ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 34 of 36 | ‹ First  < 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 > 

BoyFromHell - 08/06/2012 09:22 PM

i'm still bad in English
is the grammar used in translating word ?
SooYouTiff - 08/06/2012 09:49 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By BoyFromHell
i'm still bad in English

yes it is ...
Ambrosiana - 08/06/2012 10:35 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By SooYouTiff
thanks, oh Ambrosi .. can u tell me the TIPS to become a good Translator ... u know .. if ur wrong in translating, the story or maybe the meaning will be crash ... so .. the Tips to be a good translator like what ?

Hmm, in my opinion, nothing can replace experience...
The more you translate a material, the more you will develop
You should also learn the subject you translated...
For example, in your case, translating manga - if you tried to translate Historie, it would be difficult if you don't have basic knowledge about philosophy and history...

Quote:
Original Posted By BoyFromHell
i'm still bad in English

Quote:
Original Posted By SooYouTiff
yes it is ...

If you specialize on English >-- Indonesia, Grammar won't be matter much...
Knowledge about Vocabularies and terms are more important D
p1nk3d_books - 08/06/2012 11:33 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By kravivanya
yessir, i have to rewrite the chapter i have to learn and try to sinthesize what the real idea behind the symbol and word he/she was wrote.

insult? do you ever feel any sarcasm or critics in my opinion? why you tell me to get out from here and face the mis-interpreted books and article? am i dont have any right at all to criticize your work? i have translate many journal and books (not a whole book) in order to correct several critical parts which go south in translation.

joy and sorrow? have you know about the joy and sorrow about reading the faulted interpreted books? you dont have to face your mentor and debating about the definition which is so different from the original and the translated one.

i think you just a lil bit arrogant sire, but you have to know that in your works lies responsibilities to "translate" the idea, not to mislead your reader and make our job harder. since we pay for the books, we have rights to get something in return. and one thing: i dont expect such as harsh response from someone with so many reputation and special honored member. dont you know that your manner in response is so RUDE?

even when i came to DC which filled by kaskus lowest barrel water they never tell me to bug off like this.

if you ask apologies, okay i give it: i'm sorry, i came to the wrong thread to criticize your fellow and i will carry the "joy and sorrow" about reading mis-interpreted books somewhere else.

thankyou sir!

Well, I'm known for my straightforwardness here and I AM rude to those who DESERVE it. So no surprise here. Ask anyone around here about my reputation. You're lucky I didn't use any 'bad word'. And my tag doesn't have anything to do with this. Just because I have a tag, doesn't mean I have to be quiet when insulted.

I don't feel any 'sorrow' when reading crappy translation work. I just put myself in their shoes, think how I would translate the phrase/sentence/whatever. If it's too bad, I would ask myself, how in the world s/he can get accepted as a translator but it's the publisher/editor's problem, not mine. Besides, for every one bad translator, there are dozens good ones. If his work is crappy, that's part of the editor's fault also. How come it can pass his editing process?
Why do you feel the need to debate the 'definition' with your mentor? The work's done, it's printed already, it's distributed already. Isn't it just too late? Gosh, do you really have so much time that you need to SCRUTINIZE every translation work out there?

You said you enjoy the originals more, then do it. If it pains you to read translation works, then no need to read anything translated. Nobody ask you to, except when it's your job. And even if it's your job, if you don't like it, then just quit. It's not like your hands are tied and you are forced to do it, duh! nohope:
But remember, English is a foreign language in our country. If everybody has the same opinion just like you, "oh the translation works are just crappy! Don't bother to read it! Or even more, don't bother to even do translation work!" I think Indonesia would be left behind even more. People can't enjoy those nice and good books, like 'Who Moved my Cheese', '7 Habits', 'Don't Sweat the Small Stuff', 'Chicken Soup', etc.

And our translation world has also developed even more. Those English words are now have the Bahasa equivalent. 'Online', 'offline', 'mouse', 'website'. Do you want to use words that is derived from another language all the time? Dude, where's your patriotism?

And one thing, don't call me 'sire'. I'm a female.

@Ambro:
Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Ah Sir, by all respect... You know since we're in a Forum which most of people are anonymous...
You know we assess a person by their posts...

So I have to say... the way you jumped in is in fact impolite...
Started a line with sentences like:

I think it's a natural for Sis Pinkie saying that thing... (What do you expect from a guess who coming and said they hate the host?...)
Because your sentence were too much generalizing and accusing the profession (you mention 'translator', right?)

I myself felt uncomfortable though I tried to avoid that and changed the subject...

No one will be evicted from DC just because being rude [COLOR="White"]because people are free to be rude there... malu:

You have right to criticize the translator who translated the work that you considered mess

Criticized all translators in a Forum is not wise and exaggerating D[/COLOR]

This is pure gold!! Ambro FTW!! D
kravivanya - 09/06/2012 12:24 PM

sorrt ma'am i cant quote your post properly due to faulty hardware.

i never mean to insult you but in my work against translation work there a whole painful task to redefine the real definition from yhe originals and from the ranslation. they use word kilat for sprite. but in the real definition kilat and sprite have difference parameter. they use dua sumbu instead of coaxial and that made a whole lot difference! did thou think i have enough time to scrutinize every work out there?

no ma'am but i spent a whole lot time to read my translation manuals and books especially in weapon and electrical engineering and you cant compare that in translatin the harlequin books

you really need basic knowledge in engineering since almost all engineer is not a good writer. and a single mis interpreted words means a lot.

have you ever think about that? why i came here and fly my frustation? because i dont know where to throw the bricks! because y'all have to know the consequences of your work so at least whoever read my post which work as translator realize that they have huge responsibilities! its not a chicken soup book or some kind of harlequin! i talking about education textbooks.

if you. miss pinked still think about i came here to insult her job. no i wasnt.. because i dont insult translation in any harlequin and teenlit. am i clear ma'am?
Anshar - 09/06/2012 01:08 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By kravivanya
sorrt ma'am i cant quote your post properly due to faulty hardware.

i never mean to insult you but in my work against translation work there a whole painful task to redefine the real definition from yhe originals and from the ranslation. they use word kilat for sprite. but in the real definition kilat and sprite have difference parameter. they use dua sumbu instead of coaxial and that made a whole lot difference! did thou think i have enough time to scrutinize every work out there?

no ma'am but i spent a whole lot time to read my translation manuals and books especially in weapon and electrical engineering and you cant compare that in translatin the harlequin books

you really need basic knowledge in engineering since almost all engineer is not a good writer. and a single mis interpreted words means a lot.

have you ever think about that? why i came here and fly my frustation? because i dont know where to throw the bricks! because y'all have to know the consequences of your work so at least whoever read my post which work as translator realize that they have huge responsibilities! its not a chicken soup book or some kind of harlequin! i talking about education textbooks.

if you. miss pinked still think about i came here to insult her job. no i wasnt.. because i dont insult translation in any harlequin and teenlit. am i clear ma'am?

With all due respect,.

Please take a look at your first post where you wrote [B]"I HATE TRANSLATOR"[/B]

Are you referring that sentence to all Indonesian translators??
kravivanya - 09/06/2012 10:41 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Anshar
With all due respect,.

Please take a look at your first post where you wrote [B]"I HATE TRANSLATOR"[/B]

oh i got your point sir: i should write: i hate all of the translator of my textbooks.

thank you sir,
kravivanya - 09/06/2012 10:43 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Anshar
With all due respect,.

oh i got your point sir: i should write: i hate all of the translator of my textbooks.

thank you sir,
aghagennadi - 18/06/2012 05:04 PM

MR. ambros.. malu:

do you still remember me? D

by the way, any plan to come to kopdar RM tommorow? (wednesday)

sory OOT
Ambrosiana - 19/06/2012 10:29 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By aghagennadi
MR. ambros.. malu:

sory OOT

Hi Aghagennadi... Sure I remember you, although people said I remember girls better hammer:
About private business, feel free to text me in 0857 3040 3162 ;)
Ambrosiana - 19/06/2012 10:32 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By aghagennadi
MR. ambros.. malu:

sory OOT

Hi Aghagennadi... Sure I remember you, although people said I remember girls better hammer:
About private business, feel free to text me in 0857 3040 3162 ;)
Loyz.D - 21/06/2012 06:24 PM

*phew* it's been a while since my last post in this thread...

I think I've missed a lot of useful information here... (including those related to job vacancy \( )

Umm... today after a lot of search, I finally found the installer for a collocations dictionary and I have uploaded it on a local server. Feel free to download it here, my fellow translators.

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books

And our translation world has also developed even more. Those English words are now have the Bahasa equivalent. 'Online', 'offline', 'mouse', 'website'. Do you want to use words that is derived from another language all the time? Dude, where's your patriotism?

My apology, sis Pink3d, but I beg to differ about this issue. According to my opinion, sometimes it's still okay to borrow some foreign words although we already have the equivalent in the target language to make it more understandable for the target readers (especially for those whose equivalents are not yet familiar in target language).

for example, when we say "PBB" we will know immediately that it is a translation from "UN".

however, in another case, we might confuse our reader when we translate "ASEAN" into "PERBARA" (in fact, I've just known that we have this word for ASEAN from one of my acquaintances today hammer\). Because it's not yet popular...

another example is when we translate "effective&efficient" into "sangkil&mangkus", or when, in order to show our love towards our mother language, we choose to use "zat asam arang" instead of "karbon dioksida" for "carbon dioxyde".. our translation might make the readers more confused. On the other hand, as a translator I believe it is our mission to make readers understand the message/information that was written in a language that is not accessible for them...

my point is that sometimes it's not really a bad thing to use loan words in translation. it's not because we don't have any patriotism or whatsoever but because we want to make our translation becomes more readable for our target readers... Peace:
jaya28inside - 22/06/2012 03:46 PM
== sharing ==
wah, lama ana ga repost over here...
but, sharing a bit is better rather than doing nothing.... How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

Spoiler for Come & Join ya
nengmemew - 25/06/2012 12:05 PM

I got an e-mail from a translator agency, she asks me few specific questions about my personality. But, I still confuse about the questions, these are the questions:

1. Your daily capacity of output (English-Indonesian) - most of us works well with over 4,000 words per day on both languages.

2. What CAT tools are you using at the moment? Are you familiar with WordFast, MemoQ, or Trados Studio 2011? If not, judging from the interface (presented mostly at their websites with downloadable trials), are you ready to take on projects using these tools?

3. Are you a regular web crawler? How many hours do you spend in front of your desktop, daily? Any Facebook, Twitter, blogs, or YM ID?

4. Do you have any particular interest in some specialized translation, such as medical, engineeering, transcreation, UI localization, interfaces, IT, etc? If not, are you planning to pick one in the future?

5. What kind of improvement have you perform in order to pick up with this profession? Have you joined Bahtera, HPI, or other translator's organization? Are you familiar/own a BlackBerry, Android, hi-spec computers, scanners, printers, original software, etc? Should you haven't been able to obtain these, do you believe in originality of software in improving your work and credibility?

6. Are you involved in one of the foreign translation agencies existing? If yes, how much do you charge per word in cents USD?
tonnyc - 25/06/2012 02:18 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By nengmemew
I got an e-mail from a translator agency, she asks me few specific questions about my personality. But, I still confuse about the questions, these are the questions:

(questions snipped)

Seems straightforward to me. Which part has you confused and why? Which translation agency is this? Can you be more specific?
nengmemew - 25/06/2012 03:57 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By tonnyc

(questions snipped)

Seems straightforward to me. Which part has you confused and why? Which translation agency is this? Can you be more specific?

I don't know CAT tools, web crawlers mean
and I don't know how to measure my skill in both language (quest no.1)
p1nk3d_books - 25/06/2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

1. Then answer that you're not familiar with any CAT tools available out there.
2. Web crawler means do you often visit certain sites? What are they? How many hours do you spent visiting those sites?
3. How many words can you translate in one day?

==========

On second thought, this is easily solved by... googling! *gasp* ahem o, yes, google solves everything....
tonnyc - 25/06/2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

CAT is Computer Aided Translation.

It's basically a software that "remembers" what certain phrases means based on your old translation. E.g., if, using a CAT software you once translated "et cetera" into "dan lain-lain", then whenever it sees "et cetera" next time, it will automatically replace it with "dan lain-lain". It is not very accurate and you still need to edit everything later, but it can speed up your translation.

In a way, Google Translate is a CAT software with a gigantic amount of memory.

For the "web crawler" question, that's just asking you how often you surf the net. How much time do you spend on facebook, kaskus, Google, wikipedia, etc.?

And the first question is asking you more about the quantity rather than quality. Translation is usually calculated by the word (we here in Indonesia is actually a bit odd in calculating them by the page). So, how many words can you translate in a day? Your typical double-spaced, size 11 font, A4 page probably has an average of 200-250 words/page, so 4000 words/day is about 16-20 pages/day.
nengmemew - 25/06/2012 04:24 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books

1. Then answer that you're not familiar with any CAT tools available out there.
2. Web crawler means do you often visit certain sites? What are they? How many hours do you spent visiting those sites?
3. How many words can you translate in one day?

==========

On second thought, this is easily solved by... googling! *gasp* ahem o, yes, google solves everything....

Quote:
Original Posted By tonnyc

CAT is Computer Aided Translation.

It's basically a software that "remembers" what certain phrases means based on your old translation. E.g., if, using a CAT software you once translated "et cetera" into "dan lain-lain", then whenever it sees "et cetera" next time, it will automatically replace it with "dan lain-lain". It is not very accurate and you still need to edit everything later, but it can speed up your translation.

In a way, Google Translate is a CAT software with a gigantic amount of memory.

For the "web crawler" question, that's just asking you how often you surf the net. How much time do you spend on facebook, kaskus, Google, wikipedia, etc.?

And the first question is asking you more about the quantity rather than quality. Translation is usually calculated by the word (we here in Indonesia is actually a bit odd in calculating them by the page). So, how many words can you translate in a day? Your typical double-spaced, size 11 font, A4 page probably has an average of 200-250 words/page, so 4000 words/day is about 16-20 pages/day.

thx guys
jchristie - 26/06/2012 02:37 PM

Although their ad is definitely very straightforward and surprisingly short (compared to the usual job ads I forwarded here), there's no hurt in trying:

=========================================================

Kindly relay these vacant positions:

A dedicated Public Relation Agency for corporate and social development project are looking for:

(1) PR Officer to manage client's PR planning and execution and maintain media relationship. Fresh graduate or 1 year experience

(2) Translator who familiar with IT jargon. Experience min 1 year. Live in North or Central Jakarta.

Please submit your CV ONLY to this e-add: [email]hrd@united-comm.com[/email]
Deadline: July 5th, 2012

=========================================================
Page 34 of 36 | ‹ First  < 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)