ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 12 of 36 | ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >  Last ›

Darariram - 09/07/2011 07:35 PM

Quote:
4.Sending Application to Publisher
There are many publisher in Indonesia, such as Gramedia, Gagasmedia, Mizan, and so on. You can write an application letter to work as translator for them. In this case, they will send you a kind of test to see your proficiency in translating. After you passed the test, they will send an official contract. You can also offer them your translation work to be published. Their address could be found easily through Internet search Engine.

hi all... D
I am new in Kaskus English Forum. I am very interested to what I quoted above. I have been translating my friends' works and I want something more, translating novels for publisher.
I got an unfinished translated novel, is it OK if I send it to a publisher? just want to show them my proficiency in translating. or should I finish it first?
what should I do?

thanks for your attentions D
Ambrosiana - 09/07/2011 10:38 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Darariram
hi all... D
I am new in Kaskus English Forum. I am very interested to what I quoted above. I have been translating my friends' works and I want something more, translating novels for publisher.
I got an unfinished translated novel, is it OK if I send it to a publisher? just want to show them my proficiency in translating. or should I finish it first?
what should I do?

thanks for your attentions D

I think it's a good idea to send them your sample of translation. I suggest you not to send all your translation, just send them some pages or one chapter at most, while you offer the novel to be published.
I wish your luck, dariram... beer:
p1nk3d_books - 10/07/2011 12:20 AM

Experiencing translator's block.

Is there such a thing??

Oh well... perhaps it's just laziness p

ngakaks
Ambrosiana - 10/07/2011 12:26 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
Experiencing translator's block.

Is there such a thing??

Oh well... perhaps it's just laziness p

ngakaks

You should refresh your mind, Sis...
Honestly I think you're a bit overwork (with three books)...
Maybe singing loud in Karaoke would help...hammer:

Btw, I've just heard about translator's block...bingungs
The common version I've heard is writer's block...p
p1nk3d_books - 10/07/2011 12:52 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

You should refresh your mind, Sis...
Honestly I think you're a bit overwork (with three books)...
Maybe singing loud in Karaoke would help...hammer:

Btw, I've just heard about translator's block...bingungs
The common version I've heard is writer's block...p

No, just two at this time. And you are right, there's no such thing as translator's block p I just made it up. ngakaks
An excuse to procrastinate...
Ceribe III - 12/07/2011 01:26 PM
ASK---> berapa sih fee untuk mentranslate inggris ke Indonesia?
Dear All,

Ku dpt tawaran untuk translate script film bahasa inggris ke dalam bahasa indonesia.
Durasi film nya sih 60 menit.

Expectation si client sih harus jadi bahasa indonesia yg baik dan benar alias bagus. Dgn hasil translate bukan dari Google Translate.
Technically itu sih no big deal untuk ku.

Cuman krn ini pertama buat ku, kira kira kalau di bayar 150rb untuk deadline dlm waktu 1 hari dan juga translate nya itu 60 menit durasi film (Gods know how many pages it might ended up)
Apakah payment tsb itu kategory std atau under-pay or???

Please advice dunk.
Thanks
Ceribe III - 12/07/2011 02:32 PM

Dear All,

Ku dpt tawaran untuk translate script film bahasa inggris ke dalam bahasa indonesia.

Expectation si client sih harus jadi bahasa indonesia yg baik dan benar alias bagus. Dgn hasil translate bukan dari Google Translate.

Cuman krn ini pertama buat ku, kira kira kalau di bayar 150rb untuk deadline dlm waktu 1 hari dan juga translate nya itu 60 menit durasi film (Gods know how many pages it might ended up)

Please advice dunk.
Thanks
loc - 12/07/2011 03:01 PM

i charge by the minute of the film duration (starting from the very first minute, i don't care if it's only the opening credit or even the FBI warning, all the way to the last, even if it's just the AHA certification). i charge up to double for rush work. i double that even further if the script isn't provided.

so yes, i'd feel underpaid if i had to do what you're offered to do.
Ceribe III - 12/07/2011 03:19 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
i charge by the minute of the film duration (starting from the very first minute, i don't care if it's only the opening credit or even the FBI warning, all the way to the last, even if it's just the AHA certification). i charge up to double for rush work. i double that even further if the script isn't provided.

so yes, i'd feel underpaid if i had to do what you're offered to do.

If i may asked, how much would you charged for a minute?
loc - 12/07/2011 04:30 PM

hahahaha! i knew it'd eventually come to this ngakaks

first of all, ask yourself the following questions: how good are you at translating? (i'm not talking only about your level of english here; only your clients/other translators can assess that.) do you have any experience? (the more experience you have, the more expensive you are, even though it doesn't necessarily make your english better.) is it an introductory/promo price? (promo prices are lower, of course.) how much do you need this job? (never let your clients know you're desperate, even if you are.)

the most important question is question number one: how good are you at translating? being good at english isn't enough. if you don't know how to put the translated dialogs into their proper indonesian context, then you wouldn't be worth much more than translation software.

i'm not going to tell you how much i charge (unless you're giving that job to me D), nor am i going to tell you how much you should charge. i will, however, tell you how much people i know have charged: between IDR 5,000 to 15,000+ per minute (see my post above about film duration) looks like the normal standard. now others may disagree here, but like i said, this is what i know people have done. (again, my rate is not the topic here. hahaha!)

good luck!
Ceribe III - 12/07/2011 04:43 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
hahahaha! i knew it'd eventually come to this ngakaks

first of all, ask yourself the following questions: how good are you at translating? (i'm not talking only about your level of english here; only your clients/other translators can assess that.) do you have any experience? (the more experience you have, the more expensive you are, even though it doesn't necessarily make your english better.) is it an introductory/promo price? (promo prices are lower, of course.) how much do you need this job? (never let your clients know you're desperate, even if you are.)

the most important question is question number one: how good are you at translating? being good at english isn't enough. if you don't know how to put the translated dialogs into their proper indonesian context, then you wouldn't be worth much more than translation software.

i'm not going to tell you how much i charge (unless you're giving that job to me D), nor am i going to tell you how much you should charge. i will, however, tell you how much people i know have charged: between IDR 5,000 to 15,000+ per minute (see my post above about film duration) looks like the normal standard. now others may disagree here, but like i said, this is what i know people have done. (again, my rate is not the topic here. hahaha!)

good luck!

Thanks for the inside tips.
It really help a lot. \)
Ambrosiana - 12/07/2011 07:19 PM

Quote:
No, just two at this time. And you are right, there's no such thing as translator's block p I just made it up. ngakaks
An excuse to procrastinate...

I've guessed it...
Quote:
Original Posted By Ceribe III
Dear All,

Please advice dunk.
Thanks

Dear Ceribe,
as loc said, it's really really really really really low price for movie translation.
You can ask double of that amount, and that's still cheap, even if it considered that you have not much experience on translation (as far as you truly have quality - remember, experience is not always equal to quality)
Ceribe III - 13/07/2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

I've guessed it...

Dear Ceribe,
as loc said, it's really really really really really low price for movie translation.
You can ask double of that amount, and that's still cheap, even if it considered that you have not much experience on translation (as far as you truly have quality - remember, experience is not always equal to quality)

Thanks Ambrosiana, i just submitted my quotation for the movie translation in a price which i believed is still reasonable for a newbie like me.
Hopefully the client say OK, else i just need to be back in the fishing game.
Loyz.D - 13/07/2011 04:24 PM

Guys, there will be an international symposium on translation + translation workshop...

If there are any of you guys interested in joining it, and if it does not violate any rules of this forum, I will post further information later.
p1nk3d_books - 13/07/2011 07:42 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Loyz.D
Guys, there will be an international symposium on translation + translation workshop...

If there are any of you guys interested in joining it, and if it does not violate any rules of this forum, I will post further information later.

It doesn't, so please post some info here.
Hope they hold it in Surabaya too \(
Loyz.D - 13/07/2011 09:16 PM

Quote:
It doesn't, so please post some info here.
Hope they hold it in Surabaya too \(

Hehe... perhaps you can ask the committee to hold in Surabaya next year, sist p1nk3d.

This year, it will be held in Universitas Indonesia, Depok on 26-27 November.
The theme is "The Translation of Culture-bound Texts"

We can choose to participate in either the international symposium or the translation workshop or both....
Hmm... I myself prefer the workshop since I think it will be more practical, but it's more expensive...\(

Gotta save some money until November... Hehe...

edited: the workshop will be held on 28-29 November.

The complete information can be read here:
http://lintasbahasa.ui.ac.id/events/109-international-translation-symposium.html
Baterism - 15/07/2011 09:35 AM

Excuse me, I don't know whether it is appropriate to ask it here.

Anybody know any in-house translator office in Tangerang or West Jakarta area?

I'm in holiday at least until mid September. I've just spent one week of holiday and have bored to (almost) death. So I think I better get some jobs or internship.

Thanks!ck
Loyz.D - 15/07/2011 11:10 PM

Guys, is there any free CAT tools out there?
I mean 100% free!
Yeah...I'm cheap... malus
Ambrosiana - 16/07/2011 07:43 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Loyz.D
Guys, is there any free CAT tools out there?
I mean 100% free!
Yeah...I'm cheap... malus

I have wordfast, but I don't know how to use it. PM me your email, I will send you Loyz..
Loyz.D - 18/07/2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

I have wordfast, but I don't know how to use it. PM me your email, I will send you Loyz..

Thx, bro Ambrosiana! shakehand2

Actually, I have downloaded the trial version of Wordfast just now. I hope I will be able to understand how to use it.
Many translators say that they can work faster with these tools, so I'd like to try them.
Page 12 of 36 | ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)