ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 22 of 36 | ‹ First  < 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 >  Last ›

searchmeggy - 16/11/2011 08:30 PM

Tanya donk.. Kalo nerjemahin halaman website itu bayarannya gimana ya? Website-nya mengenai profil perusahaan (CV). Makasih banyak.. \)b
l08l - 17/11/2011 01:11 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By searchmeggy
Tanya donk.. Kalo nerjemahin halaman website itu bayarannya gimana ya? Website-nya mengenai profil perusahaan (CV). Makasih banyak.. \)b

tergantung.
Outputnya apa? file word processor atau berupa halaman web juga?

yang gampang sih hitung per kata, bisa per kata teks asal atau per kata teks terjemahan. Biasanya sih per kata teks asal.

Untuk hitungnya tinggal dicopy-paste ke ms-word atau program sejenis, terus aktifkan menu hitung kata (word count).

Kalau hitung per kata teks asal bagusnya bisa langsung tahu biaya totalnya berapa. Kalau hitung per kata teks terjemahan atau per halaman terjemahan, ga bisa tahu biaya total di awal.
FrozenFlame - 17/11/2011 01:19 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By therealagashi
There's no need for (s) if you're asking with "will" \)

Thanks for the correction brader shakehand, D, becomes a habit adding (s) correcting mistakes tee-hee.:addfriends

Quote:

If you're professional and confident, you can charge per word ( trusted and recommended ).

Though usually, for beginner translator, it's safer to choose 'charge per page' ( not really recommended since you'll be disadvantaged )
searchmeggy - 17/11/2011 03:49 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By l08l
tergantung.
Outputnya apa? file word processor atau berupa halaman web juga?

yang gampang sih hitung per kata, bisa per kata teks asal atau per kata teks terjemahan. Biasanya sih per kata teks asal.

Untuk hitungnya tinggal dicopy-paste ke ms-word atau program sejenis, terus aktifkan menu hitung kata (word count).

Kalau hitung per kata teks asal bagusnya bisa langsung tahu biaya totalnya berapa. Kalau hitung per kata teks terjemahan atau per halaman terjemahan, ga bisa tahu biaya total di awal.

Outputnya berupa halaman web. Biasanya per kata teks gitu dikenakan tarif berapa ya?
searchmeggy - 17/11/2011 03:54 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By FrozenFlame
Thanks for the correction brader shakehand, D, becomes a habit adding (s) correcting mistakes tee-hee.:addfriends

If you're professional and confident, you can charge per word ( trusted and recommended ).

Though usually, for beginner translator, it's safer to choose 'charge per page' ( not really recommended since you'll be disadvantaged )

hmm.. bingung
Since I'm a beginner, how much I should charge per word?
Redeyedloner - 17/11/2011 05:42 PM

wanna ask for someone like me that's still in Middle school is there a chance to do some translating for something?
l08l - 17/11/2011 09:46 PM

Quote:
hmm.. bingung
Since I'm a beginner, how much I should charge per word?

Like a doctor, lawyer, or auto-repair-man, the rate should depends on how difficult the text is, how fast the client wants the project to be done. You should also consider your qualification and skill, and how fast you can translate and type.

You can check other translators' rate, local minimum wages (for local client's project), check how fast you can type a page of 300 words.

I used to do a simple research about this:

The range for international clients: from USD0.01 - USD2.00/word of original text.

The range for local clients: from Rp. 5.000,- - Rp. 100.000,- per translation pages. (but please note that each translator has their own specification of translation page such as: the upper-bottom-left-right margins, font size, space, and font type).

Also note that some translators with cheap rate provide low quality translations. Some even dare to provide translation services only by means of machine translation.

What I always did is: ask the client to provide me the whole/part of the text to be translated so that I can review the difficulty.

I will try to translate up to 1-2 pages translation while keeping up with the time, therefore I could estimate the length of time needed for me to complete the project, and how much should I charge for the translation as I have also decided how much money I want to be paid for an hour translating.

Quote:
Original Posted By Redeyedloner
wanna ask for someone like me that's still in Middle school is there a chance to do some translating for something?

There is, and there will always be a chance. You just have to contemplate whether you are quite competent to translate, and look for the chance. First, ask for others' opinion about your skill.
jaya28inside - 18/11/2011 07:50 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By l08l
Like a doctor, lawyer, or auto-repair-man, the rate should depends on how difficult the text is, how fast the client wants the project to be done. You should also consider your qualification and skill, and how fast you can translate and type.

You can check other translators' rate, local minimum wages (for local client's project), check how fast you can type a page of 300 words.

I used to do a simple research about this:

The range for international clients: from USD0.01 - USD2.00/word of original text.

The range for local clients: from Rp. 5.000,- - Rp. 100.000,- per translation pages. (but please note that each translator has their own specification of translation page such as: the upper-bottom-left-right margins, font size, space, and font type).

Also note that some translators with cheap rate provide low quality translations. Some even dare to provide translation services only by means of machine translation.

What I always did is: ask the client to provide me the whole/part of the text to be translated so that I can review the difficulty.

I will try to translate up to 1-2 pages translation while keeping up with the time, therefore I could estimate the length of time needed for me to complete the project, and how much should I charge for the translation as I have also decided how much money I want to be paid for an hour translating.

There is, and there will always be a chance. You just have to contemplate whether you are quite competent to translate, and look for the chance. First, ask for others' opinion about your skill.

very useful tips.... bro
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
I juz wondering... bcoz I;m still new in bandung,
is there any kind of english club who deals with translation works like this?
yiling - 18/11/2011 10:33 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]
Every translators may join D
There are some requirements you have to fulfill.

You have to send the application form with the example of your translation works (in files through email) also some certificates, etc which support your status as translator.
Then the organization would decide whether you may join or not.
I think you have so many experiences, so it will be good to join, Sis.

There's a membership cost IDR 200.000 which paid annually.

Thanks for the explanation \)
I still have to work hard to be a member of HPI. Hehe
Redeyedloner - 26/11/2011 05:28 PM

Btw i'm currently intrested in translating but i just wanna ask will it crash with my school work?
Ambrosiana - 26/11/2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Btw i'm currently intrested in translating but i just wanna ask will it crash with my school work?

hi Red my girl,

Actually still there's a chance for you to do translation work even if you're in Middle School.
Honestly, we got some problem here in real world, related with your condition:
1. Less clients believed to a Junior High Schooler. Although I can say your English is excellent, it's difficult to convince people from your position.
2. You will get so many problems related with payment procedure because of your status.

How to solve the problem?
1. You can try to be apprentice to a senior translator in your area. From my experience, they love to work with youth people with great skill as you. Mrs. Sofia Mansoor, one of the best translators in Indonesia also live in Bandung. FYI, my translator-partner is also still in college malu: [COLOR="White"]and she's cute too
2. You can try to offer your service to your closest environment, such as family and relatives. They trust you more, so it won't be any problem because of your student status

I hope that helps
Don't give up to reach your dream :thumbup

Last but not least, I truly will visit you when I go to Bandung later DDD[/COLOR]
Redeyedloner - 26/11/2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

hi Red my girl,

Actually still there's a chance for you to do translation work even if you're in Middle School.
Honestly, we got some problem here in real world, related with your condition:
1. Less clients believed to a Junior High Schooler. Although I can say your English is excellent, it's difficult to convince people from your position.
2. You will get so many problems related with payment procedure because of your status.

How to solve the problem?
1. You can try to be apprentice to a senior translator in your area. From my experience, they love to work with youth people with great skill as you. Mrs. Sofia Mansoor, one of the best translators in Indonesia also live in Bandung. FYI, my translator-partner is also still in college malu: [COLOR="White"]and she's cute too
2. You can try to offer your service to your closest environment, such as family and relatives. They trust you more, so it won't be any problem because of your student status

I hope that helps
Don't give up to reach your dream :thumbup

Last but not least, I truly will visit you when I go to Bandung later DDD[/COLOR]

Thanks for the advice sir i'll do some translating for my friends \)
I will never give up D
Btw i'll be waiting D
ryanfadholi - 27/11/2011 09:47 PM

Can i ask?

what is a good price per page, for translating to senior high schooler?
it's because i will try to translate for my friends, since i already get a reputation because i get the biggest toefl score on school malu:

also, are there any translator community in my city, Palembang? (or Sumatera D)

Thank you in advance D
Monoxdifly - 28/11/2011 12:02 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By l08l

Are there really such translators outta there? I daresay that they're prideless. I'm not being cocky to call them like that, though. I myself have so many flaws in translating. But come on, how could people who just rely on machine translation call themselves translator at all? Everyone, even a third grader can do it. So there's no point on attempting to be a translator just by relying on such machine translations.

Quote:
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]

Is it true? I know a student in my PPL place (don't know how to say that in English) whose English skill parallels mine. I didn't say that my English skill is good, though. I meant, I'm a translator myself, and he has English skill which parallels mine (so his English skill is far beyond his classmates and I know that too because I'm familiar with them). So, does he have any chance to be a translator as well?
Ambrosiana - 29/11/2011 09:20 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By ryanfadholi
Can i ask?

what is a good price per page, for translating to senior high schooler?
it's because i will try to translate for my friends, since i already get a reputation because i get the biggest toefl score on school malu:

also, are there any translator community in my city, Palembang? (or Sumatera D)

Thank you in advance D

Hmm, I think you have to consider their economic ability.
Feel free to ask the reasonable rate related with their condition.
I suggest you
Quote:

Eng >-- Ind = IDR 7.000 per page
Ind >-- Eng = IDR 10.000 per page

I know some advanced translators from Palembang, but I don't know whether there's any translator community or not D

Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly

Is it true? I know a student in my PPL place (don't know how to say that in English) whose English skill parallels mine. I didn't say that my English skill is good, though. I meant, I'm a translator myself, and he has English skill which parallels mine (so his English skill is far beyond his classmates and I know that too because I'm familiar with them). So, does he have any chance to be a translator as well?

Ow Monox, I didn't say that they don't have skill.
Even I said the same thing as you (I believe Red's English is superior for a Junior High Schooler)
In reality, I should say that people less believe to student. They tend to believe undergraduate student or professional in this field. It made the chance (for Junior High Schooler) smaller than us who are considered more mature than them.

Anyway, I want to offer a vacancy:
Quote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 2011/11/29
Subject: Review project - please circulate amongst your translators
To: "sekretariat@hpi.or.id"

Dear Sir/ Madam

I am currently looking for 5 additional Indonesian qualified translators to work alongside our existing team on an exciting review project. Please could you circulate the email below advertising our project to your professional linguists.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Jessica Fell

We are currently looking for 5 additional Indonesian linguists to join our team for a Review project. Candidates will also be added to the database to be approached for other projects if they desire.

Candidates must be experts on all linguistic matters for their mother tongue.

Requirements:
• Proven track record of high quality translation or working as a recognized linguistic resource
• At least 3 years of translation experience and some experience in localization industry
• Native Indonesian speakers fluent in English
• Passion for technology and Internet products
• Ideally, familiarity with translation tools, particularly Idiom World Server, Desktop Workbench and Google Translator Toolkit (GTT)

Task:
• Review or spot-checking of high-priority content
• Identify, suggest and maintain key quality criteria relevant to the specific language
• Perform quality assurance on linguistic assets produced by third parties
• Create and maintain linguistic references
• Perform Style Guide, Terminology and, as required, Translation Memory maintenance

We are excited about this new project and hope to hear from you. Please apply for the project via the following link to our online application form:

http://fs10.formsite.com/BodoHoenen/form36/index.html

Many thanks and kind regards,

Jessica Fell
Translation Procurement Coordinator
thebigword - Translation, Interpreting and Technology
Link Up House, Ring Road, Lower Wortley, Leeds, LS12 6AB, UK
DD: +44 (0)113 210 7170 T: +44 (0)870 748 8000 W:www.thebigword.com

As usual, please contact the email written on the text. Not me ;)
Ambrosiana - 29/11/2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

---------- Pesan terusan ----------
Dari: Panji Narendra
Tanggal: 29 November 2011 10:24
Perihal: Quotation
Ke: [email]sekretariat@hpi.or.id[/email]

Dengan Hormat,

Kami dari PT. Strategic Asia Indonesia, konsultan bisnis dan kebijakan, akan mengadakan seminar pada :
Hari / Tanggal : selasa, 06 Desember 2011
Waktu : 08.30 - 17.30
Tempat : Senggigi Beach Aerowisata Hotel
Jl. Pantai Senggigi
Lombok, Nusa Tenggara Barat

Dan kami berencana untuk menyewa seorang penerjemah untuk menerjemahkan materi seminar menggunakan sistem interpreter (alat + akomodasi kami sediakan). Oleh karena itu, kami berharap bisa mendapatkan surat penawaran dari anda untuk permintaan kami tersebut. Jika ada pertanyaan anda bisa menghubungi kami di nomor 021-3151797. Atas perhatiannya kami ucapkan terima kasih.

Salam Hormat,

Moch. Panji Arief Narendra
Finance Assistant

PT. Strategic Asia Indonesia
Graha Mandiri 28th Floor,
Jl. Imam Bonjol No. 61,
Jakarta 10310
Tel : +62213151797
Fax : +62213155712
www.strategic-asia.com

As usual, please contact the number or email written. Not me ;)
nengmemew - 01/12/2011 08:37 PM

hello everyone
I'll have interview on next monday as a subtitler
they said there will be a translation test using microsoft excel
I have never taken translation test using this excel, d u have any idea of that? thx
Ambrosiana - 01/12/2011 10:30 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By nengmemew
hello everyone
I have never taken translation test using this excel, d u have any idea of that? thx

Eeeh... I never took that test too hammer:
As far as I know, subtitler used certain program bingungs
Excel should be easier than using specific program D
Let's wait another opinion...

ngacir:
l08l - 02/12/2011 06:35 PM

Anybody know about the next sworn translator exam schedule?
tonnyc - 03/12/2011 05:58 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By nengmemew
hello everyone

Excel is not a subtitling program. I suspect that the company is simply using Excel as a word processor. I know, I know, Excel isn't a word processor, but I have seen companies using Excel for everything.

There's a very small chance that the company is using Excel to compare your answer to a predetermined list of answers. That's also not a good way of testing your capability because I think the best way of testing you is by an interview + written test by another qualified translator.

Don't worry about it much. But do let us know how it goes on Monday. Good luck.
Page 22 of 36 | ‹ First  < 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)