ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 36 of 36 | ‹ First  < 31 32 33 34 35 36

misterdon - 18/07/2012 11:29 AM
Thank you
Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana
^^
Thank you Misterdon and welcome to English Forum, especially to this thread... D
I love your words and I made an index for it to the first page ;)

Aaawww... Thank you for your kind words as well, Ambrosiana... I'm glad you've found my yapping to be helpful... In fact, I'm the one who's so excited to be here.... Can't wait to share and learn together on this wonderful thread...

Don
misterdon - 18/07/2012 11:31 AM
Thank you
Quote:
^^
Thank you Misterdon and welcome to English Forum, especially to this thread... D
I love your words and I made an index for it to the first page ;)

Aaawww... Thank you for your kind words as well, Ambrosiana... I'm glad you've found my yapping to be helpful... In fact, I'm the one who's so excited to be here.... Can't wait to share and learn together on this wonderful thread...

Don
CodeEnthusiast - 21/07/2012 03:13 PM

i hate the idea of becoming as a translator ....

working as a translator means that you have to force your brain to work on two different languages .....

the key to learn english is to act just like a native speaker ...

for those who have mastered english ..it won't be a problem to work as a translator ...

duh bingung sendiri ...gw mau ngomong apa tow ..hammer:
misterdon - 21/07/2012 07:44 PM
Lost "By" Translation
Quote:
Original Posted By CodeEnthusiast
i hate the idea of becoming as a translator ....

working as a translator means that you have to force your brain to work on two different languages .....

the key to learn english is to act just like a native speaker ...

for those who have mastered english ..it won't be a problem to work as a translator ...

duh bingung sendiri ...gw mau ngomong apa tow ..hammer:

Dude... you're so hilarious... you hate the idea of becoming a translator but here you are visiting and posting a comment on a thread which has been dedicated for translators... what's up with that...? confused:

One thing I can guarantee, though... You won't hate becoming a translator anymore once you've learned how much some of us earn in a month... D In fact, you'd pray for a chance to become a translator...! Yb

Translating requires the brain to work on two languages, eh? That's true... (source language > target language)... Do you know another activity that also requires the brain to process two languages? Making love...! (human language > body language)... and believe me, I'm very very good at both... malus

And I won't even imagine how utterly silly it is to "act" (really? act as in "bertingkah laku"...?) like a native speaker as the key to learning English... Strike three, dude...! You're out...! capedes

The key to learning any language is to practice it as often as you can using any means possible... Nothing is more effective than that. Practice makes perfect...

And lastly, it takes a helluva lot more than just mastering English for anyone to work as a successful translator... A lot more... But hey, what we get from translating is, as I said before, a lot...!

So bro... Please throw away your hate towards this wonderful profession and stick around on this thread often... You might learn something useful for a change... I'm sure everyone on this thread agrees with me on this... cendolb
jchristie - 14/08/2012 11:59 AM
[INFO] REQUIRED - Translator/ Interpreter
TRANSLATOR/ INTERPRETER - CHANGES FOR JUSTICE (C4J) PROJECT

Chemonics International Inc., a leading international consulting firm, seeks to fill the following long-term, full-time positions for a project funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Indonesia Changes for Justice (C4J). The primary objective of the C4J project is to improve the performance of Indonesia’s justice system, a prerequisite for good governance and sustained economic growth, through cooperation with the Supreme Court and Attorney General’s Office (AGO) of the Republic of Indonesia.

Specific requirements

The Translator/Interpreter translates internal and official documents for the C4J Project from English into Bahasa Indonesia, and from Bahasa Indonesia into English, including laws, regulations, official project correspondence, reports, news, press releases, presentations, and other project-related documents, as well as providing consecutive and simultaneous interpretation as needed at meetings, trainings, and other events. The Translator/ Interpreter will contribute to all technical aspects of the C4J Project.

The Translator/Interpreter will contribute to all aspects of the C4J project, which includes a range of support for the Supreme Court and Attorney General’s Office (AGO) and their subordinate courts and prosecutors offices. Technical aspects of C4J’s judicial reform work include, but are not limited to, judicial and prosecutorial training, court administration, public information, human resources, budgeting and finance, and information technology.
The Translator/Interpreter will be expected to contribute to the project quarterly reports, annual work plans, and other project reports and deliverable as called for by the occasion.

The Translator/Interpreter will be called upon by the Chief of Party to join C4J project staff on field trips throughout Indonesia.

The Translator/Interpreter will report directly to the Chief of Party or his designate.

Qualifications

The Translator/Interpreter is responsible for ensuring clarity, accuracy and consistency in all project translations, particularly for legal terminologies between English and Bahasa Indonesia. A university degree in law is preferred, and specific experience in legal translation is required. Related training and/or work experience might be substituted for a university degree if the C4J Project determines that the relevant experience is equivalent to the expertise normally associated with the appropriate law degree.

The Translator/Interpreter will have a minimum of 2 (two) years of professional experience with legal translation and interpretation, both consecutive and simultaneous, between English and Bahasa Indonesia is required. Experience working with law firm(s), law school(s), court(s) or other justice sector institutions and/or legal reform projects is required.

Knowledge of technical and/or specialized terms unique to law in English and Bahasa Indonesia, and the ability to use proper legal terminologies, idiomatic phrasing, syntactical structure, and use of words to reflect the meaning of the original document accurately is critical. Knowledge and experience working with other development programs on legal translation is desired. Ability to work effectively with multiple staff in a fast-paced environment, where translation tasks must be effectively managed, is desired. Applicants must be able to produce translated documents in a final format that does not require additional editing and formatting by project staff.

The successful candidate will be comfortable using both quantitative and qualitative information and be able to think analytically and systemically, and reflect that thinking in written documents. Ability to do basic research and analysis in a variety of technical fields relating to the C4J Project, and/or to become familiar with the technical terminology involved in each subject matter field, is required.
Indonesian citizenship is required. Prior experience with technical assistance projects and work with donor-funded projects is preferred. Written and verbal fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia is a prerequisite. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required. Demonstrated skills with software packages such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint are required.

Interested applicants for this position are requested to send a cover letter and resume (references will not be contacted prior to the interview) to [email]us.chemonics@gmail.com[/email] as soon as possible but no later than 24 August 2012 and the vacancy will be open until the position is filled. Please indicate the position in the subject line. Only the strongest candidates will be contacted. No telephone inquiries, please. The successful candidates for these positions will be subject to USAID approval and USAID local salary scales for technical positions.

=========================================================

Chemonics International (www.chemonics.com) was founded in 1975 and is one of the largest U.S. consulting firms providing expertise in developing and emerging-market countries for initiatives financed by USAID.
freshweather - 19/08/2012 07:39 AM

Gan you are awesome. This is the first time I come to this room and wow I found it beneficial for me if I regularly visit this room. Your thread is also very beneficial for others who want to earn money through translating. I wonder, are you an English student before? in specific subject of translating?
zurion - 31/08/2012 11:27 PM

Wow... I'm late see this thread capedes.. Useful for translators. BTW please update continuously in order that others could find it.
Ambrosiana - 01/09/2012 04:44 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By zurion
Wow... I'm late see this thread capedes.. Useful for translators. BTW please update continuously in order that others could find it.

We used to update only related with vacancy hammer:
But feel free to share some tips or anything about translating D
I will put it into first page index.

If there's something you want to ask, feel free to contact me D
misterdon - 13/09/2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

We used to update only related with vacancy hammer:
But feel free to share some tips or anything about translating D
I will put it into first page index.

If there's something you want to ask, feel free to contact me D

Hey hey... how are things goin' over there, bro... D
psiramad - 13/09/2012 12:34 PM

Become a translator is an uncommon job in Indonesia but the job needs some precision with the purpose to represent the ultimate language transition.

Usually people utilizes the translation services if they need to translate any documents that relating to any kind of formal associated documents such as laws or agreements. So the translater need to learn about it gradually. As the matter of fact most of all documents are having the same style of languages even phrase by phrase therefore we could copy paste it. But then again, we need to be more careful on that so we need to read and review it again and again to find its diversity.

You could be a translator in any languages, start from a regular course and then take any language major in the college. After that you have to be learn it again and again not just by learn it but also know its structure and grammar exactly.
jchristie - 24/09/2012 03:41 PM

Astraios - 24/09/2012 07:12 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By jchristie
there's such day - International Translation Day!

what in the blue hell is international translation day?ngakak
Ambrosiana - 03/10/2012 04:40 PM

This post is Rahan's answer about English Teacher in Indonesia.
He answered a question from someone who complained about English Teacher's quality.
It's too good to put on Lounge (which reset regularly) so I brought it here as additional knowledge
Rahan is one of the most dedicated English Teacher as far as I know ;)

Quote:
Original Posted By rahan
well, I don't even know where to start answering this question. capedes But if I may comment just a bit:
Female A: It's so hard to find a good-single guy these days.
Female B: Yeah' they're all taken.
Female A: Or a gay.
Female B: Or a criminal.

What is the purpose of your interview? If you want to recruit a good teacher, and you're serious about that, maybe you should put an ad in Kompas + Jakarta Post, and offer them salary range of 14-20 mil, and they should attach copy of TRF IELTS 8 or 9, plus international teaching qualification be presented as some of your requirements. If you do that, I believe there is a chance that you'll meet cream of the crop (in this business).

All I want to say is people do what they do. Others judge. I have been teaching English for six years now, and I'm pretty sure that I'm nowhere near 'the best teacher,' I'm not even 'a good teacher'. Why? Because when one starts labeling oneself as 'this' or 'that', I believe, 'arrogance' will flow in. In the other hand, labeling is necessary for marketing purpose, but don't let it get to you.

However, if you are only trying to portray the failure of the teacher training institute as a whole, that's an academic matter. You should make a research about that and not an interview. We can judge a teacher as a fail after he/she conducted the program when the program's target is not achieved. You can't judge a teacher as a fail before the program start. A teacher doesn't have to be Mr. know-it-all. If you said that they're not good, may be you mean that they are not answering all your test correctly. That is not an acceptable method to say that one is not a good teacher. That is only a measurement based on your test. By the way, what kind of test did you use? \)bs

One last thing, there is no correlation between graduated from Sastra Inggris and teaching. So why do you even ask them? Those who graduate from English Department, Faculty of Letters, of course, they don't have to be able to speak English fluently. They should be able to analyze literature. And to do that, they don't have to speak English at all. When I was in college, only a few lecturers care enough to give their lecture in English. We discussed Shakespeare, Marlowe, Milton, Edward Said, and Poe, .... in Sundanese and Indonesian.

and now I'm waiting for feedback.. :addfriends iloveindonesias

beer: Thank you my bro. Ambro is always blue ... Yb

Maybe I'll check about your post in the writing thread later tonight.

kick-ass ...? ... An 8-year-old girl once kicked me in the nuts ... It was back then in Manado. That's one of many near-death experiences in my life. I'm not a kick-ass anything. I'm a regular joe. siul:
and after that ... sure enough ...
Spoiler for "this happened"
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world) but of course it was my wife who said the whole 'teaching won't be easy' stuff.
jchristie - 05/10/2012 07:56 PM
Vacancy - fulltime translator - yogya
Those who want to try to work in the NGO environment (in Yogyakarta):

Vacancy : Translator

The 5 years programme Sanitation, Hygiene and Water SHAW programme for East Indonesia runs from April 2010 – December 2014. The programme involves several organisations and institutions. Coordination of the SHAW programme is by SIMAVI, a Dutch NGO.

The SHAW programme targets especially the sanitation and hygiene situation at community level, but will include drinking water as needed. The programme has the 5 pillar STBM policy by the Government of Indonesia as the principal guideline, and is advising the government on how to scale-up. Other activities concern school sanitation, capacity building and coordination, monitoring and sanitation marketing.

The programme is implemented by 5 partner NGOs in communities on Sumba, Timor, Flores, Lombok and Papua, and has its coordination unit in Yogyakarta.
Currently the SHAW office in Yogyakarta is looking for a full-time Translator to support the coordination unit as well as the programme in general.

Job description of the Translator:
1. There are two principal tasks. The first is translation Indonesian – English and English – Indonesian of documents like reports, emails, and letters.
2. The second principal task is interpretation during meetings, also Indonesian – English and English – Indonesian.
3. The translation and interpretation will be irregular and probably not cover 100% of the time. During the time when there is no translation or interpretation needed, the candidate is requested to do some administrative work.
4. The administrative work to perform, will be decided in consultation with the Assistant to the Programme Coordinator
5. The location of the work is usually in the office in Yogyakarta, but travel to other cities will be requested.
6. The translator is under supervision of the Assistant to Programme Coordinator
7. Contract period is 6 months, with the possibility of extension in case of adequate functioning.

Qualifications:
1. Minimum D3 or S1 education level.
2. Speaking and writing English and Bahasa Indonesia fluently and correctly is a must.
3. Having significant experience in translation and in being an interpreter.
4. Having experience in working in a multi-cultural environment i.e. with foreigner and Indonesian citizens from various ethnicity.
5. Having knowledge in water and sanitation is desirable but not mandatory. S/he should learn the terminology and jargon quickly.
6. A fresh graduate with sufficient experience may apply.

The applicant is requested to send a letter, CV, photo and two references by email to [email]shaw.idoffice@gmail.com[/email]. Please put on the email subject “Yourname-Translator”.
Deadline of application: 29 October 2012 at 10.00 a.m.

PS: the same post is made in English Corner Yogyakarta, for obvious reason
Page 36 of 36 | ‹ First  < 31 32 33 34 35 36
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)