ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 17 of 36 | ‹ First  < 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 >  Last ›

HE.nyitnyit.net - 23/09/2011 07:19 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By therealagashi
Dear All;

I understand that it's common to charge a rate per page. Just to clarify, would the rate be per source page? Or is it per translated page?

Regards

it depends, but most of online translations were paid per words.. here are some rate (from my experience)
Japanese - English = 0,05 per word
Japanese - Indonesian = 0,05 per word
Indonesian - Japanese = 0,1 per word
Indonesian - English = 0,04 per word
English - Indonesian = 0,03 per word

those were minimum rate for me, even though we're competing with the world so there will be heavy competition out there. for example English to Indonesian Pairs my minimum rate is 0,03 USD per word but some people are accepting 0,01 USD per word (which is not worth it time consuming job for me).

but after all, it's the bidding mechanism took in charge.. and the customer will look for the cheapest and best option available as ussual.. ^^V

fell free to visit my blog at _http://erisukolies.blogspot.com
there are some material that might usable for you if you want to be freelance or full time translator

TRANSLATION SERVICES IS MORE THAN TRANSLATING A PIECE OF PAPER
Baterism - 23/09/2011 01:00 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By HE.nyitnyit.net
it depends, but most of online translations were paid per words.. here are some rate (from my experience)
Japanese - English = 0,05 per word
Japanese - Indonesian = 0,05 per word
Indonesian - Japanese = 0,1 per word
Indonesian - English = 0,04 per word
English - Indonesian = 0,03 per word

those were minimum rate for me, even though we're competing with the world so there will be heavy competition out there. for example English to Indonesian Pairs my minimum rate is 0,03 USD per word but some people are accepting 0,01 USD per word (which is not worth it time consuming job for me).

but after all, it's the bidding mechanism took in charge.. and the customer will look for the cheapest and best option available as ussual.. ^^V

fell free to visit my blog at _http://erisukolies.blogspot.com
there are some material that might usable for you if you want to be freelance or full time translator

TRANSLATION SERVICES IS MORE THAN TRANSLATING A PIECE OF PAPER

Thanks for the information! I've read some of the articles in your blog, and it was pretty interesting.

I was never know that freelance translator also need invoice (bon, that's what I usually call it).

I think the hardest part in becoming freelance translator is the marketing part. Especially for me... Do you have any suggestion for that?

One more thing (little bit OOT, sorry), I also study Japanese by myself in spare time, and honestly I think that language is awfully difficult. I mean, I study the grammar then I study the kanji, then I forget the grammar and remember the kanji. I know what that kanji means in Indonesia/English but I forget how it is read in Japanese. I stop learning Japanese for one to two weeks and everything that I've learned vanished.
I feel my learning method is not effective. Any recommendation?

Thank you!iloveindonesias
BobbyDens - 23/09/2011 01:45 PM
Please Help Me (Bantu Transletin)
Siang gan Please Help Me :sorry

Ada jasa buat transletin bahasa inggris ke indonesia gak gan...

saya lagi butuh jasa tersebut buat nyelesain tugas saya masalah ongkos tar

bisa di bicarakan....

COD sekitar jakarta barat ma selatan y....

B.inggris nya B.inggris teknik gan....Khususnya teknik elektro..

Job nya ada 4 lembar gan...

Contact me 0857 1054 8686 or PM

Thanks y Gan[/SIZE]
HE.nyitnyit.net - 23/09/2011 04:49 PM

haha.. thank you for reading my blog. i don't have time to update it yet, since now I'm teaching Japanese at Semarang National University.
But yes, before i became a lecturer, I'm working as a freelance translator for about 2-3 years. Building portfolio and client connection is the hardest part, making yourself well known among clients, improving your language skill, etc..

about Japanese language, for me Japanese language is irreplaceable by the google translate. You can have other language pair done by a simple click on google translate, but not Japanese, since its grammar doesn'tneed subject.. so any translation from google translate can not be 100% accurate.
And also, people who mastered Japanese is divided into two, there are people who good at conversation and people who good at translating a document. people with good Japanese speaking ability sometimes don't have the ability to translating document, since translating document need lots of Kanji knowledge, grammar, vocabulary which is far more complex than just speaking Japanese.

and yes, as an online freelance translator we need Invoice, since we got paid 30 days after our job is completed. lots of experience i gain from becoming freelance translator, being not paid, client refuse to accept translated file with many reason, got cut by half because bad translation (subjective), etc...

oh yes, there is some information i can give you all... most of translation agency from Europe or US were specifically asking us to be understand some of software, mostly is SDL Trados ( I recommended you to have this software and learn it by yourself, its quite expensive software but i got it from rapid*share couple years back)

oh last but not least, this Kaskus account is belong to my husband and not me.. haha.. we share account. (actually it's the first thread i read and post at kaskus.. lol). so if you have any question, just ask in this thread or my blog, don't PM this account since my husband won't understand a bit..
Baterism - 23/09/2011 06:34 PM

Quote:
haha.. thank you for reading my blog. i don't have time to update it yet, since now I'm teaching Japanese at Semarang National University.
But yes, before i became a lecturer, I'm working as a freelance translator for about 2-3 years. Building portfolio and client connection is the hardest part, making yourself well known among clients, improving your language skill, etc..

about Japanese language, for me Japanese language is irreplaceable by the google translate. You can have other language pair done by a simple click on google translate, but not Japanese, since its grammar doesn'tneed subject.. so any translation from google translate can not be 100% accurate.
And also, people who mastered Japanese is divided into two, there are people who good at conversation and people who good at translating a document. people with good Japanese speaking ability sometimes don't have the ability to translating document, since translating document need lots of Kanji knowledge, grammar, vocabulary which is far more complex than just speaking Japanese.

and yes, as an online freelance translator we need Invoice, since we got paid 30 days after our job is completed. lots of experience i gain from becoming freelance translator, being not paid, client refuse to accept translated file with many reason, got cut by half because bad translation (subjective), etc...

oh yes, there is some information i can give you all... most of translation agency from Europe or US were specifically asking us to be understand some of software, mostly is SDL Trados ( I recommended you to have this software and learn it by yourself, its quite expensive software but i got it from rapid*share couple years back)

oh last but not least, this Kaskus account is belong to my husband and not me.. haha.. we share account. (actually it's the first thread i read and post at kaskus.. lol). so if you have any question, just ask in this thread or my blog, don't PM this account since my husband won't understand a bit..

Thanks for the reply, I have one more question:

What format should we use for the invoice? PDF? or is there a way to make word doc cannot be edited?

Trados seemed very important in this business. Maybe I really should take a look at that software.

Got it.

Off to IDWS, I hope they have it.ngacir:

Thanks!
HE.nyitnyit.net - 23/09/2011 08:24 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Baterism
Thanks for the reply, I have one more question:

What format should we use for the invoice? PDF? or is there a way to make word doc cannot be edited?

Trados seemed very important in this business. Maybe I really should take a look at that software.

Got it.

Off to IDWS, I hope they have it.ngacir:

Thanks!

any format should do, word doc can be locked for editing using microsoft word feature ( i don't know for sure, but it can be done.. just googling it). for invoice sample you can download it from my blog under "Download-Penerjemahan"

I don't think IDWS or any IIX server has SDL Trados, but if a lot of people want to know more about SDL Trados, maybe i will upload it at Maknyos*com (SDL Trados is about 1GB). but for uploading 1Gb of files, it might need some time.. lol..
(or i just can send you the hardcopy in DVD.. cheaper.. lol)

@thejobabove
you can just scan (if it is an image) or just sent it through email to any translator candidate here, it doesn't have to be COD.
Since it's technical English, i can't help you.. someone else here maybe???
Baterism - 23/09/2011 09:26 PM

Quote:
any format should do, word doc can be locked for editing using microsoft word feature ( i don't know for sure, but it can be done.. just googling it). for invoice sample you can download it from my blog under "Download-Penerjemahan"

I don't think IDWS or any IIX server has SDL Trados, but if a lot of people want to know more about SDL Trados, maybe i will upload it at Maknyos*com (SDL Trados is about 1GB). but for uploading 1Gb of files, it might need some time.. lol..
(or i just can send you the hardcopy in DVD.. cheaper.. lol)

@thejobabove
you can just scan (if it is an image) or just sent it through email to any translator candidate here, it doesn't have to be COD.
Since it's technical English, i can't help you.. someone else here maybe???

I'm downloading it with torrent. It seems there are some difficulties in patching it.
I'll give the report later.

*put on eye patch

har-har-har.

(I promise I'll get the legal version when I've got enough money)
HE.nyitnyit.net - 23/09/2011 09:32 PM

there are no problems with my SDL Trados AIO + crack though..
just let me know.

if my husband have time, i will ask him to upload it on his Private hosting server (high speed download enabled).
p1nk3d_books - 23/09/2011 11:13 PM

^^^ Sis, you are awesome!! Your experience is priceless and I appreciate your sharing here!

By the way, pls don't upload it to Maknyos since they have a policy that if no one downloads the file after 30 days, the file will be erased automatically.
You can split it into parts then upload it one by one.
I guess you can use WinRAR to help you.

One more question, I am actually very embarrassed to ask this kinda question. Actually, how does translator do they job?
I usually put the book in front of my laptop and then start typing in Word, occasionally looking for any difficult words in dictionary or web. Does profesional translator do it differently?
I am kinda wondering about this all this time...
HE.nyitnyit.net - 23/09/2011 11:21 PM

well then in that case i have to ask my husband to ask for maknyos admin (dono idws) to make his account premium.. lol (joke dono)..

and yes, the SDL trados i have is splitted into 10 files.. total 1gb of files.
Maybe i'll ask my husband to upload it on his hosting server then (it may took a while.. but we'll get on it ASAP.

and for information, there are a lot of more experience about translating service here at this thread. I'm just a newbie... 2 years translating experience is nothing. Now i dont have time to do translating service since teaching at University is time consuming.. no more freelance translating now.. lol.

how translator do his/her job? same question were asked to myself.. by myself couple years back.. haha. At first i'm thinking just like you.. then as time goes by, i realize there are some other elements that support translating service (you can read 1st post on this thread).

and for me, when i'm translating document there are at least 2-3 online dictionary on my browser (since i'm japanese translator, i need lots of Kanji resources...lol), beside online dictionary there are also a Big Book of Kanji (you can kill a cat by throw it to them) and also electronic dictionary. (i wrote it down also on my blog here _http://erisukolies.blogspot.com/2010/12/kamus-offline-dan-online-yang-sangat.html).
other resources are offline translator, software such as wordfast, sdl trados, other CAT Tools.

and for information you must learn to be expert in just 1 or 2 minor subject, for example.. english translation.. there are mechanical, electrical, law, medicine, health, general english, etc... u must know your ability, don't accept Law related document such as agreement, legal document, etc if you are not familiar with the common words use in legal translation (believe me, there are BIG Different in every specific field of translation). just focused on your best.. you are good at mechanical electrical.. then learn harder. familiar with medicine and health.. then expand your vocabulary...

be more specific, be more professional
don't say .. yes i can translate English to Indonesian..
but say.. yes i can translate English to Indonesian, especially in Law Field just like your assignment (just example)
Ambrosiana - 24/09/2011 03:45 PM

^^
Wow... Your experience in translation world is amazed me, Sis.
I hope you would love to share your experience more about facing foreign agencies, especially the unique experience you had.
It would be great for us to know more about marketing translation business online from you. D

I've visited your blog too and it gave more insight for me in translation.
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

I suggest you to make your own Kaskus ID. It seems there would be many people enthusiastic in asking you anything related with translation world.
el_stup1do - 24/09/2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Lil 'ol stu dropping by for a quick visit.

Just chime in a bit on this subject matter, I would highly recommend PDF for transporting documents. Not only that it is harder to edit (harder not impossible), the key feature of portability is a big thing since there are others who uses Apple and Linux. In addition, with MS word there can be compatibility issues that could make your document unreadable, changes in format, etc. If the customer does not specify on the submission, then PDF is the way to go. Plus, you can always get a free pdf writer like cutepdf or something while MS Office can cost pretty penny while open office and libre office is not quite there yet.
HE.nyitnyit.net - 25/09/2011 05:55 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana
^^
Wow... Your experience in translation world is amazed me, Sis.
I hope you would love to share your experience more about facing foreign agencies, especially the unique experience you had.
It would be great for us to know more about marketing translation business online from you. D

I've visited your blog too and it gave more insight for me in translation.

I suggest you to make your own Kaskus ID. It seems there would be many people enthusiastic in asking you anything related with translation world.

no, i'm not gonna make my own kaskus ID. this ID would do just fine.. haha.

the essence of marketing is the same in all field work, it's the art of selling (your product, your service, yourself, etc..). the point is to show your strongside and hide your weakside. be nore specific just like i wrote above, for example.. client will tend to choose candidate from their portofolio, and they will choose candidate who has specific field of expertise that they needed.
like if a client have a job to translating mechanical document, such as train manual. they will choose candidate who have specialty in mechanical translating and/or have had mechanical translation job done.
(last project i have is translating ex-japan train *which now had arrived balai yasa manggarai, i don't know why they choose me, but i guess they choose me since i have experience in translating heavy equipment and factory machine on my portofolio).

*back to blog, look for inspiration*...
ilsudahsembuh - 27/09/2011 03:39 PM

hello friends,
let me introduce my self, i am an english department student.
i have an assignment from my lecturer to collect data about adaptation technique of translation..
probably, anyone could help me?
google didn't help me with those material..
thanks
Ambrosiana - 27/09/2011 07:40 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By ilsudahsembuh
hello friends,
let me introduce my self, i am an english department student.
i have an assignment from my lecturer to collect data about adaptation technique of translation..
probably, anyone could help me?
google didn't help me with those material..
thanks

Well, I have a book that might able to help you. It's "Pedoman bagi Penerjemah - Panduan Lengkap bagi Anda yang ingin Menjadi Penerjemah Profesional" written by Rochayah Machali, published by Kaifa on 2009. There's an adaptation matter discussed on the book. But I don't know exactly what you need.
Feel free to PM/VM me.
Monoxdifly - 28/09/2011 06:39 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Well, I have a book that might able to help you. It's "Pedoman bagi Penerjemah - Panduan Lengkap bagi Anda yang ingin Menjadi Penerjemah Profesional" written by Rochayah Machali, published by Kaifa on 2009. There's an adaptation matter discussed on the book. But I don't know exactly what you need.
Feel free to PM/VM me.

Hi Ambro... Long time no see...
Is there any of its PDF version? I need it so much. If there is, can you send it to me via email (again)?
Ambrosiana - 28/09/2011 08:05 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly
Hi Ambro... Long time no see...
Is there any of its PDF version? I need it so much. If there is, can you send it to me via email (again)?

Unfortunately no. hammer:
The book is suggested by Sofia Mansoor, the founder of Bahtera milis when I asked her what book could I learn about translation D
Unfortunately it's also difficult to find it on Gramedia. One member of Bahtera borrowed me her book, then I made a copy of it p
HE.nyitnyit.net - 29/09/2011 06:00 AM

i remember this book, with red cover....
Ambrosiana - 29/09/2011 09:46 AM

Quote:
i remember this book, with red cover....

Yup. Definitely correct
Mrs. Rochayah Machali has just gone back (again) to Australia after the HPI's workshop on August
jchristie - 30/09/2011 09:11 AM

I hope this is the right thread to say:

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL TRANSLATION DAY !!!

:selamat
Page 17 of 36 | ‹ First  < 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)