ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 35 of 36 | ‹ First  < 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 > 

nengmemew - 27/06/2012 02:30 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By jchristie
Although their ad is definitely very straightforward and surprisingly short (compared to the usual job ads I forwarded here), there's no hurt in trying:

=========================================================

Kindly relay these vacant positions:

A dedicated Public Relation Agency for corporate and social development project are looking for:

(1) PR Officer to manage client's PR planning and execution and maintain media relationship. Fresh graduate or 1 year experience

(2) Translator who familiar with IT jargon. Experience min 1 year. Live in North or Central Jakarta.

Please submit your CV ONLY to this e-add: [email]hrd@united-comm.com[/email]
Deadline: July 5th, 2012

thanks bro, I just sent my cv this morning n they call me for an interview on next monday. Wish me luck! D
englishtest - 27/06/2012 10:50 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Hi Aghagennadi... Sure I remember you, although people said I remember girls better hammer:
About private business, feel free to text me in 0857 3040 3162 ;)

hai bro, still remember me? D
i wanna join this EF, but i don't know where i should post first. malus
then maybe, this your thread, and i wanna sk for your permission D

Paws: fadli
Ambrosiana - 27/06/2012 11:05 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By englishtest
hai bro, still remember me? D
i wanna join this EF, but i don't know where i should post first. malus
then maybe, this your thread, and i wanna sk for your permission D

Paws: fadli

Gwahahahah... Just have a conversation in English Forum Lounge...
I think you've visited the place several times... D

Btw, I already considered you as one of English Forum citizens D
Don't worry Fadly ;)
englishtest - 27/06/2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Gwahahahah... Just have a conversation in English Forum Lounge...
I think you've visited the place several times... D

Btw, I already considered you as one of English Forum citizens D
Don't worry Fadly ;)

oke bro.. D
i haven't visited EF yet, since i don't have any bravery or maybe just remember about the past capedes

ok then, am i breaking the rule to post another topic here? malus
Ambrosiana - 27/06/2012 11:19 PM

Quote:
oke bro.. D
i haven't visited EF yet, since i don't have any bravery or maybe just remember about the past capedes

ok then, am i breaking the rule to post another topic here? malus

Hmmm... Actually not...
However, people who used to visit this thread mostly translators ;)
I'm afraid that topic outside translation wouldn't be interesting for them ;)
englishtest - 27/06/2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Hmmm... Actually not...
However, people who used to visit this thread mostly translators ;)
I'm afraid that topic outside translation wouldn't be interesting for them ;)

then i think the next visit of mine here should be about translating words? D
i see the lounge get silence since 10 AM.
Ambrosiana - 27/06/2012 11:43 PM

Quote:
then i think the next visit of mine here should be about translating words? D
i see the lounge get silence since 10 AM.

Oh, people used to share their experience and projects in translating here...
Feel free to do it, since I heard you several times also received translation project although its not your major D

Ooh... The Lounge is quiet because most junkers now busy for University registration...
It's amazing how three people from top five junkers were graduated from High School at the same time... Espada Panthera, GeniusDexter, and ColorPandora ngakaks
That's why the lounge is so quiet right now...
englishtest - 27/06/2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Oh, people used to share their experience and projects in translating here...
Feel free to do it, since I heard you several times also received translation project although its not your major D

Ooh... The Lounge is quiet because most junkers now busy for University registration...
It's amazing how three people from top five junkers were graduated from High School at the same time... Espada Panthera, GeniusDexter, and ColorPandora ngakaks
That's why the lounge is so quiet right now...

yes, i was a translator years ago.. D
and i was also called as walking translator.. malus
but i think by time, my ability is decreasing since i don't practice it long time.
anyway, i don't recognize any of them, but yeah i will do some introduction D

Good Night and thanks bro, btw i have to go PPL next morning moon:
Ambrosiana - 28/06/2012 12:04 AM

Quote:
yes, i was a translator years ago.. D
and i was also called as walking translator.. malus
but i think by time, my ability is decreasing since i don't practice it long time.
anyway, i don't recognize any of them, but yeah i will do some introduction D

Good Night and thanks bro, btw i have to go PPL next morning moon:

Aah... Have a nice sleep, Fadly... \matabelo:/
jchristie - 04/07/2012 05:13 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By nengmemew
thanks bro, I just sent my cv this morning n they call me for an interview on next monday. Wish me luck! D

NICE Sis, I wonder how's the interview went...... here's another post for any law students with sound English;

*AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION RULE OF LAW INITIATIVE (ABA ROLI)*
*INTERNSHIP OPENING*
Indonesia Office

Deadline for applications: July 10, 2012
Start date: July 16, 2012
Period: 3 months

The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (“ABA ROLI”) is a non-governmental organization of the American Bar Association, which for 25 years has promoted the rule of law worldwide in collaboration with local partners. ABA ROLI’s three-year program ‘Strengthening ASEAN's Human Rights System’ works to build the involvement of the legal profession in the ASEAN human rights system.

*Internship description*
ABA ROLI is currently seeking a full-time intern to work on ABA ROLI’s program ‘Strengthening ASEAN's Human Rights System’. The internship placement is for three months starting in July 2012 and ending in September 2012.

The intern will be supervised by ABA ROLI Program Manager. The intern will primarily focus on monitoring current events related to human rights issues in Southeast Asia region, assisting with research, and responding to inquiries. The intern will also assist with some administrative tasks and translation assignments. The intern will be based in Jakarta.

The intern will get an allowance of IDR 150.000 per day of attendance which will cover travel expenses and lunch.

*Qualification*
The internship is open to law students and newly qualified law graduates. Applicants should be well-organized, self-motivated, and reliable, with a strong interest in human rights and current affairs in Southeast Asia. Fluency or high level of proficiency in English is required. Familiarity with Southeast Asia and human rights are highly desirable. Computer skills (*i.e.*, Microsoft Office, Internet applications) are required.

*How to Apply*
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and a brief unedited writing sample of no more than 2,000 words to; [email]aba.roli.ind@gmail.com[/email] by July 10, 2012. Please put “ABA ROLI Internship Application” as the subject of your email. ABA ROLI will only contact shortlisted candidates.**

PS : Dear Ambro, I hope this ad still qualifies in this beloved thread? If not, lemme know . . .
Astraios - 07/07/2012 09:49 AM

Translator..A kind of a job I've never thought before..So after reading a bit from the first page,I assume that it is an unique job yet with a flexible hours..So tell me a liitle bit about,you know,the salary of this job..I know it varies but what I mean is the minimum and the maximum salary you can get from working as a translator..
Ambrosiana - 07/07/2012 10:25 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Astraios
Translator..A kind of a job I've never thought before..So after reading a bit from the first page,I assume that it is an unique job yet with a flexible hours..So tell me a liitle bit about,you know,the salary of this job..I know it varies but what I mean is the minimum and the maximum salary you can get from working as a translator..

Ahem... All I can say is, I still often meet translator in Malang working a page with IDR 5000 for Eng - Ind...
I think that's the lowest.
About the highest, as far as I know I ever heard Mrs Sofia Mansoor receive USD 14 only for a paragraph translation.
Then I once heard the official record for one project income (which took several days work) was held by Ahnan Alex who received about IDR 60 million from it hammer:
This aggregate still be a homework for HPI (Association of Indonesian Translators)... They tried their best to improve translators' wealth in Indonesia D
Theist - 07/07/2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Ahem... All I can say is, I still often meet translator in Malang working a page with IDR 5000 for Eng - Ind...
I think that's the lowest.
About the highest, as far as I know I ever heard Mrs Sofia Mansoor receive USD 14 only for a paragraph translation.
Then I once heard the official record for one project income (which took several days work) was held by Ahnan Alex who received about IDR 60 million from it hammer:
This aggregate still be a homework for HPI (Association of Indonesian Translators)... They tried their best to improve translators' wealth in Indonesia D

It's really interesting to learn about this job. And would you tell us more about how to get a translation-job from a book publisher? Thank you.
p1nk3d_books - 07/07/2012 11:59 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Theist
It's really interesting to learn about this job. And would you tell us more about how to get a translation-job from a book publisher? Thank you.

I think the tips compiled in page one is sufficient enough?
Have you read them? \)
Ambrosiana - 07/07/2012 12:06 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Theist

Uwoogh... It's a hard part.
FYI, since 2010 I diligently send my CV and cover letters to many publishers in Indonesia (at least once a month - when I found an interesting publisher). Some of them sent me a test, but most of them not \(
One of editors who once worked for me said, when I did test for publisher, they would store my name and CV, then when they needed, they would contact me... Sounds unfair, but that's the game-rule

In my opinion, once you've given a chance, you should tried hard to satisfy the Editor. That will give you bigger opportunity to work again with the editor.... It works for As Salam publisher which hired me to work second book project from them ;)

However, if you wanted bigger payment, I think it would be better to apply to a well-known Translation Agency (Probahasa is one of the most famous) - It will give you a chance to get higher rate...
However, knowledge about CAT tools absolutely needed here... D
Astraios - 08/07/2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Uwoogh... It's a hard part.
FYI, since 2010 I diligently send my CV and cover letters to many publishers in Indonesia (at least once a month - when I found an interesting publisher). Some of them sent me a test, but most of them not \(
One of editors who once worked for me said, when I did test for publisher, they would store my name and CV, then when they needed, they would contact me... Sounds unfair, but that's the game-rule

In my opinion, once you've given a chance, you should tried hard to satisfy the Editor. That will give you bigger opportunity to work again with the editor.... It works for As Salam publisher which hired me to work second book project from them ;)

However, if you wanted bigger payment, I think it would be better to apply to a well-known Translation Agency (Probahasa is one of the most famous) - It will give you a chance to get higher rate...
However, knowledge about CAT tools absolutely needed here... D

So Ambrosiana,I assume that from 11 category of translation work that you tell us,back in the first page,you are a translator,right?So if that's true, is this job (translator) only focusing on translating a script?what kind of script?and one more question I'd like to ask you,Is it okay to shift from one kind of work to another? what I am trying to say is, can we cover all this 11 category of translation work..so that our job can be more varies? because it seems to me that,once you mastered your english,everything can be done easily.
Ambrosiana - 10/07/2012 12:15 AM

Hmm, I'll try to answer it one by one...
Quote:
So Ambrosiana,I assume that from 11 category of translation work that you tell us,back in the first page,you are a translator,right?

You just have to back to my avatar hammer:
Yes, I'm a translator ngakaks

Quote:

So if that's true, is this job (translator) only focusing on translating a script?

Translation (Penerjemahan) is a term for translating written material. But you're right, it can be said as translating a script hammer:
[COLOR="White"]I'm afraid loc won't agree about 'script' term ngacir:

Quote:

what kind of script?

It can be varies, depend on each person's interest and mastery. For example, Sis Pinkie is undoubtable a great novel and literature translator.
While deepoceanblue specifically a legal translator who often deal with legal documents.

Quote:

and one more question I'd like to ask you,Is it okay to shift from one kind of work to another? what I am trying to say is, can we cover all this 11 category of translation work..so that our job can be more varies? because it seems to me that,once you mastered your english,everything can be done easily.

Depend on the difficulties, I think number (1) is the easiest, then number (9) is the hardest work. number (10) and (11) needs different qualification, but yes, you can do all if you have the skill.
I think Tonny and Sis Pinkie won't agree about "once you mastered your English, everything can be done easily"
Because translating needs more than knowledge. You need experience, good sense toward language, etc which you cannot gain easily just after mastering English skill.
That's what differed a fresh-graduated of English Department with an experienced senior translator.
I mean, Sis Pinkie might forget one or two subjects which a fresh-graduated can easily remember, but don't ask about translation quality between them... D[/COLOR]
jchristie - 10/07/2012 11:34 PM
Internship as TRANSLATOR
Internship Position : Translator
Organization : Mercy Corps
Timeline :July-August 31, 2012 (2 MONTHS)

Objective of Internship

The primary purpose of this internship is to provide opportunities for undergraduate/graduate students to gain professional working experience; to receive a professional mentoring and to establish professional networks in international development fields.

This internship requires the selected candidate to assist translation of case studies on health market innovations and other health project documents as assign. The selected candidate must be able to convert the written word from English to Bahasa Indonesia (vice versa) ensuring the original meaning is retained. In addition,familiarity with health and international development issues is an advantage.

This internship provides monthly travel allowance for the selected candidate.

Required Tasks

· Assist the health team to translate six case studies on health market innovations from English to Bahasa Indonesia.
· Assist the health team to translate other health documents from English to Bahasa Indonesia (vice versa) as assign.

Minimum requirements

· Fresh graduate (S1/S2) on related subject(s) or undertaking the undergraduate degree (S1)/graduate degree.
· Excellent communication skills, including writing, proof reading skills, and speaking.
· Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments from a variety of staff and volunteers.
· Familiarity with private sector, NGO, government roles in Indonesian health system.
· Proficient in Bahasa Indonesia and English.
· Ability to accomplish projects with little supervision.
· Proficient using the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and mail merges; email and web searches.
· Tolerant and flexible to work in a difficult and stressful environment and multi-cultural setting

Please send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples (English and Indonesian) to: [email]amaharani@id.mercycorps.org[/email]

Application deadline: July 15th, 2012
misterdon - 18/07/2012 01:34 AM
Newbie on the Thread
Whoa... I couldn't even imagine that such a thread like this actually exists on Kaskus... and darn, I shooda found out about it earlier....

Firstly, knock... knock... Don here... a newbie on the thread... I'm an English Trainer for a foreign company and have been a translator myself. Got my full membership with HPI last year, and have been here and there, out and about trying to make my mark in this vast world of translation business...

So... pardon me for this seemingly not-so-bright question, but is this the only forum where translators (junior, senior, soon-to-be and everyone else in between) gather up and talk about this world we are so fond of? I'd be more than willing to join up, share, and learn in every single forum available...! (If I'm not slaying the lion at that moment, though.. xixixi)

Anyways, here's my little but nevertheless extremely important thought that I've learnt (the hard way, apparently) in my years as a translator (if no one has mentioned it already):
Always... I repeat... always observe, respect, and meet your deadlines... no excuses... Period!

Once, I failed to meet the agreed deadline, and the impact to my reputation (and self-esteem) was umm... "adverse" (notice I'm trying hard to "soften" the true meaning of the word there). And since then, I've gone to great lengths to never ever let myself be in a position that could potentially put me at risk of missing another deadline.

It's true, people. No matter how good you are or how well-known your reputation is in the market, once you flunk this one, Zzzaaappppp...!!! Back to square one!

So, before you say "hell yes" to a job offer, always ask yourself these questions:

1. Am I capable of finishing the project within its required time frame?
2. Am I working on another project at the moment?
3. Am I familiar with the topic/specialty field at hand?
4. Is the deadline sensible?
5. Do I have anyone who can help me if I find any issues while working on the project?
6. Are all my resources and hardware up to speed for that particular project? (Owning and knowing how to use Trados really helps...!)

A "no" answer to any of the questions above should be a legitimate reason for you to regroup yourself and reconsider about accepting the project. If not, then...may God help you...

Right, so that's all from me at this time... I do hope it's useful for someone. If not, then just ignore my jibber-jabber... D

A wise man once said "He who masters time is the master of his world." I can't agree more to that...!
(Actually, I said that... not some wise man from the Renaissance era... hehehehe).

Go Indonesian translators, Gooooo....!!!!!

Sincerely,
Don
Ambrosiana - 18/07/2012 07:53 AM

^^
Thank you Misterdon and welcome to English Forum, especially to this thread... D
I love your words and I made an index for it to the first page ;)
Page 35 of 36 | ‹ First  < 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 > 
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)