English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Grammatical errors in english song lyrics
Total Views: 6736 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 2 of 6 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > 

ronaldi_77 - 03/02/2011 02:16 PM
Redemption song (Bob Marley)
Quote:
Old pirates, yes, they rob I;
Sold I to the merchant ships,
Minutes after they took I
From the bottomless pit.
But my hand was made strong
By the hand of the Almighty.
We forward in this generation
Triumphantly.
Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs,
Redemption songs.

Old pirates, yes, they rob me;
Sold me to the merchant ships,
Minutes after they took me
From the bottomless pit.
ronaldi_77 - 03/02/2011 02:23 PM
Ticket to ride (The Beatles)
Quote:
I think I'm gonna be sad,
I think it's today, yeah.
The girl that's driving me mad
Is going away.

She's got a ticket to ri-hide,
She's got a ticket to ri-hi-hide,
She's got a ticket to ride,
But she don't care.

But she doesn't care.
My English teacher teaches me to use doesn't to make a negative sentence in Simple Present Tense when the subject of the sentence is third singular person.
(i]/<!>\[i) - 03/02/2011 10:56 PM

aye aye aye, guys. English speakers already know that. The mistakes are not even considered mistakes anymore like the following :

Quote:

Linkin Park - Numb

...All I want to do is be more like me and be less like you

Quote:

Sheryl Crow - I all Wanna Do

...All I wanna do is have some fun

Quote:

B-Witched - If It Don't Fit

Quote:

Kelly Clarkson - Since You Been Gone

Quote:

Shania Twain - That Don't Impress Me Much

Above is not considered wrong grammar now and is commonly used. And besides, they speak English since they were born and live in countries where the language is their official language/mother tongue.

We shouldn't criticize them ;)
irrez - 04/02/2011 11:08 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By '(i]/\[i)

We shouldn't criticize them ;)

we don't criticize those of songs. We just study and learn how to make our English grammar even better in our daily activities. ilovekaskus
andre0387 - 07/02/2011 01:06 PM

nice share gan,,
actually i still learning about english...
i haven't known that the liric of the songs are wrong about the grammer...
i still confuse about the "slang" language....anaybody have a e-book about that??n share the link for DL too D

sorry if my grammer is wrong malu
humanoid - 17/02/2011 11:17 PM

I think another reason why there are grammatical errors in songs is because the syllables that they can use is limited to a certain amount, in which depended to the song itself. If adding more syllables would make the lyrics grammatically correct, it would means that they also need to ad more notes. So if adding more notes would sacrifice the harmony of the songs, the musicians would reluctant to do that and instead they just let the lyrics to be grammatically incorrect.

Also, even world famous writes can make grammatical errors. I read somewhere that from charles dickens' manuscript (or it was jean austen??) It was shown that there are significant number of errors in grammar. I'm not sure though. CMIIW \)
aprilfourteenth - 19/02/2011 09:48 PM

I remember one D

Taylor Swift-Our Song

our song is slamming screen door
sneaking out late tapping on your window
we're on the phone and you talk real slow
cause it's late and your mama don't know

it should be 'doesn't'
Noreagaa - 27/05/2011 09:34 PM

I'm sorry but those of what you've called as 'mistakes' actually are not mistakes, but those words are low social class vernacular English, I've learned it in Sociolinguistic class.

Vernacular language generally refers to a language which has not been standardised. in daily live, it is common that people speak that way, but people who speak that way usually considered as low social class or uneducated people.

\) \) \)
RowdyGaga - 28/05/2011 08:25 AM

i'm a songwritter.

I got some enlightment from this thread.

I've been learning how to make song with english lirycs. I tried to understand some western song lyrics, but they made me confused.

I hope i can find the answer here. Grammatical errors in english song lyrics
KnightSmasher - 28/05/2011 09:32 PM

Bonnie Raitt - i can't make you love me

" lay down with me, tell me no lies "

Maybe she did not want to have the word " lie " in two consecutive verses, still no excuse.Grammatical errors in english song lyrics
qhuda - 29/05/2011 12:35 PM

please.. there is no wrong in languange.
megabizland - 31/05/2011 11:27 AM

One of the most famous song by Jacko:
Black or White:
"You can be my brother it don't matter if you're black or white"

Am i right?
Caesarkonyol - 31/05/2011 12:23 PM

nice share ganshakehand

but, in my humble opinon english song doesn't need a good grammar inside lyric 'cause its just like story not formal written..
many songs that was false grammatical, its seem called "SLANK WORD" in english language..
i wanna ask you..
how many bands/singers made a lyric song with good grammatical???bingung:
neng.redjo17 - 31/05/2011 07:33 PM

hemb. i've just known about tht. but, it doesnt matter i think. the important thing is the song quite good ilovekaskus
humanoid - 06/06/2011 12:05 AM

As we all know, generally western people read a lot and many of the lyrics in their songs have literary merits. We can see, for example, in Bob Dyland's songs

the band Klaxons, wrote a song which its title is taken from the novel Gravity's Rainbow. This is one of the hardest books to read, even by people in English speaking country.

this is an article about literary merit in lyrics
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/the-poetry-of-pop-20100514-v3kr.html

So i just feel that it's not my place to criticize the grammar in lyrics, since many of song writers generally are very literate
JinFeng - 22/06/2011 04:19 PM

uhm... I do know that Eminem swears a lot. D

I wonder if he cares about grammar in cursing. D
greenish.geekz - 24/06/2011 11:40 PM

yeah ... finally i found a thread that concerned about grammar in english-base songs ..
i know my grammar-skill isn't better than theirs (songwritters who wrote song lyrics in wrong grammar or slank words) but i found unsuitable words in sentences they used ..

i found this:
daniel beddingfield - he don't love you

thank a lot
see you
sufremix - 30/06/2011 03:48 PM

Good thread n u can read english comics as well. Trust me it's help. So generous
partyscene - 01/07/2011 09:49 AM

lol interesting, i think it's okay dude, you've got no rule in writing a song lol
bankai999 - 07/07/2011 11:29 AM

great thread...it can be a reference for any body final project in their campus..
Page 2 of 6 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Grammatical errors in english song lyrics