English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 39 of 42 | ‹ First  < 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 > 

rahan - 09/01/2012 12:32 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By voidlees
dear all, need some suggestion here..
i want to take IELTS test, where can i find the best courses to prepare for IELTs test?
private teacher or something like EF or ILP?
and where can i get some good material for IELTS?
thx

check the whole thread to get better understanding. a lot of stuff has been discussed. just assume that it is a reading practice.

https://www.kaskus.co.id/showpost.php?p=480790295&postcount=491
https://www.kaskus.co.id/showpost.php?p=579477862&postcount=720
http://depositfiles.com/files/5a5yhr5r0
http://www.mediafire.com/?c63ahkr3z85clrd/

good luck
w3eee - 09/01/2012 06:39 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By restar
yup, it's true, u can find it in kompas/detik.. don't ask about the link.. it's been a while since i read it..

the "PNS" in ministry of trade must have toefl score of minimum 600.. that's why i asked.. anyway, anyone with info about the institution, pls share.. i just curious.. hehe.. ( cendols is ready..)

in hoping to get my 1st 'cendol' (lol), i'll try to answer the question even though I am not really sure what the question is p

score 600, i believe that's PBT
and my best guess is that if PBT does still exist, it is most likely in a form of ITP TOEFL

in my understanding, an institution will ask an official test center to carry out ITP TOEFL solely for this institution's interest such as to measure its employees' English competency.

My experience is that I once took ITP TOEFL in my campus in 2001.
My campus did that to measure its students' English competency and to make the campus profile.

I did the test in my campus, but I took the result in the test center office. Back then, it was in IIEF, Menara Imperium, Jkt.

On the result paper, the name of the institution is mentioned along with the detail of the scores (PBT: Listening Comprehension, Structure & Written Expression, and Reading Comprehension).

a notification on the right bottom corner says this: "This ITP score record is NOT to be used to fulfill entrance requirements to universities. It is for the administering institution only."

so, my guess is that this ministry office would ask an official TOEFL test center to conduct ITP TOEFL in their ministry office for its PNS/employees .

oh, I believe ITP TOEFL has the same difficulty as PBT TOEFL. The difference is that the result can't be used as a valid document to other institution such as an admission to a university.

CMIIW.
I may not have the updated info. I only share my experience of doing ITP TOEFL in 2001

did i get the question correctly? can i get the 'cendol' now? lol

-wee-
w3eee - 09/01/2012 07:28 PM

Quote:
yup, it's true, u can find it in kompas/detik.. don't ask about the link.. it's been a while since i read it..

the "PNS" in ministry of trade must have toefl score of minimum 600.. that's why i asked.. anyway, anyone with info about the institution, pls share.. i just curious.. hehe.. ( cendols is ready..)

http://www.ets.org/toefl_itp/faq
ITP TOEFL does still exist, i think. (cmiiw)

just google to see how the ITP TOEFL report card looks like. then, you'll get it that it is an official TOEFL from ETS.

i just remember that i did the test in my campus, not in the test center.
it was in the form similar to PBT. so, i think the people conducting the test were from the test center.
restar - 09/01/2012 11:45 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By w3eee
in hoping to get my 1st 'cendol' (lol), i'll try to answer the question even though I am not really sure what the question is p

score 600, i believe that's PBT
and my best guess is that if PBT does still exist, it is most likely in a form of ITP TOEFL

in my understanding, an institution will ask an official test center to carry out ITP TOEFL solely for this institution's interest such as to measure its employees' English competency.

My experience is that I once took ITP TOEFL in my campus in 2001.
My campus did that to measure its students' English competency and to make the campus profile.

I did the test in my campus, but I took the result in the test center office. Back then, it was in IIEF, Menara Imperium, Jkt.

On the result paper, the name of the institution is mentioned along with the detail of the scores (PBT: Listening Comprehension, Structure & Written Expression, and Reading Comprehension).

a notification on the right bottom corner says this: "This ITP score record is NOT to be used to fulfill entrance requirements to universities. It is for the administering institution only."

so, my guess is that this ministry office would ask an official TOEFL test center to conduct ITP TOEFL in their ministry office for its PNS/employees .

oh, I believe ITP TOEFL has the same difficulty as PBT TOEFL. The difference is that the result can't be used as a valid document to other institution such as an admission to a university.

CMIIW.
I may not have the updated info. I only share my experience of doing ITP TOEFL in 2001

did i get the question correctly? can i get the 'cendol' now? lol

-wee-

ITP, Institutional Testing Programme, u mean?

Quote:
TOEFL ITP forms have been administered before and are not fully secure; they should hence neither be used for admission purposes, nor as substitutes for a TOEFL score.

cmiiw, but if im not mistaken ITP is not even qualify as PBT.. cmiiw..

so, what's the difference between EPT and ITP? few yrs a go i took EPT (English Proficiency Test) and it was quite easy.. i managed to score above 600.. it is used as TOEFL prediction.. it had sections, such as: interview with the institution representative (to measure speaking skill), reading, listening.. minus writing..

i had my ITP several yrs a go as a part of recruitment process (bank M (they use ETS), the sections were only listening, reading (incl. grammar).. it's easier than EPT in my opinion..

still not sure of what kind of "TOEFL", but i think it's more like ITP.. so 600 is not so difficult i guess.. p

well at least they can communicate in english, and in ministry of trade, such requirement is important..

thanks, cendols sent..
w3eee - 10/01/2012 09:44 AM

Quote:
ITP, Institutional Testing Programme, u mean?

cmiiw, but if im not mistaken ITP is not even qualify as PBT.. cmiiw..

so, what's the difference between EPT and ITP? few yrs a go i took EPT (English Proficiency Test) and it was quite easy.. i managed to score above 600.. it is used as TOEFL prediction.. it had sections, such as: interview with the institution representative (to measure speaking skill), reading, listening.. minus writing..

i had my ITP several yrs a go as a part of recruitment process (bank M (they use ETS), the sections were only listening, reading (incl. grammar).. it's easier than EPT in my opinion..

still not sure of what kind of "TOEFL", but i think it's more like ITP.. so 600 is not so difficult i guess.. p

well at least they can communicate in english, and in ministry of trade, such requirement is important..

thanks, cendols sent..

Yes, ITP = Institutional Testing Program

TOEFL ITP is also a product of ETS.
"The TOEFL ITP tests measure English-language proficiency at the intermediate to advanced levels and are used for academic placement, progress evaluation, exit testing and other situations that do not require a secure testing environment." (http://www.ets.org/tests_products)

so, I think that's why I did my ITP TOEFL in my campus not in the test center because ITP TOEFL doesn't require a secure testing environment. That must be why the result can't be used/transferred to other institution.

ITP TOEFL is from ETS while EPT (English Proficiency Test) is available at any local English training center. I think EPT format can vary from one institution to the others. imo, EPT is a TOEFL prediction. In the end, we have to do the official TOEFL from ETS for its worldwide acceptance. I remember that for a relatively small cost, i got my EPT score from LIA in 2004. I did like a paper based test with additional writing (manual writing) and speaking in a form of an interview. If you did an EPT, i would ask you where/what institution you had your EPT in.

about whether ITP TOEFL is easier or not compared to EPT, I think that depends to the level of ITP (http://www.ets.org/toefl_itp/content/) and the local insititution who gives the EPT. imo, ITP TOEFL level 1 has the same difficulty as PBT TOEFL.

yeay, i got my 1st 'cendol'!!! cendolb. Thank you, gan restar!!
irwankiedi - 10/01/2012 10:19 PM
kampung inggris pare
hai agan2,,ane nyubie, baru nimbrung di kaskus,,,

ane mau skdar share pengalaman ane di kampung inggris pare\)b

buat om momod, kalo salah tempet, di pindahin yah, maklum ane nyubi.

well,, kampung inggris pare (tulungrejo dan pelem) adalah sebuah desa dimana banyak sekali berdiri tempat kursusan bahasa inggris.
eit,, tapi jangan salah kaprah ya gan, dinamakan kampung inggris bukan berarti semua penduduknya pake bahasa inggris loh , kalo ada kabar angin yang mengatakan kalo di pare semua penduduknya pake bahasa inggris, itu salah kaprah gan. pare di katakan kampung inggris karna disana terdapat banyak kursusan kursusan basa inggris dan berjubelnya camps (english area) yang bisa nge-improve english agan agan,,,,,

"dulu, pare (tulungrejo dan pelem) adalah desa yang sangat sepi , namun setelah berdirinya era english course pare menjadi rame" ujar ibu sussi, ibu kos ane .
Mr.kalend, adalah pencetus pertama kampung inggris, beliaulah yang pertama kali membuat tempat kursusan di kampung inggris yaitu BEC (basic english course). kemudian diikuti oleh kursusan2 lain seperti EECC, Mahesa institute ,Global english, Smart, EL-FAST, Marvelous and many moree.
dan hingga sekarang january 2012 usah nyampe seratusan kursusan di pare.
banyak yah gan,,,

cas cis cus casciscus,,
disini ane mao share tips ngambil kursusan supaya lebih efektif di kampung inggris ini,,,,,

tiap orang pasti punya orientasi yang berbeda-beda belajar bahasa inggris di pare, ada yang tujuannya ngejar toefl, memperlancar speaking, menghabiskan masa libur study , teaching program, dan lain2.

mari kupas satu persatu

1.orientasi toefl
yang tujuannya di point pertama ini biasanya mahasiswa yang ingit lanjut study ke jenjang S2,,,
pertama pilihlah kursusan yang menyediakan materi grammar yang berorientasikan pada pemecahan soal2 toefl. contohnya: El-fast, Smart, Oxford dan banyak lagi,,, maaf yg gak kesebut, no SARAiloveindonesias
namun, jika hanya pinter di grammar doank, tidak layaklah anda di sebu bisa berbahasa inggris. anda juga harus bisa speaking dengan baik.
ane kasi tips,,, fokuslah dan ambil materi grammar pada kursusan yang sudah anda pilih, untuk materi speaking atopun vocab anda bisa mensiasatinya dengan tinggal di camp yang menyediakan english area. karna di camp biasanya anda akan dapat materi speaking dan vocabulary.
yah bener tuh,, namanya juga english area,, ya harus pake bahasa inggris laahh hehehe....

2.orientasi speaking
yang mau jadi guide, kerja di hotel, atopun mau jadi TKI sangat "iya" pada point nomer dua ini.
ambillah kursusan yang menyediakan materi speaking, dan hampir semua kursusan menyediakan jurusan speaking.
namun ada beberapa kursusan yang sudah sudah advance pada jurrusan speaking,,, contohnya: ttuuttt ttuuttt ttuutttt sensor ah,, takut ada unsur SARA , kalo penasaran PM ane.
namun, speaking yang baik adalah speaking yang di dukung dengan pronounciation , vocabulary dan grammar yang baik. untuk itu,, kalo agan mau fokus di speaking, gak mungkin agan cuma pelajari materi speaking doank, agan juga musti tau 3 complement speaking, hihihih

3.ngabisin masa liburan (holiday program)
di pare, banyak kursusan yang menyediakan holiday program dengan jangka waktu yang cukup singkat dengan materi yang padat. ada yang 2 bulan, 1 bulan, bahkan ada yang 2 mingguan,,, asssikk kan,,,

4.teaching program
agan penngen buat kursusan bahasa inggris tapi belum bisa menguasai bahasa inggris????? di point ini agan bisa di kategorikan.
yang menyediakan teaching program, (setau ane nih gan) : BEC ,CELL, Webster dan masih banyak lagi

so,, sebelum berangkat ke pare, tentuin dulu tujuan agan apa,, supya bisa efektif dan tetap fokus ama target aagan agan.

FOOD AND ACCESORIES

aduuuhhhh murah banget gan,,, ayam bakar + lalapan aja cuma 4500 perak gan,,,, mie ayam cuman 3000-3500 perak gan,, waduh,, pokoknya murah abiissss

untuk harga harga kursusan dan camp, agan PM aja yah,,,,
ana punya banyak brosur brosur kursusan di pare,,

seandainya repost,, jangan di bata yah,,,

jangan lupa rate ama cendolnya yahcendolbig
restar - 10/01/2012 10:47 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By w3eee
Yes, ITP = Institutional Testing Program

TOEFL ITP is also a product of ETS.
"The TOEFL ITP tests measure English-language proficiency at the intermediate to advanced levels and are used for academic placement, progress evaluation, exit testing and other situations that do not require a secure testing environment." (http://www.ets.org/tests_products)

so, I think that's why I did my ITP TOEFL in my campus not in the test center because ITP TOEFL doesn't require a secure testing environment. That must be why the result can't be used/transferred to other institution.

ITP TOEFL is from ETS while EPT (English Proficiency Test) is available at any local English training center. I think EPT format can vary from one institution to the others. imo, EPT is a TOEFL prediction. In the end, we have to do the official TOEFL from ETS for its worldwide acceptance. I remember that for a relatively small cost, i got my EPT score from LIA in 2004. I did like a paper based test with additional writing (manual writing) and speaking in a form of an interview. If you did an EPT, i would ask you where/what institution you had your EPT in.

about whether ITP TOEFL is easier or not compared to EPT, I think that depends to the level of ITP (http://www.ets.org/toefl_itp/content/) and the local insititution who gives the EPT. imo, ITP TOEFL level 1 has the same difficulty as PBT TOEFL.

yeay, i got my 1st 'cendol'!!! cendolb. Thank you, gan restar!!

yup, i got my EPT score from LIA too.. there's no writing when i took it (except for writing answers for reading, listening, grammar sections p )..

i got my iBT TOEFL from ETS (last year)..

i dont know what was the level of the ITP that i did, it's for recruitment process of a national bank for MT position, the provider was ETS..

btw, is there any institution in Jakarta for pBT test (w/ the same worldwide acknowledgement like iBT TOEFL from ETS) ?
shellsuper - 11/01/2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

btw, is there any institution in Jakarta for pBT test (w/ the same worldwide acknowledgement like iBT TOEFL from ETS) ?

if you ask about acknowledgement, AFAIK only ETS has the right to provide the PBT test. Right now, if you check the TOEFL test schedule, you can only find IBT test in jakarta. So there is no PBT test anymore \)

http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL/tclists/BOTH_i.html
ivandjaw - 12/01/2012 02:15 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By shellsuper
if you ask about acknowledgement, AFAIK only ETS has the right to provide the PBT test. Right now, if you check the TOEFL test schedule, you can only find IBT test in jakarta. So there is no PBT test anymore \)

http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL/tclists/BOTH_i.html

ETS will no longer provide PBT test not only in Jakarta but the whole Indonesia, thus if there are any institutions offering PBT and promising you that the test certificate will be accepted world wide, it's totally bull-shit! hammer

the only official TOEFL test recognized around the world is provided only by ETS.
SlowBabeh - 12/01/2012 04:58 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Sforzando
Guys, this Saturday I am going to take my first IELTS test in Kuningan. I have took ielts preparation private course to help me gain my target (target = 7).
Yesterday, I took some kind a IELTS simulation, I got 6.5 for listening, 7 for reading, 5.5 for writing and 6 for speaking.

Any advice on how to improve my mark, especially in writing and speaking.
I asked my teacher, and he said that my writing lacks of sophisticated word (not the one which like an academic writing), and needs more linking words. Somehow, when I write something in English (like now), those sophisticated words do not come out.

Also how to get good mark in speaking ( it will be recorded, and I think if I talk to much, I will make more mistakes. But if I just only talk a little, I lose my mark).
The problem is grammar! --_--

Thanks before.

Even you made many mistakes in this writing.
Keep learning is the key.
HotShots - 16/01/2012 11:04 PM

Hey guys, I am new here, so maybe my english is not good. Sorry if I made a mistake in my grammar.

actually I have to take IELTS test soon, and I have to got 6.5 overall, and 6 for writing test.

I heard from my friends that the hardest part of IELTS test is the writing section, is it true?

to be honest, I cannot even write essay in bahasa, and I am afraid that it might hinders my IELTS test.

do you guys have any advice or something that can make me more confident in writing?
rahan - 16/01/2012 11:16 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By HotShots
Hey guys, I am new here, so maybe my english is not good. Sorry if I made a mistake in my grammar.

actually I have to take IELTS test soon, and I have to got 6.5 overall, and 6 for writing test.

I heard from my friends that the hardest part of IELTS test is the writing section, is it true?

to be honest, I cannot even write essay in bahasa, and I am afraid that it might hinders my IELTS test.

do you guys have any advice or something that can make me more confident in writing?
may I? Post the sample of your writing in the writing thread. The thread is listed on the sticky thread in this very same sub forum.
http://m.kaskus.us/thread/946348/2850
From the review, you'll be able to analyse your own strength and weakness in writing. Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
ivandjaw - 17/01/2012 10:59 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By HotShots

write something, post it in one of the thread about writing in kaskus

otherwise you can also ask ur friends who are good in english, and ask him to show your strength and weaknesses in english and how u can improve it

another options, try to search in google for a good writing guideline, some university do offer this guideline for free, try to search OWL by Purdue university, they have a whole bunch of good tips and will give you valuable knowledge in improving your writing skills
VeeniX - 17/01/2012 12:43 PM

hi i'm planning on taking IELTS/TOEFL exam... but i'm still confused whether my english skill is good enough or not.... i'm planning to take some course before i'm taking the exam... is General English class sufficent enough to learn about grammar and tenses ? cz i'm really bad at grammar and tenses :'(

could you guys recommend some good english institution located near karawaci / jakbar ??? i'm really short on fundings so i need an affordable ones.. anyone ??

*plz correct me if my english is wrong.... (though i'm sure there's a lot mistakes here... lol...)
ivandjaw - 17/01/2012 01:04 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By VeeniX
hi i'm planning on taking IELTS/TOEFL exam... but i'm still confused whether my english skill is good enough or not.... i'm planning to take some course before i'm taking the exam... is General English class sufficent enough to learn about grammar and tenses ? cz i'm really bad at grammar and tenses :'(

could you guys recommend some good english institution located near karawaci / jakbar ??? i'm really short on fundings so i need an affordable ones.. anyone ??

*plz correct me if my english is wrong.... (though i'm sure there's a lot mistakes here... lol...)

yes, there are a lot of mistakes in your sentences, however never mind because i get what u mean.

first of all, regardless of your english ability, taking a standardized exam like TOEFL/IELTS is a totally different thing. I would suggest you to get a TOEFL/IETLS preparation course as they are specifically tailored for students who are going to take these tests. Nevertheless, you should have some basic skills in english before taking these preparations as they will assume you have one. Most English institution offer TOEFL/IELTS preparation course, so I believe you won't have any difficulties in finding those. Nevertheless, you want to make sure that they are using an appropriate text book as their guideline.

Since TOEFL test changed to iBT a few years ago, test takers are not expected to answer a specific grammar question as what you would have done in PBT test, nevertheless your grammar will be tested when you are doing the writing section.

My suggestion is to read through this thread as you will find a lot of useful information. If you are running on a tight budget, you may want to ask if any of your friends have any TOEFL textbook published by KAPLAN, Princeton Review, Barron, or other famous publishers. You can borrow it from them (if they allow you to do so), or make a copy (i'm not recommending it as you are actually illegally stealing one's intellectual property). Using these books alone as guideline is sufficient enough to get a fairly good grade.

last but not least, good luck!
tonnyc - 17/01/2012 02:31 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By VeeniX

Dear Veenix,

My recommendation:

When you watch a VCD/DVD, turn the subtitles off. Most of the time the subtitles are wrong anyway, since they weren't done by competent translators. You will actually do more harm relying on those than without. Instead, try to understand the meaning by examining the situation, the tone, the face, and other contextual stuff.

When you listen to LMFAO (or Justin Bieber or whoever your favorite singer is), put on your headphone, listen real carefully, and write down the lyrics as best as you can. Then find the actual lyrics, compare, listen to the song again, and see where your mistakes are. Then sing the song and dance.

Find Anne of Green Gables or Huckleberry Finn. In English. Then read it. Don't like it? Try Sherlock Holmes. Or Eighty Days Around The World. The copyright for those have already expired, so the books should be cheap. If it's still to expensive for you, find them on gutenberg.org, print it, and read it. Really, find the stuff you like and read it.

Classes are useless without actual practice. Practice the above and you'll be fine.

For the actual TOEFL stuff, meh. Get one of those practice exam books. Any year will do. Get them used from a used bookstore. Do it once so you get used to the exam format. That's all you need.
AiNi - 17/01/2012 04:11 PM

klo 470 bagus atau jelek ya?
tonnyc - 17/01/2012 07:45 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By AiNi
klo 470 bagus atau jelek ya?

Not good enough. Most wants 500 or more. The better ones want 550.
Kongming88 - 17/01/2012 09:20 PM
need info
hi..
ive got a situation here.
i had two original ibt Toefl certificate.. but i have sent all of them to d universities i applied.
fortunately, i have scanned d certificate.

i'd like to ask if there is a place which can manage giving additional original certificate with only a scan copy on my hand..

thanks a lot for any possible info available \)
AiNi - 17/01/2012 10:23 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By tonnyc
Not good enough. Most wants 500 or more. The better ones want 550.

not good enough mean enough, is it? or is it poor? D anyway thanks for the answer gan.
Page 39 of 42 | ‹ First  < 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]