English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Total Views: 98131 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 4 of 42 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

Olli3 - 29/08/2010 08:52 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
Please tell me where to DL them.
Suddenly got an offer to teach privately a brother-in-law-to-be who will undergo IELTS Test soon nohope:

Have you tried googling using "the magic word" sis? p

Quote:
Original Posted By luka82
thank you for this. frankly i think i have both advantages and disadvantages among both tests. My Opinion :
1. I'm more comfortable with American spelling. rather than 'programme', i prefer 'program'. its more shorter :P
2. For the accents, it's all fine by me. I've been accustom with many audio visual products from different countries. for example I do not exclusively just watch American movies, but i also enjoy British or Australian movies. Although i never watch Welsh, Scottish, Irish, or New Zealand movies. they say Welsh or Scottish is more harder than British.is it true?
3. Now this is one for IELTS. I mean I think I won't be comfortable talking to small object rather than human being.
Also I prefer talking about everyday dialogue rather than talking science that I'm not familiar with.
4. $165 vs $ 195. Of course i prefer the cheaper one.
But i think the answer got it wrong.From official guide, if maximum time is reached, then IBT will take 250 minutes. Comparing with IELTS which only take 164 minutes, I think I prefer the quicker onePeace:

I'm confused now after reading "c.racking IBT..." by princeton. In first chapter it says that there'll be penalty for wrong answer.
(page 5 : You will get a point for each correct answer and a penalty for each incorrect answer).
Is it true? If it is, then I think IBT is much more harder than IELTS hammers

You're welcome.

Honestly, I've never taken IELTS. I only took TOEFL and it was a long time ago. I didn't have to take any speaking test back then. Lucky me, huh? D That said, I can't help you much in terms of choosing which test is right for you. To me, TOEFL is not that difficult just 'cause I've been exposed to American English more than British English. If you feel like you are comfortable with AE then go for TOEFL. Keep in mind that the difference between the two is not limited to the way they pronounce/write words. They also have differences in vocabulary as well. For example, "mad" in BE means "crazy", while in AE means "angry".

Welsh accent is not that difficult to listen to. It's almost the same as regular English accent except with stronger "r" if I'm not mistaken. I don't think Scottish is that difficult to comprehend as well. They just have funny "o", "u" and "r", that's all ^^. The ones that you should be worried about are Irish and NZ accents. The accents are fine but they tend to speak really fast, which sometimes can be difficult to catch.

Not sure about the time taken to take each test but I remember there were breaks between tests for TOEFL. Have no idea about the scoring system, sorry ^^.

I don't think you'll be having major difficulties as your English is already good. Make sure to get several practice tests (which are widely available online and in book stores) before the D-day to sharpen up your skills. \)
luka82 - 30/08/2010 01:10 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Olli3

You're welcome.

Honestly, I've never taken IELTS. I only took TOEFL and it was a long time ago. I didn't have to take any speaking test back then. Lucky me, huh? D That said, I can't help you much in terms of choosing which test is right for you. To me, TOEFL is not that difficult just 'cause I've been exposed to American English more than British English. If you feel like you are comfortable with AE then go for TOEFL. Keep in mind that the difference between the two is not limited to the way they pronounce/write words. They also have differences in vocabulary as well. For example, "mad" in BE means "crazy", while in AE means "angry".

Welsh accent is not that difficult to listen to. It's almost the same as regular English accent except with stronger "r" if I'm not mistaken. I don't think Scottish is that difficult to comprehend as well. They just have funny "o", "u" and "r", that's all ^^. The ones that you should be worried about are Irish and NZ accents. The accents are fine but they tend to speak really fast, which sometimes can be difficult to catch.

Not sure about the time taken to take each test but I remember there were breaks between tests for TOEFL. Have no idea about the scoring system, sorry ^^.

I don't think you'll be having major difficulties as your English is already good. Make sure to get several practice tests (which are widely available online and in book stores) before the D-day to sharpen up your skills. \)

Yeah, i took TOEFL too early this year, but it’s ITP not PBT. So I don’t know how will the writing test like.

So far the one that dreaded the me most is speaking and the next one is writing. Because i’m a passive speaker, rarely speak with others. I don’t know how will I do in test. I guess i’ll be having stage fright syndrome, will freeze during speaking.takuts

But I’m not too afraid about writing, maybe only need more practice for the test. Having sent emails and applications for higher education alot will help ,right?

Well I guess I need to overcome this soon if I want to get what i want which is accepted in master abroad. I just hope that only one test i need to take to achieve minimum requirement. malu:

About timing, from what i gather :
IBT (in minutes)
Listening = 60-90
reading = 60-90
writing = 50
speaking = 20

IELT ( in minutes)
Listening = 30
reading = 60
writing = 60
speaking = 11-14

As we can see if maximum time achieved, IBT will take longer than IELTS. And If what i read is true,that there’s penalty for wrong answer in IBT, then I guess i already make up my mind. I’m going for IELTS Peace:

Wish me luck agan2 & sisiloveindonesia
KLanese - 30/08/2010 10:42 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By luka82
Yeah, i took TOEFL too early this year, but it’s ITP not PBT. So I don’t know how will the writing test like.

So far the one that dreaded the me most is speaking and the next one is writing. Because i’m a passive speaker, rarely speak with others. I don’t know how will I do in test. I guess i’ll be having stage fright syndrome, will freeze during speaking.takuts

But I’m not too afraid about writing, maybe only need more practice for the test. Having sent emails and applications for higher education alot will help ,right?

Well I guess I need to overcome this soon if I want to get what i want which is accepted in master abroad. I just hope that only one test i need to take to achieve minimum requirement. malu:

About timing, from what i gather :
IBT (in minutes)
Listening = 60-90
reading = 60-90
writing = 50
speaking = 20

IELT ( in minutes)
Listening = 30
reading = 60
writing = 60
speaking = 11-14

As we can see if maximum time achieved, IBT will take longer than IELTS. And If what i read is true,that there’s penalty for wrong answer in IBT, then I guess i already make up my mind. I’m going for IELTS Peace:

Wish me luck agan2 & sisiloveindonesia

Yes bro luka, if we mainly talk about timing and duration, the IELTS will surely last shorter than the TOEFL. It is shorter and more expensive, and a bundle of papers instead of computerized material D

Good luck anyway on your upcoming test! be back soon and share your experience for others later on beer:
greengreen - 31/08/2010 10:55 PM

Hi guys, I have a plan to continue my study abroad next year so I have to take TOEFL test before the end of this year. There's something I want to ask, if I want to learn and prepare by myself which book is better, Longman or Barron's?

Actually I kinda afraid that I can't get the minimum score which is 550 (80 for IBT?). I took ITP test last year at my university and I got 552 for the score, but it's way different than the IBT test right? My biggest fear in IBT is the speaking test section (well I'm not a great talker after all even in Indonesian) \(. Is it enough if I just learn by myself from the prep book or should I take a prep course? Is there any suggestion what should I do to boost my score?

Oh and may I know how long will I get the result of the TOEFL?
Thanks for the answer, sorry if I ask to many questions ;)
Olli3 - 02/09/2010 10:31 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By greengreen
Hi guys, I have a plan to continue my study abroad next year so I have to take TOEFL test before the end of this year. There's something I want to ask, if I want to learn and prepare by myself which book is better, Longman or Barron's?

Actually I kinda afraid that I can't get the minimum score which is 550 (80 for IBT?). I took ITP test last year at my university and I got 552 for the score, but it's way different than the IBT test right? My biggest fear in IBT is the speaking test section (well I'm not a great talker after all even in Indonesian) \(. Is it enough if I just learn by myself from the prep book or should I take a prep course? Is there any suggestion what should I do to boost my score?

Oh and may I know how long will I get the result of the TOEFL?
Thanks for the answer, sorry if I ask to many questions ;)

I've heard Barron's is difficult and quite challenging, thus people usually opt to learn and prepare themselves from that book. In my humble opinion, you shouldn't limit yourself to only learn from one book. If you could take some time off to study and familiarize yourself with variation of questions from both, then you'll do better in the actual test. Throw in Kaplan as well if necessary. D

Taking a prep course is always a great idea 'cause you have an actual person to explain and answer questions should you have any. But if you feel like you could handle things from the books quite OK, then you don't have to spend extra money on a course. My experience, I took a 3-month course and it helped me a lot. Another thing to boost your score, enhance your vocabulary skill. That's the secret right there.

I previously mentioned that I didn't have to take any speaking test back then and it was iBT so I know nothing about that part. Perhaps others could help with that one?

Regarding getting your test result back, I shall let Klanese answer that one. D
Shin-kenger - 02/09/2010 09:46 PM

Hi guys, want to ask a question.

My current situatuon is :
My university requires a certificate of predicted toefl test at least 450 as a requirement to graduate. It only allows predicted score from EF, LIA or ELTI.

But, this afternoon, when i phoned EF, they said, they don't have toefl prediction test. They only have placement test.

As for LIA, the test is Rp. 1.650.000. It confused me, does predictive test require that much money ?

So my question is, is EF or LIA don't have any prediction test for toefl that i can take without enrolling in their course ? I just want to take the prediction test.

Thank you.
KLanese - 03/09/2010 10:16 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Shin-kenger
Hi guys, want to ask a question.

My current situatuon is :
My university requires a certificate of predicted toefl test at least 450 as a requirement to graduate. It only allows predicted score from EF, LIA or ELTI.

But, this afternoon, when i phoned EF, they said, they don't have toefl prediction test. They only have placement test.

As for LIA, the test is Rp. 1.650.000. It confused me, does predictive test require that much money ?

So my question is, is EF or LIA don't have any prediction test for toefl that i can take without enrolling in their course ? I just want to take the prediction test.

Thank you.

Hmmm, lemme try to answer (CMIIW)
Actually, there's no such TOEFL prediction test. It's jut the way of business deal between campuses and English courses. Moreover, TOEFL prediction is not endorsed by ETS as the official institution of such product. The real TOEFL PBT/iBT (trademark name) belongs to ETS only and shall not be used by other institutions without any permission, surely they will get sued if busted D
Well, if certain English courses demand you to pay for almost 1.6 million for only a prediction test of TOEFL, why dont you just register the official ETS iBT TOEFL which has 2 year validity and can be used internationally worldwide? D
Muscleboy - 11/09/2010 01:51 PM

Thank you very much TS for making this thread. I have got a lot of usefull information from this thread.

By the way, I will take an iBT TOEFL next November and at the moment I am studying by myself for the preparation. If you guys can help me for other information that can be usefull for my study, I will be very thank you.

I did Institutional TOEFL in LIA Pramuka last year and my TOEFL Prediction is 509. But I know it is not a guarante that I will get that score. Furthermore since 2005 EPT, in Indonesia, only provided iBT TOEFL which is really diferrent from the PBT one.

I got two questions for you about iBT TOEFL:
First: Since there is no structure section in iBT TOEFL do you think it is useless to study this section for anyone who will take an iBT TOEFL?

Second: If so, then should I change my orientation of study which until now mainly focus on structure section to speaking section (which I predict as the hardest part in iBT TOEFL)?

Thank you very much for your answer.

regards, Muscleboy
KLanese - 14/09/2010 12:42 PM

-moved-
tsiqah - 15/09/2010 03:36 PM
Recommended references to improve your toefl score
Ane udah dua kali ambil tes TOEFL, yang pertama tahun 2008, yang terakhir 2010 dengan skor yang memuaskan. Ternyata eh ternyata, rahasianya simpel banget: BE FAMILIAR with the TEST FORM. Afterwards, study the skills in each session, Listening, Structure, and Writing. There are a lot of courses and books that you might try to improve your TOEFL score.

However, some of them are too complicated and are not able to represent the real form of TOEFL test.

I recommend these books if you wanna learn about skills to beat TOEFL tests:

1. Longman TOEFL handbook
versi gretongannya bisa di g*gapedia.org
This book's format is so simple that a Junior HIgh School students will be easily understand it. In each session, you will be given some skills or type of questions that are commonly appeared in TOEFL test, plus, the way you answer it: SIMPLY and CORRECTLY.
NO NJLIMET AT ALL!

2. Longman TOEFL exercise book A and B
These books are specifically containing the exercises of TOEFL tests. In each books, there are 5 practice tests, and you know what? THE FORM IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS TOEFL PAPER BASED TEST. Meaning that if you do the exercise regularly, you will be accustomed to face the kinds of questions and skills in TOEFL test, and AUTOMATICALLY, will improve your score!

3. Barron's TOEFL
It is quite a good book after you learn and having the exercises from Longman Book.

Next tips to get a high score in TOEFL menyusul gan..

iloveindonesia
tsiqah - 15/09/2010 03:37 PM

bagi-bagi cendolbig dong gan..
msasori - 15/09/2010 09:16 PM

review'y donk gan.
atau kasih link gratisanD
kayaknya emang mesti banyak2 berlatih deh biar mantep score'y.
Muscleboy - 15/09/2010 10:40 PM

Bro KLanese : Thank you very much for your answer and also for your useful secret and tips to get a high score in speaking section. I really appreciate your help.
Please accept my green cendolD
tsiqah - 16/09/2010 12:46 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By msasori
review'y donk gan.

http://ifile.it/ead30l8/

ntuh buat longmannya..
tsiqah - 16/09/2010 02:27 AM
TIPS and TRICKS IN TOEFL TESTs
iloveindonesia

Kate engkong " Experience is the best teacher ", thus my experiences in taking TOEFL tests and teaching TOEFL prep class would give some values to point out. Although TOEFL is purposed to assess the test-takers' ability in comprehending English, it is merely a skill-based test. Why I said so? My friends who are theoretically excellent in English often beated by some others (but not having TOEFL prep class before) often beated by those who took English prep class before taking the TOEFL tests with average English knowledge.

So, TOEFL test is ready to be known or familiarized with.

Here are some tips that I can suggest you:
1. The very simple thing: have an enough sleep a night before the test.
I proved that enough sleep increased concentration, especially in listening section.

2. Have a breakfast.
It's a simple thing, but quite essential. You gonna have about 2-3 hours of test within full concentration. Hungry tummy will not help you much on it. trust me.

3. For listening section:
a. WH questions that are commonly used are:
- Who are the speakers? What is the job of the speakers?
- What does the man/woman implied?
- Where does the conversation taken place?
- What is the man/woman supposed to do next?
- When is the .... happened?
- etc.

b. Read the options while the direction is spoken.
Direction for part A, B and C usually takes couples of minutes. You could read the options/ choices in 2-3 following numbers. Those options will lead you in predicting the kind of questions (see 3.a above)

With a good practice, you could predict the answer even if the second speaker is not speaking yet.

c. in part B and C of listening session, some longer conversations will be spoken. The type of questions is similar to part A. You could use above tricks to do it.

4. In structure, they are commonly about:
- Subject verb agreement: You should notice whether the subject was right (noun/pronoun/noun phrase/noun clause), and the verb fits the subject (singular plural verbs, and various tenses verb)
- word formation: remember that -ion, -ity, -ment belong to noun, -fy, -en, -ize belong to verb, -ly belongs to adverb, -y, -ful belong to adjective.
-noun clause: adjective >- adverb >- noun (example: a well-written letter)

5. In reading session,
- don't read the whole text, you gonna run out of time. Hint: read the questions (without the choices), so you know what information that you should search in the text.
- the place of answer in the text is sequential. When you got the answer at .. paragraph, you will have the next answer at the next sentences.
- type of questions: the word .... at ... line refers to" requires the similar meaning word that is APPROPRIATE to replace the word asked. So, it is not only a synonym, but you need to see the context (sentence)

6. be calm, pray before you do the test. Calm may rise your concentration as well.

the last but not least,

7. remember to bring anything must-bring to the test place, such as: ID card, the receipt, 2B pencils, pens, pencil sharpener.

Good luck!

Gimme a cendol please maho

00ters - 16/09/2010 06:40 AM

wow .. matabelo:

nice tips u got there sis thumbup:

but for the tips number 1, its just hard for me nohope:

anyway, i'll try my best on my TOEFL test \)
00ters - 16/09/2010 06:44 AM

nice info sir thumbup:

i'll try to get some book u've listed in there D D
msasori - 16/09/2010 06:56 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By tsiqah
http://ifile.it/ead30l8/

ntuh buat longmannya..

udah download, tapi di password'in
bagi pass'y donk ganD
KLanese - 16/09/2010 12:10 PM

Hhhmmm...this thread has been relocated by El Stu in here. I wonder why D

Quote:
Original Posted By tsiqah
bagi-bagi cendolbig dong gan..

sure, check your underwear D

Quote:
review'y donk gan.

I've added some links on pejwan D
Why don't u check it firstshakehand

Quote:
Original Posted By Muscleboy
Bro KLanese : Thank you very much for your answer and also for your useful secret and tips to get a high score in speaking section. I really appreciate your help.
Please accept my green cendolD

Ooo yeaaa....I'm freakin' thirsty dude D

Quote:
Original Posted By 00ters
wow .. matabelo:

nice tips u got there sis thumbup:

but for the tips number 1, its just hard for me nohope:

anyway, i'll try my best on my TOEFL test \)

Good luck brada! it's just piece of cake beer:

Quote:
udah download, tapi di password'in
bagi pass'y donk ganD

anyone knows? please? bingung:
tsiqah - 16/09/2010 07:16 PM

password: englishtips.org
Page 4 of 42 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]