ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 16 of 36 | ‹ First  < 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >  Last ›

jaya28inside - 14/09/2011 03:54 PM
hmmm
i'm reading..... nyimak.... How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

anyway, sorry to bump in.
is there any kind of journalist team in the area of west java ~selatan: ciamis?
Baterism - 14/09/2011 04:32 PM

@loc: I joined through internet. I got the email address from the website and then I contacted them about how to join HPI. They said I could register through internet, they sent the application in .doc and I just need to fill it. After that I sent it back along with the scanned cover of book I've translated since it is a prerequisite to get full membership (you could see in hpi website for more info). Then transfer the administration cost + one year membership.

@ambro: oh it's okay if that is the case. I'm not in hurry anyway. And yes, I've been using my HPI number since I got the... what is "surat pengangkatan" in English, appointment letter?

terima kasih agan2.iloveindonesias
manafduke - 14/09/2011 09:41 PM

Halo guys, finally I found this thread.

I am a newbie in this field and I think I am about to enter the translation world.
I've just graduate from my diploma program in English. My experience in Translation is I used to have an internship program in a paid-TV service company as a synopsis translator. Also I wrote my final project about translation.

Now, I have an opportunity to work as an In-house translator in a consulting company. What do you think guys? I need your input about future career, salary, working environment and other things since I am a fresh graduate and have no experience. I need your feedback as my consideration.

Thank you.
Ambrosiana - 15/09/2011 10:27 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By manafduke
Halo guys, finally I found this thread.

I am a newbie in this field and I think I am about to enter the translation world.
I've just graduate from my diploma program in English. My experience in Translation is I used to have an internship program in a paid-TV service company as a synopsis translator. Also I wrote my final project about translation.

Now, I have an opportunity to work as an In-house translator in a consulting company. What do you think guys? I need your input about future career, salary, working environment and other things since I am a fresh graduate and have no experience. I need your feedback as my consideration.

Thank you.

I guess you're on the right path since you're now working in house. shakehand2
Enjoy the phase, including salary given and also working environment. Consider this phase as chance for further learning for you.

I think you need to collect more portfolios by translating more projects, also learn more about CAT Tools.
Taking certificate and sworn translator certificate would also give you more advantage when you decided to be freelance later ;)
manafduke - 15/09/2011 11:46 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

I guess you're on the right path since you're now working in house. shakehand2
Enjoy the phase, including salary given and also working environment. Consider this phase as chance for further learning for you.

I think you need to collect more portfolios by translating more projects, also learn more about CAT Tools.
Taking certificate and sworn translator certificate would also give you more advantage when you decided to be freelance later ;)

Thank you, but I am not familiar with CAT Tools in translation. What CAT Tools I can use? Sorry, I am newcomer in this field so I need your advice. :addfriends .
Sometimes I use google translate, is it OK? I mean it just for saving my time.
Ambrosiana - 15/09/2011 03:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you, but I am not familiar with CAT Tools in translation. What CAT Tools I can use? Sorry, I am newcomer in this field so I need your advice. How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world) .
Sometimes I use google translate, is it OK? I mean it just for saving my time.

CAT Tools is not similar with dictionary or translation tool. It just supported you to do huge project with many term repetition. The most popular CAT Tools recently is Trados. Sometimes, some foreign agencies offered project with Trados mastery as one of its condition.
Most freelance translators I know bought this software from SDL to assure they have the complete support from the company. If I'm not mistaken, it cost about IDR 400.000 (it's already discount price since last year, it was sold IDR 800.000). To master it, I suggest you to follow Trados workshop when it's held. Commonly, it's held in Jakarta by HPI support. I'll give an information if there's any more workshop related with Trados.

FYI, the competition to join the workshop was so hard. In previous workshop, the ticket is already sold out only for three days after it was announced matabelo:

It's not a must, but since you ask about what can you do to improve your career, so I suggested it D
manafduke - 15/09/2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

CAT Tools is not similar with dictionary or translation tool. It just supported you to do huge project with many term repetition. The most popular CAT Tools recently is Trados. Sometimes, some foreign agencies offered project with Trados mastery as one of its condition.
Most freelance translators I know bought this software from SDL to assure they have the complete support from the company. If I'm not mistaken, it cost about IDR 400.000 (it's already discount price since last year, it was sold IDR 800.000). To master it, I suggest you to follow Trados workshop when it's held. Commonly, it's held in Jakarta by HPI support. I'll give an information if there's any more workshop related with Trados.

FYI, the competition to join the workshop was so hard. In previous workshop, the ticket is already sold out only for three days after it was announced matabelo:

It's not a must, but since you ask about what can you do to improve your career, so I suggested it D

Waaawww, a very nice info cendols

It's really useful. BTW, is Trados only available when the workshop is held or It is sold in particular place?? Beside Trados, is there any CAT Tools that is recommended and available easily??

BTW, do you mind if I send you PM for further questions cekpms ???
I would be glad if you could give any info related to Translation

Thanks
Ambrosiana - 16/09/2011 04:50 PM

Quote:
Waaawww, a very nice info cendols

It's really useful. BTW, is Trados only available when the workshop is held or It is sold in particular place?? Beside Trados, is there any CAT Tools that is recommended and available easily??

BTW, do you mind if I send you PM for further questions cekpms ???
I would be glad if you could give any info related to Translation

Thanks

Trados is the most popular CAT Tool right now. The other popular CAT Tool is wordfast.
Related with your question, I think the workshop only provides Trados since the title used to be: "Pelatihan Penggunaan Trados 2009" or similar title like that hammer:
If you open Proz.com or Translatorscafe.com, you'll find that Trados commonly used by many translators from various country.

Feel free to PM me further questions. I'll be glad to help as far as I can do it. DDD
jaya28inside - 16/09/2011 06:19 PM
hmmm
Quote:

Trados is the most popular CAT Tool right now. The other popular CAT Tool is wordfast.
Related with your question, I think the workshop only provides Trados since the title used to be: "Pelatihan Penggunaan Trados 2009" or similar title like that hammer:
If you open Proz.com or Translatorscafe.com, you'll find that Trados commonly used by many translators from various country.

Feel free to PM me further questions. I'll be glad to help as far as I can do it. DDD

ic ic ic.... hehehe How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
xntrique - 17/09/2011 02:46 PM

ooh well done becoming a free lance translator and making a good living \) i think in the end it's just about how much work you can do quicker and quicker... it takes practice. it can be really daunting to keep on working on translation. i guess being interested in the topic that we're translating is pretty good. itung2 nambah ilmu en jadi bahan ngobrol hahaha \) but in the end, if we understand the material, our quality of translation is higher as well because you're thinking like the writer and i think that's what customers want.
gr8panda - 20/09/2011 10:45 AM
newbie offering help as a trainee to real translator
My major in University was Japanese. But since graduating from university i always working with English. i don't say my English is good but i keep on learning to improve mine. now i am working in a JICA Project as a translator, but i always think i still need to improve my English by spending more time working with English than just simply work in office. f.y.i in my working place my work load is not much, after i finished translating the reports, i m free to surf the internet all day.

feel free to contact me if u are a translator and need a trainee or assistant. just pm me (i check kaskus daily). don't worry about the payment, since i am also learning from u so it is not a big deal.

iloveindonesias
therealagashi - 20/09/2011 05:35 PM
Translation rate per page
Dear All;

I understand that it's common to charge a rate per page. Just to clarify, would the rate be per source page? Or is it per translated page?

Regards
Ambrosiana - 20/09/2011 07:52 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By therealagashi
Dear All;

I understand that it's common to charge a rate per page. Just to clarify, would the rate be per source page? Or is it per translated page?

Regards

Actually it depends on your own policy, Agashi D
You can use per source or per result page.
It can also be per word or per character.

Just as description, according to HPI suggestion rate (it used to be for document), translation rate per page (result) is IDR 60.000 and for sworn translation, the translation rate per page (result) is IDR 100.000. (I can bring you the official source if you want it)
Surely in reality the rate is various and many people use lower rate.
therealagashi - 20/09/2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Actually it depends on your own policy, Agashi D
You can use per source or per result page.
It can also be per word or per character.

Just as description, according to HPI suggestion rate (it used to be for document), translation rate per page (result) is IDR 60.000 and for sworn translation, the translation rate per page (result) is IDR 100.000. (I can bring you the official source if you want it)
Surely in reality the rate is various and many people use lower rate.

Dear Ambrosiana;

Thank you for your insight. So I guess it's safe to assume that it's more common to charge per page of translation result then. \)

Regards. How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Ambrosiana - 20/09/2011 10:20 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By therealagashi
Dear Ambrosiana;

Thank you for your insight. So I guess it's safe to assume that it's more common to charge per page of translation result then. \)

Regards. How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

Your welcome D
As additional information, most translators in Proz used to charge per word of translation source.
Because many projects are worked using CAT Tool (mostly Trados), the same word isn't counted.
therealagashi - 20/09/2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Your welcome D
As additional information, most translators in Proz used to charge per word of translation source.
Because many projects are worked using CAT Tool (mostly Trados), the same word isn't counted.

Yikes. If that's the case, I'd lose quite some counts for words like I, me, the, and, to, and all common words...
Nice info tho...
anak_singkong - 21/09/2011 10:21 AM

My father was used to be a translator. He was a sworn translator. Unfortunately about a two weeks ago he had passed away. RIP my dad \(

I used to worked for another company. I quit from my job and decide to handle my father job. This is our family business and I have to jump into this business even I’m not good in English. We have two qualified translator but I think I must ascertain my knowledge in english very well. My father said to become a qualified english-Indonesia translator you must have a perfect grammar.

Learning and study is the key to become perfect. I took Management as my major instead of english. In that time my dad didn’t forbid me to take any major. Now I have a regret feeling why I didn’t choose English as my major in the past.

Now I can only translate a few jobs especially the english to indonesian but I cannot handle the reverse.

What should I do at this moment?

PS: please correct my grammar in this thread. thank you \)
Ambrosiana - 21/09/2011 01:22 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By anak_singkong
My father was used to be a translator. He was a sworn translator. Unfortunately about a two weeks ago he had passed away. RIP my dad \(

I used to worked for another company. I quit from my job and decide to handle my father job. This is our family business and I have to jump into this business even I’m not good in English. We have two qualified translator but I think I must ascertain my knowledge in english very well. My father said to become a qualified english-Indonesia translator you must have a perfect grammar.

Learning and study is the key to become perfect. I took Management as my major instead of english. In that time my dad didn’t forbid me to take any major. Now I have a regret feeling why I didn’t choose English as my major in the past.

Now I can only translate a few jobs especially the english to indonesian but I cannot handle the reverse.

What should I do at this moment?

PS: please correct my grammar in this thread. thank you \)

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your father berdukas
He must be a dedicated translator berdukas
It's too bad I don't have a chance to know him...

From your description, it seems like your father's translation agency is huge one. I think you should hire a trustable editor / reviewer. It would support your work.
I can introduce you some good editors / reviewers if you want to. Feel free to PM/VM me your city, and I would find you good translator on my list who also live in the same city.
Otherwise, you can learn to be a good editor / reviewer, so you can handle the business. It would be better for you because you're the one who know about the business.
Feel free to contact me anytime if there's something I can do for you, Pal.
anak_singkong - 21/09/2011 02:02 PM

^
Thanks for your sympathy. We employed two translators here and I think it's enough for us. As you see my english is terrible and I determine to develop it.

As you said about my job description and it was. I'm getting involved in editing and reviewing some paper before it's being given to our customer.

I've ever been a student at LIA and my latest grade was Intermediate III. Should I continue that course or not? I also signed in Universitas Terbuka, the long distance learning concept, in order to get a degree in English.

I read some english articles, literature, news or any kind of topics in internet to improve my english skill. Moreover all I need is a mentor or tutor to improve my english literacy.

PS: Don't hesitate or feel reluctant to correct my grammar in this thread.
Ambrosiana - 21/09/2011 08:59 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By anak_singkong
^
Thanks for your sympathy. We employed two translators here and I think it's enough for us. As you see my english is terrible and I determine to develop it.

As you said about my job description and it was. I'm getting involved in editing and reviewing some paper before it's being given to our customer.

I've ever been a student at LIA and my latest grade was Intermediate III. Should I continue that course or not? I also signed in Universitas Terbuka, the long distance learning concept, in order to get a degree in English.

I read some english articles, literature, news or any kind of topics in internet to improve my english skill. Moreover all I need is a mentor or tutor to improve my english literacy.

PS: Don't hesitate or feel reluctant to correct my grammar in this thread.

I guess you've already had strong will to go on with the business.
So, learning more and more is the only answer for your problem D
I appreciate your effort to learn more about English. I'm sure it would be great for your business. I hope all things will run well for you Pal. beer:
As additional suggestion, I suggest you to join Association of Indonesian Translators (Himpunan Penerjemah Indonesia). It will be easier for you to get certificates, sworn translator, or join some workshops hold regularly by them to improve your skill. It would also be useful for you to get more information about translation world and law protection related with problem with client (you know sometimes nasty client caused problems such as paid us lower than promised, complaining project result which actually correct, etc)

Feel free to contact me if there's something I can do for you.
Page 16 of 36 | ‹ First  < 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)