English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > can I get 550 (TOEFL) with a 5-6 day preparation?
Total Views: 5962 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 3 of 5 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 > 

aSAPlover - 20/03/2011 07:40 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By zobic
i have a plan to take the test of TOEFL or maybe IELTS too
can u suggest me please, where is the good place for that test?
and what i must learn for pass the test? with at lease 550 in score.
thanks in advance

nb: sory for my bad english. i already learning right now D

Score target

long2 time ago, 500 was a good target, then the target rose to 550.
nowadays 580 is the minimum target.

what u must learn?

Personally I just read toefl related ebooks. I dont take any TOEFL course.
https://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?t=3963667

pls read/discuss it at the following link: https://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?t=5021642

where is the good place for that test?
do u mean a good TOEFL test center or a good toefl course?
shayne - 20/03/2011 01:18 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By aSAPlover
TOEFL ITP tests provide convenient, affordable English proficiency tests that can be used for institutional placement, progress evaluation, exit testing and other situations that don't require a secure environment. More than 500,000 ITP tests are administered worldwide each year, and that number continues to grow. The TOEFL ITP tests consist of previously administered TOEFL English-language tests and are used to evaluate English as a second language skill for academic purposes.

The TOEFL® ITP tests consist of previously administered TOEFL paper-based test forms. They are used to identify students' current levels of proficiency, to evaluate progress at the end of a course, for placement in a program of study, for screening for scholarship programs, or to complete a graduation requirement. The TOEFL ITP tests cannot be used as substitutes for the actual TOEFL test.

The TOEFL ITP tests evaluate nonnative English speakers' skills in three areas:
* Listening Comprehension — measures the ability to understand English, including short and long conversations and short talks or lectures
* Structure and Written Expression — measures the ability to recognize standard written English
* Reading — measures the ability to read and understand short passages at the university level

Multiple test forms exist, and the test can be administered throughout the year. Your institution orders the number of test books it requires from ETS or your ETS Preferred Associate. Once you receive the testing materials, you use your own staff and facilities to administer the test whenever you wish.

Institutions are licensed to administer TOEFL ITP tests to individuals or to groups. The time required for administration is approximately two hours for Level 1 (TOEFL ITP tests) and 1.5 hours for Level 2 (Pre-TOEFL Tests).

can I get 550 (TOEFL) with a 5-6 day preparation?

After the test, examinee answer sheets are returned to ETS or to your TOEFL representative for scoring. Scores are available approximately 3 – 7 days after receipt of the answer sheets.

Each section is scored separately to assist you in determining which skills need more work, enabling you to tailor learning activities to meet the needs of each student.

If you would like more practice materials, you can download some sample materials from the following link:
http://www.ets.org/toefl/pbt/prepare/sample_questions

FEE : $30 usd

TEST Centers
Usually every uni in indo has 1 TOEFL ITP test centre, just contact them.
Or contact Indonesian International Education Foundation (IIEF) then ask the test centers closed to you.

Indonesian International Education Foundation (IIEF)
Menara Imperium, 28th Floor, Suite B
Metropolitan Kuningan Superblok, Kav. 1
Jl. H. R. Rasuna Said
Jakarta 12980, Indonesia

Phone: +62-21-831-7330
Fax: +62-21-831-7331
E-mail: [email]iief@indo.net.id[/email]

Schedules
Every test center has its own schedule, u can ask them directly...
Compared to other test centers, I think NESO and IIEF provide ITP test toefl more frequently...

wow, thank a lot for the information, i really appreciate it.
akewkaskuser - 25/03/2011 06:42 PM

i got 504 score with 1 day preparation. G_G
FrozenFlame - 26/03/2011 11:58 AM

Quote:
hi guys,

I'm gonna take TOEFL test (ITP-PBT) next week
yup only 7 days to go...

I had no special preparation done whatsoever for this test.

However i hv started my preparation from today.
Due to my activities, I only can spare around 4 hours a day.

My target score is 550 because 600 is only a dream for me.

Two Questions:

1. Do u reckon I can achieve the target?

As a clue : u can assess my English skill by reading my thread on the following link:
https://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?p=350242189 (Grammar analysis of FIFA's letter)

2. There r many TOEFL books outthere, What book I have to read?
which one is better > longman, Kaplan, Barron, Longman, or Cambridge?

thanks in advance for help and opinion

regards
aSAPlover

Spoiler for "My toefl® results"

Target = 550
30% = No Way 70% = Yes

can I get 550 (TOEFL) with a 5-6 day preparation?

Thanks to kaskusers who gave me tips, suggestions, n wishes... \)

Thanks to kaskusers who said "no you cannot", "i dnt think so" and "you cannot do it". These kind of replies indeed motivated me positively ;)
Thanks to kaskusers who replied "why not?" or "yes u can" . These kind of replies forced me to prove that what u r saying is true ;)

[spoiler="my scapegoat"]
My situation:
Unfortunately, I sat beside the door.
It's a annoying if during the listening section,
the invigilator/participants went inside/out the test centre because of coming late or receiving a phone call.

I don't blame this situation as the scapegoat, but it bothered my concentration ;)

[/spoiler]

Yes you can, totally.

I got 585 score without preparation AT ALL.

I believe with preparation I can get around 600 scores D

As long as we still using proper and good English, it won't just go away D
aSAPlover - 26/03/2011 05:34 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By akewkaskuser
i got 504 score wit
h 1 day preparation. G_G

I think if u prepared the test in 5 days like i did, then u would have a much better score ;)
aSAPlover - 26/03/2011 05:39 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By FrozenFlame

I got 585 score without preparation AT ALL.

I wish I were u, I would then be very happy indeed.. \)
azer89 - 29/03/2011 07:22 PM

i got same experience with you, my toefl score in december is 507, and on 14 March i had another toefl test and you know my score is?

Spoiler for my score

i got 550

it is not impossible, it just need a lot of effort
aSAPlover - 30/03/2011 05:10 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By azer89
i got same experience with you, my toefl score in december is 507, and on 14 March i had another toefl test and you know my score is?

i got 550

it is not impossible, it just need a lot of effort

Long2 time ago, 500 was a good target, then the target rose to 550.
nowadays 580 is the minimum target.

Thus, our score is still far away lower than the minimum score which we had better have...
shayne - 01/04/2011 06:34 PM

only got 503 in 2 days preparation, still need to learn alot \(
ivandjaw - 02/04/2011 02:28 AM

in my opinion, when you have decided to take a TOEFL test (which require you to pay a substantial amount of money, at least for an English test) then the problem is not about whether is it possible to get a score of more than 550 within 7 days.

the problem is about how prepared are you. if you have a good english background or you have lived in an english speaking country for quite some time, then 550 is really not a big deal. but no matter how good you are, you must at least get to know the pattern of the test, so that you are better prepared to answer those questions.
ci3d - 02/04/2011 02:50 AM

yes, off course you can guys!! \)
hajimerou - 06/04/2011 09:46 PM

I've got 520 for my TOEFL test without any preparation.
Maybe it's not really wise to achieve 550 points by preparing in such a few days. I think it'll be much better if you keep trying everyday, make english as your common language (i do speak english at home). hmmm... try to play english online game (international server so you meet lots of people and forced to speak english all the time, hahaha, enjoy it iloveindonesia)
aSAPlover - 14/05/2011 10:03 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By hajimerou
I've got 520 for my TOEFL test without any preparation.
Maybe it's not really wise to achieve 550 points by preparing in such a few days.

yeah it is a bit not wise, but sometimes we have no enough time and energy to study more often because we have something else to do ... ;) 1 day is only 24 hours...

Quote:

I think it'll be much better if you keep trying everyday, make english as your common language (i do speak english at home).

correct, but I dont speak english at home. I speak local language...

Quote:

hmmm... try to play english online game (international server so you meet lots of people and forced to speak english all the time, hahaha, enjoy it

Never do I play online games (even the offline ones),
It is simply I have no enough time to do that...

iloveindonesia
Hafidseptian - 15/05/2011 07:06 AM

came on, 550 that's a hight score , u know how much my score in tofel??? 480 it's bad. and now i want try again in my course place... bad huh??? ilovekaskus
aSAPlover - 16/05/2011 03:06 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Hafidseptian
came on, 550 that's a hight score , u know how much my score in tofel??? 480 it's bad. and now i want try again in my course place... bad huh??? ilovekaskus

When we can say a low score or a high score? it depends on our target.

For instances:

1. TOEFL score requirement for applying CPNS at Dinas PU is 450. Then we can say your score (480) is good enough. However, if you want to apply an international scholarship, then your score (480) is sure not enough.

2. If our target is to get letter of offer (LOA) from Cornell University , then 580 is not enough because 600 is the minimum score.

Anyway, let's study harder and a bit smarter, then re-take the TOEFL test if you are not satisfied with your current score. I am sure you will then achieve your target score eventually. ;)
ivandjaw - 16/05/2011 04:09 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Hafidseptian

it should be

"come on! 550? That's considered high enough for me. Do you want to know what is my TOEFL score? Mine was 480 and it was bad. I want to retry (retake?) the test at my English's course institution.

Comment: 550 is not high, indeed it's the normal score for those who want to study in english speaking country (600 is needed for those reputable university).

Quote:
When we can say a low score or a high score? it depends on our target.

For instances:

1. TOEFL score requirement for applying CPNS at Dinas PU is 450. Then we can say your score (480) is good enough. However, if you want to apply an international scholarship, then your score (480) is sure not enough.

2. If our target is to get letter of offer (LOA) from Cornell University , then 580 is not enough because 600 is the minimum score.

Anyway, let's study harder and a bit smarter, then re-take the TOEFL test if you are not satisfied with your current score. I am sure you will then achieve your target score eventually. ;)

This is trus, TOEFL is an English test thus it will be needed by organization who are doing their business in English. For the case where English is not their first language of conduct, still TOEFL (at a lower standard) is needed since English is an international language.

Study hard won't make you successful, study smart & hard!
aSAPlover - 21/05/2011 12:35 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By ivandjaw
it should be

550 is not high, indeed it's the normal score for those who want to study in english speaking country (600 is needed for those reputable university).

yes correct, I also think that 550 is not a high score.
However, 500 ITP TOEFL score is enough to apply for a postgraduate program at a reputable university in Indo.

600 PBT or 100 for iBT? It is indeed my impossible dream. I wont think about it.

My current dream score is 580 or 92 for iBT with at least 22 for every band.
May Allah makes this dream come true, amien.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
{pls note : "Someone please yell at me in case you find any mistakes on my comment in terms of grammar, diction, spelling, etc..."}
ivandjaw - 22/05/2011 08:39 AM

Quote:
yes correct, I also think that 550 is not a high score.
However, 500 ITP TOEFL score is enough to apply for a postgraduate program at a reputable university in Indo.

600 PBT or 100 for iBT? It is indeed my impossible dream. I wont think about it.

My current dream score is 580 or 92 for iBT with at least 22 for every band.
May Allah makes this dream come true, amien.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
{pls note : "Someone please yell at me in case you find any mistakes on my comment in terms of grammar, diction, spelling, etc..."}

You should change the term from dream to objective because I believe you will be able to do it if you study hard.

600 for iBT? It's very possible, in fact a friend of mine get 116 out of 120 within 3-4 days preparation, while I get somewhere about 110 for the same preparation period (the test was conducted in the morning and I think I'm still too sleepy that I miss some reading questions \(). So it's not impossible to do.

But you must be aware of your own ability and do spend longer time if you are not that familiar enough with English.
aSAPlover - 22/05/2011 08:26 PM

Quote:
You should change the term from dream to objective because I believe you will be able to do it if you study hard.

I still prefer to say it a dream rather than mention it an objective.

100 iBT is my objective? I am sure not. Even for a dream, I classify 100 as an impossible dream no matter how smart/hard I study. 92 is my current dream.

Quote:

600 for iBT? It's very possible, in fact a friend of mine get 116 out of 120 within 3-4 days preparation, while I get somewhere about 110 for the same preparation period (the test was conducted in the morning and I think I'm still too sleepy that I miss some reading questions \(). So it's not impossible to do.

Impossible for me, it does not mean that it is impossible for others as well.

I bet you could get 100 or more even without preparation whatsoever.
I meant every word. ;)

Quote:

But you must be aware of your own ability and do spend longer time if you are not that familiar enough with English.

Yup I am aware enough of how bad my English is. ;)
That's why I wont set my dream to high...

Thanks for your suggestion, anyway. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
mergers09 - 08/06/2011 12:24 AM

it really depends on your aim at taking toefl test.. If you face toefl test just to pass it as it is a compulsory from your department, you may get 500 above by having a 4 to 5 day preparation. But If your aim is to possess english as your second language to communicate, of course a 4 to 5 day preparation will not be enough. So it really depends on you, but I do believe you can pass 500. What you have to do is studying your choosen book a lot, the a good score will be in your hand. \)
Page 3 of 5 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > can I get 550 (TOEFL) with a 5-6 day preparation?