ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 13 of 36 | ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 >  Last ›

l08l - 19/07/2011 12:05 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ceribe III
Dear All,

Ku dpt tawaran untuk translate script film bahasa inggris ke dalam bahasa indonesia.
Durasi film nya sih 60 menit.

Expectation si client sih harus jadi bahasa indonesia yg baik dan benar alias bagus. Dgn hasil translate bukan dari Google Translate.
Technically itu sih no big deal untuk ku.

Cuman krn ini pertama buat ku, kira kira kalau di bayar 150rb untuk deadline dlm waktu 1 hari dan juga translate nya itu 60 menit durasi film (Gods know how many pages it might ended up)
Apakah payment tsb itu kategory std atau under-pay or???

Please advice dunk.
Thanks

I would rather sleep.. zzzzzzz...
assuming 1 minute = 1 page, and 1 page = Rp.10.000/Rp.5.000,- , then 60 minutes = Rp.600.000/Rp300.000,- = 4/2 x Rp.150.000,-
And I can't imagine if it is a drama, even more with lots of talking...

Quote:
Original Posted By Loyz.D
Guys, is there any free CAT tools out there?
I mean 100% free!
Yeah...I'm cheap... malus

Google Translator Toolkit , but you should have the suitable file for translation memories and glossary to use it optimally.

Everybody says Wordfast is good, but I don't even have a goddamn clue on how to use it. Perhaps anyone knows any institution who provide a course to utilize this software?
jchristie - 20/07/2011 12:18 PM
NEED to have VS NICE to have
Folks, allow me to share about what do you NEED to have VS NICE to have to become (at least) a good translator. NOTE that I'm not a FULL translator so, any addition from y'all will be highly appreciated.

NEED to have:
- Good interpersonal/ communicating skills, negotiation skills
- Good dictionary (mine is Oxford Advanced Learner's)
- 'Segmented' Dictionaries (so far I have glossary of Aviation, Mining, and Law)
- Networking (I'm still very low on this....)

NICE to have:
- electronic dictionary/ dictionary software (I have Concise Oxford 11th Ed.)

thanks...!
Loyz.D - 20/07/2011 01:47 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By jchristie
Folks, allow me to share about what do you NEED to have VS NICE to have to become (at least) a good translator. NOTE that I'm not a FULL translator so, any addition from y'all will be highly appreciated.

NEED to have:
- 'Segmented' Dictionaries (so far I have glossary of Aviation, Mining, and Law)

NICE to have:

thanks...!

For electronic dictionary, I usually use:
- Kamus 2.04, IndoDic >-- FREE!
- WordWeb (Monolingual dict. + thesaurus) >--- FREE & RECOMMENDED!
- Oxford Collocation Dictionary
- KBBI offline

I also use:
- Google Translate (it sucks to use this to translate a whole document, but it can be helpful in translating word or phrase with this TM)
p1nk3d_books - 20/07/2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

NEED to have:

NICE to have:

thanks...!

Quote:
Original Posted By Loyz.D
For electronic dictionary, I usually use:
- Kamus 2.04, IndoDic >-- FREE!
- WordWeb (Monolingual dict. + thesaurus) >--- FREE & RECOMMENDED!
- Oxford Collocation Dictionary
- KBBI offline

I also use:
- Google Translate (it sucks to use this to translate a whole document, but it can be helpful in translating word or phrase with this TM)

Don't forget LingvoSoft D
Loyz.D - 20/07/2011 03:11 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books

Ooops! Yeah.. I've downloaded it from your thread n I have installed it in my workplace.
Hehe...
jchristie - 20/07/2011 06:53 PM
thanks!
Quote:

MANY THANKS for the LingvoSoft too, Sis P1nk....downloaded already!
p1nk3d_books - 20/07/2011 11:27 PM

I need dictionary which has converter :sorry
All the measurements in the novels I translate(d) need to be converted into Indonesian, like miles >-- km, feet >-- m, pound >-- kg. And it's so hard to find one \(
Loyz.D - 20/07/2011 11:42 PM

Quote:
All the measurements in the novels I translate(d) need to be converted into Indonesian, like miles >-- km, feet >-- m, pound >-- kg. And it's so hard to find one \(

You might want to try this, sist p1nk:
http://download.cnet.com/Quad-Lock-Unit-Converter/3000-2054_4-10062102.html

It's not a dictionary, though.
jchristie - 21/07/2011 11:44 AM
selamat siang
Quote:

LUCKY I have a Moto Converter on my oldie but goodie phone....It can converts Currency, Time, Weight, Temperature, Volume, Speed, Length, Area...
JessicaJungs - 22/07/2011 01:30 AM

Cool thread with cool people..
I want to be translator..
But im to afraid to begin with..
Kinda not confidence with my English.. :'(
junker.elite - 26/07/2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

I could not agree more with the above advise, if you have skill in translation - you should honor that. Getting paid (no matter how little) is one of them. Of course you can say," Ah, itung-itung bantu temen..." sometimes but when your so called friend come with 10 pages of translation material, I do hope you honor yourself by stating some fee.
Hey, if he/ she is really your friend, I bet the fee won't be a problem and in the end of day getting paid for what you did will not change the fact that you HELPED your friend anyway.

beer:

sometimes our what do u call iseng2 would give more experience to usHow to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
jaya28inside - 07/08/2011 01:33 PM
great
Quote:
Original Posted By PrinceLaharl
I thought i dropped by to give a few thoughts about this whole translator thingy..

to be a translator, first you have to ask yourself, are you qualified to be a translator? are you good enough to translate perfectly, flawless, with zero mistakes? because if you do with for money, its all about professionalism. its not the translation thread in EF when you make few mistakes others will kindly correct your translation. your clients will demand perfection in your jobs. and if translation service become more important in the future and more people become a translator, there should be a certification for translators. there should be something like a short course or a test for it, and if they pass it, not only they will be a qualified translator, but also a certified translator..

and don't forget to be a translator, you have to understand about the thing you are translating. so you must have an expert in your team. if you are translating a law document, you must have a law expert in your team. or if you are translating an engineering module, you must have an engineering expert in your team. otherwise you won't get a good result. i.e i would bet my whole live savings that no one will be able to translate Christie J Geankoplis : Transport Processes and Unit Operations if they have never studied Chemical Engineering before..

my point is, maybe its not hard to be a translator if you are used to use English, but its a lot harder to be a good translator, not to mention a professional translator..

Just my two cent.. \)

two thumbs up!
jaya28inside - 07/08/2011 01:49 PM
lol
Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Reason No. 1: My wife thinks I’m a genius.

this one really made me laugh. lol. :thumbup
chelakova - 11/08/2011 12:12 AM
hi...
hi bro Ambrosiana..

very inspiring thread I got here...
It was a month ago when I was wondering to be a translator / interpreter. The story begun when my office held this international event and needed an interpreter. I thought the job is interesting as well as the fee \)b

Then, I started to browse in net to find any info I need about becoming a translator / interpreter. and There it is, I found this thread. Yet, I've just started to read this thread today. I'm in page 7 now and I will continue tomorrow..

I plan to join any interpreter course like in Hapsa et Studia or in PPB UI, what do you think about that, is it a good step or not?
cause I'm a newbie in this translation world

thanks a bunch
Ambrosiana - 11/08/2011 10:03 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By chelakova
hi bro Ambrosiana..

very inspiring thread I got here...
It was a month ago when I was wondering to be a translator / interpreter. The story begun when my office held this international event and needed an interpreter. I thought the job is interesting as well as the fee \)bs

Then, I started to browse in net to find any info I need about becoming a translator / interpreter. and There it is, I found this thread. Yet, I've just started to read this thread today. I'm in page 7 now and I will continue tomorrow..

I plan to join any interpreter course like in Hapsa et Studia or in PPB UI, what do you think about that, is it a good step or not?
cause I'm a newbie in this translation world

thanks a bunch

Hi Chelakova,
I'm so proud my thread inspired you... malus
I heard so many good testimonies about those two courses (Hapsa et Studia and PPB UI). So I think it's a great idea to learn there.
I think the course would be excellent experience, since nowadays, many interpreting projects need specific tools to be mastered. It would be taught on the course.

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything, because I'm proud if I can help you with something.
I hope you can reach your dream to be great translator / interpreter D
chelakova - 15/08/2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Hi Chelakova,
I'm so proud my thread inspired you... malus
I heard so many good testimonies about those two courses (Hapsa et Studia and PPB UI). So I think it's a great idea to learn there.
I think the course would be excellent experience, since nowadays, many interpreting projects need specific tools to be mastered. It would be taught on the course.

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything, because I'm proud if I can help you with something.
I hope you can reach your dream to be great translator / interpreter D

Thanks for the support...
I finished reading this thread couple days ago
and I'll stay tune on this thread...

Now, I'm in a moment of recalling my English knowledge and skill,
I will improve them first until I think I'm well prepared to start
and Of course, I'll pm you.. *I think there would be something to ask D *

Thanks ahead,
regards
jaya28inside - 23/08/2011 02:55 AM
seems....
seems everybody still "Sleep" at this moment....
is it no longer updates, guys? \(
Ambrosiana - 23/08/2011 10:44 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By jaya28inside
seems everybody still "Sleep" at this moment....
is it no longer updates, guys? \(

Gyahahah...
I'm sorry.
However, that's nice idea to do some update. I will find some benefit information to fill in the posts... DDD
retsiger - 24/08/2011 01:45 PM
Thank's a lot
hi, I'm retsiger, I'm new at kaskus and of course new in EF.

After finished reading this thread, I just want to say Thank's a lot.
This thread not only inspiring for me but also considered as my first step to become translator.

There's so much thing for me to do to become translator, but because of this thread, I know that I'm in the right path.

I'm sorry my english is not good enough, I'll try to improve my english and then try to start translating.

regards
retsiger
jaya28inside - 24/08/2011 10:29 PM
and i shall say that....
Quote:

Gyahahah...
I'm sorry.
However, that's nice idea to do some update. I will find some benefit information to fill in the posts... DDD

of course Ambrosiana, sharing is a big matter here. D
anyway, may I start talk abit about the translator stuff?
you know the proz.com over there? i thought the user who register under non-paid account could get the job over there as a new comer.... is there any hint to obtain well-translator-job over there without registering the 129USD account? (i surprised lol). really. D
Page 13 of 36 | ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)