutely not my field of interest haha ! ], 7,5 in reading and 5,5 in writing. I used to think that listening is my weakest point but it turned out that writing is. What score do you need to get if you're aiming for a diploma program overseas ? Is 6,5 good enough or should i retake the test ? berdukasberdukas

I want to retake but i need to start university as soon as possible considering that i am pretty old to start a bachelor program. So i don't wanna waste my time. What should i do ? :O

i think 6.5 score for ielts test is quite high, its the normal score that every university require.
w3eee - 01/12/2011 12:14 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By phimonster
yeah, this test is always haunt me.
always flying over my mind.
and im in progress to search the suit ielts preparation.
i need the ielts test for take an university in canada.
so i must watchout every move that i do in english capability.
in 1 passage, how much time they'll give ?
and whr u take the ielts preparation?
need your advice right now. \(

Hi phimonster,
I am not sure whom you are asking the advice from, but I hope you don't mind my input.

The grammar errors are quite significant. didn't u realized at all by the time you wrote those sentences?
Should I show you the mistakes?

This is the format of IELTS:
Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

All details about IELTS are available @ http://www.ielts.org

-wee-
w3eee - 01/12/2011 12:14 AM

The Internet is such an amazing place to get all the resources we need to prepare for either TOEFL or IELTS.

-wee-
-nopex- - 01/12/2011 02:00 PM

Dear All,

Based on your experience(s), how long will it take to deliver IBT printed report to your home? I took the test on Nov 12, and the report is not delivered yet :S
ivandjaw - 01/12/2011 11:30 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By -nopex-
Dear All,

Based on your experience(s), how long will it take to deliver IBT printed report to your home? I took the test on Nov 12, and the report is not delivered yet :S

do you mean a written report? I think it has been discussed numerous times in this thread that it will take approximately 3-5 weeks for the written report to be received by test takers residing in Indonesia.

Nevertheless, u should be able to get your online result within a couple of weeks after your test.
-nopex- - 02/12/2011 01:42 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By ivandjaw
do you mean a written report? I think it has been discussed numerous times in this thread that it will take approximately 3-5 weeks for the written report to be received by test takers residing in Indonesia.

Nevertheless, u should be able to get your online result within a couple of weeks after your test.

Oh, my bad. Guess I haven't read the thread thoroughly. malu And thanks for the information. shakehand2
zipperia - 02/12/2011 03:57 PM

of course the tests,such as IELTS or TOEFL always make us afraid...Thus,I think,we ought to face and also beat the test,so we can be ready to go overseas...i will take the test next week and to be honest i am so nervous,but i try to relax and do my best to get the enough score next week...i should do it...God will do the rest...Gbu...
phimonster - 03/12/2011 10:16 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By w3eee
Hi phimonster,
I am not sure whom you are asking the advice from, but I hope you don't mind my input.

The grammar errors are quite significant. didn't u realized at all by the time you wrote those sentences?
Should I show you the mistakes?

This is the format of IELTS:
Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

All details about IELTS are available @ http://www.ielts.org

-wee-

ya i know wee.
so many grammar errors there.
i just know how to speak english, without think the grammar because im not getting use to it.
maybe i should to take the general english course first to fix my grammar.
then i've 1 question to ask.
is toefl easier than ielts?
need your advice . \(
and sory for my bad grammar.
may god bless me, you and everyone in this ielts test.
geniusdexter - 04/12/2011 06:24 PM

Quote:
ya i know wee.
so many grammar errors there.
i just know how to speak english, without think the grammar because im not getting use to it.
maybe i should to take the general english course first to fix my grammar.
then i've 1 question to ask.
is toefl easier than ielts?
need your advice . \(
and sory for my bad grammar.
may god bless me, you and everyone in this ielts test.

Truth to be told, those test basically has quite the same standard, so, you don't have anything to worry about. D

well, actually there are.

1. While TOEFL only use american english speakers, The Listening section of IELTS combines British, Australian and American accents. So, if you're only accustomed to the american accent, then you should take toefl. D

2. Also, another difference between TOEFL and IELTS is in the speaking section. In IELTS, the candidates are interviewed by an interviewer, while TOEFL uses computer to 'interview' and record your answer. So, if you get nervous when speaking with foreigners, then take toefl. But, if 'talking' to computer seems weird for you, then IELTS should be your choice. D
zipperia - 05/12/2011 02:49 PM

Between TOEFL and IELTS are almost similar,but it depends on you also...hahahaha...
patungpancorann - 06/12/2011 09:10 AM

my speaking english is not good D
i want to test toefl but i can \(
hesseljw - 06/12/2011 08:01 PM

guys I wanna ask a quetion.
how to do the TOEFL's incorrect word language easily? I'm so week to solve that -__-"
thanks
restar - 06/12/2011 10:21 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By -nopex-
Dear All,

read previous page(s).. i asked the same question, answered, and told my own experience related to the shipment of the result..

they're quite slow in delivering the printed result..
phimonster - 06/12/2011 11:09 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By zipperia
Between TOEFL and IELTS are almost similar,but it depends on you also...hahahaha...

but based on my experience in the ielts or toefl preparation, i think that ielts easier for me.
greenish.geekz - 07/12/2011 07:43 PM

Quote:
but based on my experience in the ielts or toefl preparation, i think that ielts easier for me.

really?? is ielts easier than ibt toefl???
maybe it sounds weird for you, guys ... but if i face someone else and forced to talk in english, my nervous get high then i hardly speak ... it's such a shame but i feel comfortable if i speak to computer maybe ...

but, i want to ask u ... which one is more needed in many countries, especially for scholarship applicantion??

thank a lot
Gbu
phimonster - 07/12/2011 11:40 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By greenish.geekz
maybe it sounds weird for you, guys ... but if i face someone else and forced to talk in english, my nervous get high then i hardly speak ... it's such a shame but i feel comfortable if i speak to computer maybe ...

but, i want to ask u ... which one is more needed in many countries, especially for scholarship applicantion??

thank a lot
Gbu

firstly you must get used to talk with your friend at school or your courses.
dont be afraid of the grammar errors. we just want to make you confident first.
then continue to talk with your english teachers.
and ready for the real one by using internet.
my sister started to used skype to had some chat with foreign people to increased her speakings abillity.

base on my knowledge ,
ielts test results is needed for apply in scholarship.
toefl test result is needed for apply in job.
rahan - 08/12/2011 12:42 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By greenish.geekz

thank a lot
Gbu

Hi there Greenish Geekz.

I would like to clear something here. When people talk about IELTS and TOEFL, as non-native speaker, we don't really get to say that one test is simply easier than the other. Both tests are standardized test. Therefore, it is up to you to decide which one you'd like to study. The first thing you have to do is to get overall feels - get familiar with the test format. Simulate each test once, without any preparation. Then, you might say for your self which test do you want to deal with.

Now let's discuss about scholarships in general. First, you can use both scores (IELTS or TOEFL iBT) to apply. Underline the words: just to apply. Most of Australian Universities prefer IELTS, in the other hand, American / European Universities tend to accept TOEFL primarily, or so some may said. However, this is not the most important point in obtaining a scholarship.

You need to gather a lot of information about what faculty / program from what university that you intend to apply. And don't forget, which scholarship are you planning to apply? Is it ADS, is it Fulbright? Is It Chevenings? Is it New Zealand Scholarships? Nuffic Neso? - You need to be really sure that the university you choose is covered by that scholarships.

So, the safest way is to take a look at the English requirement set by the faculty / university. And that will be your ultimate goal, in terms of language requirement. For example, some said that Harvard won't accept international students with less than 100 scores for TOEFL iBT.

In general, if you choose to study IELTS aim for band 7. And TOEFL iBT aim for 100 or more. That way your chance to get accepted will be appropriate since those are the usual scores requirement for postgraduate studies.

Last but not least, don't bother with institutional TOEFL with scores as high as 550 - 600 bla bla bla .. this kind of test should be stay safe n sound buried in the ground. Most universities or scholarship will only accept the real original iBT scores by ETS and IELTS by British Council / IDP / Cambridge Esol.

For more information about iBT TOEFL: http://www.iief.or.id/index.php?%20%20option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=10
The Indonesian International Education Foundation (IIEF)
Menara Imperium Lt. 28 Suite B
Jl. H. R. Rasuna Said, Jakarta 12980
Tel. 021-8317330, Faks: 021-8317331

For more information about IELTS: http://www.ialf.edu/
IALF Jakarta
Sentra Mulia Building, Ground Floor
Jl Rasuna Said Kav X-6 No. 8
Jakarta 12940
Tel. (62-21) 521-3350

If you need IELTS simulation, you should visit education expo held by agents. Usually they also held free simulation, TOEFL or IELTS, to attract prospective clients.

NB: You might also need to learn about GRE if you plan to go to America, or GMAT if you plan to do a postgraduate in Business.
ivandjaw - 08/12/2011 03:59 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan
Hi there Greenish Geekz.

I would like to clear something here. When people talk about IELTS and TOEFL, as non-native speaker, we don't really get to say that one test is simply easier than the other. Both tests are standardized test. Therefore, it is up to you to decide which one you'd like to study. The first thing you have to do is to get overall feels - get familiar with the test format. Simulate each test once, without any preparation. Then, you might say for your self which test do you want to deal with.

Now let's discuss about scholarships in general. First, you can use both scores (IELTS or TOEFL iBT) to apply. Underline the words: just to apply. Most of Australian Universities prefer IELTS, in the other hand, American / European Universities tend to accept TOEFL primarily, or so some may said. However, this is not the most important point in obtaining a scholarship.

You need to gather a lot of information about what faculty / program from what university that you intend to apply. And don't forget, which scholarship are you planning to apply? Is it ADS, is it Fulbright? Is It Chevenings? Is it New Zealand Scholarships? Nuffic Neso? - You need to be really sure that the university you choose is covered by that scholarships.

So, the safest way is to take a look at the English requirement set by the faculty / university. And that will be your ultimate goal, in terms of language requirement. For example, some said that Harvard won't accept international students with less than 100 scores for TOEFL iBT.

In general, if you choose to study IELTS aim for band 7. And TOEFL iBT aim for 100 or more. That way your chance to get accepted will be appropriate since those are the usual scores requirement for postgraduate studies.

Last but not least, don't bother with institutional TOEFL with scores as high as 550 - 600 bla bla bla .. this kind of test should be stay safe n sound buried in the ground. Most universities or scholarship will only accept the real original iBT scores by ETS and IELTS by British Council / IDP / Cambridge Esol.

For more information about iBT TOEFL: http://www.iief.or.id/index.php?%20%20option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=10
The Indonesian International Education Foundation (IIEF)
Menara Imperium Lt. 28 Suite B
Jl. H. R. Rasuna Said, Jakarta 12980
Tel. 021-8317330, Faks: 021-8317331

For more information about IELTS: http://www.ialf.edu/
IALF Jakarta
Sentra Mulia Building, Ground Floor
Jl Rasuna Said Kav X-6 No. 8
Jakarta 12940
Tel. (62-21) 521-3350

If you need IELTS simulation, you should visit education expo held by agents. Usually they also held free simulation, TOEFL or IELTS, to attract prospective clients.

NB: You might also need to learn about GRE if you plan to go to America, or GMAT if you plan to do a postgraduate in Business.

well said agan rahan, i think this statement is a good explanation for those who keep asking whether to take IELTS or TOEFL for scholarship.

moreover, it's true that in order to get a chance to be admitted into a university / scholarship program, it's better to have TOEFL score of more than 100 (iBT score), even without scholarship, universities still prefer international applicants who have that range of score (if you are applying for those top universities in the world)
gilang7aswar - 08/12/2011 10:02 PM
Is TOEFL Score Really Representate Your English Ability?
This is my first thread in English, so CMIIW \)

What do you think when you hear or read question like used as the thread title? As we know, one of requirements of university graduation is certain TOEFL score. Many company also request their employee canditates meet their standard of TOEFL. From these facts, so everyone assumes that TOEFL score represents how good our English are. Is it true?

I can say it's true and it's wrong. How come?

It's true because TOEFL measures our understanding of grammar, our ability to read in English, and listening skill. These three abilities are important when it comes to learn foreign language.

But it's wrong because TOEFL only includes passive English, and ignores active aspects. What are them? Yeah, all of us know, speaking and writing. They are, especially speaking, in my opinion, more important. We can't say that we have English ability if we never speak, aren't we? So be dare to speak! No matter how bad our pronounciation, no matter how not fluent we are!
Page 35 of 42 | ‹ First  < 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]