ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 23 of 36 | ‹ First  < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 >  Last ›

nengmemew - 03/12/2011 02:20 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Eeeh... I never took that test too hammer:
As far as I know, subtitler used certain program bingungs
Excel should be easier than using specific program D
Let's wait another opinion...

ngacir:

Quote:
Original Posted By tonnyc
Excel is not a subtitling program. I suspect that the company is simply using Excel as a word processor. I know, I know, Excel isn't a word processor, but I have seen companies using Excel for everything.

There's a very small chance that the company is using Excel to compare your answer to a predetermined list of answers. That's also not a good way of testing your capability because I think the best way of testing you is by an interview + written test by another qualified translator.

Don't worry about it much. But do let us know how it goes on Monday. Good luck.

thanks for all the answers, I'll update u on Monday \)
nengmemew - 06/12/2011 11:33 AM

Hi guys, yesterday they didn't give me the test
I just being interviewed about the job description until the salary negotiation
they offered me another job division besides subtitler, its synopsis translator..
well, the job description is simple, to translate synopsis with deadline per 25th per month
the final decision is in general manager hands, so now I'm waiting for the last call,,
wish me luck guys! D
greenish.geekz - 07/12/2011 09:39 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By nengmemew
Hi guys, yesterday they didn't give me the test
I just being interviewed about the job description until the salary negotiation
they offered me another job division besides subtitler, its synopsis translator..
well, the job description is simple, to translate synopsis with deadline per 25th per month
the final decision is in general manager hands, so now I'm waiting for the last call,,
wish me luck guys! D

wishing you all the best ....

may i ask u??? do you enjoy the job u do now???
it seems so comfortable to u ...
hehehehehehe
Ambrosiana - 08/12/2011 09:15 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By greenish.geekz
wishing you all the best ....

may i ask u??? do you enjoy the job u do now???
it seems so comfortable to u ...
hehehehehehe

Aah... If the question is for all translators here, I think I enjoy it How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

It's fun for me translating in home. I can manage my own time, and the money is also good. Even for moderate level translator like me. I've met some first class translators, and they live well by translating D
I mean they have houses, cars, and worth time to spend with family. All from translating D
themanchu - 08/12/2011 05:57 PM

gans and sist..I'd like to ask you something. Which position is "higher": a translator or editor? Because I once applied as a translator in a well known publishing house, and then they didn't satisfy with my portfolio (what should I call it? it was like, they give me a material to be translated then I translate it to Bahasa Indonesia). So I was rejected. \( But then I wonder if I can be considered as an editor, but I don't know if I'd be accepted or not since they thought I wasn't suitable as a translator. You know what I mean, no? D
Baterism - 08/12/2011 07:18 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By themanchu
gans and sist..I'd like to ask you something. Which position is "higher": a translator or editor? Because I once applied as a translator in a well known publishing house, and then they didn't satisfy with my portfolio (what should I call it? it was like, they give me a material to be translated then I translate it to Bahasa Indonesia). So I was rejected. \( But then I wonder if I can be considered as an editor, but I don't know if I'd be accepted or not since they thought I wasn't suitable as a translator. You know what I mean, no? D

I think editor is in higher position since editor's job is to check the work of the translator.
themanchu - 09/12/2011 10:41 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Baterism
I think editor is in higher position since editor's job is to check the work of the translator.

You mean the editor is in higher position than the translator, IF the editor's job is editing a translated works? Oh, I get it. I was just curious because my friend who has a lower English skill than me* has hired as an editor. So then I was assumed that translator position is higher than editor. Well yesterday I was told that she's an ordinary fiction books editor, not a TRANSLATED fiction books. malus My assumption is wrong then. malus

*I'm not being arrogant here, uhm dunno how to say it properly. My English skill isn't good either hammer:
Baterism - 09/12/2011 08:14 PM

Quote:
You mean the editor is in higher position than the translator, IF the editor's job is editing a translated works? Oh, I get it. I was just curious because my friend who has a lower English skill than me* has hired as an editor. So then I was assumed that translator position is higher than editor. Well yesterday I was told that she's an ordinary fiction books editor, not a TRANSLATED fiction books. malus My assumption is wrong then. malus

*I'm not being arrogant here, uhm dunno how to say it properly. My English skill isn't good either hammer:

Do you mean fiction book which written in Indonesian? I also have friend that do that kind of job. He said that his jobs are only correcting misspelled words and punctuation. I guess English skill is not needed in that job.
laura.jelek - 10/12/2011 08:31 AM

Great thread, sis ana peluk
I am so proud of you
Really helpful for people who wants to be translator
Monoxdifly - 10/12/2011 10:31 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By laura.jelek
I am so proud of you

Just to inform you that Ambrosiana is actually male.
p1nk3d_books - 10/12/2011 01:44 PM

Quote:
I am so proud of you

Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly

She knows, she was just teasing her... woops shutup: I mean him p
themanchu - 10/12/2011 01:57 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Baterism
Do you mean fiction book which written in Indonesian? I also have friend that do that kind of job. He said that his jobs are only correcting misspelled words and punctuation. I guess English skill is not needed in that job.

Yes that's what exactly I mean. malus

Anyway, does anyone here have advice for what should I put or emphasize in my CV for applying as a translator? Is TOEFL score counted as the most important stuff? I used to put my general CV to apply for every kind of job but I think that wouldn't be wise since my certificates (and anything like that) are mainly from a scientific seminar and so.

Thanks in advance Yb

*did I ask a lame question? D
jaya28inside - 11/12/2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Anyway, does anyone here have advice for what should I put or emphasize in my CV for applying as a translator? Is TOEFL score counted as the most important stuff? I used to put my general CV to apply for every kind of job but I think that wouldn't be wise since my certificates (and anything like that) are mainly from a scientific seminar and so.

Thanks in advance Yb

waw... u guys already discussing about the job again... lol
anyway it's been awhile for me being out of this thread....
i should active more, tough.

I'm not sure the details but surely they (employee) would love
to see the applicants with a lot of experiences, valuable experiences, i mean.
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

CMIIW
Ambrosiana - 13/12/2011 07:46 PM

Quote:
I am so proud of you

Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
She knows, she was just teasing her... woops shutup: I mean him p

Yes, Laura knows nohope:
She's enjoying terrorizing me nohope:
Quote:

Thanks in advance Yb

Quote:
Original Posted By jaya28inside
waw... u guys already discussing about the job again... lol
anyway it's been awhile for me being out of this thread....
i should active more, tough.

I'm not sure the details but surely they (employee) would love
to see the applicants with a lot of experiences, valuable experiences, i mean.

CMIIW

Hmmm, I agree with Jaya that experiences are more important.
I never included my TOEFL score... but that because I forgot hammer:

As far as I know, the in-house translator or publishers paid attention on two main important things: your degree and experiences.
I would put experience in the first list, since honestly, I don't have a degree hammer:
I'm a dropout from State University of Malang's English Literature Departmenthammer:
But it seems the fact didn't stop me from receiving good projects D
denaii - 14/12/2011 08:19 AM

hmm...i also agree with java..it is needed of suitable job field and ur experience before..

i think toefl score(toefl certificate) just supporting you to pass the job when suitable job and experience is passed..
laura.jelek - 14/12/2011 09:46 PM

Could i post job advert here?
If i couldn't, just delete this post

Urgently needed, Freelance translators:
Translate from bahasa to English
Working from home
All material will be sent by email
Confidentiality regarding any document involved

Send your resume to [email]artha.tobing@gmail.com[/email], please write translator as its subject.
Ambrosiana - 19/12/2011 01:58 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By InRealLife
*BUKA LOWONGAN FREELANCE!

*Saya nyari penerjemah untuk proyek penerjemahan buku berbahasa Inggris ke bahasa Indonesia. Nonfiksi, biografi, Islam. Yang tertarik silakan PM ke InRealLife.

*Lowongan dibuka sampai selambat2nya 26 Des 2011. (Bisa lebih cepat ditutup kalau saya udah nemu yg cocok)--
jchristie - 31/12/2011 09:09 AM

ENGLISH FREELANCE EDITOR REQUIRED...!

Please read the forwarded message and contact the related person directly, folks. Please DO NOT reply anything related to this vacancy to me.

Spoiler for the vacancy

ISEAN-Hivos – HIV/AIDS (MARPS) Round 10
EoI Number 8: ISEAN-Hivos -GF-R10-HIV/AIDS

ISEAN-Hivos-GF-R10-HIV/AIDS –FREELANCE ENGLISH EDITOR for ISEAN-Hivos Program Management Unit under ISEAN-Hivos Program “Strengthening community systems to reduce vulnerability to and impact of HIV infection on MSM and TG in Insular Southeast Asia”

REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST

In 2010, the Insular Southeast Asian Network on MSM, TG, and HIV (ISEAN) and the Humanist Institute for Co-operation with Developing Countries (Hivos) jointly submitted a regional proposal to the Global Fund for AIDS, Malaria, and Tuberculosis (GFATM) Round 10. The programme, entitled ‘Strengthening Community Systems to Reduce Vulnerability to and Impact of HIV infection on MSM and TG in Insular Southeast Asia’, was approved by GFATM and contract for the grant was signed on 6 October, 2011. This grant has the main goal of reducing (a) the vulnerability and risks of MSM and TG to HIV infection and (b) the impact of HIV on their lives in Insular Southeast Asia. It intends to address critical gaps in supporting and scaling up activities that reduce HIV/AIDS among MSMs and TGs.

Hivos, as the Principal Recipient of the grant, is looking for a capable Freelance English Editor for the ISEAN-Hivos Program to ensure that report documents of ISEAN-Hivos Program in grammatically correct English and adequately capturing the technical messages being imparted. The Freelance English Editor to provide the following services that address the Grant’s requirements:

1. Proofread/ Edit the draft articles and documents sent by PMU Staff trough e-mail;
2. Return the corrected drafts back to PMU Staff with proper editing and adequate caption of the technical thoughts beings ascribed in the document;

Qualifications

1. Experience work in editing articles in English
2. Advance in written English is a must
3. Preferable someone with English literature background
4. Experience in NGO work focused on HIV-AIDS, experience working on MSM and TG concerns preferred

The applicants will be required to work on assignments send by email as part of the selection process. The selected Freelance English Editor for ISEAN-Hivos Program shall be engaged for under an indefinite quantity 6 months contract starting January 15, 2012 up to July 15, 2012.

An Expression of Interest (EoI) Letter, together with the applicant’s CV must be sent by January, 7, 2012 to the email addresses below at 17:00 hrs. Jakarta Western Indonesia Time.

[email]l.norella@hivos.or.id[/email]

Based on the initial set of EoIs, applicants will be formally invited for an interview. They may also be requested to provide additional documents, as needed.
Monoxdifly - 04/01/2012 05:38 PM

Btw, regarding translation world? Can I share my story here? I had an annoying experience. Some of you know that I'm not from English department on my college. Last Sunday night, my "PPL"(don't know how to say it in English)-mate sent me a message saying that I got a job from her friend, 14 pages English-Indonesian translation, the text would be given to me in Monday morning, but the deadline was Tuesday morning. And the thing that made me annoyed, was that she was (and is) from English department! (However, she had ever told me that she often translated via Google-Translate, though) Wasn't she supposed to be able to do that herself? Also, as an English department college student, she should know that 14 pages translation was too much in a less than 24 hours deadline! However, she begged me, saying that it was her friend's, and he/she had been crying because the deadline of his/her report task which needed this translation was really close, so I accepted it. The job was about government and what she referred as 14 pages was in print-out form which mean it would be more than that when it's typed in Microsoft Word. I accepted it, and did the hard-work in almost 24 hours work time. I asked Ambrosiana about three phrases I didn't know (project digest, bio-mass, & bio-diesel). Less sleeping, I just slept about 11.30 PM-00.00 AM and 01.30 AM-02.00 AM that night, and I hadn't reviewed it at all because I had no time. The next day, when she would take the translation, she sent me a message and said that the money would be paid later because her sister hadn't given her money yet (I had informed her about the fee per page). I was so annoyed and didn't want to meet her. Instead, I let her to meet my workmate. I was really, really annoyed. If you guys were me, what do you feel? A college student from English department who is supposed to be able to do the translation herself gives the translation task to you instead with the amount of pages and deadline is beyond your ability limit yet when it comes to transaction she wants to be pent?
Ambrosiana - 04/01/2012 06:56 PM

@ Monox

I often meet such fact, Monox. D
I live near one of the biggest private University in Malang, and you'll be surprised that some English Department students still come to Computer Rental (which provides translation service) to translate their study material. D
I can understand how do you feel... Moreover, you had to work hard and sleep less to finish the task (there was still additional 'critical hit' when she couldn't pay at that time p)
If you choose the path to be translator, you'll find such incident often ngakaks
So, prepare your mental. Don't let it bring you down. D
Page 23 of 36 | ‹ First  < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)