ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 4 of 36 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

el_stup1do - 04/05/2011 10:46 PM

'Tis done.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. The previous thread was sorta ambiguous so this would work for the better. Welcome to the new inner sanctum for translators.
Ambrosiana - 04/05/2011 11:30 PM

Oh My God!...
Mod Stu... It's really an honor for me...
From the deepest part of my heart... Thank you...
Thank you too for all Kaskus Translators who have supported me this far in this thread.
Your contributions have made this thread meaningful...
It's really delightful moment for me...

:selamat How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world):selamat

I hope this thread would be useful for all people who want to learn or improve themselves as translator
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
jchristie - 05/05/2011 12:02 AM
congratz.....
@ p1nk3d, FrozenFlame, and Loyz.D - thanks for the additional information on how we charge our translation fee, useful insights!

As for Ambro - congratz on the sticky and big thanks to Mod Stu as well!

better go home now, while it is raining still... ngacir:
Baterism - 05/05/2011 01:45 AM

I left kaskus for just a few days and there are already four pages intense discussion here.beer:

congrats to bro Ambrosiana for the sticky thread. It is pretty neat for people who want to become a translator.

I want to ask one thing regarding in joining translator agency. I'm still in semester 2 in English Literature major, is it possible for me to join translator agency. I was once read a job opening for join translator agency, but they request S1 degree for minimum requirement.
As newbie freelance translator, it is quite hard to find a job. So far, I've only got one job from Gramedia for translating non-fic (military) book. I guess that job was okay, not particularly hard, but I haven't got any feedback from the editor. I've got the payment, but still I don't know whether my job is good or not.

Ugh, I hate being hanged, but I think I better keep moving. Any suggestion for my next step?

One more thing, I've sent my cv to Zahra, but no response at all. Perhaps my skill is bellow their requirement (to be ignored at all is just suck, it would be much better if they sent an email saying I'm stupid and need to study harderhammer\) or maybe I got their email wrong?
Spoiler for alamat email
[email]hrd@zahra.co.id[/email]

Thank's a lot comrade!iloveindonesia

*ps: sorry for the rant
Ambrosiana - 05/05/2011 10:16 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Baterism
I left kaskus for just a few days and there are already four pages intense discussion here.beer:

congrats to bro Ambrosiana for the sticky thread. It is pretty neat for people who want to become a translator.

I want to ask one thing regarding in joining translator agency. I'm still in semester 2 in English Literature major, is it possible for me to join translator agency. I was once read a job opening for join translator agency, but they request S1 degree for minimum requirement.
As newbie freelance translator, it is quite hard to find a job. So far, I've only got one job from Gramedia for translating non-fic (military) book. I guess that job was okay, not particularly hard, but I haven't got any feedback from the editor. I've got the payment, but still I don't know whether my job is good or not.

Ugh, I hate being hanged, but I think I better keep moving. Any suggestion for my next step?

One more thing, I've sent my cv to Zahra, but no response at all. Perhaps my skill is bellow their requirement (to be ignored at all is just suck, it would be much better if they sent an email saying I'm stupid and need to study harderhammer\) or maybe I got their email wrong?
Spoiler for alamat email
[EMAIL=hrd@zahra.co.id]hrd@zahra.co.id[/EMAIL]

Thank's a lot comrade!iloveindonesia

[SIZE="2"]*ps: sorry for the rant

Thank you, baterism.
You're lucky to have experience working for big publisher. As far as I knew, they have their own editor whose job is making correction on your translation result. Sometimes the editor handled so many works, so that there won't be possible for the editor to send correction to all translators. That's what made them seemed 'quiet' after you worked all your parts.

About your CV, well it used to happen.
For your information, a publisher can receive hundreds CV everyday, so they have difficulties in sending a kind of 'feedback'. They used to contact a person who has chosen to work with them. So, no feedback = rejection. It's a common fact in translation world.
If you want to work with Publisher, the steps used to:
1. You send an application letter with CV
2. They send a kind of 'test' through email. You will be given a material to translate in certain time limit.
3. You send back the test and pray that it would satisfy them.
4. If they intend to work with you, they'll send a contract and terms and conditions related with the project
5. If they don't choose you to work with them, they won't say anything.

Ow, related with your status as student. I think many publisher or translation agency didn't care about it. The important thing is your quality, which they would prove by the test they given. So don't be inferior about it. You have a wide open chance.
Sis P1nk who has translated 5 novel for Gramedia also said that:
Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
Bah, I have started translating when I was still in uni. When you're bad, you're bad. ngakaks

So stand up still... Don't give up... Every experience you get in translation world would shape you into better translator!....[/SIZE]
deepoceanblue - 05/05/2011 07:37 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By el_stup1do
'Tis done.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. The previous thread was sorta ambiguous so this would work for the better. Welcome to the new inner sanctum for translators.

ah. i was wondering where the old thread went. ohwell
Baterism - 05/05/2011 10:52 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Thank you, baterism.
You're lucky to have experience working for big publisher. As far as I knew, they have their own editor whose job is making correction on your translation result. Sometimes the editor handled so many works, so that there won't be possible for the editor to send correction to all translators. That's what made them seemed 'quiet' after you worked all your parts.

About your CV, well it used to happen.
For your information, a publisher can receive hundreds CV everyday, so they have difficulties in sending a kind of 'feedback'. They used to contact a person who has chosen to work with them. So, no feedback = rejection. It's a common fact in translation world.
If you want to work with Publisher, the steps used to:
1. You send an application letter with CV
2. They send a kind of 'test' through email. You will be given a material to translate in certain time limit.
3. You send back the test and pray that it would satisfy them.
4. If they intend to work with you, they'll send a contract and terms and conditions related with the project
5. If they don't choose you to work with them, they won't say anything.

Ow, related with your status as student. I think many publisher or translation agency didn't care about it. The important thing is your quality, which they would prove by the test they given. So don't be inferior about it. You have a wide open chance.
Sis P1nk who has translated 5 novel for Gramedia also said that:

So stand up still... Don't give up... Every experience you get in translation world would shape you into better translator!....

I guess I really should just try to submit my cv to some in-house translator offices first. Nothing to lose actually.ngacir2

Wish me luck. Thanks bro!beer:
Monoxdifly - 06/05/2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Hi Monoxdifly... I always remember you... An Enthusiast person in English (who once angry on your lecturer since she didn't allow you to use English directly to express your thought)...
Welcome...How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Actually this is not kind of "Translator Group"... I just try to share some tips about working as a translator, and I really grateful that many of advanced translators from Kaskus supported me and added their thoughts too...

Certainly I would be glad if you also share your personal tips in working... Feel free to share and comment on this thread.

My lecturer I was talking about there is male, so it's "he" instead of "she".
Okay, I understand that this thread isn't a translator group, but as long as it has something to do with the world of translator, I can still learn something from here, right?
Ambrosiana - 06/05/2011 12:30 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By deepoceanblue
ah. i was wondering where the old thread went. ohwell

Mod Stu exchanged it. Feel free to play here deepoceanblue...
Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly
My lecturer I was talking about there is male, so it's "he" instead of "she".
Okay, I understand that this thread isn't a translator group, but as long as it has something to do with the world of translator, I can still learn something from here, right?

Oops, I thought he was a woman...
Sure... Whatever you want to ask or share, feel free to do that...
Monoxdifly - 06/05/2011 03:24 PM

Yayyy... My boss called me just now and he said that I got a translation job... This is my 4th one... :-)
nengmemew - 07/05/2011 07:29 AM

hi

I am a news translator, I have worked for 3 months. But I still need freelance job to support my economy problem :P
I want to try to be subtitler, I have applied to several job vacancies as freelance subtitler but there is no further explanation, d u guys have any? thx b4
Ambrosiana - 07/05/2011 09:50 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By nengmemew
hi

I am a news translator, I have worked for 3 months. But I still need freelance job to support my economy problem :P
I want to try to be subtitler, I have applied to several job vacancies as freelance subtitler but there is no further explanation, d u guys have any? thx b4

Hi Nengmemew

I think you can do some of this steps:
1. You should introduce / promote yourself more. Use some translators sites such as www.proz.com or www.translatorscafe.com. Try also to join Himpunan Penerjemah Indonesia
2. try to join [email]Bahtera@yahoogroups.com[/email]. It is a mailing list group, and sometimes there is a subtitler translator vacancy spread on the milis. But you should be careful. Your inbox would be full. There are about 50-100 letters each day.
3. try to find and introduce yourself to translators who have experienced in subtitler world. They used to overload, so they will share their job to people they knew.

Just wait other translator friends arrived. They might have other fresh opinion.
loc - 07/05/2011 10:08 AM

Quote:
Whoaaaaaaa no no, that was a straightforward question and nothing was implied. I just need a consensus before doing it.

I go all out when I'm being sarcastic.

oopsy.. ngacir:

Quote:
Loc's probably just yanking your chain.

i wasn't. promise! D

Quote:
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Ow.... It's for real!!!....
Ow... Thank you Mod Stu...
[COLOR="White"]My day seems so bright again

Loc, Mod Stu asked it for real...
Uuh... Dasar Loc... Nakut-nakutin aja...

I'm dancing in happiness
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)[/color]

hehehe.. congrats, bro! thumbup: shakehand
nengmemew - 07/05/2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Hi Nengmemew

I think you can do some of this steps:
1. You should introduce / promote yourself more. Use some translators sites such as www.proz.com or www.translatorscafe.com. Try also to join Himpunan Penerjemah Indonesia
2. try to join [email]Bahtera@yahoogroups.com[/email]. It is a mailing list group, and sometimes there is a subtitler translator vacancy spread on the milis. But you should be careful. Your inbox would be full. There are about 50-100 letters each day.
3. try to find and introduce yourself to translators who have experienced in subtitler world. They used to overload, so they will share their job to people they knew.

Just wait other translator friends arrived. They might have other fresh opinion.

thank you sooo much D this is really helpful
jchristie - 07/05/2011 09:58 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By nengmemew
hi

it is said that time bring the best out of every person.....
So, with each time you spent on your job now, learn anything you can from it.
At least, you're doing the 'networking' part by joining EF thumbup:
Get certified or get your name in the map, joined the organization referred by Ambro as mentioned above..... thumbup:thumbup:
Managed your current job, at least you're accustomed into working under pressure as a news translator... thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:

ONWARD, never retreat Dear Sister...!
C-14 - 08/05/2011 10:20 AM

hi guys..
I'm new translator here, honestly i'm still blind bout this kind of job, so i want to ask you guys what kind of program you used to help your translating words, as i read in the net there are many programs like Trados, OmegaT, ect.

I don't know a little about those program even a bit, would you guys tell me what kind of progie that suit or translation ? Is there or not ?

Thanks you all and best regard from me as newbie.. oHow to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
jchristie - 08/05/2011 12:23 PM
translator program, friend of foe?
With regards to the previous posting by C-14, I'll come up with an idea. TRANSLATOR PROGRAM - is it a friend or foe?

Well, I was once using a translator program from R*ks* Trans, bought it for around 900k. Why? Because I want to save times on the initial translation and spend more time in the editing process. Did it help? YES, but not as much as I want it to be. I still need to look at the original material over and over again to make sure the translation is proper.

On the other hand, with various translator software people believe that they don't need a translator. NOT ENTIRELY TRUE, it depends on the software and the final editing. If you are using Google Translator (especially for longer sentences/ paragraph), you will end up with more headache, believe me.

So, friend or foe? it's for you to decide. However, you should not feel inferior compared to this software. This is my marketing line," I will do the translation for you word by word, not simply by hitting a 'translate' button and it's done. It's 'hand-made and personal' translation."

beer:
Ambrosiana - 08/05/2011 03:21 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By C-14
hi guys..
I'm new translator here, honestly i'm still blind bout this kind of job, so i want to ask you guys what kind of program you used to help your translating words, as i read in the net there are many programs like Trados, OmegaT, ect.

I don't know a little about those program even a bit, would you guys tell me what kind of progie that suit or translation ? Is there or not ?

Thanks you all and best regard from me as newbie.. oHow to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

As far as I knew, recently Trados, especially Trados 2007 is the most wanted CAT (Computer-Aided Translation) program. You can see on www.proz.com, there are so many foreign agencies included Trados on their requirement project. In Indonesia, HPI often hold a Trados workshop. You can find the information in www.hpi.or.id, but you should compete with many translators who wanted to follow the workshop too.
For your information, at April 20th, HPI opened a registration for Trados Workshop which would be held at May 20. It cost IDR 600.000, and the quota was only for 50 translators. You know what happened? At April 22nd morning, they had to close the registration since the quota has fulfilled.
Then there was 2nd wave registration for workshop on June. In two days, the quota was also fulfilled. It showed how Trados is the most intended TM program for translation world today.

So, you got to keep your eye on every information. or the best thing you can do is trying to find a good tutor on Trados.
Good Luck C-14

*[SIZE="5"]Additional news for C-14
I found a Trados tutorial (which I previously didn't realize if I have it) among my files. If you have interest to learn it, please PM/VM me your email address. I will send it to yours. It's a 4 Mb PDF File Trados Tutorial from ProZ.

Quote:
Original Posted By jchristie
With regards to the previous posting by C-14, I'll come up with an idea. TRANSLATOR PROGRAM - is it a friend or foe?

Well, I was once using a translator program from R*ks* Trans, bought it for around 900k. Why? Because I want to save times on the initial translation and spend more time in the editing process. Did it help? YES, but not as much as I want it to be. I still need to look at the original material over and over again to make sure the translation is proper.

On the other hand, with various translator software people believe that they don't need a translator. NOT ENTIRELY TRUE, it depends on the software and the final editing. If you are using Google Translator (especially for longer sentences/ paragraph), you will end up with more headache, believe me.

So, friend or foe? it's for you to decide. However, you should not feel inferior compared to this software. This is my marketing line," I will do the translation for you word by word, not simply by hitting a 'translate' button and it's done. It's 'hand-made and personal' translation."

beer:

Nah, jchristie... I agree that the machine's work cannot compare to translator's work, but it happened if you used kind of Translation machine such as google translate, babylon, etc, but I'm sure it would help you much if you use kind of 'Translation Memory' program or popularly called CAT (Computer-Aided Translation) Tool, such as wordfast, Trados, OmegaT, etc. (in Bahtera, people called it "si meong")
How it works?
The CAT works by making Translation Memory - a kind of file which is ready to call if there is similar word in our translation sheet. The example is, if you once have translated house as rumah >-- Every "house" word below our sheet would be changed automatically into "rumah". It's quite helpful and will make our work easier when we have worked so many translation project, because every work we've done can be used as Translation Memory file.
beer:[/SIZE]
Monoxdifly - 10/05/2011 09:25 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By C-14
hi guys..

I'm also a newbie, but I would prefer use ordinary dictionary application rather than the translation program. I prefer translate the whole text byself and only open the dictionary when I have a problem in translating certain phrase/proper word to the context.

Quote:
Original Posted By jchristie

beer:

Seconded. But I dislike those who underestimate translators and rely on translation program so much yet they just accept the result just as it is without any editing at all.

Quote:

As far as I knew, recently Trados, especially Trados 2007 is the most wanted CAT (Computer-Aided Translation) program. You can see on www.proz.com, there are so many foreign agencies included Trados on their requirement project. In Indonesia, HPI often hold a Trados workshop. You can find the information in www.hpi.or.id, but you should compete with many translators who wanted to follow the workshop too.
For your information, at April 20th, HPI opened a registration for Trados Workshop which would be held at May 20. It cost IDR 600.000, and the quota was only for 50 translators. You know what happened? At April 22nd morning, they had to close the registration since the quota has fulfilled.
Then there was 2nd wave registration for workshop on June. In two days, the quota was also fulfilled. It showed how Trados is the most intended TM program for translation world today.

So, you got to keep your eye on every information. or the best thing you can do is trying to find a good tutor on Trados.
Good Luck C-14

Nah, jchristie... I agree that the machine's work cannot compare to translator's work, but it happened if you used kind of Translation machine such as google translate, babylon, etc, but I'm sure it would help you much if you use kind of 'Translation Memory' program or popularly called CAT (Computer-Aided Translation) Tool, such as wordfast, Trados, OmegaT, etc. (in Bahtera, people called it "si meong")
How it works?
The CAT works by making Translation Memory - a kind of file which is ready to call if there is similar word in our translation sheet. The example is, if you once have translated house as rumah >-- Every "house" word below our sheet would be changed automatically into "rumah". It's quite helpful and will make our work easier when we have worked so many translation project, because every work we've done can be used as Translation Memory file.
beer:

Actually It's interesting, but... Honestly, using translation program hurts my pride as translator...
PrianganJaya - 10/05/2011 11:04 AM
eralech
i like read this tread
i know who is translator from this tread
i like reading english
but i want to lear how to speak in good sentenceiloveindonesia
Page 4 of 36 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)