ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?
Total Views: 6885 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 10 of 20 | ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >  Last ›

oichidan - 07/10/2011 09:43 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By putrakurniawan
Hi All,

Want to ask kaskusers view about something that makes me wonder. My nephews study in an international school since kindergarten, and their English accent is very good and they are outspoken.

However, I was thinking that they may lose the way Indonesian people think because language is part of culture. For example, if we talk to elder people, Javanese will call Mas/Mbak, but in English, we just mention his/her name.

I am just afraid that if I have children - hopefully soon -, if they speak English too early, they will hesitate to speak in Bahasa Indonesia or even in Bahasa Jawa as my mother tongue because they feel convenient with English.

Should we teach our kid to speak English very early? Will you?

Best

PK

Bahasa Indonesia is the mothertongue of every human in Indonesia. therefore we MUST teach it to our childrens. But, since the wave of globalization is currently streaming all over the world, our childrens have to master English too, in order to adapt themselves in the current societies.

I advice you to teach English in conjunction with Bahasa Indonesia. I mean, teaching english as a 'side-lesson' while teaching your kids Bahasa Indonesia. So they learn both.

How do you do that is completely up to you cendols
sampingan89 - 08/10/2011 01:12 AM

yes, i think i will teach them very early.. because i think, if we live in Indonesia, we definitely can be able to speak bahasa, by interaction with our relatives, our neighbour etc.. so just teach them english but don't forget to teach them our culture, Indonesia.
miawmeister - 08/10/2011 09:37 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By aditpsycho
relax...
it won't happen.

i was fortunate enough to spend my first few school years in the US and have no problem keeping my javenese roots and manners.

i spoke english outside the house and kromo javanese to my parents.

@TS
please...please teach your kids kromo besides english
it's sad to see javanese kids today unable to properly speak in their native tongue and address their elder properly.

ngoko and indonesian will come around naturally with play, TV, and school time.
no need to worry about those two language.

totally agree with this one

parents should teach their kids about their culture early rather than foreign language

so there will be no more kids like me who don't know about my own culture \(\(
herdiyan127 - 09/10/2011 03:58 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

Want to ask kaskusers view about something that makes me wonder. My nephews study in an international school since kindergarten, and their English accent is very good and they are outspoken.

However, I was thinking that they may lose the way Indonesian people think because language is part of culture. For example, if we talk to elder people, Javanese will call Mas/Mbak, but in English, we just mention his/her name.

I am just afraid that if I have children - hopefully soon -, if they speak English too early, they will hesitate to speak in Bahasa Indonesia or even in Bahasa Jawa as my mother tongue because they feel convenient with English.

Best

PK

i think it's not bad, but it's better to let your son/daughter decide by their want. even i'm still in 9 grade who even not understand about family, but it's my experience. my mom registered me into english courses since i was in kindergarten, thats really help me on the schoool

but i lost my playtime when was child, that's made me tempramental and made me self-conscious, but i think thats appropriate reward that i got for now. and i know my mom just wanna me to be great son and can socialize in a global world

so, decision in your hand sir shakehand
chinos - 09/10/2011 09:41 AM

English learning in early age is important for those who want their children grow as a smart and well-grown children,

I was taught english since 5 years old, and I think it helps me a lot now beer: Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?
jooohnBonar - 10/10/2011 01:40 PM

having lived overseas for the past decade and a bit, i know that i'll be teaching my future child(ren) English from the beginning.. but i'll also mix it with Indonesian too..

if my wife and I are living overseas then the English will come naturally to them from their interactions at school, watching TV, reading books, so i'll speak Indo to him/her to keep their heritage..

as for their mannerisms, that will come from their family life, i'll still expect them to call their elders with aunt, uncle, om, tante, koko, mas, abang, kak, or whatever else is appropriate..
minkymomochan - 10/10/2011 11:01 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

Best

PK

have u ever thought to mix those both languages (Bahasa n English) ??
for example, can we go now, mbak? i think that isnt wrong if we use it.. but it's gonna be a lil' bit wrong if u say it to abroad people cuz they may cant understand what the meaning of mbak/mas..so that if i would have children in future i would let my children have fun with English n try to speak some English daily conversation.. D
jooohnBonar - 11/10/2011 07:06 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By minkymomochan
have u ever thought to mix those both languages (Bahasa n English) ??
for example, can we go now, mbak? i think that isnt wrong if we use it.. but it's gonna be a lil' bit wrong if u say it to abroad people cuz they may cant understand what the meaning of mbak/mas..so that if i would have children in future i would let my children have fun with English n try to speak some English daily conversation.. D

i actually do that quite a lot.. i'd start off a sentence in english tapi endingnya pake bahasa indo.. hehe..

but the problem for a child would be that they'll get mixed up with which words are english and which ones are Indo.. i would separate the usage early on but as they gain more understanding and are able to differentiate between the two, then mixing becomes more viable..
minkymomochan - 11/10/2011 10:16 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By jooohnBonar
i actually do that quite a lot.. i'd start off a sentence in english tapi endingnya pake bahasa indo.. hehe..

but the problem for a child would be that they'll get mixed up with which words are english and which ones are Indo.. i would separate the usage early on but as they gain more understanding and are able to differentiate between the two, then mixing becomes more viable..

just remind them to make the difference between saying to Indonesian n abroad people.. they still can use a lil' bahasa like mbak/mas to Indonesian only, n dont use it when talk to abroad people.. CMIIW \)
Meidireza - 11/10/2011 11:55 AM

it is recommended, verily, for children to learn english early. there's nothing wrong with learning languages! however this must not make them lose their Indonesian values, if you know what I mean. Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?
jooohnBonar - 13/10/2011 08:29 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By minkymomochan
just remind them to make the difference between saying to Indonesian n abroad people.. they still can use a lil' bahasa like mbak/mas to Indonesian only, n dont use it when talk to abroad people.. CMIIW \)

haha yea... i have a niece who grew up here in Australia, and her Indo mannerism is still good and she still calls people mbak/mas/kak/om/etc to the right ppl cos her parents taught her well... \) iloveindonesias

on the other hand, I call the waiter/waitresses here mbak/mas if i'm a lil bit pissed off that my food hasn't arrived after a long time.. always gets a few chuckles from my Indo friends.. Yb
netgear - 13/10/2011 01:30 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By aditpsycho
relax...
it won't happen.

i was fortunate enough to spend my first few school years in the US and have no problem keeping my javenese roots and manners.

i spoke english outside the house and kromo javanese to my parents.

@TS
please...please teach your kids kromo besides english
it's sad to see javanese kids today unable to properly speak in their native tongue and address their elder properly.

ngoko and indonesian will come around naturally with play, TV, and school time.
no need to worry about those two language.

Couldn't agree more....

I prefer teaching my daughter Batak language beside English rather than Indonesian. \)

like @aditpsycho mentioned above, someday they will know Indonesian sooner or later. We don't really need to teach them.

JustMy2Cents beer:
minkymomochan - 13/10/2011 10:48 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By jooohnBonar
haha yea... i have a niece who grew up here in Australia, and her Indo mannerism is still good and she still calls people mbak/mas/kak/om/etc to the right ppl cos her parents taught her well... \) iloveindonesias

on the other hand, I call the waiter/waitresses here mbak/mas if i'm a lil bit pissed off that my food hasn't arrived after a long time.. always gets a few chuckles from my Indo friends.. Yb

oh nice.... it must ur niece have be taught how to speak correctly with older Indonesian people.. i think thats all my opinion..sory if i gotta wrong.. Yb
anthonypatty - 14/10/2011 05:34 PM

well, it depends on how we guide our kids especially in language learning...it may happen when a kid is taught more than 1 languages. Javanese mostly teach their kids to speak Java and Indonesian at the same time...i think the best think we can do is to teach them English but never forget our culture and custom
detoong - 14/10/2011 09:06 PM

Hahaha i think i will! Now English is very important...

—@detoong on Twitter™
AsakuraYume - 14/10/2011 10:33 PM

yes
but also depends on the environment,and i'll not forget indonesian language o

i have a niece,her father is indonesian born chinese,her mother is a japanese
she (my niece) can't even speak indonesian at all,she only speaks japanese,english,and chinese
that's wonderful,but i think they are forgetting a "heritage"

Phoda - 14/10/2011 11:40 PM

be always proud about cultures, language, and all about our country, Indonesia...
i think learn foreign language is important thing to developing extra skill... but we could't forget about where we grew up, how to always love our country.. etc..
(sorry about my grammar... cmiiw)
the_hunter - 15/10/2011 03:56 PM

i don't want my kid to sound like a snotty brat. i'll teach him english, but not so early D
lycantrophs - 15/10/2011 05:21 PM

Definitely. Because I find it quite useful to know English, and I want my children to master it while they are still young..

There's no problem with mannerism since manner can be taught at home..
edwardvvip - 16/10/2011 06:44 AM

after my marriage im planning to use english as my first languages in my family and house, of course i have to find a woman who is able to speak english fluently, but im just a college student right now, maybe after 6-7 years onwards
Page 10 of 20 | ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?