ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 29 of 36 | ‹ First  < 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 >  Last ›

Ambrosiana - 22/03/2012 09:28 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By psiramad
^
so are you a tour guide? wow..amazing. I'm really envy on your job.

I never have a confident to become an interpreter although it is my dream job.

Just hope someday I could overcome the challenge and having more confident to become an interpreter.

nice share gan.

Quote:
Original Posted By jchristie
I am not a tour guide, Bro . . .

I'm working for a non-govermental organization and last year got the chance to work as a freelance interpreter for their partners' network meeting at Sikuai Island Resort, off the Padang coast.

This is the 2nd time I've been trusted as an interpreter by them. I must say that I'm satisfied; all expenses paid (return air tickets from Yogya-Jakarta-Padang with Garuda, meals, and accommodation) and I got the chance to visit Siberut Island of the Mentawai . . .

Thus, that will also signifies the importance of networking and leaving a good impression. You see, they can easily find another interpreter from Padang and save the money for air tickets and accommodation . . .

I'm not even a full-time interpreter , unlike the beloved TS of this thread . . .

Tour Guide ngakak ngakak

Psiramad, JC was hired regularly by NGO's. He often posted those photos just to make me envious \(\(\(

One day I'll post mine which will make JC envy me. khukhukhukhu
Ambrosiana - 22/03/2012 09:29 AM

Who want to work for KPK?

Quote:
Scope of Work: Strengthening Integrity and Accountability Program-1 (SIAP-1), Indonesia
Translator

Strengthening Integrity and Accountability Program-1 (SIAP-1) is a
three year program funded by the United States Agency for
International Development implemented under the leadership of
Management Systems International (MSI).

Project Summary:
The objective of SIAP-1 is to contribute to good governance in
Indonesia by strengthening integrity and accountability in government
– principally at the national level. It will do this by supporting
governmental and non-governmental efforts to strengthen integrity and
accountability. Two major components of SIAP-1 are:
1. Supporting efforts by key accountability agencies such as the
Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) and the Supreme Audit Body
(BPK) to strengthen integrity and accountability in government.
2. Supporting efforts to strengthen political integrity and
accountability by reducing the influence of “money politics.” This
will include support for efforts to strengthen the fair regulation of
political finance and effective oversight and enforcement.
Position Summary:
The Translator shall provide technically accurate translation of the
requested documents from Bahasa to English and English to Bahasa. The
Candidate is also responsible for providing technically accurate
verbal interpretation from Bahasa to English and English to Bahasa.

Responsibilities:
• Translate written program documents into English and Bahasa
• Conduct consecutive and simultaneous oral translation during meetings
• Conduct other tasks as assigned by COP.

Qualifications:

• Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience.
• Native Bahasa and fluent written and oral English.
• Knowledge of Anti-Corruption and Development Assistance Terminology
• Ability to work under pressure and on tight deadlines
• Be able to work efficiently and accurately in a demanding environment
• Good team-work and participatory skill

**This is a local position; only Indonesian nationals will be considered.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be
contacted. Interested candidates please send your cover letter, CV
(including three refences) and contact no. to
siap1recruitment@gmail.com no later than 10 April 2012.
englishx - 27/03/2012 01:55 AM

Hi Ambro,

Thank you for sharing your great experience working as a translator as it is defined by numerous types of translation practices. Frankly, I was like very shocked when I got my first call from my boss talking about a client that I was going to work with. I was the real noob noob and decided to take that breath-taking job which is interpreter.

As far as I know that this kind of job would also require a good and long-lasting endurance because during the process we really have to pay attention to two people talking by their turn. I still remember when I was lost during the conversation because I had a few hours slept and it, of course, ruined my concentration. Well, it's a tough job but well-paid.
amoeck - 27/03/2012 11:37 AM
New experience
Starting tonight I will try a new experience as an on site subtitler/transcriber...for about one week...wish me luck
Ambrosiana - 27/03/2012 10:29 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By englishx
Hi Ambro,

Thank you for sharing your great experience working as a translator as it is defined by numerous types of translation practices. Frankly, I was like very shocked when I got my first call from my boss talking about a client that I was going to work with. I was the real noob noob and decided to take that breath-taking job which is interpreter.

As far as I know that this kind of job would also require a good and long-lasting endurance because during the process we really have to pay attention to two people talking by their turn. I still remember when I was lost during the conversation because I had a few hours slept and it, of course, ruined my concentration. Well, it's a tough job but well-paid.

I have to admit that being interpreter needs great endurance ngakaks
If you see JChristie's posts, he also enjoyed life by working as interpreter ;)

Moreover, he always posted beautiful places he visited in his works mads mads I envy him and you \(
Quote:
Original Posted By amoeck
Starting tonight I will try a new experience as an on site subtitler/transcriber...for about one week...wish me luck

I wish you luck, Bro D
I'm a movie fan too ;)

Still stand on second rank of Movie Forum Detective :cool
compgeek - 29/03/2012 09:20 PM

Tolong dikomentarin untuk 2 teks berikut, dong. Yang pasti instruksinya nggak boleh nerjemahin word-per-word dan kita harus bisa mengintrepretasi ulang material busana yang digunakan secara deskriptif untuk para audiens.

Silakan diperbaiki, kalau-kalau ada yang kurang, atau istilah mode yang nggak benar, atau kesalahan apa pun.

Aku sengaja menghilangkan beberapa frasa atau mengubah strukturnya untuk menghindari kalimat tsb menjadi 'verbose/wordy' akibat kosakata bahasa Indonesia yang pada dasarnya lebih panjang2 daripada bahasa Inggris, sambil berusaha tetap mempertahankan pesan yang esensial.

[QUOTE=text]A directional top with flattering short, wide kimono sleeves, this pure white number is crafted from 100% cotton and has a loose fit, for both comfort and coolness and a modern, carefree vibe. The structured ruffled neckline adds height to the back as well as a detail and softness to the entire top and is a stand-out feature. Pair with skinny jeans or a pencil skirt or wear tucked into a full and floaty skirt. Stylish, fashion-forward and flawlessly finished.

Casually elegant like all of their tailored pieces, The Y Label’s light blue button-down jacquard shirt is woven with a statement pattern in a cool blue contrast tone. The modern tailoring brings a smart casual charm and the pattern a boyish youthfulness, perfect for sunny summer days. Worn buttoned to the collar and tucked into smart trousers it lends an injection of fun to evening wear but works just as well thrown over shorts for a more casual look.

Sebagai atasan yang mempunyai lengan kimono pendek, lebar, serta mempesona, busana berwarna putih polos ini terbuat dari 100% katun dan mempunyai desain yang longgar, untuk menyediakan kenyamanan dan kesejukan serta pesona yang modern dan riang gembira. Fitur istimewa berupa garis leher yang berkerut-kerut menambahkan volum ke bagian punggung, di samping juga detil dan kelembutan untuk keseluruhan atasan ini. Pasangkan dengan rok atau celana jeans pensil atau selipkan ke dalam rok yang lebar dan merekah. Penuh gaya, tampak terdepan, serta tercipta dengan indah.

Santai dan elegan seperti semua koleksi pakaian The Y Label, kemeja biru muda berbahan jacquard ini ditenun menggunakan pola kontras biru yang memikat. Jahitan yang modern memberikan pesona kasual yang cerdas, sementara pola kemeja menampilkan kesan anak lelaki muda, cocok untuk suasana musim panas yang cerah. Kenakan kemeja ini dengan mengancingkan hingga ke kerah, serta selipkan ke dalam celana panjang untuk menjadikannya sebagai busana resmi yang menarik. Cocok juga dipadankan dengan celana pendek untuk penampilan yang lebih kasual.[/QUOTE]
z8z82n - 31/03/2012 08:04 AM
Need help..!
Dear,
I'm an English and Indonesian teacher for private.now i'm taking challenge to translate a site from English into a proper Indonesian.because it's an European products which have been spread out around Europe,Australia,and USA.now the holder of the chain of products gonna open market in Indonesia.that's why one of my Australian student asked me to translate the site i mentioned above.
This is first time for me gonna translate into a proper Indonesian with 35 pages. I have pretty self confident to do it,but i still need help from anybody to check the result of my translations.
I really appreciate to anybody who is willing to help me out.
please anyone contact me on my email [email]tjabis@yahoo.com[/email]
Thank's a lot....
p1nk3d_books - 31/03/2012 03:51 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By z8z82n
Dear,
I'm an English and Indonesian teacher for private.now i'm taking challenge to translate a site from English into a proper Indonesian.because it's an European products which have been spread out around Europe,Australia,and USA.now the holder of the chain of products gonna open market in Indonesia.that's why one of my Australian student asked me to translate the site i mentioned above.
This is first time for me gonna translate into a proper Indonesian with 35 pages. I have pretty self confident to do it,but i still need help from anybody to check the result of my translations.
I really appreciate to anybody who is willing to help me out.
please anyone contact me on my email [email]tjabis@yahoo.com[/email]
Thank's a lot....

Only if it's a quid pro quo D
z8z82n - 31/03/2012 06:31 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
Only if it's a quid pro quo D

Do u need so?
p1nk3d_books - 31/03/2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Do u need so?

If checking all 35 pages, yes D. It will be just the same as being your editor, right?
Besides, you are earning money from your translation, right? Or are you doing it pro bono?
z8z82n - 01/04/2012 07:42 AM

Quote:
If checking all 35 pages, yes D. It will be just the same as being your editor, right?
Besides, you are earning money from your translation, right? Or are you doing it pro bono?

The 35 pages are not full of writing.some of them full of pictures with little bit information.
and i just do it and ask help is not for 35 pages.only some words,beside i'm not earning money.just help my friend out.
Thank's a lot for ur advice and time u have spent.
amoeck - 01/04/2012 02:21 PM

Quote:
The 35 pages are not full of writing.some of them full of pictures with little bit information.
and i just do it and ask help is not for 35 pages.only some words,beside i'm not earning money.just help my friend out.

Wow 35 pages for free...it is a very generous of you. If you just one to consult some words...just go to Proz.com and ask the people there for FREE...

But if you ask people here to edit for free I don't think they will do it because it has been our profession...There is nothing such a free lunch, right
z8z82n - 01/04/2012 02:34 PM

@ bro Amoeck
Thank's bro...
p1nk3d_books - 01/04/2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Tjabis, put the paragraphs in question in the 'Permintaan Bantuan Terjemahan' thread. I will try to help you as much as I can... \)
gemala10001 - 04/04/2012 11:34 AM

maybe everyone wanna be a translator, because it's a simply job!
we can do it at home or everywhere that we want, and it dosn't take a long time to do it, and so do I..
I wanna be a translator..

but I've a problem..
I think my english is not good enough to do this work, so many thing that I know yet such as vocabularies, networking, and honestly I am a person that can't operate the computer or internet well "gaptek"
so, have u a solution for me??
actually, I'm very happy can join in this thread..
at least I can share something that I want,
and improve my english

thq
HokagoTiTaimu - 04/04/2012 02:47 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By gemala10001

Gwahahah... I'm afraid your sentence will make Tonny and Sis P1nkie offended. They really hate if someone considers working as translator is simple.

In my opinion. Working as translator is related with your hobby... passion... and I myself feel satisfy if I successfully transferred a meaning through my translation.
Everyone will feel happy if they can work in a field they have passion on it ;)

However, 'simple' is not a correct word.
A good translator needs long experience, hard work, and continuous learning to be a good translator

Quote:

we can do it at home or everywhere that we want, and it doesn't take a long time to do it, and so do I..

Believe me.
Some project take time ;)

Quote:

but I've a problem..
I think my english is not good enough to do this work, so many thing that I know yet such as vocabularies, networking, and honestly I am a person that can't operate the computer or internet well "gaptek"
and improve my english

thq

There's no other way than continuous learning.
Lao Zi said: "A journey started by a small step"
Give assessment to your strength and weakness, then focus on some points which support your passion to be translator, and strengthen it!
Feel free to PM/VM me if you want to have a chat about translation world D

#baru sadar lagi gak pake Prime ID
#Aku TS thread ini ;)
p1nk3d_books - 04/04/2012 02:56 PM

Quote:
we can do it at home or everywhere that we want, and it dosn't take a long time to do it, and so do I..
I wanna be a translator..

but I've a problem..
and improve my english

thq

Quote:
Original Posted By HokagoTiTaimu

Gwahahah... I'm afraid your sentence will make Tonny and Sis P1nkie offended. They really hate if someone considers working as translator is simple.

Yes you are right, Ambro. I am VERY offended and pissed off.
Who the hell are you, Gemala, to say that translator is a "SIMPLY" job?? Do you have any credibility? Did you even learn English?
Learn first how to use the correct adj, noun, verb, adverb then get back here.
Oh and while you're on it, perhaps you wanna learn English TOO. Because your English SIMPLY sucks!!
tonnyc - 04/04/2012 07:19 PM

I am not mad. Sad, maybe. See, he thinks translating is easy. He then excuses himself by saying that his English is not good enough. The level of ignorance needed to engage in that level of illogical thinking is astounding.
p1nk3d_books - 04/04/2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Who the hell are you, Gemala, to say that translator is a "SIMPLY" job?? Do you have any credibility? Did you even learn English?
Oh and while you're on it, perhaps you wanna learn English TOO. Because your English SIMPLY sucks!!

Quote:
Original Posted By tonnyc
I am not mad. Sad, maybe. See, he thinks translating is easy. He then excuses himself by saying that his English is not good enough. The level of ignorance needed to engage in that level of illogical thinking is astounding.

I started to think that maybe we have wasted our time to type the response to a kaskuser that prolly will never come back here.
I feel at loss hammer:
Ambrosiana - 04/04/2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Patience, Sis... takuts
Remember your blood pressure ngacir:
Quote:
Original Posted By tonnyc

You really pointed at thing I missed... hammer:
I felt a strange impression about his sentences, but I cannot elaborate it. Yes, you're right. There's a disconnected logic structure there ngakaks
Quote:

I started to think that maybe we have wasted our time to type the response to a kaskuser that prolly will never come back here.
I feel at loss hammer:

Ooooh... Don't worry Sis.
At least your response will warn other people who consider translation is simple matter ngakaks
A friend of mine said he loved to silently reading the discussion here ;)
Page 29 of 36 | ‹ First  < 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)