English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Grammatical errors in english song lyrics
Total Views: 6736 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 5 of 6 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > 

suneon1407 - 27/12/2011 12:31 AM

Ada lagi dari Irreplaceable nih,

Baby, drop them keys. Hurry up, before your taxi leaves. Standing in the front yard, telling me. How I'm such a fool, talking 'bout.

kyknya lebih cocok klo drop those keys
Kuli Panggul - 02/01/2012 08:07 PM

excellent thread, for me, personally. most of the time, i learn english from songs or comic books. this thread is really helps considering of what i want is to learn formal english, yet i mostly learned it from informal sources.

thank you. please, update yg banyak p
amel06 - 03/01/2012 06:37 PM

Irreplaceable by Rihanna

Quote:
You must not know 'bout me
I can have another you by tomorrow
So don't you ever for a second get to thinking you're irreplaceable

Correction:
Quote:
That must be the Verb 1 after to so:
So don't you ever for a second get to think you're irreplaceable

D
phaditama - 27/01/2012 06:15 PM

London bridge is going down, going down...

Hell no, London bridge is there and not going down anytime soon!

LoL...
borntolose - 12/02/2012 02:17 PM

nothing perfect, even bule.. Peace:

When I'm talking to others, I never care 'bout grammar, because that can make me confuse
neesnya - 29/02/2012 09:47 PM

well,no one can blame the artists for making some grammatical mistakes,they are not oxford graduates either,

there are no rules for artists in making lyrics,they can make whatever they want,it's their nature to do in their own lol.
mortalone - 10/03/2012 01:09 AM

let me write down what in my mind.
based on my background study, it cannot be said as a grammatical errors.
In literature (poem, prose, play, etc.) the author/writer can use the language without consider any grammatical rules, it is free, as long as it is meaningful.
dimasjos - 10/03/2012 10:00 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By mortalone
let me write down what in my mind.
based on my background study, it cannot be said as a grammatical errors.
In literature (poem, prose, play, etc.) the author/writer can use the language without consider any grammatical rules, it is free, as long as it is meaningful.

The art world truly has its own rules regarding of language, but still... for learning purposes, this is Fun... malus :ngacir
onearata - 11/03/2012 06:30 PM

yeahhh som times it's no problem for most people or Listener because LAnguage is a system of Arbitary use for Human commnicatiuon and it is alive D
leenyul - 12/03/2012 12:31 AM

salken gan,,
ikutan nimbrung dong,, shakehand
billyard - 26/03/2012 01:18 PM

hmm how about the fact that the word in the song resulting a new word in dictionary for example bodylicious (cmiiw) from destiny child who become a new entry in the dictionary
KaptenAOC - 28/03/2012 07:58 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By popmiebakar
Who said English songs need good grammar?

waaah Good Answer ngakak
i agree with you ngakak

shiningallspark - 31/03/2012 11:01 AM

wow, it's really cool thread.
What I have done recently was I tried to find the grammatical error on facebook status or comments. But starting from now, I'll try to find the grammatical errors in English songs.

I'll post later when I find one...
shiningallspark - 31/03/2012 11:10 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By onearata
yeahhh som times it's no problem for most people or Listener because LAnguage is a system of Arbitary use for Human commnicatiuon and it is alive D

Yeah, It's no problem at all. But, what I understand about TS is that TS is trying to help really beginner learners aware that the songs they like to listen to are containing grammatical error. Thus, they will not use that pattern at school subject. CMIIW

Quote:
Original Posted By billyard
hmm how about the fact that the word in the song resulting a new word in dictionary for example bodylicious (cmiiw) from destiny child who become a new entry in the dictionary

I think it's out of topic, new words are called coining (CMIIW) or sometimes we create new word by combining two words in one word (blending).. What TS intends to discuss here is about grammar error. CMIIW
mymaroon - 07/04/2012 08:28 AM

how about this :

Mc-donnald Quote :

I'm Loving it...!!!!!!!

Love = is a special verb. if we want to say "I Love You" to someone or something, we just say "I love it"
cmiiw
islamp - 08/04/2012 09:39 PM

Tick tock, on the clock
But the party don't stop now
-Tick Tock by Kesha
mujahidgrafis - 09/04/2012 02:19 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By nakamaru aoi
nice share i think. just don't be overwhelming. this thread is fun anyway ^^

However there're some songs that use "do" for "he" or "she". I ever wondered how could it be like that way? LOL. but then i know that it's just a colloquial words (as in Indonesia, we won't say "tidak" when "nggak" works :Peace\). Yet, for some basic learner, it may sound contrary and a bit confusing, right? DD

"She's got a ticket to ride, but she don't care..." (Ticket to Ride-The Beatles)
mujahidgrafis - 09/04/2012 02:22 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By borntolose
nothing perfect, even bule.. Peace:

When I'm talking to others, I never care 'bout grammar, because that can make me confuse

Yeah, but in formal situations you do need grammar. Yb
loc - 10/04/2012 02:20 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By tsiqah
iloveindonesia Hi all EF loungers iloveindonesia

Believe it or not,
Even English songs are written in English, but still, there are some grammatical errors in it.

It might be caused by the urge of a rhyme, in which the song writer wants the same sound among the lines. Or, because the English that was used in the songs is daily-used (colloquaial English) instead of the formal English.

However, it is still interesting to find that some cool songs have some gramamatical errors in it..

kiss Here are some:

Come on, find the errors in your fave songs and let others know!maho

Quote:
Original Posted By tsiqah
Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad

Quote:
Original Posted By rharaz

yep, i agree with you. shakehand2
let's just learn from the errors. hehehe

"You must not know 'bout me
I can have another you by tomorrow
So don't you ever for a second get to thinking you're irreplaceable"
(Beyonce - Irreplaceable)

in good grammar, it should be >>> "So don't you ever for a second get to think you're irreplaceable"

Quote:
Original Posted By amel06
Irreplaceable by Rihanna

Correction: D

actually, lads and lassies, there's nothing wrong with the grammar in the lyrics in your posts D

Quote:
Original Posted By (iii)
aye aye aye, guys. English speakers already know that. The mistakes are not even considered mistakes anymore like the following :

Above is not considered wrong grammar now and is commonly used. And besides, they speak English since they were born and live in countries where the language is their official language/mother tongue.

We shouldn't criticize them ;)

oh, but the last three songs/lines ARE grammatically wrong (the first two are correct); but yes, they did it intentionally \)

Quote:
Original Posted By edwardl95
IMHO.. they did it on purpose, and it rhymes because of that, even if it is grammatically wrong, the melody or whatever that is (sorry, i'm not good in music thingy), fits perfectly...

bull's eye! it's called 'poetic license'. :thumbup

Quote:
Original Posted By sijessie
actually the sentence "like a child misses their blanket" is true.

i think you tried to correct the right sentence into a wrong one.

totally agree with you, sis!

Quote:
Original Posted By emyouel
Everybody knew you are liar

Uhhm it's wrong gramatically , right?

Everybody knew you were liar

YES! and not even intentionally done or in the name of poetic license, so it's a bit embarrassing..

Quote:
Original Posted By TheRiverStyx

It's correct. If you're using the word "if" to suppose something that is impossible, you use "were". e.g. If I were you

(source)

'was' is not wrong in that kind of sentence, but yes, americans and formal usage prefer 'were'.

here's mine:
     What do I gotta do to keep you from doing this to me? (Sugarland - Keep You)
gogofun - 11/04/2012 08:19 AM

I appreciate TS good Idea to help beginners learning english. we can study English from any source, even from English language musics. as we know, music doesn't not any grammar.

Good Job TS
Sorry for my bad English
Page 5 of 6 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > Grammatical errors in english song lyrics