ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 32 of 36 | ‹ First  < 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 > 

julian sark - 11/05/2012 12:27 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By tonnyc
There are two jobs:
1. Translator. This you can do from home.
2. Interpreter. This must be done on site.

You can apply for either job or both.

I like being Interpreter bcause im bored sitting at home..
julian sark - 11/05/2012 12:41 PM
INTERPRETING is a very DYNAMIC and EXICITING Work
Most people think translators and interpreter is a formal work that requires excellent education background and being tied in-house with a big translation agency. But actually it doesnt. What i found in this line of work, you get to meet various kind of people with specific needs, from simple tour guide to assisting in a local company audit.

Ill tell you more and completely along this thread. The Below information is what ive experience so far for the last two years

Freelance Interpreting:
- Imagerom Marketing Team, Malaysian, Trip Guiding to advertising agencies around JAkarta
- Compliance Officer, Thailand company, assisting interviewing workers at factories outside Jakarta
- Freelance Writer (Australian) in jkt interviewing a punk band
- Tourist (Indian), Tour Guiding in jkt and Thousands Island
- Tourist (Malaysian), Tour Guiding in Jkt and Bandung City
- Businessman (Indian) assisting in supplier searching on factories at suburban jkt
- Researcher (Indian), assist in market survey about smartphones in jkt
- Name forgotten (Philipines), assist in church establishment on State department and notary office in jkt

Events Experience (All Related to Foreigners):

Ø Liaison Officer (LO) for the Hongkong Trade Development Council Expo in Jkt, March ‘12
Ø LO for ASEAN-China Entrepreneurs, Mercure Hotel, Jkt 19-23 April ‘11
Ø LO for Garuda Indonesia Sky Trax Alliance Signing Ceremony, Dharmawangsa Hotel, Jkt 22-24 Nov ‘10
Ø LO for the Berlin Delegates on the Asia-Europe City Level Meeting, Kempinski Jkarta 27-30 Oct 10
Ø LO on Launching “CHANGE” book, Rhenald Kasali, Balai Sidang UI Depok,JKt May ‘08

Julian Sark
+6283897745405
Ts24 - 14/05/2012 08:00 PM
We can help you
We are a london based translation agency. We provide high quality Translation services for businesses worldwide. We have written several article on the "how to become a translator".
Ts24 - 14/05/2012 08:02 PM
We can help you
We are a london based translation agency. We provide high quality Translation services for businesses worldwide. We have written several article on the "how to become a translator".
jchristie - 18/05/2012 01:49 PM
Interpreting Opportunity in June 2012
Some information for y'all, don't bother PM me for details! Read through this ad below and contact the e-mail address at the bottom instead. Good luck!

=========================================================

CARE International Indonesia (CII), as an international NGO, has carried out large scale operations in Indonesia, encompassing emergency operations, transitional activities centered on agriculture and nutrition and a range of development initiatives in such areas as water and sanitation, health and micro-credit.

CARE Indonesia in Jakarta is currently recruiting the following position for its project:

JOB TITLE : INTERPRETER (CONSULTANT)
DEPARTMENT/PROJECT : PROGRAM/BCRCC
REPORTS TO : PROJECT MANAGER

BACKGROUND
CARE International Indonesia (CII) will conduct BCR CC Workshop in Jakarta 4-8 June 2012. The Event is needed to provide technical assistance (translator) during the event.

RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS

1. As an interpreter or translator and during the event.
2. As atranslator or interpreter, and when discussions / presentations from Indonesian to English and vice versa.

QUALIFICATIONS
- Has a degree/S1 in relevant field.
- Has an experience 2 years as a Simultaneous and Respective Translator.
- Experiences working in an international and multicultural environment event.
- Ability to work with teams and minimum supervision.
- Must be Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English (Verbal and written).
- Trustworthiness, integrity.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines

TERMS OF OFFER
CARE is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive salary and benefits package, and a collegial working environment. Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above positions, and detailed curriculum vitae, with names and addresses of three referees (including telephone, fax numbers and email address). Please DO NOT attached academic transcripts and Diplomas and state clearly the applied position code in the email subject.

Please submit your applications before May 20, 2012 to CARE International Indonesia, Human Resources Unit: [email]recruit_605@careind.or.id[/email]

"Only qualified applicants will be shortlisted"

=========================================================

nevermind the grammatical errors, Folks....I copied this directly from a posting on another forum that I joined....
Anshar - 21/05/2012 06:58 AM
Vacancy: Penerjemah di Kantor Berita Antara
Perum LKBN Antara (Kantor Berita Antara)

Perusahaan Umum Lembaga Kantor Berita Nasional ANTARA mencari kandidat yang berbakat untuk mengisi posisi:

Translator
Jakarta Raya

Responsibilities:

Melakukan tugas penyuntingan / pengeditan & penerjemahan berita yang dihasilkan oleh Produk Mitra Asing

Requirements:

Pria/Wanita dengan usia maks. 26 (dua puluh enam) tahun
Diutamakan Sarjana jurusan Sastra / Bahasa Inggris, Komunikasi atau Jurnalistik.
Diutamakan memiliki pengetahuan & ketrampilan dibidang jurnalistik
TOEFL Score min. 450.
Dapat mengoperasikan komputer dengan baik
Bersedia bekerja shift
Sehat jasmani & rohani, dibuktikan dengan Surat Keterangan. Sehat & Surat Bebas Narkoba.

Kirim Surat Lamaran, Daftar Riwayat Hidup, Pas Foto (3x4), dan Salinan TOEFL Score ke:

Departemen SDM LKBN ANTARA
Wisma Antara Lt.19
Jl. Merdeka Selatan No. 17
Jakarta 10110

Atau Email: [email]personalia@antara.co.id[/email]
Paling lambat dua minggu setelah tanggal pemasangan iklan ini.
zalee.nr - 23/05/2012 12:38 AM

hello ambro..
just wanna say that this thread is very inspiring (i'm sure i'm not the first person who say that \))

can i ask you something?
Since the first step to become a translator is to mastery target & source language, which skills needed to become a master in translation? is it grammar, reading, speaking, vocab, all of them, or many more?

thanks in advance \)
PS : would you mind correct my grammar if there's any mistakes? Yb
Ambrosiana - 23/05/2012 07:35 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By zalee.nr
hello ambro..
just wanna say that this thread is very inspiring (i'm sure i'm not the first person who say that \))

can i ask you something?
Since the first step to become a translator is to mastery target & source language, which skills needed to become a master in translation? is it grammar, reading, speaking, vocab, all of them, or many more?

thanks b4 \)
PS : would you mind correct my grammar if there's any mistakes? Yb

Hi Zalee,
Thank you for your kind words.
I think many translators would agree that vocab mastery is the most important things above all. Surely grammar is important as our foundation, but after that, your vocab mastery would help you much in translator world.
I said that because in translating, we used to deal with terms. We have to express the terms in target language. Even an experienced translator often find difficulties when they met certain terms...
You can find so many Forum, milis, or Facebook Group where translators or language lovers discuss about certain terms.
That's why I consider that vocabulary mastery is the most important thing and there's no perfection in it. We have to learn continuously. You can see even Tonny with such mastery sometimes confused about novel's terms, Sis P1nkie confused about some scientific terms, and I confused both hammer:
The point is, your vocab mastery will decide how good are you as translator D

*and if you don't mind to correct your post, there are only some minor grammar mistakes, but the expression "Thanks before" is not common (even there's no such expression in western culture) - the correct expression is: "Thanks in advance" D
zalee.nr - 24/05/2012 11:40 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Hi Zalee,
Thank you for your kind words.
I think many translators would agree that vocab mastery is the most important things above all. Surely grammar is important as our foundation, but after that, your vocab mastery would help you much in translator world.
I said that because in translating, we used to deal with terms. We have to express the terms in target language. Even an experienced translator often find difficulties when they met certain terms...
You can find so many Forum, milis, or Facebook Group where translators or language lovers discuss about certain terms.
That's why I consider that vocabulary mastery is the most important thing and there's no perfection in it. We have to learn continuously. You can see even Tonny with such mastery sometimes confused about novel's terms, Sis P1nkie confused about some scientific terms, and I confused both hammer:
The point is, your vocab mastery will decide how good are you as translator D

*and if you don't mind to correct your post, there are only some minor grammar mistakes, but the expression "Thanks before" is not common (even there's no such expression in western culture) - the correct expression is: "Thanks in advance" D

haha, my mistake p
noted and corrected bro, thank you!

anyway, thank you for your advice.. i'll start to work on my vocab now..
can you recommend any spesific milis or forums for me to follow?

thanks in advance p
Anshar - 25/05/2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

thanks in advance p

You can try bahtera mailing list \)
Ambrosiana - 25/05/2012 10:40 AM

Quote:
haha, my mistake p
noted and corrected bro, thank you!

anyway, thank you for your advice.. i'll start to work on my vocab now..

thanks in advance p

Quote:
Original Posted By Anshar

Feel free also to join http://www.facebook.com/groups/36838612269/
You don't have to be HPI member to join.
Just ask permission to the administrator: Mrs. Indra Blanquita D
I'm sure it would be beneficial for you D
zalee.nr - 27/05/2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

thank you bro Anshar & bro Ambro..
i've joined the HPI facebook, while my membership in Bahtera is still waiting for approval.. well, i think i'll go with my grammar while waiting for the approval ;)

by the way, if any of you looking for apartment to rent, my apartment in kalibata is available for now \)

here is the link to my thread in kaskus :
Spoiler for thread link

fell free to contact me if you need any info \)

>--- to bro ambro, i ask your permission to put my advertisement link... if you have any objection with that, i'll delete it...
thank you
Ambrosiana - 27/05/2012 11:22 PM

Quote:
thank you bro Anshar & bro Ambro..
i've joined the HPI facebook, while my membership in Bahtera is still waiting for approval.. well, i think i'll go with my grammar while waiting for the approval ;)

by the way, if any of you looking for apartment to rent, my apartment in kalibata is available for now \)

here is the link to my thread in kaskus :

fell free to contact me if you need any info \)

>--- to bro ambro, i ask your permission to put my advertisement link... if you have any objection with that, i'll delete it...
thank you

Don't worry about the advertisement D
We don't mind...
Btw this thread is OUR hidden advertisement ngakaks ngakaks ngakaks
rosulovers - 29/05/2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Hi ambro, always glad to see one who has the same vision and dream with us, such like what im talking, i mean typing to. D
I had a meeting with Alex last night, gosh, he is kind of person who always overwhelmingly open to, in my guess may be, every person who he met.
it only needs two hours meeting to barely open my eyes and mind that i had left a rich world of creativity for several years, and now you and him successfully pull up my translating motivation from the deep drowning #sorrylebay D deeply want to come back. He gave me a kind of short test last night, and i hopefully can satisfy his requirement.
thanx again ambro, I dream about having such mentors like you guys, and translator career for sure ... :thumbup
nengmemew - 29/05/2012 04:31 PM

Quote:
Perum LKBN Antara (Kantor Berita Antara)

Perusahaan Umum Lembaga Kantor Berita Nasional ANTARA mencari kandidat yang berbakat untuk mengisi posisi:

Translator
Jakarta Raya

Responsibilities:

Melakukan tugas penyuntingan / pengeditan & penerjemahan berita yang dihasilkan oleh Produk Mitra Asing

Requirements:

Pria/Wanita dengan usia maks. 26 (dua puluh enam) tahun
Diutamakan Sarjana jurusan Sastra / Bahasa Inggris, Komunikasi atau Jurnalistik.
Diutamakan memiliki pengetahuan & ketrampilan dibidang jurnalistik
TOEFL Score min. 450.
Dapat mengoperasikan komputer dengan baik
Bersedia bekerja shift
Sehat jasmani & rohani, dibuktikan dengan Surat Keterangan. Sehat & Surat Bebas Narkoba.

Kirim Surat Lamaran, Daftar Riwayat Hidup, Pas Foto (3x4), dan Salinan TOEFL Score ke:

Departemen SDM LKBN ANTARA
Wisma Antara Lt.19
Jl. Merdeka Selatan No. 17
Jakarta 10110

Atau Email: [email]personalia@antara.co.id[/email]
Paling lambat dua minggu setelah tanggal pemasangan iklan ini.

is this job vacancy still available?
I've sent my cv, thx in advance.D
named50 - 29/05/2012 05:00 PM
Lowongan penerjemah in-house, Indo > Eng
For those interested in applying as in-house translator, please check this link. Thanks in advance.

http://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?t=7580286

PS: any questions regarding the job should be asked directly to the mentioned link above.

Thanks for TS.
Jono.Joni - 30/05/2012 07:40 PM

hi guys,

i have just starting out doing translation job, though it happened by accident because since i moved back to indonesia, i realized we are still behind in terms of proper english and grammar. as i often see on busway, tv ads, newspaper ads.. so i began offering my service on kaskus, just for fun and i needed something to do while waiting for call back from my job applications.

I did a few job, some were hard ones and some were just a breeze. though my degree is in finance but i enjoy english language as well as others such as spanish and france (i dont speak france but think it is a very sexy language) so I asked for feedback fom my "clients" and overall they are happy with my work. and I gotta say, though i'm not in it entirely for the money but I feel this is something i really enjoy and the money is good enough for me to support my everyday activities and needs plus it is a great feeling knowing that I am doing something that helps people (some of them were just clueless of what they have to read and understand before I translated the material).

thanks for the tips you have compiled and written, i have a few things ask though, how sustainable is this job? and how do i improve my skills as a translator?

my background has nothing to do with english, i majored in finance but i had this experience in college when i had to "relearn" english when i realized my english was not good enough to survive in the university and i learned it in the hard way and I actually am glad that i had those moments as now I am much better at it than i was 3 years ago and it helped me alot too when i had to work as a server in a cafe back in houston (people often thought i was asian american). It all paid off, but i need keep learning especially now i that im back in indonesia, i just don't want my english to get rusty. And some hard ones that I had made me realize this job just aint about
english but ability to adapt to topic of the materials given to me. when it is hard it is very hard but at the same time i realize i am actually learning something new and it might be useful in the future

ilineZ - 31/05/2012 12:31 AM
PAR-TIMER NEEDED- event base, Jakarta
Looking for partimer.
an event in Jakarta (31 August-5 Sept +/-2days)
requirement:
-Must be able to communicate well in English (you need to work with ppl from various countries)
-Able to work for the whole week event
-Preferably base in Jakarta (coz the transport is not provided)
-Will be assigned for various task depend on organizer decision (such as: kids zone,sales booth, exhibition, water station)
-Serious part-timer only
PM me for more info.
Ambrosiana - 31/05/2012 11:39 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By rosulovers
Hi ambro, always glad to see one who has the same vision and dream with us, such like what im talking, i mean typing to. D
I had a meeting with Alex last night, gosh, he is kind of person who always overwhelmingly open to, in my guess may be, every person who he met.
it only needs two hours meeting to barely open my eyes and mind that i had left a rich world of creativity for several years, and now you and him successfully pull up my translating motivation from the deep drowning #sorrylebay D deeply want to come back. He gave me a kind of short test last night, and i hopefully can satisfy his requirement.
thanx again ambro, I dream about having such mentors like you guys, and translator career for sure ... :thumbup

Ah, I'm also proud if my recommendation is useful for you... malus
He's the right man. Some people became his apprentices and they are all success now.
Someday I will follow people's trace, ask for his wisdom in Pasuruan matabelo:
Quote:
Original Posted By Jono.Joni
hi guys,

i have just starting out doing translation job, though it happened by accident because since i moved back to indonesia, i realized we are still behind in terms of proper english and grammar. as i often see on busway, tv ads, newspaper ads.. so i began offering my service on kaskus, just for fun and i needed something to do while waiting for call back from my job applications.

I did a few job, some were hard ones and some were just a breeze. though my degree is in finance but i enjoy english language as well as others such as spanish and france (i dont speak france but think it is a very sexy language) so I asked for feedback fom my "clients" and overall they are happy with my work. and I gotta say, though i'm not in it entirely for the money but I feel this is something i really enjoy and the money is good enough for me to support my everyday activities and needs plus it is a great feeling knowing that I am doing something that helps people (some of them were just clueless of what they have to read and understand before I translated the material).

thanks for the tips you have compiled and written, i have a few things ask though, how sustainable is this job? and how do i improve my skills as a translator?

my background has nothing to do with english, i majored in finance but i had this experience in college when i had to "relearn" english when i realized my english was not good enough to survive in the university and i learned it in the hard way and I actually am glad that i had those moments as now I am much better at it than i was 3 years ago and it helped me alot too when i had to work as a server in a cafe back in houston (people often thought i was asian american). It all paid off, but i need keep learning especially now i that im back in indonesia, i just don't want my english to get rusty. And some hard ones that I had made me realize this job just aint about
english but ability to adapt to topic of the materials given to me. when it is hard it is very hard but at the same time i realize i am actually learning something new and it might be useful in the future

Related with your question:

how sustainable is this job?
I think as long as people still couldn't create a translator machine with human reasoning, we still safe ngakaks
I have authentic source related with Google's research about artificial intelligence - they still had trouble in making their machine learn from experience and feel such as human nerves... They still try to apply prefrontal lobe's ability to machine.
However, their accuracy using statistic reasoning and translation memory is terrifying takuts

how do i improve my skills as a translator?
With your skill, I think you just have to improve your skill in using CAT Tools and enrich your relation with other agencies, translators, and institutions which needs translation service.
Feel free to visit HPI group in Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/36838612269/
Also Bahtera Milis in: www.bahtera.org
You'll get more insight about translation world there D

kravivanya - 06/06/2012 05:17 PM

translator? i hate translator,

dont be mad sire, but i dont have a deep compassion for a translator because they're screwin up the original and made the translation lost its soul... and meaning

when i read translation book such as harlequin or twilight series, the soul-lost-irony is not bad, because i dont have any difficulities in visualize such a light material

but when it comes to an important textbook, its a real nightmare. if you read a textbook about engineering you'll encounter a misconception gap that the translator means something, but the original writer means something else! try to read elektromagnetika telekomunikasi and compare it with the original which was wrote by the William H. Hayt...
Page 32 of 36 | ‹ First  < 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)