English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > (ask) the best way learning english, grammar first or vocab?
Total Views: 10257 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 11 of 14 | ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > 

dameregen - 10/02/2012 11:39 AM

I used to ask the exact same question but I found a better way to learn both : Movies with english subtitle. It's a good and fun way to learn english. From now on every time you want to watch a movie or a tv show try to use english sub instead of Indonesian. That way I believe you can improve both your grammar and vocab, even tho sometimes they don't use the right form of grammar but hey, isn't it good to know some english-slang daily conversation? D
Hope it helps~
dameregen - 10/02/2012 11:42 AM

dopost >>_
dameregen - 10/02/2012 11:44 AM

triple >>__
yupangestu - 11/02/2012 03:25 PM

Language is not about memorizing all of the word, language is about speaking so IMHO, you can speak the words, and the words may memorized automatically.
borntolose - 12/02/2012 02:02 PM

I think the most essential one when you are learning a foreign language is vocab.
Like children, they never know about grammar, right ? they imitate what they have heard.
humanoid - 22/02/2012 07:49 AM

reading books

it's not just adding your focab, but also learn on how proper sentences shold be written

try novel, or if it is too long, read novela, which the pages often no longer than 200 pages. Or stort story also helps
pami - 05/03/2012 04:38 PM

so what kind of book do you recommend?
please, dont just only say you have to read a book or you have to watch the movie.
say what kind of book too, or the title of the movie.
so the people wtih the low IQ can know what they need to do.
dimasjos - 10/03/2012 08:04 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By pami
so what kind of book do you recommend?
please, dont just only say you have to read a book or you have to watch the movie.
say what kind of book too, or the title of the movie.
so the people wtih the low IQ can know what they need to do.

any book and any movie will do, as long as they are in ENGLISH and, for movies, use English subtitle...

It's what you do AFTER you read and watch that's more important. Essentially it is not just READING or WATCHING, we also have to try to analyse it... this sentence is used in this occasion, that one on other situation, etc. etc.
and analyzing how the character express the sentences is also important.

Best thing is to have what you might call, an "English Club" and have all the members watch the same movie or read the same book and then discuss it when you all come together...

Even better, when you can have a PRESENTATION and DEBATE on the subject, because when you are presenting and debating, you are then forced to not just SPEAK in English but THINK and ANALYZE in ENGLISH, to get your point across... and it's a lot of fun as well...

hope that helps
dimasjos - 10/03/2012 08:52 AM

By the way, as for myself, since I was a fan of Role Playing Games and any movies with medieval settings, naturally my choice of novels are in the Science Fiction - Fantasy genre, which includes :

- The Game of Thrones series
very deep, complex and R-rated story, full of political intrigues & dark plots
(the TV series is also very good, but I learn more English reading the novel)

- The Shannara series
Start with The Sword of Shannara, very good, if underrated series, imho

- Lord of the Rings Trilogy + The Hobbit
The title says it all, one of the most recommended fantasy series

Also, playing role playing games helps too, especially heavy, Story-driven RPGs... I started playing RPG on SNES console (can be played with emulators nowadays on PC, IPAD, Android phones, etc... illegally of course so please don't ask me where to find them malus :ngacirs\) and my recommended RPG games are Final Fantasy IV & VI, Breath of Fire I & II.
sayajujur - 10/03/2012 07:45 PM

this morning, i met my teacher from lpia, he is a british. he talked to me that, if you wanna speak english, the first think to do is forget the grammar but you must improve your vocab and your thongue. if you talk with foreign people do don't think they're american or british. but maybe they're from italy, spain, or etc. they maybe same like you, not too good in english, but if your vocab and tongue are good, they will understand what you say...
mortalone - 10/03/2012 09:46 PM

I'd like to share my thought based on my experience.
If your purpose is speaking skill just like you've mention (Speaker & Hearer understand each other), then you should not to worry about the grammar. However, it is different if your purpose is TOEFL test. These are two different cases.
Speaking has its own rules that are rather different from writing, Some of them called MAXIM (maxim of quantity, maxim of quality, etc.). In order to maintain the conversation going smooth, you have to keep these rules. While in the writing you have to consider the grammar.

and for your question, the best way of learning English is not to be shy. we cannot understand the grammar without the vocab, and vice versa. To improve your writing skills you have read, read and read. While to improve your speaking skills you have to involve yourself on the conversations, increasing your vocab also important in this case. The best way is learning by doing.

Thank you, D
bossukses - 12/03/2012 10:11 PM

I learn many tips in this thread.. thank for TS shakehand2
Freyaa - 21/03/2012 03:06 PM

The two things can't be separated bro but it would be better if your vocaboulary is good and then learn the grammar Peace:
mrShank - 22/03/2012 05:59 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Freyaa
The two things can't be separated bro but it would be better if your vocaboulary is good and then learn the grammar Peace:

I definitely agree with this statement.
Let's remember about our childhood.

do we learn grammar first?
or...
do we learn how to say any vocabs first whether it's wrong or right?

Yes, i'm sure u have the correct answer for us \)

now i just want to share what i did:
Spoiler for forshared

Please look for a relevant conversation book, then HAVE it, READ it, and APPLY it with your partner.
i recommend the book from the native author \)

and/or...

Watch some cool west movies that u had \), use the original sub and focus on learning the conversation first (it'll enrich your vocabs).

by doing those, u'll get the result soon (increasing your vocabs and making it easier to learn grammar).
of course it depends on the level of your effort \)
KaptenAOC - 28/03/2012 06:13 PM

i have the same problem as you..
when i try to speak english with grammar, i don't know what i say ngakak
and my friend don't understand what i say ngakak
supernatura - 29/03/2012 04:20 PM

mao tny ini :
1. she was on Jakarta in 2010
2. she was in Jakarta at 2010

manakah yang benar ? minta dijelaskan donk. thx.
minearenotmine - 30/03/2012 11:44 PM

For me, both are important. Just devote your time to practice, practice and practice. You wont be able to speak good English if you don't practice constantly.

And you probably need English TV shows, native English friends (middle-class or higher class and educated friends if it's possible. Why? Because not all native English are able speak proper English, some have problems with their speliing especially Americans. By having middle class or higher class and educated friends who already dealt with essay thingy everyday while studying at college or university, I am sure they might be able to speak or write proper English. :P).

I know It will sound boring but you need English books (grammar books or vocabulary books or conversation books, good english-english dicts, etc). Never underestimate the power of English books. Lol. They will help you in improving your English (even though not really significant and one thing I should let you know that don't be "100% English grammar books" because it will make your English sound so "bookish" and people will laugh at you. No, kidding. :P)

Don't forget to polish your listening skills. Some native speakers speak so fast and you will get confused if your listening skill is not really good. :P
JohannesMantiri - 02/04/2012 10:37 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By supernatura
mao tny ini :
1. she was on Jakarta in 2010
2. she was in Jakarta at 2010

manakah yang benar ? minta dijelaskan donk. thx.

I would probably say:

In 2010, she was in Jakarta.
empty_circle - 04/04/2012 11:21 AM

i stopped to believe that watching foreign movies with english sub could improve my english language skill. i have watched hundreds of foreign movies with english subtitle for the past two years and yet i'm still clueless in how to use english properly.

I guess the best way to learn english is by learning it the traditional way, take courses, read english books, read english newspaper articles, write something in english regularly and do some talking..
unyubi - 04/04/2012 10:07 PM

practice practice and practice... practice a lotttt iloveindonesia

Posted with kaskusBetaQR
Page 11 of 14 | ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > (ask) the best way learning english, grammar first or vocab?