ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 28 of 36 | ‹ First  < 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 >  Last ›

jchristie - 14/03/2012 08:09 PM
[INFO] Vacancy as Interpreter/ Translator
Vacancies : (BB3) - Locally Engaged Staff - Interpreter/Translator - AID-EID Program - DAFF

Applications are invited for the above position in the DAFF section of the Australian Embassy, Jakarta. The position is a full-time position, on a fixed-term contract, with an immediate commencement date required.

The duties of the position and selection criteria are listed below. The successful applicant will meet the selection criteria as detailed below. Applicants should ensure their application includes comments on how they meet each of the selection criteria and should be no longer that three (3) typed A4 pages. Applicants should also include a copy of their curriculum vitae (resume), and details of two referees who may be contacted if necessary. Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered for interview.

A monthly salary of IDR 9,436,533, which includes 15 % loading in lieu of paid leave and Lebaran bonus, will be offered to the successful applicant dependent upon qualifications, relevant experience and demonstrated skills.

Applications should be directed to Mr Yulius Siahaan, Training and Recruitment Officer at the following email address: [email]jakartajobapplications@dfat.gov.au[/email] with subject: Program Translator/Interpreter - AIP-EID Program DAFF before close of business 16.00 hours on 21 March 2012. Please note that no phone call inquiries will be taken and only short-listed applicants will be notified.

More info here, folks :
http://www.indonesia.embassy.gov.au/jakt/JV_EID-DAFF.html
tonnyc - 14/03/2012 08:34 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
A friend of mine needs some help to translate some kind of manual, I was considering it when I saw the amount of pages!! The deadline is FRIDAY, kaskusers! If you are willing to, pls PM me ASAP!
To give you a bit of visualization on what the translation's about, I gave you several pics:

Pink, tell your friend that is impossible. Sorry. Not only it's long, but since it's a technical document, it's not easy to translate. Realistically, it will take at least 2 months to translate. If there's a team working on it, with the help of translation memory software, I guess it's possible to cut it down to 2 and half weeks, but the amount of money involved in setting such a group up will be expensive.
p1nk3d_books - 14/03/2012 08:37 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By tonnyc

Pink, tell your friend that is impossible. Sorry. Not only it's long, but since it's a technical document, it's not easy to translate. Realistically, it will take at least 2 months to translate. If there's a team working on it, with the help of translation memory software, I guess it's possible to cut it down to 2 and half weeks, but the amount of money involved in setting such a group up will be expensive.

Yes, yes, I think so too. Thank you for pointing that out, Tonny. I actually have no idea what the insides will be about, LOL D
tonnyc - 14/03/2012 08:59 PM

Well, judging from pictures you posted, it's a manual for running an entire factory. By the way, after Friday you should take down the pictures because that document says it's confidential and while there isn't enough info there to mean anything, I don't want your friend to get into trouble with her boss.

Anyway, if we give a 500 page A4 book to a typist and tell him/her to type that into a Word file, it will take her, what, a week? Translating takes much longer than typing.

Out of curiousity, does anyone here use translation memory software? If yes, which? How hard is it to use?
amoeck - 14/03/2012 09:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, yes, I think so too. Thank you for pointing that out, Tonny. I actually have no idea what the insides will be about, LOL D

Yes, we should be realistic because we are not machine...contact me if you have the extension of time. I might be able to help you working together...If I don't have other deadlines to catch, 100 pages a week will be okay for me.
p1nk3d_books - 14/03/2012 10:11 PM

Quote:
Well, judging from pictures you posted, it's a manual for running an entire factory. By the way, after Friday you should take down the pictures because that document says it's confidential and while there isn't enough info there to mean anything, I don't want your friend to get into trouble with her boss.

Anyway, if we give a 500 page A4 book to a typist and tell him/her to type that into a Word file, it will take her, what, a week? Translating takes much longer than typing.

Out of curiousity, does anyone here use translation memory software? If yes, which? How hard is it to use?

Oh? I see, I'll take it down then \)
Actually, I rarely translate 'serious' stuff because I doubt that I can write as formal as possible. This is what chicklits do to you!! >.<

At the first pages I think Ambrosiana has ever shared the *cough* pirated *cough* one but he said we need to join special course to fully understand all the features of the translations software or otherwise it'll be no use.
Ambro said it's good to be used when you're translating something which will have a lot of repetitive sentences in it like the Undang-Undang or sth like that, but I mostly just translate fictions so I guess I don't need it that much though I believe it can help me a bit.

Quote:
Original Posted By amoeck

Yes, we should be realistic because we are not machine...contact me if you have the extension of time. I might be able to help you working together...If I don't have other deadlines to catch, 100 pages a week will be okay for me.

Whoa, 100 pages?? You are so diligent! Even with a team I won't be able to! \( I'm so lazy T__T
tonnyc - 14/03/2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Whoa. That is fast. I don't think I can work that fast. I'm like, 10 pages/day at most, and I got to take a break after a few days too, so like, 60 pages/week?
amoeck - 15/03/2012 08:45 AM

Quote:
Oh? I see, I'll take it down then \)
Actually, I rarely translate 'serious' stuff because I doubt that I can write as formal as possible. This is what chicklits do to you!! >.<

At the first pages I think Ambrosiana has ever shared the *cough* pirated *cough* one but he said we need to join special course to fully understand all the features of the translations software or otherwise it'll be no use.
Ambro said it's good to be used when you're translating something which will have a lot of repetitive sentences in it like the Undang-Undang or sth like that, but I mostly just translate fictions so I guess I don't need it that much though I believe it can help me a bit.

Whoa, 100 pages?? You are so diligent! Even with a team I won't be able to! \( I'm so lazy T__T

I mean for about 1 week bro/sis heehe....I must be diligent...that is how I support my life (and my family too)
p1nk3d_books - 15/03/2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

I mean for about 1 week bro/sis heehe....I must be diligent...that is how I support my life (and my family too)

Ya, even tho 100 pages/week that is considered a lot & fast. Kudos to you!

Oh your full-time job is translator also? Are you Ambrosiana's clone?
amoeck - 16/03/2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

No I am not a clone... I am a real person \) You can check my profile here http://www.proz...com/translator/15386...Yes, this is my fulltime job ...and I teach too a little just not to loose my speaking sense hehe...At this time of writing this, I am doing a job for a Taiwanese agent
Ambrosiana - 16/03/2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Kyaaa... kagets:
Sis P1nkie... He's not my clone \(

Anyway I won't dare to address you "bro/sis" or doubt that you're a female hammer:
Although I know the punishment for people who don't believe it *cough* seems fun *cough* I won't dare to try... ngacir:
Quote:

No I am not a clone... I am a real person \) You can check my profile here http://www.proz...com/translator/15386...Yes, this is my fulltime job ...and I teach too a little just not to loose my speaking sense hehe...At this time of writing this, I am doing a job for a Taiwanese agent

Gyaaah... I've just seen your profile. You're from Malang too kagets:
Did we meet in the last HPI Komda Jatim Gathering in Lumbung Hotel?
Sorry I didn't recognize you if you came... \(
There are so many people there \(

Spoiler for Gathering + Trados Workshop (BWK Warning)
Quote:

How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

p1nk3d_books - 16/03/2012 11:42 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Kyaaa... kagets:

Anyway I won't dare to address you "bro/sis" or doubt that you're a female hammer:
Although I know the punishment for people who don't believe it *cough* seems fun *cough* I won't dare to try... ngacir:

On a second thought, yes, I didn't pay attention he called me as 'bro/sis' hammer:
Only somehow when he mentioned that translator is his full-time job, my thought instantly goes to you D *I hope you don't pee yourself because you're too excited ngakaks*
amoeck - 17/03/2012 03:04 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Kyaaa... kagets:

Gyaaah... I've just seen your profile. You're from Malang too kagets:
Did we meet in the last HPI Komda Jatim Gathering in Lumbung Hotel?
Sorry I didn't recognize you if you came... \(
There are so many people there \(

Spoiler for Gathering + Trados Workshop (BWK Warning)

Yes I am from Malang. Unfortunately I couldn't come. I had a deadline to catch. Hopefully I can come to the next meeting in Jogja on April. It is been a long time I haven't gone to Jogja
Monoxdifly - 17/03/2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

He's right. And what annoys me about customers is that people tend to consider us work fast because they think the translations will be done by machines/computer application with accurate results. So they tend to not give any tolerate at all regarding the time it takes to get the job done. XS
KaskusCreativeI - 18/03/2012 09:50 AM

What do you Say And doing?
I dont know \(
jaya28inside - 19/03/2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

yeah, that's a lot man!
waw... he could translate 100 pages/ week.
glurp!

psiramad - 20/03/2012 10:16 AM

To be honest, I've joined at a translation agency recently. o

You would find some words or terms that have same meaning but in different context. Then you must determine yourself to become more creative, smart and independent in this business. Surely it is a challenge for me. However I'm still learning now and enjoyed this matter very much.
jchristie - 20/03/2012 10:18 AM
[TIPS] Interpreting in an Outdoor Setting
Hi all,

I would like to share several tips for interpreting, specifically in an outdoor setting. Most of these tips were derived from my recent experiences as an interpreter for Rain Forest Norway on a 4 days expedition in Siberut Island in the Mentawai.

1. The Different Setting

Interpreting in an outdoor setting will be different compared to indoor setting. In the later setting, you will have somewhat more manageable/ controlable situation. You will have your microphone, PA system, air-conditioner, all the comfort that you can get.

In an outdoor setting, you will face the changes more often, in general these changes will be caused by the weather. Other causes will be the transportation, if you're going places.

Thus, your equipments will also be different. Forget the nice pants and long sleeves-ties combination. Go for jeans, shorts, and t-shirts/ short sleeves instead. You can also forget about your nice leather bag and switch into a backpack/ dry bag.

Spoiler for 1

e.g. : during the expedition, we're taking the speedboat, pompong (small canoe-like boat, made from a single piece of wood with small outboard motor), medium wooden boat, and car.

Places we visited will include villages located in the upstream, near the bay on the coastal area, and in the remote places in mainland of West Sumatera. Travel time? ranging from 3 hours to 10,5 hours/ trip.

2. (ALWAYS) Be Prepared

An outdoor setting means that you will be exposed to several things that you cannot control. In my case, this would be an almost 24 hours delay as we cannot ride the scheduled ferry to Siberut Island as it was badly affected by the rough sea and cannot sail again immediately.

The recent expedition also take me through the rivers, crossing several straits as we hopped from one place to another. This will means rain, rough sea, and tons of mosquitos. Also, you cannot count on having an electricity and toilet in those places. Internet connection and signal coverage? are you kidding me?!?

Spoiler for 2

3. Understand the local context

VERY IMPORTANT. As an interpreter you should understand the local dos and don'ts . You should always be able to probe deeper into each of the respondents' mind. Gather as much information before going in.

In my case, this would be the case of cigarettes. Indigenous people of Mentawai loves to smoke, regardless the gender. So, before each interview we usually put out the cigarettes, lighter, and coffee. After a brief introduction, it's all green light to the interview!

Spoiler for 3

4. Know your employer

Also important! Explain the method that you're going to use while interpreting and make sure that it is OK with the employer. Asked in details what kind of information that they would like to obtain. You should learn the questions that are NICE to ask and NEED to ask. Save your breath and energy!

Spoiler for 4

5. Enjoy the journey

If you're interpreting in an outdoor setting, most likely you can forget about the formality. So, during the journeys to the places, I usually sit back and relax. Enjoying the beatiful sceneries while keeping my energy at the same time.

Spoiler for 5

hope it helps and inspiring . . . Peace:

PS: all photos credited to Rain Forest Norway and Yayasan Cipta Mandiri Mentawai. YES, I did not have my own camera . .
psiramad - 20/03/2012 11:13 AM

^
so are you a tour guide? wow..amazing. I'm really envy on your job.

I never have a confident to become an interpreter although it is my dream job.

Just hope someday I could overcome the challenge and having more confident to become an interpreter.

nice share gan. \)
jchristie - 20/03/2012 11:27 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By psiramad
^
so are you a tour guide? wow..amazing. I'm really envy on your job.

I never have a confident to become an interpreter although it is my dream job.

Just hope someday I could overcome the challenge and having more confident to become an interpreter.

nice share gan. \)

I am not a tour guide, Bro . . .

I'm working for a non-govermental organization and last year got the chance to work as a freelance interpreter for their partners' network meeting at Sikuai Island Resort, off the Padang coast.

This is the 2nd time I've been trusted as an interpreter by them. I must say that I'm satisfied; all expenses paid (return air tickets from Yogya-Jakarta-Padang with Garuda, meals, and accommodation) and I got the chance to visit Siberut Island of the Mentawai . . . Peace:

Thus, that will also signifies the importance of networking and leaving a good impression. You see, they can easily find another interpreter from Padang and save the money for air tickets and accommodation . . .

I'm not even a full-time interpreter malus, unlike the beloved TS of this thread . . . beer:
Page 28 of 36 | ‹ First  < 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)