ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 5 of 36 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

Ambrosiana - 10/05/2011 02:02 PM
More About Cat Tools
Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly
I'm also a newbie, but I would prefer use ordinary dictionary application rather than the translation program. I prefer translate the whole text byself and only open the dictionary when I have a problem in translating certain phrase/proper word to the context.

Seconded. But I dislike those who underestimate translators and rely on translation program so much yet they just accept the result just as it is without any editing at all.

Actually It's interesting, but... Honestly, using translation program hurts my pride as translator...

Well I think you misunderstood a bit about Computer Assisted Translation (CAT) Tool, Monox...
CAT Tool is different with translation machine (example: Babylon, Google Translate, Paradox, etc)
Here is the appearance:
Spoiler for Trados display
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

What displayed on the picture is TRADOS. One of the most popular CAT Tool. How does it work?
CAT Tool is integrated with your word processor (example: Microsoft Word)
It works by using data from "Translation Memory" (TM) which made from Your own previous translation.
So it will automatically change the word you've typed into its translation accurately, so it will give you benefit when you worked at the similar document.
Since the data used by CAT Tool here is your own data (TM), I'm sure that it won't hurt your pride as translator.
In fact, recently Trados has become "Primadona" in CAT Tool. Many foreign agencies put Trados Mastery as one of their requirement in working Freelance Translator. This trend made Trados workshop become 'sold out'.
Spoiler for Letter from HPI
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

As you've seen in the letter. Workshop for Trados has been sold out just in one day (previously I wrote two days... I was wrong). So I think it would be great for you to improve your skill in translation by learning CAT Tool, especially Trados.
Monoxdifly - 10/05/2011 09:06 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Well I think you misunderstood a bit about Computer Assisted Translation (CAT) Tool, Monox...
CAT Tool is different with translation machine (example: Babylon, Google Translate, Paradox, etc)
Here is the appearance:
Spoiler for Trados display
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

What displayed on the picture is TRADOS. One of the most popular CAT Tool. How does it work?
CAT Tool is integrated with your word processor (example: Microsoft Word)
It works by using data from "Translation Memory" (TM) which made from Your own previous translation.
So it will automatically change the word you've typed into its translation accurately, so it will give you benefit when you worked at the similar document.
Since the data used by CAT Tool here is your own data (TM), I'm sure that it won't hurt your pride as translator.
In fact, recently Trados has become "Primadona" in CAT Tool. Many foreign agencies put Trados Mastery as one of their requirement in working Freelance Translator. This trend made Trados workshop become 'sold out'.
Spoiler for Letter from HPI
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)

As you've seen in the letter. Workshop for Trados has been sold out just in one day (previously I wrote two days... I was wrong). So I think it would be great for you to improve your skill in translation by learning CAT Tool, especially Trados.

I still don't get it about how it works... I actually have never heard about translation memory in Microsoft Word since I always do it manually (open the source tab then type its translation in other tab)... Can you explain it to me? Maybe I'll download it once I know its works...
Ambrosiana - 10/05/2011 10:05 PM

Quote:
I still don't get it about how it works... I actually have never heard about translation memory in Microsoft Word since I always do it manually (open the source tab then type its translation in other tab)... Can you explain it to me? Maybe I'll download it once I know its works...

Hmm, simply I can explain from an example like this:
1. You had a translation project, where you had to translate about 10 business proposals which had similar form, but certainly different content.
2. Since they were very similar, you would find the same words over and over again in each business proposals you worked on.
3. Here the first business proposal you worked on can be used as TM File.
4. When you worked on the second business proposal, CAT Tool will search the same words on your file and offer you to change it directly into target language.
5. You just have to edit the rest of Proposals project, but your work will be much more easier since the words you should be translated, had already translated by this CAT Tool.

That's a simple description about CAT Tool. It will be really helpful for your translation works.
Monoxdifly - 12/05/2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Hmm, simply I can explain from an example like this:
1. You had a translation project, where you had to translate about 10 business proposals which had similar form, but certainly different content.
2. Since they were very similar, you would find the same words over and over again in each business proposals you worked on.
3. Here the first business proposal you worked on can be used as TM File.
4. When you worked on the second business proposal, CAT Tool will search the same words on your file and offer you to change it directly into target language.
5. You just have to edit the rest of Proposals project, but your work will be much more easier since the words you should be translated, had already translated by this CAT Tool.

That's a simple description about CAT Tool. It will be really helpful for your translation works.

Okay, I think I'm interested. Can you give a link to download it?
Ambrosiana - 12/05/2011 12:33 PM

Quote:
Okay, I think I'm interested. Can you give a link to download it?

Unfortunately, there's no Trados shared for free in the Internet. Don't trust the free-shared Trados, they used to contain virus or kind suspicious program.
All translators I knew buy Trados from Official trusted source like Proz. The worst thing is, I don't have it too. CAT Tool I have is wordfast, but I'm not so good using it. I can give it to you by email, but you should learn from someone else. How bout that?....
Monoxdifly - 12/05/2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

All translators I knew buy Trados from Official trusted source like Proz. The worst thing is, I don't have it too. CAT Tool I have is wordfast, but I'm not so good using it. I can give it to you by email, but you should learn from someone else. How bout that?....

OK. Send me email at [email]monoxdifly@yahoo.co.id[/email]

Btw, recently I get a translation job about organizational culture in company world, and the "core" of the text is "acquisition". I get confused in which word can be used as its proper Indonesian word. I've tried "perolehan" and "penerimaan" but think that neither of them make sense. Can you help me to determine the proper word?
Loyz.D - 12/05/2011 03:48 PM

Quote:
OK. Send me email at [email]monoxdifly@yahoo.co.id[/email]

Btw, recently I get a translation job about organizational culture in company world, and the "core" of the text is "acquisition". I get confused in which word can be used as its proper Indonesian word. I've tried "perolehan" and "penerimaan" but think that neither of them make sense. Can you help me to determine the proper word?

How about "akuisisi"? Wait... I think it's better to ask that kind of question in this thread
Ambrosiana - 12/05/2011 05:15 PM

Quote:
OK. Send me email at [EMAIL=monoxdifly@yahoo.co.id]monoxdifly@yahoo.co.id[/EMAIL]

Quote:
Original Posted By Loyz.D
How about "akuisisi"? Wait... I think it's better to ask that kind of question in this thread

Ok. I'll send it. Btw, I agree with Loyz about the "akuisisi" or "pengambil-alihan" word.
Monoxdifly - 13/05/2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Ok. I'll send it. Btw, I agree with Loyz about the "akuisisi" or "pengambil-alihan" word.

OK, thank you. I've downloaded them and will try to use it in my workplace this afternoon. If only I can give you GRP, I'll give you one.
Ambrosiana - 13/05/2011 10:52 AM

Quote:
OK, thank you. I've downloaded them and will try to use it in my workplace this afternoon. If only I can give you GRP, I'll give you one.

Ah, don't mention it. I'm glad to do that.
p3ndo3l - 13/05/2011 10:56 AM

nice thread you got here bro Ambro :toast

I'm currently looking forward to being professional translator but rather confused as to where to begin hammers

those tips literally sum up everything I need to know on starting D

btw, do you work as a translator in Jakarta? malu:

are there any standard minimum pay for fresh graduates looking forward to professional translation?
Ambrosiana - 13/05/2011 01:39 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p3ndo3l
nice thread you got here bro Ambro :toast

I'm currently looking forward to being professional translator but rather confused as to where to begin hammers

those tips literally sum up everything I need to know on starting D

btw, do you work as a translator in Jakarta? malu:

are there any standard minimum pay for fresh graduates looking forward to professional translation?

Aah, in fact, your English great. I thought you are a translator or at least working at some Multinational Company. You should try cause I think you got the skill there...

I don't work in Jakarta. I'm in Malang and working through Internet to find client.

Actually, there is a standard from Himpunan Penerjemah Indonesia, especially document translation, IDR 50.000 per page. But in fact, so many translators took lower price.. (me too) o

Btw, I've just found out that you were an Enthusiast. your clon has similar name, so I can't differ them.
shakehand
p3ndo3l - 14/05/2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

Aah, in fact, your English great. I thought you are a translator or at least working at some Multinational Company. You should try cause I think you got the skill there...

I don't work in Jakarta. I'm in Malang and working through Internet to find client.

Actually, there is a standard from Himpunan Penerjemah Indonesia, especially document translation, IDR 50.000 per page. But in fact, so many translators took lower price.. (me too) o

Btw, I've just found out that you were an Enthusiast. your clon has similar name, so I can't differ them.
shakehand

I was just recently graduated from my college and get confused where to start my career as a translator hammers

I am interested in translation jobs offered at jobsdb.com but for now, none of them in need of eng-indo vice versa translator hammers

I did a lot of translations during my college years though malu:

and yeah, I took low price too since I didn't even know if there are any standards per page o o

as for my clone.... well.... I guess everyone at Kaskus has them o o o
jchristie - 20/05/2011 03:16 PM
translating a PPT presentation
just my 2 cents;

I've been translating some powerpoint presentation and I wonder how would you rate your fee for this kind of assigment? I think it is best to charge by number of slides translated.

The primary reason was because it is a presentation, beautifully arranged in such a way. So, there is a little room to change in the translation process. Other method will be to charge by the number of words used.

The constant hurdle, especially for English to Bahasa translation, is that there will be more words so we should re-arrange the boxes again....

any other thoughts? perhaps on the most effective way when translating a powerpoint presentation? I wonder if we can somehow convert the presentation into text-only MS Word format...
Ambrosiana - 20/05/2011 04:51 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p3ndo3l
I was just recently graduated from my college and get confused where to start my career as a translator hammers

I am interested in translation jobs offered at jobsdb.com but for now, none of them in need of eng-indo vice versa translator hammers

I did a lot of translations during my college years though malu:

and yeah, I took low price too since I didn't even know if there are any standards per page o o

as for my clone.... well.... I guess everyone at Kaskus has them o o o

Ah... I think you mastered English well, you won't get any trouble. But like other translators said, translating is a whole-life learning process if we want to be the best.
Try to offer your service online... and if you want to get a 'book translation project', send an application to Publishers, then prepare for a test. They usually give it to determine your skill.
Quote:
Original Posted By jchristie
just my 2 cents;

I've been translating some powerpoint presentation and I wonder how would you rate your fee for this kind of assigment? I think it is best to charge by number of slides translated.

The primary reason was because it is a presentation, beautifully arranged in such a way. So, there is a little room to change in the translation process. Other method will be to charge by the number of words used.

The constant hurdle, especially for English to Bahasa translation, is that there will be more words so we should re-arrange the boxes again....

any other thoughts? perhaps on the most effective way when translating a powerpoint presentation? I wonder if we can somehow convert the presentation into text-only MS Word format...

I guess in this project you've spent more times to keep them arranged well in power point format. So it would be better if you charged the project per word, then add it with some 'maintaining power point service cost' to respect on your efforts.
Btw, that was what I did when I got power point translation project.

Except you've already had certain 'price policy' about power point translation per page...

Let's see other people's experience about it...
[COLOR="White"]I'm curious too[/COLOR]
Monoxdifly - 21/05/2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Try to offer your service online... and if you want to get a 'book translation project', send an application to Publishers, then prepare for a test. They usually give it to determine your skill.

If we offer our service online, how will we get any fee if we don't have any banking/paypal account? o
I want to try to be a translator in a certain publisher, too. So we don't translate it first and send it to them like if we want to publish a book?
Ambrosiana - 21/05/2011 10:26 AM

Quote:
If we offer our service online, how will we get any fee if we don't have any banking/paypai account? o
I want to try to be a translator in a certain publisher, too. So we don't translate it first and send it to them like if we want to publish a book?

Wow, if you want to offer your service online, I think at least you have to owe a bank account. According to my experience, people prefer BCA.
paypai account needed when you offer your service abroad. clients on proz or translatorscafe used to ask about the paypai thing.

There are some ways to cooperate with publisher.
1. You apply as translator for the publisher. Send your application letter with CV to the publisher. They will send you a test. If they considered that you got the skill, they will send a project contract which included the material, rate offered to you, deadline, and how to cooperate with editor on the project.
You can ask personally to Sis P1nk about it since she has worked for some publishers, including Gramedia, which is the largest publisher in Indonesia. In my history, I just worked in some projects involved some translators (not private as Sis P1nk, where her name then put on the book as translator), monitored by cruel Editor... khekhekhe....

2. You offered your translation book to publisher. I think this procedure wouldn't be good for unknown or early translator since it would spend much time to translate the book first, which is going useless if it's rejected...
If you have already note your name on them (like Sis P1nk), you can try this way.

Habe glucke, Monox!...
Monoxdifly - 21/05/2011 10:50 AM

Quote:
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]
1. You apply as translator for the publisher. Send your application letter with CV to the publisher. They will send you a test. If they considered that you got the skill, they will send a project contract which included the material, rate offered to you, deadline, and how to cooperate with editor on the project.
You can ask personally to Sis P1nk about it since she has worked for some publishers, including Gramedia, which is the largest publisher in Indonesia. In my history, I just worked in some projects involved some translators (not private as Sis P1nk, where her name then put on the book as translator), monitored by cruel Editor... khekhekhe....

I really, really want to do that! I've ever read a book whose translation is very, very pathetic (I mean, the translator tends to translate the words literally without looking at the context).
Unfortunately I don't have leisure time to apply such a job. I'm still a college student and a freelance translator as well, not to mention that I'm also an operator in the computer rental where I work at.
Ambrosiana - 21/05/2011 11:19 AM

Quote:
I really, really want to do that! I've ever read a book whose translation is very, very pathetic (I mean, the translator tends to translate the words literally without looking at the context).
Unfortunately I don't have leisure time to apply such a job. I'm still a college student and a freelance translator as well, not to mention that I'm also an operator in the computer rental where I work at.

Ow don't worry, everything are done online with good salary. If you try to apply for job as translator in Publisher, I can guarantee it wouldn't disturb your job and your status as college student. Here are some fact about working for publisher which can help you to consider it:
* Applying as translator in Publishers doesn't mean that you worked all time for them. They will tie you in per-project contract. The contract usually has long duration (3-6 months). It's enough time to work on 100-400 pages of book, isn't it?
* Applying as translator in one publisher doesn't mean that you fully tied with them. You can also take project from other publisher, as long as you are capable to meet the deadline. I know a famous senior translator from Solo, Rahmani Astuti, who used to receive 3-5 project at the same time, and she could meet the deadline (while she still did other things like giving workshop for writers & translators, household activities, etc)
* the rate usually > IDR 15.000 per page. It would be good for your pocket after you finished a project. More popular the book, more cash you would receive. A senior translator once told me that for last edition of Harry Potter, Gramedia gave rate IDR 30.000 per page in 2 months-length project. Good salary...
* By translating for Publisher, beside the income, you can improve your 'selling value' in translation world. You can put on your CV: "Translating Blablabla book for Blablabla Publisher". It certainly will bring you to higher degree...
Monoxdifly - 21/05/2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Ow don't worry, everything are done online with good salary. If you try to apply for job as translator in Publisher, I can guarantee it wouldn't disturb your job and your status as college student. Here are some fact about working for publisher which can help you to consider it:
* Applying as translator in Publishers doesn't mean that you worked all time for them. They will tie you in per-project contract. The contract usually has long duration (3-6 months). It's enough time to work on 100-400 pages of book, isn't it?
* Applying as translator in one publisher doesn't mean that you fully tied with them. You can also take project from other publisher, as long as you are capable to meet the deadline. I know a famous senior translator from Solo, Rahmani Astuti, who used to receive 3-5 project at the same time, and she could meet the deadline (while she still did other things like giving workshop for writers & translators, household activities, etc)
* the rate usually > IDR 15.000 per page. It would be good for your pocket after you finished a project. More popular the book, more cash you would receive. A senior translator once told me that for last edition of Harry Potter, Gramedia gave rate IDR 30.000 per page in 2 months-length project. Good salary...
* By translating for Publisher, beside the income, you can improve your 'selling value' in translation world. You can put on your CV: "Translating Blablabla book for Blablabla Publisher". It certainly will bring you to higher degree...

Everything are done online? So you mean that I don't have to come to the office and send my application to them via email instead? Then how about the test? And does it mean that the book I'll have to translate is in the form of pdf which is sent via email as well?
Page 5 of 36 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)