ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?
Total Views: 6885 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 1 of 20 |  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

putrakurniawan - 14/04/2011 05:12 PM
Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?
Hi All,

Want to ask kaskusers view about something that makes me wonder. My nephews study in an international school since kindergarten, and their English accent is very good and they are outspoken.

However, I was thinking that they may lose the way Indonesian people think because language is part of culture. For example, if we talk to elder people, Javanese will call Mas/Mbak, but in English, we just mention his/her name.

I am just afraid that if I have children - hopefully soon -, if they speak English too early, they will hesitate to speak in Bahasa Indonesia or even in Bahasa Jawa as my mother tongue because they feel convenient with English.

Should we teach our kid to speak English very early? Will you?

Best

PK
jqsg - 14/04/2011 05:56 PM

yes, i will

imposible is nothing

eventhough my english is so ridiculous..
hammer

and more importantly, i'll keep them proud for who they are, and which country they are belong to.

;p

how about you dawg?Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?
kemalk14 - 14/04/2011 06:27 PM

yes i would...but i will not use it as a main language....i'd make one day (like friday) as an english day, so everybody indahouse must speak english

that must be great
Sticker12 - 14/04/2011 08:29 PM

of course i will.There are so many indonesian people who think that english is difficult.because of that they dont want to learn english anymore.If you teach english to your child earlier,he/she won't face this problem.it's ok if you postpone to teach indonesian/javanese to your children.your kid will be able to speak these languages naturally.iloveindonesia
2804073 - 14/04/2011 10:01 PM

hmmm probably
for me, the motto of learning english (or other languages) is "the sooner, the easier"
or maybe dual-native language? sounds cool but is it even possible? D
aditpsycho - 14/04/2011 10:27 PM

relax...
it won't happen.

i was fortunate enough to spend my first few school years in the US and have no problem keeping my javenese roots and manners.

i spoke english outside the house and kromo javanese to my parents.

@TS
please...please teach your kids kromo besides english
it's sad to see javanese kids today unable to properly speak in their native tongue and address their elder properly.

ngoko and indonesian will come around naturally with play, TV, and school time.
no need to worry about those two language.
miss duckycat - 14/04/2011 11:02 PM

prehaps..cz nothing impossible iloveindonesia
Evangeline - 15/04/2011 02:08 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By putrakurniawan
Hi All,

Want to ask kaskusers view about something that makes me wonder. My nephews study in an international school since kindergarten, and their English accent is very good and they are outspoken.

However, I was thinking that they may lose the way Indonesian people think because language is part of culture. For example, if we talk to elder people, Javanese will call Mas/Mbak, but in English, we just mention his/her name.

I am just afraid that if I have children - hopefully soon -, if they speak English too early, they will hesitate to speak in Bahasa Indonesia or even in Bahasa Jawa as my mother tongue because they feel convenient with English.

Should we teach our kid to speak English very early? Will you?

Best

PK

don't you think that you might be a lil bit overeacted??? Not all Indonesian kids learning English call their nannies in just names. Infact, all of my students are still calling older people to them with proper salutations (i.e: mas/mbak/kak/pak) ... If your nephews don't do that, well, I'm afraid that you have to check their parents on how the children are taught at home.

I know a kid who speaks more English than bahasa Indonesia in his life and he still has got all it takes to be Indonesian. Plus, he started to like Gatot Kaca as his favorite hero in addition to Spiderman.
izzyupload - 15/04/2011 10:52 PM

Well, I have thought of this so many times and in my opinion it's okay. How can I say so? Well, since English is a very popular foreign language and the first rank for international language I think I have to teach my future children one day when they are ready.

Don't worry about the thing, they won't forget Indonesian since our education use it ranging in kindergarten till university. All you need is just get them used to speak English at home. Anyway, when kids play together with their friends in their neighborhood they will speak Indonesian right? Except if you live abroad among the people who speak English you supposed to worry if one day your children forget Indonesian.

If I were you, I would teach my children only 2 languages; Javanese (depends on your ethnicity) and English. Let their kindergaten teachers n neigborhood teach them Indonesian. That's all I can say. D

Well, since I'm shit at English, please analize what I have written.
w4n6y3n - 15/04/2011 10:54 PM

Learning English for my Kid,is a MUST

in their era,globalization must be greater than this time,

so English is very very important for them

if I,as parent, don't teach them,then who will teach them? D
bravo04 - 16/04/2011 07:13 AM

Someday, if i have a child, i will teach them english earlier.. Not everyday, but maybe i will just mixed it.. As example, i will insert one or two english word or sentences in our conversation.. D
Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?
nofalmade - 16/04/2011 08:50 AM

someday.......
....... i will
:angelWill you teach your kid to speak English very early?
PrinceLaharl - 16/04/2011 08:06 PM

well, since there's a possibility that i wont raise my kid in indonesia, i think he/she must learn english early,, if not, he/she won't be able to communicate with his/her friends.. lol

but i remember i learn english quite early.. there's this awesome show when i was a kid called sesame street.. learn a lot from that show.. and my parents used to have a rule when i was a kid.. that we have to use english at dinner.. i think those are good methods for your kids..
fatheer - 16/04/2011 10:55 PM

no problem i think, coz actually we could also teach our children (in this case ur nephew) to learn about indonesian culture in our home, english is important and begin for early is the best way to master it D ilovekaskus
ShaolinMonk - 16/04/2011 11:25 PM

of course why not? english is so important in this world!!!! do you know it??? teach her/him!!!!! ngakak
tuminitumina - 17/04/2011 12:06 AM

absolutely i will !
my child will greater than me in everything, specially for english skills D
AngelBe1 - 17/04/2011 12:17 AM

i don't have kid, but in the future if i have children, i must teach every day. i do that, because i hope my kid is not late to practice english like me.

—Sedang belajar bahasa Inggris,jika ada penyusunan kata yg salah dimohon untuk tidak tertawa
ketauan tertawa wajib bayar denda "cendol" ke ane)™
shahrukh - 19/04/2011 11:11 PM

of course i will . . just languange, not the culture . . maybe i will use english when talk to them .. so, they have early experience with english . . like u know, the people who live long time ago, sometime can't using english because they never using it . .
tsuyosa26 - 22/04/2011 10:37 AM

i speak english everydy with my babyboy since he was 3 month, now he is 6 month, and i think he already understand what i'm saying.
we must start early so our kid will get used to. i bad in english, but for my kid's future i must keep learn english more hardly.

i speak english and my husband speak bahasa to our babyboy, i think this is best combination.
Foxscore - 22/04/2011 05:57 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By w4n6y3n
Learning English for my Kid,is a MUST

in their era,globalization must be greater than this time,

so English is very very important for them

if I,as parent, don't teach them,then who will teach them? D

I agree with u,,

beside in era globalitation, now English is very important as an International language.
one time at English course place I was surprised, there are many children who learn English at that place, so in this case perhaps I will attend my child to English course early,,
CMIIWWill you teach your kid to speak English very early?
Page 1 of 20 |  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?