ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 24 of 36 | ‹ First  < 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >  Last ›

jchristie - 05/01/2012 12:53 AM
halooo :-)
Hi Monox, being graduated from English Letters Faculty, allow me to share some facts:

- Being a student or even graduated from English Studies (Literature, Teaching, etc.) will not guarantee that he/ she has good English.
- The same also will not guarantee his/ her ability in translation.
- Your friend was perhaps under great stress yet refused to take matters into her own hands, she should be ashamed!
- Contrary to popular belief, not all of the successful and/ or high-paid translator graduated from English Studies >- Kiki a.k.a Ambro can tell you tons of stories about this, I'm sure.
- Despite they key important role that we played as translator, in your case, a life-saving one - people still look down on us (in terms of payment mostly)
- There are growing numbers of people who rely on G Translate or any other form of translation tools, seeing it as "once I copy-paste and hit enter, all my translation problem will be taken care of, no need to proof read or edit it anymore" solution.

Oww, I also have one outstanding (I referred it that way, avoiding negative word - unpaid) fee from my last translation job on October 2011. Totaling around 1,5 million - which is A LOT for my standards. Thank God I still have my daily job...

keep translating, keep learning...!
Ambrosiana - 05/01/2012 09:32 AM

@ Jchristie : True. Many advanced translators have no English Literature background D If I'm not wrong, you also came from this group (non-English Literature Department)?

Quote:
Original Posted By miyabifreak
pm bb pin dong. mau ngobrol2 di bbm. sekalian latih inggris gua

Visit this thread, Gan.
English Forum Social Media Center (BBM Group, FB Group, Google+, and others)
jchristie - 05/01/2012 11:16 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"] @ Jchristie : True. Many advanced translators have no English Literature background D If I'm not wrong, you also came from this group (non-English Literature Department)?

Err, actually . . .

I graduated from Sanata Dharma University, English Letters Department a.k.a Fakultas Sastra Inggris. However, since I graduated I never worked in the 'traditional' English Studies - related works (e.g. English Lecturer/ private trainer, translator/ interpreter) >--- which is still surprising to some people.

I only work as translator and/ or interpreter to make side money, the very reason why I feel so low when Sire Ambro asked me to be an activist on this thread . . .
Monoxdifly - 05/01/2012 04:52 PM

Quote:
@ Monox

I often meet such fact, Monox. D
I live near one of the biggest private University in Malang, and you'll be surprised that some English Department students still come to Computer Rental (which provides translation service) to translate their study material. D
I can understand how do you feel... Moreover, you had to work hard and sleep less to finish the task (there was still additional 'critical hit' when she couldn't pay at that time p)
If you choose the path to be translator, you'll find such incident often ngakaks
So, prepare your mental. Don't let it bring you down. D

Khihihi48x... I remember back then, when there was an English department student came to my workplace to print her thesis. As an English department student, her thesis was obviously full-English. However, when I read those pages, I saw that the writing wad very ruined in terms of both grammar and structure. Then I asked her if she was using Google Translate to translate her thesis. And she answered that it was indeed right. =_="

Quote:
Original Posted By jchristie
Hi Monox, being graduated from English Letters Faculty, allow me to share some facts:

- Being a student or even graduated from English Studies (Literature, Teaching, etc.) will not guarantee that he/ she has good English.
- The same also will not guarantee his/ her ability in translation.
- Your friend was perhaps under great stress yet refused to take matters into her own hands, she should be ashamed!
- Contrary to popular belief, not all of the successful and/ or high-paid translator graduated from English Studies >- Kiki a.k.a Ambro can tell you tons of stories about this, I'm sure.
- Despite they key important role that we played as translator, in your case, a life-saving one - people still look down on us (in terms of payment mostly)
- There are growing numbers of people who rely on G Translate or any other form of translation tools, seeing it as "once I copy-paste and hit enter, all my translation problem will be taken care of, no need to proof read or edit it anymore" solution.

Oww, I also have one outstanding (I referred it that way, avoiding negative word - unpaid) fee from my last translation job on October 2011. Totaling around 1,5 million - which is A LOT for my standards. Thank God I still have my daily job...

keep translating, keep learning...!

I remembered when I was undergoing "PPL" (anyone, could you translate this abbreviation to English, please?), 2 out of 7 of my fellow-practician who were from English department even asked me to teach them before they taught their students... =_=" And my other fellow-practician trusted me about English & translation things more than they did with those from English department, and due to that, 5 of 7 practician who were from English department (including those 2 mentioned before & the one who gave me translation job this week) had a grudge with me due to envy (or at least, that's what I think).

Quote:
@ Jchristie : True. Many advanced translators have no English Literature background D If I'm not wrong, you also came from this group (non-English Literature Department)?

And how about you, bro?
Ambrosiana - 05/01/2012 06:22 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly
Khihihi48x... I remember back then, when there was an English department student came to my workplace to print her thesis. As an English department student, her thesis was obviously full-English. However, when I read those pages, I saw that the writing wad very ruined in terms of both grammar and structure. Then I asked her if she was using Google Translate to translate her thesis. And she answered that it was indeed right. =_="

That sucks cd

Quote:

And how about you, bro?

Honestly, I was drop-out from English Literature Department.
It's like a miracle I can successfully being Translator. D
Baterism - 05/01/2012 08:41 PM

Well, as an English Department student in a private university in Jakarta, I fully aware that not all English Department student is competent or even care about English. That's true and really shame, but please don't overlook the fact that they only take a small portion of the English Department student.

Taking English Language as a major is quite problematic in my opinion because English could be considered as a very general language that every person who has pass high school could use. Therefore, compared to another language students, they got more competition and more critics from public outside the major.

I'm not going to defend some irresponsible students. My point is please don't look down to English Department students as general just because the act of some unaccountable students.

Have a nice day!iloveindonesias
deepoceanblue - 06/01/2012 10:51 AM

Quote:
Btw, regarding translation world? Can I share my story here? I had an annoying experience. Some of you know that I'm not from English department on my college. Last Sunday night, my "PPL"(don't know how to say it in English)-mate sent me a message saying that I got a job from her friend, 14 pages English-Indonesian translation, the text would be given to me in Monday morning, but the deadline was Tuesday morning. And the thing that made me annoyed, was that she was (and is) from English department! (However, she had ever told me that she often translated via Google-Translate, though) Wasn't she supposed to be able to do that herself? Also, as an English department college student, she should know that 14 pages translation was too much in a less than 24 hours deadline!

actually, in my old translator office, the target for each translator was 10 pages (or 4000 words) per 8 hours... and another 2 hours for editing afterwards \)
you might want to keep that target in hand if you want to make a career out of this \)
Monoxdifly - 06/01/2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

That sucks cd

Indeed. p

Quote:
Original Posted By Baterism
Well, as an English Department student in a private university in Jakarta, I fully aware that not all English Department student is competent or even care about English. That's true and really shame, but please don't overlook the fact that they only take a small portion of the English Department student.

Taking English Language as a major is quite problematic in my opinion because English could be considered as a very general language that every person who has pass high school could use. Therefore, compared to another language students, they got more competition and more critics from public outside the major.

I'm not going to defend some irresponsible students. My point is please don't look down to English Department students as general just because the act of some unaccountable students.

Have a nice day!iloveindonesias

I know that it's not ALL, but MOST of them in my college. My sister is also from English department in different college, and the quality of this department's students is very good compared to the one in my campus.

Quote:
Original Posted By deepoceanblue
actually, in my old translator office, the target for each translator was 10 pages (or 4000 words) per 8 hours... and another 2 hours for editing afterwards \)
you might want to keep that target in hand if you want to make a career out of this \)

Well, the matter is, I'm not working in a translation agency. It's just a computer rental which provides translation service. So, when translating, I'm often interrupted by other customers who have different business like printing, scanning, etc. And I'm also not a full-time translator, not to mention my college tasks.
Ezza02 - 08/01/2012 06:08 PM

Hello bro, I am a junior here.
but I have an experience, maybe the first time being a translator, that is translating my Math's Teacher thesis,\( that so damn difficult.bingungs
but fortunately I make it on time, 2 books for 2 days!!!berbusa:
I've read the long explanation given here, nice tough. thumbup: thumbup:
Thanks bro \)
Ezza02 - 08/01/2012 06:14 PM

wow, it seems many people rarely come here for discussing something. it's figured, since this is not a lounge, heheheheh
Ambrosiana - 08/01/2012 06:39 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ezza02
Hello bro, I am a junior here.
but I have an experience, maybe the first time being a translator, that is translating my Math's Teacher thesis,\( that so damn difficult.bingungs
but fortunately I make it on time, 2 books for 2 days!!!berbusa:
I've read the long explanation given here, nice tough. thumbup: thumbup:
Thanks bro \)

Quote:
Original Posted By Ezza02
wow, it seems many people rarely come here for discussing something. it's figured, since this is not a lounge, heheheheh

Just one word. Amazing thumbup:
FYI, I've just rejected an 36 pages Englineering translation project (because of so many equation) and the client need it ASAP.
I think numbers and equation confused me.
That's why I admire you for finishing the project so fast thumbup:
Ezza02 - 08/01/2012 07:45 PM

hhihihi thanks malu:

and just share my thought, I received an sms wrote that :
"thanks reza, I got IPK of 3,8 predicated cum laude. thanks for your help, may god bless you, and later maybe I will go back to you for some helps"

than the tears flowing down.... matabelo:

so sweet ya gan.... hikssss D D
jchristie - 09/01/2012 07:47 AM
[Vacancy] PART TIME English Translator
Just passing an information, Folks . . .
=========================================================

PART TIME TRANSLATOR – ENGLISH
AT AUSTRALIAN ELECTORAL COMMISSION, INDONESIA COUNTRY OFFICE

Application Deadline: Midnight, Sunday, 22 January 2012
Language Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: 3 – 6 months with possibility of extension

THE ORGANISATION: AUSTRALIAN ELECTORAL COMMISSION

The Australian Electoral Commission, or the AEC, is the federal government agency in charge of organising and supervising federal elections and referendums in Australia. The AEC was first established in 1902, as a branch of the Department of Home Affairs. In 1973 it became the Australian Electoral Office, a name it retained until 21 February 1984 when it became the Australian Electoral Commission, a Commonwealth statutory authority.

Under the Australia Indonesia Electoral Support Program, AEC Indonesia's main mission is to provide assistance to and build capacity within the Indonesian Electoral Commission (KPU). The program is funded by Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) and is expected to run from 2011-2015.

THE POSITION: PART TIME TRANSLATOR - ENGLISH

The Roles and Responsibilities
· Under the direct supervision of AEC Program Officer, the translator (English) will translate properly documents, primarily from English language into Indonesian language or vice versa, ensuring the highest standard of accuracy, and maintaining the spirit, context, quality, technical language and nuances of the original version, using precise, clear and proper terminology;

To do this work, the Translator shall:
[LIST]
· Check appropriate references to ensure exact understanding and use of the related technical terminologies, in particular political and/or electoral terms
· Consult colleagues and specialized technical dictionaries/glossaries, other related sources
· Keep abreast with developments in the language field, both in the source and target languages, by compiling and regularly updating specific terminologies, phrases, lexicons, acronyms and special expressions in order to widen the stock of vocabulary with the aim of enhancing skills and ability
· Help develop terminology/lexicons related to the work subject
· Provide consecutive interpretation, when required, during meetings, discussions, etc
· Perform any other duty as may be signed

Essential Criteria:
· A minimum is a final year university student in Languages, International Relations, Political Science or related discipline
· An excellent command of the English and Indonesian languages
· Demonstrated ability to work well within a team environment
· Concentration, accuracy, and working under minimum supervision
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to organize and work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment
· Computer literacy

Desirable Criteria:
· Demonstrated relevant experience in translation. Experience
in working with social and politics documents is highly desirable

HOW TO APPLY
Submit Job Application by Midnight, Sunday, 22 January 2012. Your application for the job should include your Resume or CV. You should
email the document to [email]info@aecindonesia.org[/email] . Please include Part Time Translator in
the email subject field.

If you are short listed, AEC will contact you and provide you with full
information on what date and where you need to attend test and interview. Due to the volume of applications normally received, AEC does not notify applicants who have not been shortlisted or respond to any correspondent enquiring about it.

AEC will only process the applications that are sent through
[email]info@aecindonesia.org[/email]

=========================================================

Life often taking shots at you, hit back once in a while...!
finvayu - 10/01/2012 07:52 PM
need suggestion
Hello,

I've just started translating articels and papers in mid 2011, so it's really nice to find this thread with many pro translators sharing their pov \)b

I always have this interest in language--English especially, thus I am enjoying my work so much I don't mind being paid 'only' 5.000/page since I thought of this translating mainly as a way to learn English rather than a mere job. My clients are mostly college friends and relatives, so they appreciate this condition. A friend suggested that I should advertise myself in an English forum which is open to my condition as a newbie translator. I am eager to do more translating (and learning Yb), but I don't know any forum that would let me do so.

Any suggestion?

ps: I don't know how good I am in translating, so here's some info that might help. I am currently graduated from State College of Accountancy (Sekolah Tinggi Akuntansi Negara--STAN). Beside translating, I often work freelance as an English teacher for high schoolers. I also spent my college years as an editor for campus' magazine. Never took TOEFL, but when I was in International Relationship (Hubungan Internasional) of UGM, I was obligated to take some kind of TOEFL-like and scored 518. I was in exchange program to USA in 2006--2007 which, pretty much formed my English.

Thanks heaps for helping! (and maintaining such an informative thread :2thumbup )
Ambrosiana - 11/01/2012 07:07 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By finvayu
Hello,

I've just started translating articels and papers in mid 2011, so it's really nice to find this thread with many pro translators sharing their pov \)bs

I always have this interest in language--English especially, thus I am enjoying my work so much I don't mind being paid 'only' 5.000/page since I thought of this translating mainly as a way to learn English rather than a mere job. My clients are mostly college friends and relatives, so they appreciate this condition. A friend suggested that I should advertise myself in an English forum which is open to my condition as a newbie translator. I am eager to do more translating (and learning Yb), but I don't know any forum that would let me do so.

Any suggestion?

ps: I don't know how good I am in translating, so here's some info that might help. I am currently graduated from State College of Accountancy (Sekolah Tinggi Akuntansi Negara--STAN). Beside translating, I often work freelance as an English teacher for high schoolers. I also spent my college years as an editor for campus' magazine. Never took TOEFL, but when I was in International Relationship (Hubungan Internasional) of UGM, I was obligated to take some kind of TOEFL-like and scored 518. I was in exchange program to USA in 2006--2007 which, pretty much formed my English.

Thanks heaps for helping! (and maintaining such an informative thread :2thumbup )

Hi finvayu,
It's great that you have started. The most difficult thing to start is: finding customers as you do. About rate, don't worry, I myself started from much lower rate in 2002 hammer:
Many advanced translators I know have similar experience.
I suggest you to join some translators community, so you'll get more information about projects, tools we need as translators, and also tips how to deal with customer.

[1] Join Bahtera mailing list. You can find the information in www.bahtera.org. Bahtera is language lover and also translator - interpreter community which has the largest network in Indonesia. You'll get many benefits from joining this list. But you should prepare, your email address (you used to join) will be filled by mails - about 20-50 emails per day.

[2] Join Association of Indonesian translators (Himpunan Penerjemah Indonesia - HPI). It's a formal organization of translator. By joining this organization, you'll get more information about how to develop your career as translator, also chance to get certificate (such as Sworn Translator, etc)

[3] Join some translators guild sites. The site like ProZ and TranslatorsCafe are worth to be joined. However, to face competition here, it would be good if you previously have provided yourself with long portfolios list and also skill in using CAT Tools. There are many projects offered in this sites, with CAT Tools mastery as requirement.

[4] Building relations with more translators. Kaskus is not bad way to start. I myself get much from Kaskus. However, since there are so many anonymous here, I think you'll develop faster and better by using outside channels I mentioned above. D

If you have any question related with translation world, feel free to PM / VM me in personal. I would love to answer it. or you may send email to [email]sid.ambrosiana@yahoo.co.id[/email].
As a gift, I also have some tips given by Mr. Eddie R. Notowidigdo, Chief of HPI in powerpoint file. If you're interesting to have it, PM me your email address, and I will send it to you. D
Ambrosiana - 11/01/2012 07:08 AM

Quote:
Hello,

I've just started translating articels and papers in mid 2011, so it's really nice to find this thread with many pro translators sharing their pov \)bs

Any suggestion?

Hi finvayu,
It's great that you have started. The most difficult thing to start is: finding customers as you do. About rate, don't worry, I myself started from much lower rate in 2002 hammer:
Many advanced translators I know have similar experience.
I suggest you to join some translators community, so you'll get more information about projects, tools we need as translators, and also tips how to deal with customer.

[1] Join Bahtera mailing list. You can find the information in www.bahtera.org. Bahtera is language lover and also translator - interpreter community which has the largest network in Indonesia. You'll get many benefits from joining this list. But you should prepare, your email address (you used to join) will be filled by mails - about 20-50 emails per day.

[2] Join Association of Indonesian translators (Himpunan Penerjemah Indonesia - HPI). It's a formal organization of translator. By joining this organization, you'll get more information about how to develop your career as translator, also chance to get certificate (such as Sworn Translator, etc)

[3] Join some translators guild sites. The site like ProZ and TranslatorsCafe are worth to be joined. However, to face competition here, it would be good if you previously have provided yourself with long portfolios list and also skill in using CAT Tools. There are many projects offered in this sites, with CAT Tools mastery as requirement.

[4] Building relations with more translators. Kaskus is not bad way to start. I myself get much from Kaskus. However, since there are so many anonymous here, I think you'll develop faster and better by using outside channels I mentioned above. D

If you have any question related with translation world, feel free to PM / VM me in personal. I would love to answer it. or you may send email to [email]sid.ambrosiana@yahoo.co.id[/email].
As a gift, I also have some tips given by Mr. Eddie R. Notowidigdo, Chief of HPI in powerpoint file. If you're interesting to have it, PM me your email address, and I will send it to you. D
Monoxdifly - 11/01/2012 06:36 PM

Quote:
thus I am enjoying my work so much I don't mind being paid 'only' 5.000/page

It's okay. I even get lower than you. 3,500 IDR since I share the other 3,500 IDR for my boss who is the rental's owner.
Baterism - 11/01/2012 09:30 PM

Quote:
Hello,

I've just started translating articels and papers in mid 2011, so it's really nice to find this thread with many pro translators sharing their pov \)b

Any suggestion?

You graduated from STAN, had exchange program experience in USA, studied international relationship in UGM, yet you want to become a translator? mind-boggling.

I don't mean to question your choice really. I know that translation world has good prospect, but don't you value yourself little bit too cheap? I mean I better went to UI translation course rather than taking Rp.5000/page fee presuming you could afford that.

Once again I don't try to question your choice nor I take translation world lightly.

btw, nice to meet you.iloveindonesias
finvayu - 12/01/2012 09:00 PM

Quote:
It's okay. I even get lower than you. 3,500 IDR since I share the other 3,500 IDR for my boss who is the rental's owner.

Well, glad to know I'm going the right path with my fee, ahaha Yb

Quote:
Original Posted By Baterism
You graduated from STAN, had exchange program experience in USA, studied international relationship in UGM, yet you want to become a translator? mind-boggling.

Really? Maybe it's just me being simple-minded, as how I took STAN (and let go that HI UGM...bummer) simply because STAN is free D
Translating is enjoyable, while ended up as a taxman for a lifetime is..obviously not that much fun. So being a translator is something considerable for the upcoming future.
Afterall, sometimes we don't have reasons to do things we like, do we? \) Nice to meet you too~
Baterism - 12/01/2012 11:28 PM

Quote:
Well, glad to know I'm going the right path with my fee, ahaha Yb

Really? Maybe it's just me being simple-minded, as how I took STAN (and let go that HI UGM...bummer) simply because STAN is free D
Translating is enjoyable, while ended up as a taxman for a lifetime is..obviously not that much fun. So being a translator is something considerable for the upcoming future.
Afterall, sometimes we don't have reasons to do things we like, do we? \) Nice to meet you too~

Thats something I like to hear beer:. It is no fun living in the straight line. Not many people willing to take the courage.

Personally, I also have a mindset like that. I study English Literature, but my day is filled with animation and computer stuff.
Nobody know what tomorrow hold. So, it is better to do what we like now rather than regreting why we didn't do that latter.
Page 24 of 36 | ‹ First  < 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)