English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > can I get 550 (TOEFL) with a 5-6 day preparation?
Total Views: 5962 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 2 of 5 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 > 

aSAPlover - 27/02/2011 07:52 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Brutallica

Quote:
Original Posted By Zahriansyah
the key is:whatever you do, just try to stay calm all the time..let all the burden and fear out of your mind..

I agree with you.
Same experience too.
I got nothing to lose at that time, just more focused in listening section.

\) if I combine those two replies above, both of u have just hit the nail of my problem (occurred at listening section) on the head.

I was supposed to stay calm although I encountered the following scapegoat ;)

Spoiler for "my scapegoat"

My situation:
Unfortunately, I sat beside the door.
It's a annoying if during the listening section,
the invigilator/participants went inside/out the test centre because of coming late or receiving a phone call.

I don't blame this situation as the scapegoat, but it bothered my concentration ;)

however, if I practice some toefl listening exercises @ home :kr
I have no significant problem although I have some disturbances such as television sound... I usually get a good score (575-600) at this section
aSAPlover - 27/02/2011 07:56 AM

hi...

I just updated this thread by adding my toefl score result at the first post...

thanks
Coentrao - 28/02/2011 06:47 PM

of course you can bro iloveindonesia
congratulations with your score iloveindonesia
outerheaven - 01/03/2011 08:45 AM

it really depends on how strong your basics some people dont need to prepare at all to get such score while others are really struggling just to be ready for the test ....
aSAPlover - 01/03/2011 04:39 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Coentrao
of course you can bro iloveindonesia
congratulations with your score iloveindonesia

thanks bro Coentro ;)

Quote:
Original Posted By outerheaven
it really depends on how strong your basics some people dont need to prepare at all to get such score while others are really struggling just to be ready for the test ....

Correct..
I think I am the latter.
I must struggle to achieve that score... It is not a piece of cake for me.
el_stup1do - 01/03/2011 08:03 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By aSAPlover
thanks bro Coentro ;)

Correct..
I think I am the latter.
I must struggle to achieve that score... It is not a piece of cake for me.

Well what I did when I took TOEFL is within 7 days of the test, I start grinding through the BARON's TOEFL book. I spent at least 2 hours a day just doing the exercises and see what mistakes I've made. Being a standardized test, there's always a pattern on what they test for. I remember vividly that one realization I made is that there is no "despite of", it's either "in spite of" or "despite" and that question appears all the time on the test (I got it on my test too). So picking up those little things is a big help, of course it varies from person to person.

Final result: 583 (not sure what that is in the new score) which is not bad.
flyinfish - 01/03/2011 10:51 PM

Possibility
federerfreaker - 02/03/2011 12:07 PM

congratulations bro.. ur hardwork paid off..
where ru goin anyway..
aSAPlover - 02/03/2011 08:24 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By flyinfish
Possibility

Yup, I hope it is always possible for me ;)
aSAPlover - 02/03/2011 08:34 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By el_stup1do
Well what I did when I took TOEFL is within 7 days of the test,

Hi stup1do, How r u?

Yup a long time ago, in a galaxy far far far far away... ;)

Quote:

I start grinding through the BARON's TOEFL book. I spent at least 2 hours a day just doing the exercises and see what mistakes I've made. Being a standardized test, there's always a pattern on what they test for. I remember vividly that one realization I made is that there is no "despite of", it's either "in spite of" or "despite" and that question appears all the time on the test (I got it on my test too).

I used e-book instead of book. Too many e-books, I couldn't finish all of them. I spent at least 4 hours/day.
There is no longer "despite of" or "in spite of" in 2011 ;).
My friend told me she ever got "a despite of question" in around 2004/2005.

an "I-couldn't-agree-more" question was ever famous as well.

Quote:

Final result: 583 (not sure what that is in the new score) which is not bad.

wew.. I hope I can get that score soon later (Amien). I really need '575' badly.

By reading ur posts, I think u were supposed to get 600 something... What was 'the scapegoat' then? It was PBT, right? Perhaps, not including writing and speaking.

source:

Quote:
Along time ago, in a galaxy far far far far away I partake in a TOEFL test, hehehe. At that time it was still paper based and it was pretty massive, a large room filled with tons of people (my guess is around 40-50) sitting on those tablet arm chair desk. There weren't enough room for the question booklet and the scantron so I had to put the booklet on my lap.

It was definitely not a fun experience, luckily I only have to take it once. Ahh those were the days.

salam
aSAPlover - 02/03/2011 08:40 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By federerfreaker
congratulations bro.. ur hardwork paid off..

Paid off? Not yet bro. cd "cape rasanya.."

It seems my journey is still far away, but I do hope it is very close now... ;)

The requirement is now not 550, but at least 570 TOEFL or 6.5 IELTS.
So I am still struggling now. I have to make it in less then 1 month. Sounds Impossible for me. I plan to undertake IELTS test next month...

Quote:
Original Posted By federerfreaker

where r u goin anyway..

I hope I can go abroad... Amien ya Allah. malu
el_stup1do - 02/03/2011 09:34 PM

Quote:
Hi stup1do, How r u?

Yup a long time ago, in a galaxy far far far far away... ;)

I used e-book instead of book. Too many e-books, I couldn't finish all of them. I spent at least 4 hours/day.
There is no longer "despite of" or "in spite of" in 2011 ;).
My friend told me she ever got "a despite of question" in around 2004/2005.

an "I-couldn't-agree-more" question was ever famous as well.

wew.. I hope I can get that score soon later (Amien). I really need '575' badly.

By reading ur posts, I think u were supposed to get 600 something... What was 'the scapegoat' then? It was PBT, right? Perhaps, not including writing and speaking.

source:

salam

I'm sure things have changed, just be sure to train on a more recent materials to see the recurring patterns.

Well 583 is decent for a high school student, if I recall 550 was the "standard" at the time. Needless to say I was lazy to study and multiple choice just doesn't "click" with me, I always second guess stuff.

Good luck on the test !
wiendandiwant - 04/03/2011 02:41 PM

Quote:
Paid off? Not yet bro. cd "cape rasanya.."

So I am still struggling now. I have to make it in less then 1 month. Sounds Impossible for me. I plan to undertake IELTS test next month...

just focus on the grammar... and if i may suggest, get a barron book. Their reading materials are the same type with the actual test. And do you have speaking part on the pbt?
aSAPlover - 05/03/2011 02:30 PM

Quote:
I'm sure things have changed, just be sure to train on a more recent materials to see the recurring patterns.

Well 583 is decent for a high school student, if I recall 550 was the "standard" at the time. Needless to say I was lazy to study and multiple choice just doesn't "click" with me, I always second guess stuff.

Good luck on the test !

Yup, I couldn't agree more, 583 is indeed decent for a high school student.
If u dont like multiple choice than IELTS is more suitable for u.
In IELTS listening section, we have to write our answer. If we know the answer but our spelling is wrong then the answer is wrong.
But in IELTS listening there is no trick like "couldn't agree more" and so on.
The answer is what we hear.

The problem is that they talk in British accent. It will then a problem for those who get used to American accent like me malus

salam
aSAPlover - 05/03/2011 02:35 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By wiendandiwant
just focus on the grammar... and if i may suggest, get a barron book. Their reading materials are the same type with the actual test. And do you have speaking part on the pbt?

thanks for the suggestion...
is there any IELTS book written by baron, btw? because my upcoming test is IELTS...
wiendandiwant - 05/03/2011 05:04 PM

im not really sure about IELTS cause I did not take it... sorry
freshsoyamilk - 17/03/2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

So I am still struggling now. I have to make it in less then 1 month. Sounds Impossible for me. [B]I plan to undertake IELTS test next month[/B]...

hi, i also plan to take that test in next few moth....but unfortunately, my english is so poor...
I'm afraid if i cant pass the test especially for writing test..
zobic - 18/03/2011 01:54 PM

i have a plan to take the test of TOEFL or maybe IELTS too
can u suggest me please, where is the good place for that test?
and what i must learn for pass the test? with at lease 550 in score.
thanks in advance

nb: sory for my bad english. i already learning right now D
shayne - 20/03/2011 01:38 AM

H, can you tell me the information about this TOEFL ITP test?
where is the place and the institution, the fees, and the time, and any useful information? i really need this, i'm looking forward to this, thx a lot
aSAPlover - 20/03/2011 07:20 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By shayne
H, can you tell me the information about this TOEFL ITP test?
where is the place and the institution, the fees, and the time, and any useful information? i really need this, i'm looking forward to this, thx a lot

TOEFL ITP tests provide convenient, affordable English proficiency tests that can be used for institutional placement, progress evaluation, exit testing and other situations that don't require a secure environment. More than 500,000 ITP tests are administered worldwide each year, and that number continues to grow. The TOEFL ITP tests consist of previously administered TOEFL English-language tests and are used to evaluate English as a second language skill for academic purposes.

The TOEFL® ITP tests consist of previously administered TOEFL paper-based test forms. They are used to identify students' current levels of proficiency, to evaluate progress at the end of a course, for placement in a program of study, for screening for scholarship programs, or to complete a graduation requirement. The TOEFL ITP tests cannot be used as substitutes for the actual TOEFL test.

The TOEFL ITP tests evaluate nonnative English speakers' skills in three areas:
* Listening Comprehension — measures the ability to understand English, including short and long conversations and short talks or lectures
* Structure and Written Expression — measures the ability to recognize standard written English
* Reading — measures the ability to read and understand short passages at the university level

Multiple test forms exist, and the test can be administered throughout the year. Your institution orders the number of test books it requires from ETS or your ETS Preferred Associate. Once you receive the testing materials, you use your own staff and facilities to administer the test whenever you wish.

Institutions are licensed to administer TOEFL ITP tests to individuals or to groups. The time required for administration is approximately two hours for Level 1 (TOEFL ITP tests) and 1.5 hours for Level 2 (Pre-TOEFL Tests).

can I get 550 (TOEFL) with a 5-6 day preparation?

After the test, examinee answer sheets are returned to ETS or to your TOEFL representative for scoring. Scores are available approximately 3 – 7 days after receipt of the answer sheets.

Each section is scored separately to assist you in determining which skills need more work, enabling you to tailor learning activities to meet the needs of each student.

If you would like more practice materials, you can download some sample materials from the following link:
http://www.ets.org/toefl/pbt/prepare/sample_questions

FEE : $30 usd

TEST Centers
Usually every uni in indo has 1 TOEFL ITP test centre, just contact them.
Or contact Indonesian International Education Foundation (IIEF) then ask the test centers closed to you.

Indonesian International Education Foundation (IIEF)
Menara Imperium, 28th Floor, Suite B
Metropolitan Kuningan Superblok, Kav. 1
Jl. H. R. Rasuna Said
Jakarta 12980, Indonesia

Phone: +62-21-831-7330
Fax: +62-21-831-7331
E-mail: [email]iief@indo.net.id[/email]

Schedules
Every test center has its own schedule, u can ask them directly...
Compared to other test centers, I think NESO and IIEF provide ITP test toefl more frequently...
Page 2 of 5 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > can I get 550 (TOEFL) with a 5-6 day preparation?