ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 3 of 36 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›

jchristie - 01/05/2011 01:04 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books

Yg buat kepikiran: about the 'don't negotiate your rate' thing. I got an offer from a publisher. They have stated their rate (which I think was appropriate for newbies but not for translators like me, who have at least translated 5 books) and asked for my rate. So I gave them my rate. They said it was understandable but can I give them kinder rate since this is the first time we work together? (harga perkenalan -- as they call it p) So I decided to lower my rate a bit, since I was afraid I would lose the deal \( What do you think of this?

Hmm, I think it makes sense, you're expecting more translation work in the long run anyway. Almost similar with my case of accepting the bottom price as an interpreter. In the end, we share common benefits; network (in your case, with new publisher) and experience (no matter how many books you've translated, you always find something new along the way)

You can apply 'harga perkenalan' first, to show the quality of your work and apply your regular price later on. Thus, I emphasize to negotiate your fee but you need to have a give n take there. However, DO NOT negotiate your translation quality, never...!

IMHO ya, Dear Sista. come to think of it, I'm the junior translator here...
Ambrosiana - 01/05/2011 08:34 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By jchristie
Relate to the above title, what format you can use for your translation job? The answer may vary, either based on your preferences or your customer's. Here's my translation format for an example:

Font Type/ Size : Calibri/ 11
Alternative : Times New Roman/ 12

Margins : Moderate (on MS Word 97)
Alternative : Left-Right; 4cm, Top-Bottom; 3cm

Spacing : 1.5 OR 2
Paper Size : A4

This formatting will have a HUGE impact to your translation fee, if you charged by the number of finished/ translated page. So, determine which format you are comfortable with. Thus, state this format clearly to your client.

Fellow translators, please add/ share your thoughts on this.... beer:

I use the same format as you. But in my recent work translating a book, the editor told me to use 2,5 margins (from every side).
I really agree that it has impact on our fee p
To avoid misunderstanding about it, I used to tell the client first about my translation format margins, even the font...
Until now I never had a client who did calculation per word... so I do it per page...
Quote:

Me, I'm a bit quirky person p I have to type in the correct font in order to build my mood. Bad font, bad mood = no motive to do translation. TNR is a big no for me, I view the font as a very rigid font and has no personality. I usually type in Verdana, recently I type in Calibri but I got bored and now I'm trying Maiandra p

That's really 'you'.
in Bahasa Indonesia: "Sis P1nk banget gitu loh..."
Quote:

@ p1nk3d - geez, I do hate TNR unless the customer wants it. But, having a font type affecting your mood? wow, Sista...btw, what did you do recently that make you 'kepikiran'? if you don't mind sharing...

Next : WILL YOU CHARGE DIFFERENTLY for English - Bahasa and Bahasa - English translation?
I think, I should charge MORE for Bahasa to English translation. The logic is because I see Bahasa is 'richer' in terms of vocab, it has no tense, no gender (he/ she), making translation from English is easier.

Share your thought, pleaseee.... beer:

[COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"]ps: hope you all don't mind this 'non-pure' and on-occasion translator learn from this thread as well.

Certainly agree.
But I have unique story about it.
There is a certification in UI (arranged by HPI) for English >-- Bahasa Indonesia language pair and Bahasa Indonesia >-- English language pair. Each of the language pair cost IDR 600.000.
You will surprise that there is a unique fact that some translators who passed for Bahasa Indonesia >-- English test failed in the opposite language pair test. They consider that English >-- Bahasa Indonesia more difficult hammer:
Quote:

Yg buat kepikiran: about the 'don't negotiate your rate' thing. I got an offer from a publisher. They have stated their rate (which I think was appropriate for newbies but not for translators like me, who have at least translated 5 books) and asked for my rate. So I gave them my rate. They said it was understandable but can I give them kinder rate since this is the first time we work together? (harga perkenalan -- as they call it p) So I decided to lower my rate a bit, since I was afraid I would lose the deal \( What do you think of this?

Wow, this kind of rate discussion was done often in Bahtera milis. There was a senior translator, his name Arfan Achyar, he said that all translator shouldn't lower their rate, moreover they who had experienced on their field, since smart-Publisher certainly would choose quality than rate. They just tried to negotiate to raise their own profit.

But in this case I just quoted him hammer:
I myself often use 'friendly' rate since: (1) Although I have long career here, I confess that I should improve my skill much; (2) I'm a bit afraid the customer will leave me.... nohope:

Quote:
Hmm, I think it makes sense, you're expecting more translation work in the long run anyway. Almost similar with my case of accepting the bottom price as an interpreter. In the end, we share common benefits; network (in your case, with new publisher) and experience (no matter how many books you've translated, you always find something new along the way)

You can apply 'harga perkenalan' first, to show the quality of your work and apply your regular price later on. Thus, I emphasize to negotiate your fee but you need to have a give n take there. However, DO NOT negotiate your translation quality, never...!

IMHO ya, Dear Sista. come to think of it, I'm the junior translator here...

Yes... I also agreed that Sis P1nk deserve a proper rate... Not kinder rate since she was experienced and she had achievements on Novel Translation...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
p1nk3d_books - 01/05/2011 08:46 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

I use the same format as you. But in my recent work translating a book, the editor told me to use 2,5 margins (from every side).
I really agree that it has impact on our fee p
To avoid misunderstanding about it, I used to tell the client first about my translation format margins, even the font...
Until now I never had a client who did calculation per word... so I do it per page...

Yes, but most publishers give price per character and if not, they will most probably state their page margin etc requirement. Only Dastan doesn't, and I guess that's very careless of them, but the hell with it, it benefits me as the translator, muahahaha ngakak

Quote:
Wow, this kind of rate discussion was done often in Bahtera milis. There was a senior translator, his name Arfan Achyar, he said that all translator shouldn't lower their rate, moreover they who had experienced on their field, since smart-Publisher certainly would choose quality than rate. They just tried to negotiate to raise their own profit.

But in this case I just quoted him hammer:
I myself often use 'friendly' rate since: (1) Although I have long career here, I confess that I should improve my skill much; (2) I'm a bit afraid the customer will leave me.... nohope:

Yes... I also agreed that Sis P1nk deserve a proper rate... Not kinder rate since she was experienced and she had achievements on Novel Translation...

Yes, that's exactly what happened to me, I was afraid to lose the deal so D lower it a bit p

Guys, really you view me too highly. I am not experienced at all and certainly not perfect \( If I don't why would Gramedia throw me away then \(
jchristie - 02/05/2011 08:47 AM
how should I charge my translation fee?
Some of the fellow translators already mentioned this in the previous postings, so I would like to wrap it. Who knows it would be something that you call can use. HOW SHOULD I CHARGE my TRANSLATION FEE?

a. By Words
Some clients prefer to calculate the number of words from your final translation work. By having this method, the margins, font type/ size won't matter. I personally think that this is fair if the client has more pictures than text (e.g. manual book).

b. By Number of Pages
This would be the most common method, just count the final work and you received your payment. The margins, font type/ size really matters if you are using this method. Work best if you have more text than pictures (e.g. novel, text book)

WHAT SHOULD I DO? It's really depending on yourself. Try to do a quick analysis/ calculation if possible before you agreed on how a translation job will be done. Else, this last method could be a way out:

c. Block Tariffs (= tarif borongan)
Simple, you agree on the deadline and other knicks-knacks and the final payment and start working. The number of words, margins, font type/ size do not matter at all, just make sure you deliver good quality translation in time.

Anybody wish to add, please....Ambro, hope you don't mind me keep adding me post to this thread. I just have a lot in my mind and I want to share and see what the fellow translators think of it.

beer:
Monoxdifly - 02/05/2011 01:19 PM

Hi, all! Glad that finally I've found a translator thread here. I'm a translator as well, but still a newbie. I'm working at a computer rental near my campus as a freelance translator, starting from a week ago. I hope I can learn a lot about translation here.
Monoxdifly - 02/05/2011 01:21 PM

Hi, all! Glad that finally I've found a translator thread here. I'm a translator as well, but still a newbie. I'm working at a computer rental near my campus as a freelance translator, starting from a week ago. I hope I can learn a lot about translation here.
p1nk3d_books - 02/05/2011 03:22 PM

Quote:
Some of the fellow translators already mentioned this in the previous postings, so I would like to wrap it. Who knows it would be something that you call can use. HOW SHOULD I CHARGE my TRANSLATION FEE?

a. By Words
Some clients prefer to calculate the number of words from your final translation work. By having this method, the margins, font type/ size won't matter. I personally think that this is fair if the client has more pictures than text (e.g. manual book).

b. By Number of Pages
This would be the most common method, just count the final work and you received your payment. The margins, font type/ size really matters if you are using this method. Work best if you have more text than pictures (e.g. novel, text book)

WHAT SHOULD I DO? It's really depending on yourself. Try to do a quick analysis/ calculation if possible before you agreed on how a translation job will be done. Else, this last method could be a way out:

Simple, you agree on the deadline and other knicks-knacks and the final payment and start working. The number of words, margins, font type/ size do not matter at all, just make sure you deliver good quality translation in time.

Anybody wish to add, please....Ambro, hope you don't mind me keep adding me post to this thread. I just have a lot in my mind and I want to share and see what the fellow translators think of it.

beer:

Per characters? Saya malah ga pernah dgr yg per words. Malah rugi kali kalo katanya panjang mis: 'mengejawantahkan' atau 'pertanggungan' atau semacamnya ngakak
Ambrosiana - 02/05/2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Anybody wish to add, please....[COLOR="Blue"]Ambro, hope you don't mind me keep adding me post to this thread. I just have a lot in my mind and I want to share and see what the fellow translators think of it.

beer:

C'mon jchristie... You know how thankful I am since there is someone like you keep paying attention to my thread... giving us something new to view....

If I can, I will copy all your ideas about translations directly from your brain and paste it on my thread...

Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly

Hi Monoxdifly... I always remember you... An Enthusiast person in English (who once angry on your lecturer since she didn't allow you to use English directly to express your thought)...
Welcome...How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Actually this is not kind of "Translator Group"... I just try to share some tips about working as a translator, and I really grateful that many of advanced translators from Kaskus supported me and added their thoughts too...

Certainly I would be glad if you also share your personal tips in working... Feel free to share and comment on this thread.
Quote:
Per characters? Saya malah ga pernah dgr yg per words. Malah rugi kali kalo katanya panjang mis: 'mengejawantahkan' atau 'pertanggungan' atau semacamnya ngakak

Waw, actually per word rate is 'common rule' in International world of translation, Sis.
Here is a screenshot from Proz.com. A site which helped translators to get job overseas. You can see on the 'translator's profile', rate is counted per word.
Spoiler for Example from proz.com
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

*Don't worry that the person in the picture, Arfan Achyar, would be angry since his picture was shared without permission. I knew him personally, so it would be fine.

[/COLOR]
jchristie - 02/05/2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Ha ha ha, my mistake, Dear Sista.....meant to say per word, got it revised now malu: Surely, if we can charged per characters, we'll be very rich by now...

@ Ambro - many thanks for the attention, Sire... shakehand

PS : anybody had experience with 'tarif borongan' in translating? My first job I got from kaskus, got paid 2.5 million in 2 tranches for a manual book with 30 working days to finish...
el_stup1do - 02/05/2011 07:08 PM

OK so here's my question, should I swap this thread with the stickied one ?
Ambrosiana - 02/05/2011 07:49 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By el_stup1do

OMG!
Mod Stu... I mean... Ow, I really feel proud about it...
I lost words to describe how I feel now....
If you don't mind, I will let the decision on you and all the English Forum Enthusiasts...
Whatever its result, I feel honorable...
Thank you so much...
Wow..

Thank you too for all who has contributed on this threads...

p1nk3d_books - 02/05/2011 09:45 PM

Quote:
Ha ha ha, my mistake, Dear Sista.....meant to say per word, got it revised now malu: Surely, if we can charged per characters, we'll be very rich by now...

@ Ambro - many thanks for the attention, Sire... shakehand

PS : anybody had experience with 'tarif borongan' in translating? My first job I got from kaskus, got paid 2.5 million in 2 tranches for a manual book with 30 working days to finish...

Eh salahnya di mana? Ga ada salah apa2 kok D It's just that I've never heard a publisher offers rate charged per word. Usually it's per character. AFAIK, Gramedia offer as much as Rp. 8,- / character (no space) and more or less other publishers too. Won't be rich sooner hammer:
Quote:

OMG!
Mod Stu... I mean... Ow, I really feel proud about it...
I lost words to describe how I feel now....
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)If you don't mind, I will let the decision on you and all the English Forum Enthusiasts...
Whatever its result, I feel honorable...
Thank you so much...
Wow..

Thank you too for all who has contributed on this threads...

Lah udah ge-er aja ni si Ambo ngakaks
Mod-nya baru mempertanyakan euyyy p
Ambrosiana - 02/05/2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Congrats for your project :selamat
I think you should make a good calculation about it... I never accept kind of 'borongan' since I'm a bit afraid that it will be less than my usual rate (greedy, isn't it?...)
If there were huge project came on me, I would simply ask for down payment and said that I would calculate the total fee after the project done...
Quote:

Lah udah ge-er aja ni si Ambo ngakaks
Mod-nya baru mempertanyakan euyyy p

Oooh...
just questioning...
it's alrite... Hiks...
I was too proud...
loc - 04/05/2011 12:01 AM

umm.. i don't think that was a real offer from mod. the way i see it, it's a sarcastic way of saying "didn't you know there was a sticky translation/translators' thread? why did you have to make a new one?" D

sorry if i'm wrong, but if that's true, i think it would be great if you could merge this one with that sticky, bro \) cheers!
Ambrosiana - 04/05/2011 07:40 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
umm.. i don't think that was a real offer from mod. the way i see it, it's a sarcastic way of saying "didn't you know there was a sticky translation/translators' thread? why did you have to make a new one?" D

sorry if i'm wrong, but if that's true, i think it would be great if you could merge this one with that sticky, bro \) cheers!

When I think again, you're right, Loc...
In my defense, here I want to share tips for beginner. Where everyone can read it free... Since the stickied thread seems kinda 'exclusive'...
But, I will follow the rule... Just tell me what to do, and I'll do it... I don't know how to merge it..
el_stup1do - 04/05/2011 08:14 AM

Whoaaaaaaa no no, that was a straightforward question and nothing was implied. I just need a consensus before doing it.

I go all out when I'm being sarcastic.
Ambrosiana - 04/05/2011 09:45 AM

Ow.... It's for real!!!....
Ow... Thank you Mod Stu...
[COLOR="White"]My day seems so bright again

Loc, Mod Stu asked it for real...
Uuh... Dasar Loc... Nakut-nakutin aja...

I'm dancing in happiness
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)[/color]
el_stup1do - 04/05/2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

I'm dancing in happiness
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)[/color]

Loc's probably just yanking your chain.
FrozenFlame - 04/05/2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

a. By Words

b. By Number of Pages

beer:

I usually charge the clients by Number of Pages ( since I translate textbooks and documents ), but

If it's legal documents I charge clients by number of LINE of Paragraphs or letter(s)/words with fixed indentation and font size/font type ( and also paragraph spacing ).

If translating :

1.Bahasa Indonesia >- English ( a bit harder )
My source of calculation is from Bahasa Indonesia
And I will charge more expensive

2.English >- Bahasa Indonesia ( a bit easier )
My source of calculation is from ( again! ) Bahasa Indonesia

Why ?
Because Bahasa Indonesia tend to use more words to explain one word in English ( though not all ) D

Quote:

I'm dancing in happiness

shakehand shakehand Congratz Ambro D

Today's I lolled hard ngakak here's the chronology :

Quote:

Quote:
Original Posted By loc

Quote:

When I think again, you're right, Loc...
In my defense, here I want to share tips for beginner. Where everyone can read it free... Since the stickied thread seems kinda 'exclusive'...
But, I will follow the rule... Just tell me what to do, and I'll do it... I don't know how to merge it..

Quote:
Whoaaaaaaa no no, that was a straightforward question and nothing was implied. I just need a consensus before doing it.

I go all out when I'm being sarcastic.

el_stup1do gives off strong character D, and based on his 'usual' disposition I also thought that el-san was just being sarcastic D

It's just natural hammer2:
Loyz.D - 04/05/2011 05:13 PM

Wow... this is a very interesting thread, (especially for a newbie translator like me o)!

Quote:
Eh salahnya di mana? Ga ada salah apa2 kok D It's just that I've never heard a publisher offers rate charged per word. Usually it's per character. AFAIK, Gramedia offer as much as Rp. 8,- / character (no space) and more or less other publishers too. Won't be rich sooner hammer:

Yeah, I also think it's common for translators to be paid per certain numbers of characters for their works. In fact, I usually charge my client Rp. xxx / 1500 chars (no space) of the translated documents for Ind-Eng translation and Rp. yyy/ 1500 chars (no space) for Eng-Ind translation.
Page 3 of 36 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)