ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 31 of 36 | ‹ First  < 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 > 

Monoxdifly - 25/04/2012 12:48 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By alvz
hello... \)

just wondering is it still a "hot job" by becoming an english translator...

because as we know that another language are already showed up as a great competitor for example : mandarin, korean, france....
in bali as a tour guide, the one who mastered mandarin are paid more than the one that only fluent in english language..

thanks for the attention :P and sorry for my bad english

Because most of us don't work as tour guide, but as book translators instead. And most of the books are published in English.

Btw, for everyone, isn't there any of you freelance translators who live in Solo? I get a college homework to interview an enterprenuer, so I try to make an interview to a freelance translator because that's one of my dreams...
sut3ch - 25/04/2012 10:25 PM

Night everyone,

Sorry to asking. Actually what is the most type of translation given to you? thanks
mylandp - 30/04/2012 02:34 AM
HPI member
Hi Ambrosiana,
It's nice to find this thread, I found it very useful \)
You mentioned something earlier in the thread about HPI. I live in Balikpapan and would like to know if there is other way to become their members without having to travel to their HQ as I don't have much free time to leave my permanent work here.

By the way, keep posting! Sad that I found this thread a little bit late and missing some vacancies the member had posted here.
Will wait for another tips, stories and forwarded vacancies from you and other members.

Cheers,
Ambrosiana - 30/04/2012 07:32 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By alvz
hello... \)

just wondering is it still a "hot job" by becoming an english translator...

because as we know that another language are already showed up as a great competitor for example : mandarin, korean, france....
in bali as a tour guide, the one who mastered mandarin are paid more than the one that only fluent in english language..

thanks for the attention :P and sorry for my bad english

Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly
Because most of us don't work as tour guide, but as book translators instead. And most of the books are published in English.

Btw, for everyone, isn't there any of you freelance translators who live in Solo? I get a college homework to interview an enterprenuer, so I try to make an interview to a freelance translator because that's one of my dreams...

Add some words from Monox, English is still used by most people in the world whether for popular or scientific publication. So, I can say English translator still offer 'hot chance'. However, the competition is so great too, while in other language mastery, you can find less competitors than English.

Monox, if you haven't found one, you can join:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/36838612269/

Then try to find a translator from Solo there ;)
Although you're not HPI member, you can freely join the group ;)
Quote:
Original Posted By sut3ch
Night everyone,

Sorry to asking. Actually what is the most type of translation given to you? thanks

Novel (literature), articles, and scientific journals are most type of translation I got.
However, if you market yourself to ProZ or TranslatorsCafe, there would be more formal translation project (documents, etc) with higher rate but you need to master CAT Tools, because most job offered there need CAT Tools mastery.

Quote:
Original Posted By mylandp
Hi Ambrosiana,
It's nice to find this thread, I found it very useful \)
You mentioned something earlier in the thread about HPI. I live in Balikpapan and would like to know if there is other way to become their members without having to travel to their HQ as I don't have much free time to leave my permanent work here.

By the way, keep posting! Sad that I found this thread a little bit late and missing some vacancies the member had posted here.
Will wait for another tips, stories and forwarded vacancies from you and other members.

Cheers,

Don't worry myland.
Actually you can propose to be a member via email. Feel free to visit www.hpi.or.id to find the requirements.
You can also join http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/36838612269/ to enlarge your insight about translation world.
One benefit living in Balikpapan is, there are so many huge companies there, which offer fantastic salaries for translator. One of my friends also said that competition in finding projects for translating article, journal, and scientific materials for undergraduate students there doesn't have too much competitors, and the rate is quite good than in Java ;)
alanissa - 30/04/2012 08:34 AM

Really inspiring. I'm not a sworn translator, but I've been working for some international organizations in West Sumatra. Cheers...
amoeck - 02/05/2012 03:44 AM

@Monox: If I am not mistaken Rahmani Astuti (a novel translator) lives around Solo. Unfortunately, I don't have her contact. Maybe you can just googling. Or you can also check UNS because there is a Graduate Program for Translation (S2).
adyskaskus - 05/05/2012 05:19 PM

wow,,,it's great thread,, i do like this. \)b
actually I'm looking for tread like this for long time ago,,
and finally i have found this thread that really help me.
thanks for TS,,,
Anshar - 05/05/2012 07:00 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By alanissa
Really inspiring. I'm not a sworn translator, but I've been working for some international organizations in West Sumatra. Cheers...

Hi Alannisa, is there any vacancy at your company as translator or interpreter? malus
I am a translator by profession
Quote:
Original Posted By amoeck
@Monox: If I am not mistaken Rahmani Astuti (a novel translator) lives around Solo. Unfortunately, I don't have her contact. Maybe you can just googling. Or you can also check UNS because there is a Graduate Program for Translation (S2).

Hello amoeck,
Here's her profile page at Facebook, hope this helps \)
Anshar - 05/05/2012 07:09 PM

malus I am still a newbie translator, gotta learn more from all suhu here malus
tonnyc - 05/05/2012 07:12 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Anshar

Is that you? Welcome.
Watch out for Ambrosiana. He's the crazy one.
Also, don't bother trying to impress pinkie. You can't compete against loc anyways. p
Anshar - 05/05/2012 07:19 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By tonnyc

Is that you? Welcome.
Also, don't bother trying to impress pinkie. You can't compete against loc anyways. p

As long as he/she doesn't eat people, I don't mind to compete ngakak Peace:
loc - 05/05/2012 11:43 PM

Quote:
Is that you? Welcome.

Quote:

i do eat people. ngakaks and it's 'he', thank you very much. army:
Anshar - 06/05/2012 07:06 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc

Now we have one cannibal here at kaskus ngakak
Ambrosiana - 06/05/2012 01:58 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By alanissa

Feel free to share your experience here, Sis.
It's our pleasure to welcome you ;)
Quote:
Original Posted By amoeck

Aaah... How can I forgot.
yes, Mrs. Rahmani Astuti is in Solo
This is the clue if you want to meet her:

Spoiler for Rahmani Astuti (Watch out: Totally Bandwidth murderer
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

Don't ask who stood beside her... ngacir:
Quote:
Original Posted By adyskaskus
wow,,,it's great thread,, i do like this. \)bs
actually I'm looking for tread like this for long time ago,,
and finally i have found this thread that really help me.
thanks for TS,,,

Thank you Ady. Feel free to contribute
Quote:

Quote:
Is that you? Welcome.

Quote:

Quote:
Original Posted By loc

Quote:
Now we have one cannibal here at kaskus ngakak

Ah, Tonny was exaggerating.
The crazy one he mentioned is the only one who able to compete loc How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

OK... Not in English skill... but in winning Sis P1nkie's heart...hammer:
loc was not the one who received five novels translated by Sis P1nkie, signed with her original autograph...How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

As far as I know, Sis Pinkie always rejected when loc asked her to go out, in the opposite, she always received my invitation ngacir:

Be strong old loc...
Be strong!...

ngacir:
Anshar - 06/05/2012 03:36 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

OK... Not in English skill... but in winning Sis P1nkie's heart...hammer:
loc was not the one who received five novels translated by Sis P1nkie, signed with her original autograph...How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

As far as I know, Sis Pinkie always rejected when loc asked her to go out, in the opposite, she always received my invitation ngacir:

Be strong old loc...
Be strong!...

ngacir:

Pinkie? Can anyone tell me who this girl you're talking about is? malus
Ambrosiana - 06/05/2012 06:50 PM

Quote:
Pinkie? Can anyone tell me who this girl you're talking about is? malus

I officially introduced:

Sweetest Pinkie

My colleague, my neighbour, my friend, my idol - Great novel translators who have translated many books from many huge publishers in Indonesia.
Walk over my dead body if you want to meet her How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Anshar - 07/05/2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

I officially introduced:

Sweetest Pinkie

My colleague, my neighbour, my friend, my idol - Great novel translators who have translated many books from many huge publishers in Indonesia.
Walk over my dead body if you want to meet her How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

Link you provided to her profile page can't be accessed, gan :sorry

I'd be very glad to step over your body, to meet her or not ngakak Peace:
p1nk3d_books - 07/05/2012 11:31 AM

My goodness, I never know about the conversation above :nohope
But, needless to say, I'm flattered o
I wish tonny would join the club of my pursuiters D
Ambrosiana - 07/05/2012 12:19 PM

Quote:
Link you provided to her profile page can't be accessed, gan :sorry

I'd be very glad to step over your body, to meet her or not ngakak Peace:

It's Old Kaskus link, Bro ;)
Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
My goodness, I never know about the conversation above :nohope
But, needless to say, I'm flattered o
I wish tonny would join the club of my pursuiters D

Actually I want to contact you, but I found that talking about you while you haven't found out was more exciting hammer:
Eeeh... text me when you dropped by, I seriously will treat you something. \matabelo:/
I still kept some of my first book payment to celebrate it malus
Btw, I already got new book project... But it's a Islamic figure history book from Assalam Publisher ;)
p1nk3d_books - 07/05/2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Actually I want to contact you, but I found that talking about you while you haven't found out was more exciting hammer:
Eeeh... text me when you dropped by, I seriously will treat you something. \matabelo:/
I still kept some of my first book payment to celebrate it malus
Btw, I already got new book project... But it's a Islamic figure history book from Assalam Publisher ;)

Yes, yes, but I'll miss the excitement \(
It's good when I eventually find out, but when I don't \( like in the Lounge for example.
Yes, I will certainly do that bro D Never miss a chance to meet my groupie ngakaks (who the hell I think I am? hammer\) But no need to treat lah...
Good for you! I also have a new project, if you take a look at my FB profile. But it's another cheesy (if not cheesier) project again nohope:
Page 31 of 36 | ‹ First  < 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)