ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 11 of 36 | ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >  Last ›

Ambrosiana - 21/06/2011 11:05 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly
That was actually my point. I still wonder why BCA is considered much more easier to be used than others.

Oh, sorry. But... Jakarta & Bekasi. They're so far away... \(

Ok, I can give you some reasons:
1. BCA has the most ATM amount in Indonesia. It can be found easily.
2. Online Banking which easy to be used from home.
3. Most of businessman (who possibly need our service) use BCA
4. It can be used for foreign financial transaction (as far as I know BRI and BNI cannot - one of my client, a ceramic artist used BII and BCA for foreign financial transaction. I went with him around Malang to find Bank who able to do such transaction, and found only three banks: BI, BII, and BCA)

About the vacancy, you never told me where do you live... I used to PM people I know about job vacancy...
Tell me where do you live. I will sms you everytime I heard a vacancy near your place...
badguybutwise - 22/06/2011 01:07 PM

wow, i just knew about this thread, took a while in reading it too..

i would very like to go pro immediately..
i have quiet an experience in translating indo-eng or eng-indo actually..
it all started around 08, and my current employer (i work as an assistant to several climate change project in ITB, doing stuff that actually bores me like editing reports and doing meeting minutes \( ) trusts me with proof reading almost all of the reports..trust me, not all of overseas doctorate graduates have good english ability \)) and i'm planning to resign around september..

i'm still looking for a better place for my skill, but due to my grad student status, i kinda get picky \) i want something that i can do freely from home..
why freely? because of my study, many assignments and thesis..so if anyone can help me with that i would be very grateful..
loc - 22/06/2011 11:47 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana
(as far as I know BRI and BNI cannot - one of my client, a ceramic artist used BII and BCA for foreign financial transaction. I went with him around Malang to find Bank who able to do such transaction, and found only three banks: BI, BII, and BCA)

About the vacancy, you never told me where do you live... I used to PM people I know about job vacancy...
Tell me where do you live. I will sms you everytime I heard a vacancy near your place...

BNI accounts can be used for int'l transactions, no problem. that's what i have and i've had no problem so far.

as far as domicile is concerned, considering that now almost everything is done by email, distance is no longer an issue. well, not in my case anyway. unless, of course, the client only has a hard copy to be translated.

Quote:
Original Posted By badguybutwise
wow, i just knew about this thread, took a while in reading it too..

it all started around 08, and my current employer (i work as an assistant to several climate change project in ITB, doing stuff that actually bores me like editing reports and doing meeting minutes \( ) trusts me with proof reading almost all of the reports..trust me, not all of overseas doctorate graduates have good english ability \)) and i'm planning to resign around september..

i'm still looking for a better place for my skill, but due to my grad student status, i kinda get picky \) i want something that i can do freely from home..
why freely? because of my study, many assignments and thesis..so if anyone can help me with that i would be very grateful..

climate change, eh? i just finished doing some translation on REDD, REDD+, carbon stock, forest inventory, stuff like that. i'm planning to have a team of translators with yours truly as the head translator, but i'm going to need people i can trust. one of the them tried to pull the google translator trick on me mads needless to say, i gave them a piece of my mind, i cut their pay, and the culprit is no longer on my team ngakaks yes: one mistake and they were out!

be professional! you can't be halfway there and expect good results (or pay).
badguybutwise - 23/06/2011 12:35 AM

really?using google?wew..glad u found out eh..

i'd rather translate everything on my own from scratch than to translate using google then edit the result..i never believe those translator engines anyway -_-
Ambrosiana - 23/06/2011 08:05 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By badguybutwise

Gyahahah... The easiest way is exposing yourself to public.
Try to put some advertisement in Translators site like Proz and Translatorscafe, since you've already had experience. I didn't suggest the step for beginner, but for you, you can start by doing it.
Quote:
Original Posted By loc
BNI accounts can be used for int'l transactions, no problem. that's what i have and i've had no problem so far.

as far as domicile is concerned, considering that now almost everything is done by email, distance is no longer an issue. well, not in my case anyway. unless, of course, the client only has a hard copy to be translated.

climate change, eh? i just finished doing some translation on REDD, REDD+, carbon stock, forest inventory, stuff like that. i'm planning to have a team of translators with [COLOR="Red"]yours truly as the head translator, but i'm going to need people i can trust. one of the them tried to pull the google translator trick on me mads needless to say, i gave them a piece of my mind, i cut their pay, and the culprit is no longer on my team ngakaks yes: one mistake and they were out!

be professional! you can't be halfway there and expect good results (or pay).

It's strange... at that time, my client had to receive money transfer from Prince Klaus - a NGO from Netherland. but BNI said that they could not do that. So we went around Malang, and finally used BII since BCA had higher tax on International transfer.

Eh, btw what do you mean by "yours truly". Someone who has close relation with you?[/COLOR]
loc - 23/06/2011 11:29 AM

Quote:
Eh, btw what do you mean by "yours truly". Someone who has close relation with you?

"yours truly" means "me", the person talking. it's from the letter closing.
Baterism - 23/06/2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Eh, btw what do you mean by "yours truly". Someone who has close relation with you?

I also don't understand this statement. Might it refers to himself? or his boss?**

Agan loc, we demand an explanation.mahos

*psst: agan loc how did you find out the culprit use google trans trick? I usually use google trans for fast dictionary (one word translation). it also has thesaurus so in my opinion it is really helpful. should I get the "real" one?

**edit: aww that was fast.
loc - 23/06/2011 03:14 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Baterism
*psst: agan loc how did you find out the culprit use google trans trick? I usually use google trans for fast dictionary (one word translation). it also has thesaurus so in my opinion it is really helpful. should I get the "real" one?

no problem if it'd been only single-word jobs. but if you copy-and-paste whole paragraphs into google translator, get them translated, and copy-and-paste the result back into the document, there's some sort of "residue" that tells us it was done by google, not the translator \)

and that's not even taking into account the funny wording hammers
Baterism - 23/06/2011 05:58 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
no problem if it'd been only single-word jobs. but if you copy-and-paste whole paragraphs into google translator, get them translated, and copy-and-paste the result back into the document, there's some sort of "residue" that tells us it was done by google, not the translator \)

I understand. For "professional" translator to doing that is just too... lazy (or stupid knowing that other people still able to find out). I wonder why he/she wanted to risk his/her job by doing that.

Thanks agan loc!iloveindonesias
Ambrosiana - 24/06/2011 07:52 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
"yours truly" means "me", the person talking. it's from the letter closing.

Gyahahahah...
Is that any Europe culture or writer who love to write "me" as "yours truly"?
or it's your original style?...
Monoxdifly - 24/06/2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Ok, I can give you some reasons:
1. BCA has the most ATM amount in Indonesia. It can be found easily.
2. Online Banking which easy to be used from home.
3. Most of businessman (who possibly need our service) use BCA
4. It can be used for foreign financial transaction (as far as I know BRI and BNI cannot - one of my client, a ceramic artist used BII and BCA for foreign financial transaction. I went with him around Malang to find Bank who able to do such transaction, and found only three banks: BI, BII, and BCA)

I live in Kartasura, a small town near Solo.

Quote:
Original Posted By loc

Quote:
I understand. For "professional" translator to doing that is just too... lazy (or stupid knowing that other people still able to find out). I wonder why he/she wanted to risk his/her job by doing that.

Thanks agan loc!iloveindonesias

Well, for any translators who use that lame kind of "method", I always call them as translators who lose their own pride...
p3ndo3l - 25/06/2011 10:30 AM

doing a small search and found this thread..

https://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?t=8991799

worth to try \)
p1nk3d_books - 25/06/2011 02:35 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p3ndo3l
doing a small search and found this thread..

https://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?t=8991799

worth to try \)

Itu outsource, biasanya utk mini website dan semacamnya, pokoknya untuk para internet marketer. Gajinya rendah banget terus dikejar2 kuota juga (1 bulan 30 artikel misalnya) so not worth to try D
p3ndo3l - 26/06/2011 12:00 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
Itu outsource, biasanya utk mini website dan semacamnya, pokoknya untuk para internet marketer. Gajinya rendah banget terus dikejar2 kuota juga (1 bulan 30 artikel misalnya) so not worth to try D

owh... belum pernah coba sih D

ya kali aja ada yang mau D

well, setelah dikasih arahan dari sis p1nk3d kayaknya mending jangan deh ya D

makasih sis peluk
Loyz.D - 30/06/2011 08:43 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc

I have the same experience with you the other days. One of my team members also did that. Sometimes google translate misplaces the structure of adjective. Sometimes, it translates certain expressions very literally or uses word-by-word translation method.

As a user of Google translate myself malus, I'm familiar with those errors which make me very aware whether a mistake done by a translator is caused by accident/carelessness or by his/her high trust to the translation engine combined with his/her laziness to edit the work.
jchristie - 01/07/2011 08:59 AM
[again] about networking and giving...
Sharing my personal experience in networking and giving as a translator...

Since April 2011, I've been involving myself with an organization that advocates/ promotes the rights to breastfeeding for mothers. The Secretary General of this non profit organization is an old friend. We used to work together in Jakarta until she decided to leave a rather secure job to work in her current organization now.

She called me one day to ask whether it is possible for me to help her with a translation. Having said that she may not be able to pay in full (due to the nature of her organization), I offered my service for FREE and here are my reasons:

a. Networking
If you anything at your best, people will notice AND if you do your best (in this case, in translating) and expect none in return, most likely people will notice AND SPREAD THE WORD. This is my sole expectation of receiving this kind of 'thank you project'. At least, you've sold your names and you got the networking

b. Giving
A more personal undertaking is that I saw this project as my way of 'giving back' for all of the things I have in my life.

Bottom line is, as a translator/ interpreter you surely need to spread the words about your skills. There are many ways to do so; advertising in social media, word of mouth, or taking the road less traveled like I did.

just my two cents...
Monoxdifly - 01/07/2011 09:20 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Loyz.D
I have the same experience with you the other days. One of my team members also did that. Sometimes google translate misplaces the structure of adjective. Sometimes, it translates certain expressions very literally or uses word-by-word translation method.

As a user of Google translate myself malus, I'm familiar with those errors which make me very aware whether a mistake done by a translator is caused by accident/carelessness or by his/her high trust to the translation engine combined with his/her laziness to edit the work.

Well, machines can't beat humans because humans make machines. \)
Ambrosiana - 01/07/2011 09:55 AM

Ah, jchristie has returned...
beer:
Always with fresh idea...
Actually I also believe that giving is one of our way to success...

About machine translation, I read some discussion about it in some international Translator's blogs, and they still have similar conclusion.
Recently Google is in the front row with their dream to create A.I which is able to think by itself. They still haven't got any clue how to copy human's nerves system which create unique experience to learn.
Until now they still feed the A.I by extra-large data to make it capable processing any information.
Google Chrome is one of their 'spy-tools' to copy data from all over the world. If you know a bit about IT, surely you know that Google Chrome sent large cookies to Google which made it possible to record all your activities and all data you access. That's the way Google collecting data.
Google Translate is one of their effort to create 'thinking translation machine' using many translation memory used by people of all over the world.
But it still impossible to do it now, since there's still impossible to imitate how nerves send signal to brain and process the experience to create knowledge.
So don't worry about machine translation - at least now...
Baterism - 01/07/2011 07:10 PM

Quote:
Ah, jchristie has returned...
beer:
Always with fresh idea...
Actually I also believe that giving is one of our way to success...

About machine translation, I read some discussion about it in some international Translator's blogs, and they still have similar conclusion.
Recently Google is in the front row with their dream to create A.I which is able to think by itself. They still haven't got any clue how to copy human's nerves system which create unique experience to learn.
Until now they still feed the A.I by extra-large data to make it capable processing any information.
Google Chrome is one of their 'spy-tools' to copy data from all over the world. If you know a bit about IT, surely you know that Google Chrome sent large cookies to Google which made it possible to record all your activities and all data you access. That's the way Google collecting data.
Google Translate is one of their effort to create 'thinking translation machine' using many translation memory used by people of all over the world.
But it still impossible to do it now, since there's still impossible to imitate how nerves send signal to brain and process the experience to create knowledge.
So don't worry about machine translation - at least now...

wut!!! chrome is a spy!

don't care, I don't use chrome. By the way, having a computer that can think and learn by itself is scary. Looking at the grow of technology, I think it's not safe to assume that computer translation won't replace human translator in next 20 years. Particularly in legal doc translation where it is more rigid compared literature translation. Human error (typo) might be a problem for machine, but if the machine really capable to "learn", that will be a problem for us.

I don't want to be slaved or replaced by robots!ngacir:

Well, better stop worrying the future and just do our best today.
The future is not ours to see.

About using "people memory" it reminds me to Pluto manga. A new exploration of Astro Boy from Naoki Urusawa, the creator of 20th Century Boy. Excellent manga for anybody interested in sci-fi.
p3ndo3l - 02/07/2011 08:35 AM

Quote:
wut!!! chrome is a spy!

don't care, I don't use chrome. By the way, having a computer that can think and learn by itself is scary. Looking at the grow of technology, I think it's not safe to assume that computer translation won't replace human translator in next 20 years. Particularly in legal doc translation where it is more rigid compared literature translation. Human error (typo) might be a problem for machine, but if the machine really capable to "learn", that will be a problem for us.

I don't want to be slaved or replaced by robots!ngacir:

Well, better stop worrying the future and just do our best today.
The future is not ours to see.

About using "people memory" it reminds me to Pluto manga. A new exploration of Astro Boy from Naoki Urusawa, the creator of 20th Century Boy. Excellent manga for anybody interested in sci-fi.

translation is not just about words and/or sentences.
It goes far beyond that.
There are cultures, styles and many other aspects influencing translation from one language to another.

If the computer uses only "people memory", there will be many flaws from it, because different style and use of language will differ the intended meaning of said language.
Page 11 of 36 | ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)