ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 1 of 36 |  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

Ambrosiana - 26/04/2011 10:37 AM
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Quote:

Proudly Presents:
HOW TO START WORKING AS TRANSLATOR
(Tips to Enter Translation World)

WELCOME TO MY THREAD
Quote:

Disclaimer: I made this thread not because I’m the best translator here, but since I earn money for my living as full-time freelance translator, I think I just want to give all what I know about translation world. So, with deep respect to all Advanced Translators in Kaskus English Forum, I ask your permission to share….

I got inspiration to create this thread since several times I received message in my PM, asking about tips to start working as translator. I realized that many Kaskus English Forum citizens have mastered English well, want to have some income from translation, but they just didn’t know how to start.
Here I try to give some tips for you who want to enter translation world.

What is translator?
Quote:

Many of us simply thought that translator’s job simply ‘changing’ a word from source language into target language. Well, it can be as simple as that… or it can be more complicated. Exchanging a text from source language into target language sometimes made us think about what term or word appropriately used on the context. Once again, C.O.N.T.E.X.T is the ultimate thing we should focus on to transfer the meaning of a text. Well I’m not going to discuss further about ‘how to translate’ since it would need deeper discussion (and there’s a specific study about it).
Return to the translator’s work. Is it true that translator’s work only evolves around translating text? Well, actually according to Language Resource Center Wake Forest University (LRS WFU), there are 11 category of translation work, they are:
1.Translator: Person who convert a script from source language to target language
2.Interpreter: Person who translates oral message verbally from one language to other language.
3.Terminologist: Person whose job finding certain term from one language to other language to facilitate communication.
4.Editor: Person who review translation script to repair the grammar and term, included the whole meaning of discourse
5.Subtitler: Person who gave translation text synchronized with dialog in a movie or television show.
6.Transcriptionist: Person whose job listening recorded voice and word from oral message of a language, and change it into written translation in target language.
7.Localizor: Person whose job fit certain product to locality, target market, or certain language group. Localizing commonly related with software industries.
8.Lexicographer: Person who developed entry or definition of a word, term, or concept to be inserted into dictionary.
9.Linguist: Person who search the right parable in a language unit in source script without focusing on cultural factors or contextual. Linguist made syntax and grammatical for translation program.
10.Project Manager: Person whose job monitoring all translation process.
11.Language engineer: Person whose job making software to make localizing process simpler.

What are the benefits to be Translator?
Quote:

U.S. News has compiled a list of the predicted best 50 careers for 2011. They took account on which jobs would provide an above-average median income, and the careers for which the number of jobs is expected to increase. Interpreter/Translator appears in the subcategory ‘Creative and Service Jobs’. Here are many other reasons why becoming a translator is a good career move for individuals with the necessary skills and dedication:
1.Being your own boss
2.Flexible working hours
3.Flexibility of workload - can work as many or as few hours as you like
4.Can reject projects if not suitable rather than having to do whatever you’re given.
5.Working from home
6.Support & Advice from the translator community
7.Save us from early senility (true)
According to my own experience, being freelance translator gave me enough money contribution (certainly higher above the minimum regional salary – UMR), enough time to do household work (you won’t believe that I clean all the house, wash the clothes and dishes – still I can’t cook), exercising (I can routinely go to the gym), socializing (go to the café or visiting friends), and as you knew… Ngaskus…

What we need to be a Translator?
Quote:

Our ‘weapons’ as translator are:
Mastery of source language and target language
There’s no doubt that it is the most important thing for translator. If you are an English Indonesia translator, don’t underestimate Bahasa Indonesia mastery. It’s important to transfer the meaning, not just translating words.

Dictionaries
Real Translator looks at dictionary three or four times than common people. It is to make sure that they didn’t make any mistake in translating a term. Remember, Translator ≠ Walking Dictionaries. Counting on online dictionary is not bad at all. Some of the trusted source I often use are:
1. Kateglo Bahtera
2. The Free Dictionary
3. Simply type the word on Google. Example: "Bon Appetit" definition >-- click on search >-- You'll find alternative result

Typing Skill
It is really important, or it would take forever to finish your translation work

Good Internet Connection
Working as translator in this era needs good Internet connection to support our work. Most job send by email, translators could interact each other by Net, and we can aware about culture development through the Net.

Mastering some CAT (Computer-Aided Translation Tool) programs would support you
CAT program is a kind of program which can integrate with your word processor. It really helped you to translate fast and easy, especially if you have done many works which can be used as Translation Memory.
The program work by changing directly a language source into language target for similar word you have translated previously. So if you put a nearly similar document (especially law document which have near format), it will make your job lighter.
Popular program in translation world are Wordfast and Trados

Now, the important discussion: HOW WE COULD ENTER TRANSLATION MARKET?
Quote:

According to my own experience, these are steps to enter translation market:
1.Joining Translation Agency as “in-house translator”
One of difficulty found by beginner translator is: “How can we judge our own work? Is it good or bad?” Actually we can simply let the customer decide, but it certainly would be suicide if they got upset about our work. So, joining Translation Agency will give us advantage since there must be an editor on the agency who assessed our work first before it’s given to the customer. There we can also learn from advanced translator on the agency.
2.Starting to accept translation work from our environment
Friends and relatives are good place to start marketing our service. If you were college student, many of your friend would need your service since there are many journal and book in foreign language used by the college students. Also, friends and relatives certainly would forgive us if there are some mistakes in our translation, but certainly we should take a bit lower rate on them.
3.Marketing your service on the Net
There are many ways to market your service on the Net. www.translatorscafe.com and www.proz.com are some of international translator site which would help you to market your service. Certainly you can also go to FJB Kaskus to promote your translation service there.
4.Sending Application to Publisher
There are many publisher in Indonesia, such as Gramedia, Gagasmedia, Mizan, and so on. You can write an application letter to work as translator for them. In this case, they will send you a kind of test to see your proficiency in translating. After you passed the test, they will send an official contract. You can also offer them your translation work to be published. Their address could be found easily through Internet search Engine.
5.Joining Translators Group
Joining Translators Group would give you support in finding confusing terms, job chances, and many more advantage. The official translators group in Indonesia is Association of Indonesian Translators (Himpunan Penerjemah Indonesia) which based in Jakarta. By this Association, you can have a chance to get title as sworn translator and following many trainings and workshops. Further explanation about HPI can be found in www.hpi.or.id. The other group, Bahtera is an informal translators group which has almost 3000 members where you can find good support and chance to work with the best translators in Indonesia. Complete information about Bahtera can be found in www.bahtera.org.

Ok. That’s all from me. Feel free to PM/VM me to ask about Translator World. I certainly will answer you as far as I knew. Since it’s not the ‘Lounge’ I won’t ask you to give rate or Cendol thing.
I would be glad if some of Advanced Translators whom I proudly met in Kaskus, can give additional tips. If you want to know who are they, you can go to Guild of Translator Thread, since it won’t be polite if I mention their name here.
Ambrosiana - 26/04/2011 10:56 AM
Additional Tips from The Advanced Translators

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Note: First time I wrote the thread, I never expected that there would be great responses from translators in Kaskus. Although Sis P1nk has suggested me before to reserve additional two posts to collect people's contributions, in fact it's not enough.
Waw... It's really make me proud...
Moreover, when Mod Stu offered me to make this thread stickied... I can't express my feeling through words at that time...
Since this two posts no longer enough to accommodate other translators' suggestions related with translation world, I changed the system into index system, which you just have to click on the index title which attracted your interest.

Deep respect and gratitude from me to all translators who contributed this thread.

* Personal Trait for Translator by Jchristie
jchristie is a dedicated translator and interpreter who gave many contributions in this thread

* Additional tips for translator by deepoceanblue
Deepoceanblue is a dedicated translator who also wellknown in Kaskus

* Proficiency test for Translator by P1nked_books
Our beloved Sis P1nk is an EF Enthusiast who has worked on many Romance translations from big publishers

* Personal Tips for Translator + Blue Ocean Strategy by FrozenFlame
FrozenFlame is a Manga and Anime Fan who did many translations for Manga. He speak English, Mandarin, and Japanese (Certainly Indonesia and Javanese too).

* Blue Ocean Strategy from the Eyes of Translator by jchristie
jchristie is a dedicated translator and interpreter who gave many contributions in this thread

* Passion in Translating by pm70
pm70 is a musician, also a dedicated translator

* Will your Academic Background Matters If You Are Working as Translator by jchristie

* Negotiating Your Translating Fee by jchristie

* Translating the Culture by loc
We used to describe Loc in a simple word: "MAHAGURU"

* How Should I Charge My Translation Fee by jchristie

* Translator Program - Friend or Foe

* More About CAT Tools by Ambrosiana
Well, should I explained that Ambrosiana is the TS?...

* Try Not To Be Distracted by cupuimut
Sis Cupuimut is a translator who has translated many novels from publishers

* Read Before You Interpret by jchristie

* Are you qualified to be a translator? by PrinceLaharl
Princelaharl currently is on the process to finish his Engineering Study in Germany.

* Ten Reasons why I am a Freelance Translator (original written by Steve Vlasta Vistek - shared by Ambrosiana)
Steve Vlasta Vistek who wrote the article I posted on the page is a freelance translator who seemed enjoying his profession much

* [again] about Networkign and Giving by jchristie

* Need to Have vs Nice to Have by jchristie

* Be More Specific, Be More Professional by Erisuko
Sis Eri is a dedicated Japanese - English - Indonesia translator. Ups, I have to remind you not to PM/VM her Kaskus ID since it belongs to her husband. You can visit her at her blog on erisukolies.blogspot.com

* [TIPS] Interpreting in an Outdoor Setting by Jchristie
jchristie is a dedicated translator and interpreter who gave many contributions in this thread. Still he envied me by his adventures batas batas

* Make sure you meet your deadline by misterdon
Misterdon is a dedicated translator. I haven't found out yet about his profile, but I'm sure I will know. As far as I know, he seemed to be one of the Bahtera member too D

* Regarding English Teacher's quality in Indonesia by Rahan
Rahan is the most dedicated English Teacher I know in kaskus ;)

There are also many interesting discussion inside about translation world.
Feel Free to Join - Feel Free to Contribute
Happy Translating!
[/size][/color]
Ambrosiana - 26/04/2011 02:07 PM

Reserved by TS for Additional Index
jchristie - 26/04/2011 02:18 PM

Hi There...

Hope you don't mind me giving some extra thoughts to this thread. What you said above is without doubt true and already captured the nuance of a translator. So, I'll add a little bit about personal traits:

Discipline
It sounds boring already, I know! yet, even if you're working as a translator/ interpreter you still need to be discipline. Moreover if you are working as a FREELANCE translator. In my case, I still have a main job and on the side I'm also making money as a freelance translator for a translation agency in Jakarta (I'm working in West Sumatra now)
Discipline will ensure that you submit all the translation tasks in time. You also need to discipline to add more knowledge as a translator, not merely on the vocabulary but also the idioms, terms, and - as mentioned above - understanding to put the words in C.O.N.T.E.X.T
The simplest way to put this will be; 10 years ago, who would have guest that there will be a word 'google' in the dictionary. Even, who would have thought that the world wide web can possibly be true.
If you are a true FREELANCE translator (read: independent) - YOU REALLY NEED to have strong discipline!!! It is easy to get carried away after you got a huge translation deal, thinking you earn some days off. You DO, but if translation is your sole income, you have to be discipline to look (and manage) your translation work.
I usually have a piece of paper on which I estimated when a translation job could be finished. Thus, if another translation job is offered to me, it would be easier for me to decide the answer. I would rather turned down an offer then saying 'YES' and find myself working overnight for 3 days to finish it. I will not let my lack discipline endanger my work.

Persistence
If you're thinking of making money as a translator, BE PERSISTENCE! People will look down on you when you start, leading to a low payment of your service. So what? prove your skills and learn from it and overtime you fill find other opportunities to score big and making decent payment from translation.
Also, be persistence in developing your skills. Find a group that shares common interest in translation (like the Dear EF in kaskus). So many things you can have from networking: experiences, skills, resources, and possible translation jobs.

Recognition
The simple translation of this will be ; FAMOUS! As you become more active on translation groups, mailing lists, etc. you will receive some sort of recognition. This could lead to higher payment e.g. you're a mechanical geek and thus is well recognized as someone to go to if somebody is having a translation job that is filled with mechanical terms. Can you charge higher? DAMN SURE you can!
Other recognition will be a more formal recognition of your skills or popularly known as being a SWORN TRANSLATOR. As a sworn translator, you can translate legal/ classified documents = HIGHER payout. Is it easy to be a sworn translator? Well, I did say something about DISCIPLINE and PERSISTENCE before, right?

beer:
deepoceanblue - 26/04/2011 02:54 PM

- keep a glossary of special terms you had translated
- learn to be consistent
- read a lot
- always keep copies of your work and the source document. sometimes you can reuse them if the originals are similar Peace:
jeben - 26/04/2011 03:19 PM

ei bro, got a question. how did you get your job? any particular qualifications??
Ambrosiana - 26/04/2011 03:56 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By jeben
ei bro, got a question. how did you get your job? any particular qualifications??

Actually no. You'll be surprised that I dropped-out my college since I had no money to continue my study, and started to do translation work to fill my stomach. Now I live better because of translation work.
So I encourage all people who want to be a translator. It's not that hard. Just follow the tips above and start to do some 'action'.
Personally, I think you have quite skill you needed to be translator, Bro Jeben. You can start to try the job.

Ow, I have additional tip about qualification. To assure the client that you are capable to do translation work, it would be good if you join Association of Indonesian Translators (Himpunan Penerjemah Indonesia).
To register, you should include some of your translation works and letter from institution which once used your service.
The member has wide-open chance to follow some certification, workshop, or sworn translator. The Association would also give you kind of law support (in case if a client avoided to pay you) and many more advantage.
Your client will also give you more credit if you were one of the member.
Spoiler for HPI membership card

Complete information could be found in www.hpi.or.id

jchristie - 26/04/2011 04:21 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By jeben

simple but serious answer will be : NETWORKING (it has little to do with luck, even you create more opportunities to bring luck).

Particular qualifications?
it depends on what area you would like to specialize in and of course translated into how much you get. Meaning, if you are non-sworn translator, you cannot do legal/ classified docs hence you'll get less.

IMHO Brah...
edo072 - 26/04/2011 04:41 PM

I was a freelance translator myself back in college, most translation jobs I had was from fellow college students that was too lazy to learn English D
the money was enough to cover my monthly living expenses D

If anyone interested to be a professional translator, maybe sworn translator can be an option, since the price of translation service of sworn translator is significantly higher

I've just translated my bachelor's degree certificate and transcripts today at LBI UI's at a cost of Rp.110.000 rupiah/page nohope:
thats way higher than what I made as a freelance, 4-10 thousand/page hammer:

information regarding the path to become sworn translator can be viewed at website of Lembaga Bahasa UI

just want to add some info uncle ambrosiana D
jeben - 26/04/2011 04:45 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Actually no. You'll be surprised that I dropped-out my college since I had no money to continue my study, and started to do translation work to fill my stomach. Now I live better because of translation work.
So I encourage all people who want to be a translator. It's not that hard. Just follow the tips above and start to do some 'action'.
Personally, I think you have quite skill you needed to be translator, Bro Jeben. You can start to try the job.

Ow, I have additional tip about qualification. To assure the client that you are capable to do translation work, it would be good if you join Association of Indonesian Translators (Himpunan Penerjemah Indonesia).
To register, you should include some of your translation works and letter from institution which once used your service.
The member has wide-open chance to follow some certification, workshop, or sworn translator. The Association would also give you kind of law support (in case if a client avoided to pay you) and many more advantage.
Your client will also give you more credit if you were one of the member.
Spoiler for HPI membership card

Complete information could be found in www.hpi.or.id

Quote:
Original Posted By jchristie
simple but serious answer will be : NETWORKING (it has little to do with luck, even you create more opportunities to bring luck).

Particular qualifications?
it depends on what area you would like to specialize in and of course translated into how much you get. Meaning, if you are non-sworn translator, you cannot do legal/ classified docs hence you'll get less.

IMHO Brah...

there was this one time, someone told me that there was a certain company wanting to look for translators. it was in the line of entertainment. after an exchange of a couple of emails between me and the contact person, they never contacted me again. i guessed maybe because i was still in uni. nohope:

that's why i'm starting to think they (employers) need a certain level of proof whether you're competent on taking the given job.

and what do you mean by a non-sworn translator?
Ambrosiana - 26/04/2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Yesss!... NETWORKING is the best. People would believe more if someone tell about how good you are than you tell about how good you are.... D
Quote:
Original Posted By edo072
I was a freelance translator myself back in college, most translation jobs I had was from fellow college students that was too lazy to learn English D
the money was enough to cover my monthly living expenses D

If anyone interested to be a professional translator, maybe sworn translator can be an option, since the price of translation service of sworn translator is significantly higher

I've just translated my bachelor's degree certificate and transcripts today at LBI UI's at a cost of Rp.110.000 rupiah/page nohope:
thats way higher than what I made as a freelance, 4-10 thousand/page hammer:

information regarding the path to become sworn translator can be viewed at website of Lembaga Bahasa UI

[SIZE="1"]just want to add some info uncle ambrosiana D

First of all, How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)WHO'S UNCLE???..How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

I see you often in EF/KEF/FLER, but I don't realize that you're a translator too since you never told me....
Well I tell you a little bit secret that you would really regret.
Some sworn translators in Jakarta can sign your certificate with only IDR 40.000 per page. I knew some of them. How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
[COLOR="White"]Makanya tanya-tanya dulu...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
edo072 - 26/04/2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Yesss!... NETWORKING is the best. People would believe more if someone tell about how good you are than you tell about how good you are.... D

First of all, How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)[SIZE="4"]WHO'S UNCLE???..How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

I see you often in EF/KEF/FLER, but I don't realize that you're a translator too since you never told me....
Well I tell you a little bit secret that you would really regret.
Some sworn translators in Jakarta can sign your certificate with only IDR 40.000 per page. I knew some of them. How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
[COLOR="White"]Makanya tanya-tanya dulu...[/COLOR][/SIZE]

wow, the price difference is significant :matabelo
but its no problem, luckily my office paid for the fee
as a part of my scholarship application process siul:
besides, its the most convinient place that I can reach from my office

so, your payback attempt for me calling you uncle doesnt work ngacir:
jchristie - 26/04/2011 05:24 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By jeben
there was this one time, someone told me that there was a certain company wanting to look for translators. it was in the line of entertainment. after an exchange of a couple of emails between me and the contact person, they never contacted me again. i guessed maybe because i was still in uni. nohope:

that's why i'm starting to think they (employers) need a certain level of proof whether you're competent on taking the given job.

Hmm, most likely because of your student status, Bro. Thus your competency is seen as vague/ unproven (yet).

Non-sworn, IMHO, is simply a translator with or without any formal linguistic background (could be perhaps he/she is so good at one language) to differentiate to those who put extra effort to obtain a certificate as a sworn translator.
The income will be, I imagine, heaven and earth. Damn, why is that I keep talking about income....(sigh)
Ambrosiana - 26/04/2011 07:32 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By edo072
wow, the price difference is significant :matabelo
but its no problem, luckily my office paid for the fee
as a part of my scholarship application process siul:
besides, its the most convinient place that I can reach from my office

so, your payback attempt for me calling you uncle doesnt work ngacir:

Lucky you....

Quote:
Hmm, most likely because of your student status, Bro. Thus your competency is seen as vague/ unproven (yet).

Non-sworn, IMHO, is simply a translator with or without any formal linguistic background (could be perhaps he/she is so good at one language) to differentiate to those who put extra effort to obtain a certificate as a sworn translator.
The income will be, I imagine, heaven and earth. Damn, why is that I keep talking about income....(sigh)

I think it's just about our 'guts' to set our rate.
I know a translator from Sumatera, his name is Hipyan Nopri, and he set a rate IDR 100.000 for law document, eventhough he is not Sworn Translator. Certainly he already had lengthy trusted career in translation, so that he can defend his rate. Even some Sworn translators in Jakarta really surprised and envied about it.
p1nk3d_books - 26/04/2011 09:12 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By jeben

Bah, I have started translating when I was still in uni. When you're bad, you're bad. ngakaks J/k Jeben. You know you love me p
I have only translated fictional novels ever since and therefore I am weak in translating legal stuff: certificates, diplomas, letters, etc. I can never quite get how to form good formal language \( I'd like to learn but I don't know how or where. Is there any special private lesson for that kinda thing? In Surabaya particularly?

Anyway, to contribute to the thread, I'd like to recommend one of the bestest -according to me p- Eng-Ind dictionary software ever exist!
[CODE]https://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?t=6012675[/CODE]
I want to upload it to MF too but it's always failed. I guess MF restricts crack or keygen.
jeben - 27/04/2011 03:25 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
Bah, I have started translating when I was still in uni. When you're bad, you're bad. ngakaks J/k Jeben. You know you love me p
I have only translated fictional novels ever since and therefore I am weak in translating legal stuff: certificates, diplomas, letters, etc. I can never quite get how to form good formal language \( I'd like to learn but I don't know how or where. Is there any special private lesson for that kinda thing? In Surabaya particularly?

Anyway, to contribute to the thread, I'd like to recommend one of the bestest -according to me p- Eng-Ind dictionary software ever exist!
I want to upload it to MF too but it's always failed. I guess MF restricts crack or keygen.

lol. ngakaks
life's tough. i know...
jchristie - 27/04/2011 08:42 AM
good morning all....
Quote:
I think it's just about our 'guts' to set our rate.
I know a translator from Sumatera, his name is Hipyan Nopri, and he set a rate IDR 100.000 for law document, eventhough he is not Sworn Translator. Certainly he already had lengthy trusted career in translation, so that he can defend his rate.

Could not agree more with the words on bold. You can surely charged HIGHER if you have the guts and/or recognized (through long trusted career thumbup: ......................OR

Quote:

I have only translated fictional novels ever since and therefore I am weak in translating legal stuff: certificates, diplomas, letters, etc.

If you are a specialist like Dearest P1nk3d here. Assess yourself, know what you're enjoying translating the most. If you cannot cover a wide array of sectors, that focus on one. I could go on talking about the 'blue ocean strategy' but it would be more on business Peace:

I really should start assessing myself too...
Ambrosiana - 27/04/2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

If you are a specialist like Dearest P1nk3d here. Assess yourself, know what you're enjoying translating the most. If you cannot cover a wide array of sectors, that focus on one. I could go on talking about the 'blue ocean strategy' but it would be more on business Peace:

[COLOR="Silver"]I really should start assessing myself too...

Just curious, what is 'blue ocean strategy'? C'mon share us jchristie. I'm sure some of us in EF also never heard it before...[/color]
FrozenFlame - 27/04/2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Almost the same experience with sis p1nk3d,

I have been translating college and educational materials since my univ days before, and I specialize myself in translating Economics/Accounting/Management and Information Technology/Computer Hardware/Software stuffs. Sometimes, I got different tasks including Geology, Literature Excerpts, Written formal speeches, and for the rarest one Music Lyrics, and so on D

Usually I helped my friends with no fee at all, or they usually treat me to lunch/dinner p. But that changed when I graduated from my college.With years experience in my univ days, I am confident as one of trusted translator in my campus p. ( Worked part time as translator @JAC too, translating Management related documents )

And now I still love English Language, one of my main languages now D.

Here are some tips from my experience as translator ( I was certified translator in my college days ) :

1.Never give up and always adhere to formal rules of translation
2.Always keep your common/scientific/Advanced/Legal/Whatever Dictionary related to the topic u translate near you for easy look up
3.Always keep 'right' translation works example as reference base
4.And keep practising until you have grasped the feeling ( you'll be a lot faster and better after a while ) D
5.Speed Translating with fast 10-fingers typing is totally recommended D

That's all ^^;; Keep it up and God will do the rest \)

Quote:

Just curious, what is 'blue ocean strategy'? C'mon share us jchristie. I'm sure some of us in EF also never heard it before...

Blue Ocean Strategy is a management terms coined by W. Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne, a Strategy which illustrate A Blue Ocean, ( rather than red ocean where there are bloody mess around competitors ) a highly profitable and growing organization which can be generated by creating new demand in an uncontested market space or a "Blue Ocean", than by competing head-to-head with other suppliers for known customers in an existing industry

Quote:

For further reference, you can look up @http://www.blueoceanstrategy.com/
jchristie - 27/04/2011 02:05 PM
Blue Ocean Strategy from the eyes of a translator
Frozen Flame already put the basic understanding of the Blue Ocen Strategy shakehand so I'll try to project what I think applicable if you're a translator.

Fast fact : you are NOT the only translator in the neighborhood and there are always translators that can do the work with less payment compared to you. What would you do? well, how about some ideas:

a. Be a specialist
Like our beloved Sista P1nk3d above, who specialized in translating fictional novels. In fact, go much further into a specific genre of fictional novel. BE REALLY GOOD at it - when your name is synonymous with, let's say - a romantic novel - then you nailed it. Why, because you're not an average translator, you are THE BEST TRANSLATOR for romantic novel.

b. Try another ocean
OK, perhaps you are not confident enough or you would love to learn various sectors as you translate. Why don't you do so in another 'ocean' ? This will mean either you can start your business in other place (the competition is less in Padang compared to Jakarta) or you can start an online translation business, hence expanding your coverage area. You will have other 'ocean' to swim, rather than stay in the already crowded and stiff competition in the red ocean you're in now.

c. Be Different
This could be in your ethics in translating, in your method, in your client management. Do not do as others do - be yourself, be unique! Keep your quality high so people won;t mind paying you extra, because according to them; "That translator is different he always meet the deadline, no hassle, and a great communicator!"

as a wrap, I'll take an example for your previous post about Hipyan Nopri - that's a Blue Ocean Strategy!!! He chooses other ocean called Sumatra and he's being different with his rate which he compensate with quality.

So, how BLUE of a translator are you? metal:
Page 1 of 36 |  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)