English Education and Literature
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > (ask) the best way learning english, grammar first or vocab?
Total Views: 10257 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 2 of 14 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

w4n6y3n - 19/04/2011 09:15 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By GreatSultan
Yeah
One of my lecturer once said that one of her student is quite good in grammar, but he didn't pay too much attention on his vocabulary skill DD

So when he did his exams, he always add word "F*ck" and "Sh*t" in nearly every sentence in his essay. When asked, he didn't know what does those means, he only use them just because he always hears it on movies hammer:hammer:

D you'll get discount on your mark
GreatSultan - 20/04/2011 04:45 PM

Quote:
you'll get discount on your mark

Well, I didn't do it DDD
w4n6y3n - 22/04/2011 08:38 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By GreatSultan
Well, I didn't do it DDD

don't you ever try ngakak
vodkacinno - 23/04/2011 12:38 PM

u can't choose....both are importants....
tomatmentah - 23/04/2011 09:05 PM

a simple answer for you....vocab, not bokep...
but sometimes p bokep helps you improving your grammar and vocab....lol just make some jokes not hunt a conflict with you....peaceeeeeeeeeeee....Yb
SepcyaLice - 24/04/2011 05:35 AM

well, if u wanna improve ur english for test choose grammar first. Or u can improve ur grammar and vocabulary together.
U should chat with a lot of foreigner (in english of course), so when u chat with 'em, watch their grammar and if they say some difficult words u can search the meaning at dictionary. Also ask them to correct ur grammar if u have any mistakes when u talk with them. Watch ur mistakes and try to understand why that's wrong. I just do that a lot and i think my english improves.
xntrique - 24/04/2011 06:17 AM

i think if you want to pass your toefl writing test in flying colours, you really need to work on more complex grammars because that's where they think you can connect ideas and make logical order of your thoughts.

once you mastered that, increasing some important vocabs on certain topics would make you sound smarter in your writing, like "incidentally" or "anachronistic" and such and such

TOEFL, as far as I know, relies quite a lot on grammar. I think reading comprehension is much easier with good grammar, and you can identify answers much quicker because when you come across words you don't understand, you can still see which one is noun or verb from the structure. and then the rest is guess work LOL
FrozenFlame - 24/04/2011 01:05 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By badseyjuang
hi all
I have a question , n sometimes make me confused
I have learned english almost three years,
I Have problem with grammar,
because, when I do conversation with grammar,
that make me blank :O
every word's in my mind will be lost when I wanna speak
when I speak with ignored grammar, I can speak fastly.

an as far as I know,
the point of conversation is, I can understand and she/he can understand what we are talking about

what the best method for learning grammar friend's ??
I have bad grammar D
because grammar is important too for toefl test and etc.

please help me iloveindonesia iloveindonesia iloveindonesia

Depends on your REAL Objective,

If you plan JUST to be able to understand English, then I suggest Vocabulary ( since it's easier to understand )
But if you plan to USE English for scientific/educational journal/literature or taking TOEFL/TOEIC/IELTS then you have to learn Grammar first ( along with vocabs of course D )
aneh2wae - 25/04/2011 01:19 AM

your problem like my problem D
i think we have to use our english conversation more often
GreatSultan - 25/04/2011 12:43 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By w4n6y3n
don't you ever try ngakak

Hell no.....I'm not crazy enough to do that ngakak
shuerutan - 26/04/2011 02:36 AM

you must learn vocabulary first, and then take some course to master your english perfectly

FYI i study in course too, but at first i just read dictionary from every english word that i've ever read CMIIW

o yeah, please forgive me if i made any mistake in my post D
Chronozz - 30/04/2011 09:44 PM

IMHO, you should learn some basic vocab first, then start strengthening your grammar.. after your grammar is strong, start learning some advanced vocabulary

\)\)
\)\)
blappi - 30/04/2011 11:15 PM

I live overseas for 5 years now and most of the time I couldn't finish a sentence in English without any grammar mistakes lol.

My English teacher used to say that even Western people make mistakes with grammar when they speak, but they always get their grammar right when they write something. So I guess that's the best way to learn: by writing paragraphs in English (story, report, reviews etc) with the correct grammar. I remember that about 6 years ago when I first studied English, my teacher always started the lesson with random conversations, then we would study grammar or something, then as homework, he would give me an open-ended question that I need to answer in English, and it had to be at least 1 page long.

Also when you speak in English, try not to rush. Speak in a slow or normal speed but try to use the correct grammar. You will feel better when you can finish a sentence with minimal grammar mistake, eventhough it takes longer time for you to finish the sentence. When you get used to speaking English, then the pace will pick up automatically. As for vocabulary, when you speak or read or write in English regularly, you will gain more vocabulary without you even know it. So for now, don't rush.
Good luck.
ShantelVanSant - 01/05/2011 01:23 AM

Bes way of course take a course, another way is buy some books
AtmaneGaarA - 01/05/2011 03:30 PM

grammar is like a song, and vocab is like a chord. you can't play any song without knowing any chord, and without song, your chord is useless.
CyoMC - 01/05/2011 08:00 PM

In practicing English, vocab will lead the conversation.
According to my experiences...when you're talking with foreigners in English,they will understand any of your speaks while they're understanding your point to say. D
kriya.sinudarsa - 02/05/2011 07:08 AM

ALWAYS aim to master comprehension skill first...

This way, we'll gain more benefit, when we can comprehend English (text or speech), the whole world is open to you. You will have better access to knowledge, all the best and latest textbooks and references are written in English. This is what learning English for, to gain more knowledge. There's no use to speak proper English with perfect grammar if we're still dumbass.

Why aiming to master grammar first? There's no point in doing so, the best advantage in mastering English is that we can have more access to knowledge, not to speak to some "bule" and be considered as cool by your peers. Believe me those "bule" appreciate our knowledge better rather than perfect grammar.

After all, in few years of constant reading n sharpening your English skills, you'll have better "feel" of what's work and what's not. The grammar thingy will come to you automatically. And it's a lot faster to learn grammar after you master comprehension skill anyway...

Regards
ciciku - 03/05/2011 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=w4n6y3n;406667577]they are important,but first, you don't need to study both of them together

I say,that the newbie must learn vocab's first, why?

hmm, when you were a child, what did your parents teach?
shakehand2 I agree with you
chupie - 04/05/2011 12:22 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By fransnoel
if i were u, i'll choose both of them. they can't be separated D

yeach..i do agree with statement above.

we must learn both of them in the same time.
the point of comunication is to understand the information that conveyed, i think if this is your goal, its okey to not using grammar.

but if your purpose is to learning language you must not only master vocab, but grammar, culture, phrase, idiom, etc.
HermawanChenz - 24/05/2011 12:09 AM

Do u know the 4 aspects of a language??

First is listening, then speaking, then reading then writing..

A baby first listens to his parents, then he speaks by copying what they say..
later on he learns to read, and by doing so, he will come across some new vocabularies, lastly, he knows how to write..

If you want to be able to be good at English, don't just be good @ one aspect, as
they are related to one another..

Long ago, a native speaker gave me a seminar about Teaching English.. let me share you what I got.. Language is for communication, so if you speak using bad grammar but others understand you, it means u have made a good communication.. however that is not enough, as if you speak using bad grammar it shows that you are not educated.. let's compare with Indonesian language.. let's compare you and tukang becak.. you can speak Indonesian, and so does he, but what makes you different from him? the answer is that you are more educated than him as when you speak, you use Tata Bahasa Indonesia, while he doesn't.. so if you speak without using the correct grammar, you are just like a tukang becak, because you can't use the correct grammar while the one you are talking to can..

As a basic step, using bad grammar while speaking is still fine as long as your partner understands you, and that's communication, but still for further level of communication, you need good grammar especially when you want to make a presentation or when you have to write an academic composition, etc.. If you can use good grammar while you speak it means your English has improved..

As a conclusion, for the basic step, enrich your vocabularies, but don't only focus on enriching your vocabularies, at the same time, you need to listen to people talk a lot, then copy how they speak, because speaking is copying, you copy not only the grammar, but the pronunciation as well..

Good Luck..
Page 2 of 14 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > English Education and Literature > (ask) the best way learning english, grammar first or vocab?