ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?
Total Views: 6885 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 2 of 20 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

w4n6y3n - 22/04/2011 09:12 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Foxscore
I agree with u,,

beside in era globalitation, now English is very important as an International language.
one time at English course place I was surprised, there are many children who learn English at that place, so in this case perhaps I will attend my child to English course early,,
CMIIWWill you teach your kid to speak English very early?

as early as you can,I guess D
el_stup1do - 22/04/2011 11:02 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By putrakurniawan
Hi All,

Want to ask kaskusers view about something that makes me wonder. My nephews study in an international school since kindergarten, and their English accent is very good and they are outspoken.

However, I was thinking that they may lose the way Indonesian people think because language is part of culture. For example, if we talk to elder people, Javanese will call Mas/Mbak, but in English, we just mention his/her name.

I am just afraid that if I have children - hopefully soon -, if they speak English too early, they will hesitate to speak in Bahasa Indonesia or even in Bahasa Jawa as my mother tongue because they feel convenient with English.

Should we teach our kid to speak English very early? Will you?

Best

PK

Quote:
Original Posted By w4n6y3n
Learning English for my Kid,is a MUST

in their era,globalization must be greater than this time,

so English is very very important for them

if I,as parent, don't teach them,then who will teach them? D

Quote:
Original Posted By tsuyosa26
i speak english everydy with my babyboy since he was 3 month, now he is 6 month, and i think he already understand what i'm saying.
we must start early so our kid will get used to. i bad in english, but for my kid's future i must keep learn english more hardly.

i speak english and my husband speak bahasa to our babyboy, i think this is best combination.

It's time for lil 'ol stu to play devil's advocate. Does the TS and the people that have responded (a selection of them above), have ever taught English to kids (with/without credentials) and more importantly do you have the ability. Kids at a young age are very good at absorbing information without knowing the proper way to use it and sadly it will stick for them forever. If you were to teach them incorrectly without realizing that it is incorrect, it might be too late to reverse it as it has become a habit. I've seen one too many times where in the effort of trying to "globalize" their kids, parents overlooked this critical mistake.

I recall a while back, I heard little kids saying in the mall:
"Mommy mommy, is this your belanjaan?"
"I don't want to main with you!"
"Ewww your hand is so bau!"

AND even worse, they were not corrected by their parents. Those kids consider both language as one. Losing their identity as Indonesian will probably never happen if you keep it as part of your daily life but if you use English daily, then they just might lose their ability to speak the Indonesian language.

It's good to have a head start in something but there's a limit to it and enough is enough I say. Let them be kids and have their fun! In this era English is everywhere they'll pick it up themselves eventually. There's no need to bombard them with all these activities and lessons. What is more important is the development of their character, personality, lifestyle and more importantly good manners.

Need proof? Well I'm one. My parents didn't send me to any English lesson or this so called international school which is a bunch of croc if you ask me, but not to digress, my parents are not rich but they know the value of a good education. They make sure I have what I need NOT what I want and they make sure I got the best education we can afford. All of my English education is from school (and no they're not that good now that I thought about it, it's your typical learn verb grammar, etc but not as hands on) and I didn't turn out half bad. I would say I have above average English right now, good enough to survive in this wild wild world.
LadyElfstone - 23/04/2011 08:41 AM

I'm not so sure. I heard bi-lingual children have problem with their train of thought or something. Other than this, I will probably encourage them to talk in English with me and my future husband (but not to other Indonesian speakers because it sounds snobbish), but not in a way that most mothers and fathers do (talk to their kids with awful grammar and terrible accent).
nauseavomit - 23/04/2011 08:57 PM

perhaps, but more importantly i will teach them investing
2804073 - 23/04/2011 08:59 PM

hey is it possible to have a kid with dual-native language? :cystg
KIDRoach - 23/04/2011 11:08 PM

It really depends on what you define as "early".

I don't see problems in teaching kids English as early as grade school (at school). In my opinion, using English at home would be weird. After all, it's not the native language. No one outside home uses English to speak to each other. Why would you?

Home is supposed to be for our native language. It's how we conserve our heritage. It's why people speak Javanese, minang, etc.

Despite the counter-argument presented, in my opinion, international school isn't really all that bad. People are what you would refer to as "non-ergodic". For some kids, international school helps their English. For some, they need to learn it as early as possible. For some others, they are just unwilling to learn and only associate with the other indonesians in the school, rendering the method useless.

I've seen people who have been here for 6 years and still can't speak English for whatever reason. They can't be fluent and will still have that "Indonesian" accent that a lot of people say "don't exist". Then again, I've seen people who have been here for 3 months and blend in perfectly. They sound just like your average American.

To sum up, it really depends on the kid. Parents know best (Well... sometimes they don't but it's their kid) \)
tirramizu - 23/04/2011 11:57 PM

I think we should teach them about the second language earlier. Because as far as i know (cmiiw) there was their critical period since they two years old until they have their puberty. And the critical period time was the best time for children to learn the second language (you can search in google about the critical period of the child. And about your worry. I think It would never be a problem as long as you let your child playing and communicating with his or her friends in his or her neighborhood or in school. Good luck, then. .
Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?
coffee prince - 24/04/2011 12:31 AM

Nah... I think I won't...

Kids deserve to play, play, and play... because when they grow up, they will remember that their childhood is awesome... D
xntrique - 24/04/2011 07:51 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By el_stup1do
It's time for lil 'ol stu to play devil's advocate. Does the TS and the people that have responded (a selection of them above), have ever taught English to kids (with/without credentials) and more importantly do you have the ability. Kids at a young age are very good at absorbing information without knowing the proper way to use it and sadly it will stick for them forever. If you were to teach them incorrectly without realizing that it is incorrect, it might be too late to reverse it as it has become a habit. I've seen one too many times where in the effort of trying to "globalize" their kids, parents overlooked this critical mistake.

I recall a while back, I heard little kids saying in the mall:
"Mommy mommy, is this your belanjaan?"
"I don't want to main with you!"
"Ewww your hand is so bau!"

AND even worse, they were not corrected by their parents. Those kids consider both language as one. Losing their identity as Indonesian will probably never happen if you keep it as part of your daily life but if you use English daily, then they just might lose their ability to speak the Indonesian language.

It's good to have a head start in something but there's a limit to it and enough is enough I say. Let them be kids and have their fun! In this era English is everywhere they'll pick it up themselves eventually. There's no need to bombard them with all these activities and lessons. What is more important is the development of their character, personality, lifestyle and more importantly good manners.

Need proof? Well I'm one. My parents didn't send me to any English lesson or this so called international school which is a bunch of croc if you ask me, but not to digress, my parents are not rich but they know the value of a good education. They make sure I have what I need NOT what I want and they make sure I got the best education we can afford. All of my English education is from school (and no they're not that good now that I thought about it, it's your typical learn verb grammar, etc but not as hands on) and I didn't turn out half bad. I would say I have above average English right now, good enough to survive in this wild wild world.

i totally agree with you actually. my younger brothers actually went to 'english-speaking' kindergarten. they then went to indonesian-speaking elementary school (SD) in which they struggled a bit more than the other kids. so they had to go to international schools to actually get good grades. it's just sad.

in my case, i had always been to indonesian speaking school. however, i started READING english since i was small, from alphabet books to little children books on chicken on a farm or the ugly duckling and the disney princess. I guess I was lucky enough that my mum would come and read to me sometimes. and i wasn't like today's children who are always in front of playhouse disney or cbeebies all the bloody time. and then when i got to junior high i started reading goosebumps, both in indonesian and in english, and it sort of developed organically. I started reading more and harder literatures, listening to more songs and musicals and gained more vocabularies and getting used to various grammars and irregular uses of the language like it's true art...

it worked for me a lot better, i think, since i can still use proper indonesian like normal people, and still use english almost at the level of native if not the same. compared to my 'international school' brothers, my indonesian is MUCH better, even if their school has more facilities so that they had more access to good quality indonesian literature compared to my school.

so in the end my bros are more comfortable to speak english with me, which is fine. but then i'm kinda stuck in between my bros and my parents. it's funny how i have to look for words in both language when i'm in the same room....
bluez_bekztra - 24/04/2011 12:19 PM

I think the best way is to teach them both languages..as i've seen from many kids out there, it isnt a bad idea to teach your kid english and indonesian at the same time.
FrozenFlame - 24/04/2011 01:01 PM

Yes, I plan to give example by speaking English, ( if possible with Chinese/Japanese mix )

And Javanese ( I love Javanese too, especially the writing system )
morpheusvrow - 24/04/2011 02:20 PM

My child will use English in his/her school but he/she MUST talk in Indonesia with me and talk in his/her dad's language with his/her dad. Child is easily absorb all things, golden age for learn!
ruzzland - 24/04/2011 02:55 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By izzyupload
Well, I have thought of this so many times and in my opinion it's okay. How can I say so? Well, since English is a very popular foreign language and the first rank for international language I think I have to teach my future children one day when they are ready.

Don't worry about the thing, they won't forget Indonesian since our education use it ranging in kindergarten till university. All you need is just get them used to speak English at home. Anyway, when kids play together with their friends in their neighborhood they will speak Indonesian right? Except if you live abroad among the people who speak English you supposed to worry if one day your children forget Indonesian.

If I were you, I would teach my children only 2 languages; Javanese (depends on your ethnicity) and English. Let their kindergaten teachers n neigborhood teach them Indonesian. That's all I can say. D

Well, since I'm shit at English, please analize what I have written.

i agree with this one...Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?
.Goro26oroG. - 24/04/2011 10:52 PM

of course I will, because now is globalization era D
sista30 - 28/04/2011 04:43 PM

Actually it depends on how early. Because if you expose a young child to different languages since it was very young, you will end up having a child that speaks an unintelligible language.

I've had that with a child of a friends. Dad speaks Dutch, Mom is a Javanese who speaks Indonesian and JavaneseBoth speaks English at home. But nanny, grandparents, aunts, and cousins speak Javanese and they live in Yogya.

No one can understand a word he spoke until he was 4 where he properly learnt Indonesian and English.

The younger a person learns a language, the better it will be. But too young, will ruin his/her language mastery.
CyoMC - 28/04/2011 08:27 PM

I got English lesson since I was in play ground \)
And I started falling in love with English since I'm addicted with a American rock star ,when I was in high school...
PedoBear. - 28/04/2011 11:59 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By xntrique
i totally agree with you actually. my younger brothers actually went to 'english-speaking' kindergarten. they then went to indonesian-speaking elementary school (SD) in which they struggled a bit more than the other kids. so they had to go to international schools to actually get good grades. it's just sad.

in my case, i had always been to indonesian speaking school. however, i started READING english since i was small, from alphabet books to little children books on chicken on a farm or the ugly duckling and the disney princess. I guess I was lucky enough that my mum would come and read to me sometimes. and i wasn't like today's children who are always in front of playhouse disney or cbeebies all the bloody time. and then when i got to junior high i started reading goosebumps, both in indonesian and in english, and it sort of developed organically. I started reading more and harder literatures, listening to more songs and musicals and gained more vocabularies and getting used to various grammars and irregular uses of the language like it's true art...

it worked for me a lot better, i think, since i can still use proper indonesian like normal people, and still use english almost at the level of native if not the same. compared to my 'international school' brothers, my indonesian is MUCH better, even if their school has more facilities so that they had more access to good quality indonesian literature compared to my school.

so in the end my bros are more comfortable to speak english with me, which is fine. but then i'm kinda stuck in between my bros and my parents. it's funny how i have to look for words in both language when i'm in the same room....

nice point...
you've gotta be good at something before trying to teach it.

Quote:
Original Posted By CyoMC
And I started falling in love with English since I'm addicted with a American rock star ,when I was in high school...

now that's an odd sentance...DD
CyoMC - 29/04/2011 12:22 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By PedoBear.

now that's an odd sentance...DD

sentence... \)
PedoBear. - 29/04/2011 01:02 AM

^^^
hahaha...you got me DD
FrozenFlame - 29/04/2011 04:04 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By CyoMC
And I started falling in love with English since I'm addicted with an American rock star ,when I was in high school...

It's addicted to D and

You were correct @ falling in love though D
Page 2 of 20 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > Will you teach your kid to speak English very early?